4 night on Dream or 5 night on Magic?

• 4 night Dream

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • 5 night Magic

Votes: 33 84.6%

• Total voters

PoohNFriends

DIS Veteran
Help me decide our 1st Disney cruise for next fall.
I am debating between a 4 night on Dream, stopping at both Disney islands; or a 5 night on Magic, stopping at both Disney islands and Nassau. Both are Halloween cruises and looking to do a deluxe interior. The 5 night costs more, but both are nearly the same $ per night.
It will be DH, DD (6 yo, closer to 7 at the time), and myself. We did a 3 night RCCL last year. We likely wouldn't get off at Nassau; DD and I didn't get off RCCL, DH did for a couple hours.

I voted for the Dream. Normally I would say go for the longer cruise. But in this case, I think hitting both private islands and not dealing with Nassau makes the most sense. However, I would also be swayed by the difference in price and the ease/cost of getting to the departure port.

Our first cruise was a 5 night and felt perfect. Our second cruise was a 5 night and felt too short. Our next cruise is a 4 night that we are considering cancelling because it's such a production for a short trip--we would be flying very close to Thanksgiving.

The magic will give you the flavor of DCL while being easier to get around. Extra days are more fun and give you more opportunities for things to sign up for. Plus it’s great to have a port day where at least some of the people get off the boat, easier to get into things and activities (except stores are closed).

Our first cruise was a 5 night and felt perfect. Our second cruise was a 5 night and felt too short. Our next cruise is a 4 night that we are considering cancelling because it's such a production for a short trip--we would be flying very close to Thanksgiving.
5-7 nights is the perfect length. On my last 7 night, I had a blast but was appropriately satisfied getting off the boat upon our return. Anything under 5 nights is too short, especially since most of your first day is a lot of waiting around for things.

Dream has better interior cabins with the magic porthole (if that matters to you) Your little one will likely love it.

However the new island seems to struggle with ships her size vs the size of the Magic

Dream is about to go through a dry dock that might change up a few things (for better or worse remains to be seen).

I voted for the Dream. Normally I would say go for the longer cruise. But in this case, I think hitting both private islands and not dealing with Nassau makes the most sense. However, I would also be swayed by the difference in price and the ease/cost of getting to the departure port.
My vacay savings account would probably appreciate the shorter, less expensive trip. But, I lean toward the longer cruise with the cost per night being similar.
We have have to fly either way. Transportation to/from airport/ship would be cheaper on Dream out of FLL vs Magic at PC.
More people on the Dream means more crowds on the private islands.

Dream has better interior cabins with the magic porthole (if that matters to you) Your little one will likely love it.

However the new island seems to struggle with ships her size vs the size of the Magic

Dream is about to go through a dry dock that might change up a few things (for better or worse remains to be seen).
The bigger Dream on the islands is making me lean toward Magic.
Just read about the Dream dry dock. Doesn't seem to be anything of increased value to our trip.

The Magic is easier to navigate; it definitely feels smaller, with shorter distances between venues.

The Dream has the water ride (giant hamster tube). Magic has a straight-down drop water feature.

Consider what your family likes to do on a cruise and see if one has a better option.

Pool time?

Kids clubs?

Movie theater (essentially same experience).

Rainforest room week pass in the spa for Mom and/or Dad? That usually is Dream.

Does bar venues play into this?

If you want character meet and greet opportunities, more people on the Dream might mean longer lines, missing a character completely.

If you can’t come to a clear answer, I would go with $.

And include hotel prices, flights, and transportation to the port.

I find Fort Lauderdale to be a more convenient set-up than Orlando / MCO / and Port Canaveral (PC).

Once you land, you are so much closer to the hotels and port. With children, not having to do a 50+ minute ride to the port (and back to the airport) seems less stressful. And less expensive. A taxi or rideshare will definitely be less expensive than a Disney bus (currently $45 pp OW between MCO and PC).

At this point in your cruising career, I’m guessing you are okay with a 4-night itinerary, having done 3 nights.

A lot of people poo-poo cruises under 7 nights. I will take whatever length works for a given point in my life.

Help me decide our 1st Disney cruise for next fall.
I am debating between a 4 night on Dream, stopping at both Disney islands; or a 5 night on Magic, stopping at both Disney islands and Nassau. Both are Halloween cruises and looking to do a deluxe interior. The 5 night costs more, but both are nearly the same $ per night.
It will be DH, DD (6 yo, closer to 7 at the time), and myself. We did a 3 night RCCL last year. We likely wouldn't get off at Nassau; DD and I didn't get off RCCL, DH did for a couple hours.
Like many here, have sailed both. Dream hands down. I’d take a 4 night on Dream over 5 on Magic ANY day. The aqua duct alone makes it worth it. The slide on the Magic eats up so much deck space it’s not even funny. Dream is newer. You aren’t missing a darn thing as Nassau isn’t anything I’d lose sleep over. I don’t think you would regret picking the Dream over the Magic at all. Actually, you may even sleep like a baby! 😉

I always go long so I’m 5 days over 4.
And if both ships were 5 days I would still do the Magic. I find that the amount of people make a difference on the island. In addition you get more one on one attention on the Magic. I rode the water ride it was nice. But it’s only one and if you want water rides better to visit a waterpark that has more rides. Sometimes it rains or hurricanes so outside events need to be inside.

I have never found crowding to be any kind of issue on Castaway Cay when sailing either the Magic or the Dream, and I've sailed them both there multiple times. I disagree with the posters who are claiming that will make a difference. In my experience, it hasn't. I also haven't experienced one class of ship having better service than the other. The level of service is consistent across DCL's fleet.

That said, the Dream and the Magic are both great ships, and since you haven't yet sailed on either one and they have similar itineraries, I recommend sailing the 5 night on the Magic simply because it's longer.

Then sail a Dream class ship on your following cruise. There are differences between the two classes of ship, so it's nice to sail them both.

Last edited:
I have never found crowding to be any kind of issue on Castaway Cay when sailing either the Magic or the Dream, and I've sailed them both there multiple times. I disagree with the posters who are claiming that will make a difference. In my experience, it hasn't. I also haven't experienced one class of ship having better service than the other. The level of service is consistent across DCL's fleet.

That said, the Dream and the Magic are both great ships, and since you haven't yet sailed on either one and they have similar itineraries, I recommend sailing the 5 night on the Magic simply because it's longer.

Then sail a Dream class ship on your following cruise. There are differences between the two classes of ship, so it's nice to sail them both.
It’s a bonus of being on the Magic not a deterrent to the Dream. Castaway Cay works just fine for all ships. I have no experience with the new island stop. I just noticed a difference between the two since I have done 8 Magic class ship's in a row and after that I went on 2 Dream class ships.
Of course I had no trouble finding a place to eat or place it be in the sand it just took me a minute to become aware of the other areas.

Thanks all!

We went w/the 5 day Magic!
I liked the longer trip. It will essentially be a sea day (by likely staying on ship at Nassau), followed by the 2 Cays, then real sea day. If we're tired on day 5, we can maybe relax more bc we saw more of ship the 1st full day.

I don't love the idea of leaving out of Port Canaveral. However, my mom & her husband live in Marathon so we'll try meet up w/them on disembarkation day, assuming we have a later flight.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest