4 Adult Foodies Just Back from CSR, F&W

barbeml

DIS Veteran
Ninth trip for me and DH, 10/24-10/28 with our good friends Bill & Stacey, our first time at Coronado Springs.

We loved Maya Grill (had a wonderful dinner there, see below), but Pepper Market was awkward and overpriced, and the food was seriously bland. Everything was fresh and the CMs were lovely, but we expected better tasting food for the price.

Drinks: We had planned a Monorail drink-a-thon and were horrified to see that most of the lounges/bars now use a standardized drink menu featuring lots of awful and overly sweet drinks. We first encountered this at Victoria Falls at AKL, where it is our tradition to have a Mt. Kilamarita or an African Beer before dinner at Boma. The standard drink menu was a huge turn-off. Our Monorail drink-a-thon was aborted after one (lousy) round of drinks at the Outer Rim at the Contemporary (wow, this place has NO appeal at all) and gave up. The trend toward food & beverage uniformity at the resorts is not a good one.

At CSR, we enjoyed fantastic authentic margaritas at Francisco’s. Nice server, a great bartender and an open, relaxed atmosphere here. They offer comp chips and salsa. The chips were warm and pretty good, but the “salsa” was a bowl of watery canned tomatoes. I’m not kidding.

Thank goodness for the Dawa Bar at AK. I had a Harambe Cooler and DH had a Lost on Safari. Both were mixed fresh, strong and excellent.

Food & Wine Festival: For the first time we found this event lacking. Fewer items to sample and almost everything was BLAND. Portions were noticeably smaller, prices were higher. The honey, peanut and Peru booths were on the order of “Why did they bother?” We sampled:

Spicy Beef Empanada from Argentina—pretty tasty, not spicy.
Chilaquiles from Mexico (which we enjoyed so much last year), and found the portion and flavor reduced significantly, although it was OK. The quesadilla was pretty good.
Chile: DH liked the sautéed Corvina (white fish), and the portion was decent.
From Scandinavia we had the Grilled Salmon Tartare (cold salmon salad) and the Meatball with Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes. Both were pretty tasty.
China: Green Tea Plum Wine Cooler was very good.
Thailand: Vegetable Curry with Jasmine Rice was mostly broth & rice, little flavor.
Japan: I don’t eat Sushi, but the other three raved about it, as usual.
Morocco: The beef Kefta pocket was supposed to have hummus. They left that out, along with any flavor.
Oktoberfest: B&S really enjoyed the Pretzel Roll with Sauerkraut and Debriner Sausage, and it was a good portion.
Canada: We all enjoyed the cheddar soup (as always), and DH raved about the Maple Glazed Salmon.
Poland: B & S said the Kielbasa & Pierogie was OK, but small.

Dining:

We had a light lunch at the Pepper Market on arrival day. The other three had a seafood soup, which they enjoyed (small portion), and I had the salad “special,” “Southwestern Chicken Caesar.” The only thing southwestern about it was a spoonful of cold corn and about 5 black beans sprinkled over it. Even a couple of packets of salsa failed to liven it up.

DH and I also had one breakfast at the Pepper Market: we split a waffle with banana topping and an order of bacon. Pretty good.

Dinner at Boma was wonderful as always, and our server was terrific. The soups were a highlight, including seafood, butternut squash and chicken corn. I missed the coconut curry chicken stew, however. The meats were fabulous and there was a great variety of veggies. I note that the chocolate mousse crunch is now done in a big bowl, as opposed to the individual servings. The bread pudding was as delicious as usual. DH and I were celebrating our anniversary, and were presented with an edible anniversary greeting done in chocolate and cookies and dipped strawberries. Very nice.

We also had breakfast at Boma on our departure day. Everything was delicious, especially the roast pork with Boma mustard. Our server was wonderful and attentive, even though she had to chase the family of pigs next to us who tried to skip out without paying. They left the most disgusting mess, including broken bowls and food on the floor.

Breakfast at Kona Café never disappoints. DH and I shared a press pot and each had the Kona Delight, plus biscuits for me and a bran muffin for him. Bill had the pineapple macadamia pancakes and Stacey had the Tonga Toast.

Dinner at the Crystal Palace was the real surprise of the trip. We picked it because we had never been before and always like to try new places each trip. The food was soooooo good, especially the pork, asiago chicken pasta, vegetable pasta and fire roasted corn spoon bread. All was piping hot (or icy cold) and fresh, and the selection was great. We found out that Bill is a "closet" Pooh fan, so we got great pix of him with the characters. Also, the service was surprisingly good and attentive, considering how much of a zoo a character meal can be (especially when the clueless parents at the next table allow their daughter [at least 6--old enough to behave better] to crawl all over the floor and under several other tables, creating a hazard for servers and characters). We will definitely return.

Artist Point was a lovely experience. We highly recommend the 3 course fixed price menu with the accompanying wine flight. For starters, DH had the Smoky Portobello Soup and the rest of us had the Fresh Field Greens, Roasted Beets, Hazelnut Gremolata, Echo Mountain Blue Cheese & Blackberry Vinaigrette. For entrees, B & S had the cedar planked salmon, DH had the buffalo and I had the tenderloin. We all had the cobbler for dessert. The service, food and wine pairings were outstanding. A memorable meal was had by all.

Lunch at Wolfgang Puck Express is always a good bet for us. DH and I both had the Asian Noodle Salad with Chicken (HUGE and flavorful), and we tried the home made chips (Yum!) and a bowl of butternut squash soup for DH.

We decided to stay at the resort for our last night and have dinner at Maya Grill, which the men termed their favorite meal of the trip. Great service (Tania was the best), great food. Tania brought us a large basket of warm bread and incredible chimichurri for dipping (we got the recipe). For starters, we sampled the Caribbean Chicken Roll, Empanadas and Seafood Skillet. DH and Bill had the tuna special, Stacey had the filet and I had the tenderloin tips. Both beef entrees came out seriously undercooked and were sent back for replacement. Mine was a little bland, so I added some of the chimichurri to liven it up. We would definitely go back.

Thanks for the review! Especially on AP! :thumbsup2

I'm trying to decide between AP, CG or Jiko for myself & DH's one night alone on our trip in January! Just can make up our minds!! :confused3

Very sad to hear about the homogenized bar menus. :sad2:

I'm surprised you didn't enjoy F&W booths more, we had lots of good food when we there!

shovan said:
I'm surprised you didn't enjoy F&W booths more, we had lots of good food when we there!

I think it's because we have done F&W so many years in a row and there was so little that was new. Nothing was "bad" it just wasn't very good...it seems that Disney "dumbs down" (my way of saying "makes it milder and less authentic") the food every year.

We love CG, never tried Jiko. Definitely on our list for next time...please post if you try it.

shovan said:
Thanks for the review! Especially on AP! :thumbsup2

I'm trying to decide between AP, CG or Jiko for myself & DH's one night alone on our trip in January! Just can make up our minds!! :confused3

Very sad to hear about the homogenized bar menus. :sad2:

Yeah, we've gone to the F&W for 3 straight years now and I think this was the best one yet. Funny about perception: I thought the portions were bigger this year than either of the last 2 years, and I thought the food itself was outstanding for the most part. But, like I said, I guess it's just all about perception.

Oh, and yes I agree - The Dawa Bar at AK is AWESOME.

It's one of the big perks of visiting AK - love to hit the bar then EE... ;)

barbeml said:
I think it's because we have done F&W so many years in a row and there was so little that was new. Nothing was "bad" it just wasn't very good...it seems that Disney "dumbs down" (my way of saying "makes it milder and less authentic") the food every year.

We love CG, never tried Jiko. Definitely on our list for next time...please post if you try it.

This was our first F&W, so we were just happy to be there! We have visited WDW many times though & I have noticed the "dumbing down" of the food, also. Especially in the some of the older more "exotic" restaurants like Marrakesh.

If you like Chimchurri sauce, you missed out on the Grilled Sirloin with chimichurri sauce at the Argetinian Booth. It was delicious!!

If you had to choose would you pick AP or CG?

Barbeml: Thanks for all the details! Can you remember, when you had dinner at Crystal Palace, if they had prime rib on the buffet? We have ADRs there for our upcoming trip, and am glad to hear how much you enjoyed it there; just hoping they still serve prime rib, though.

shovan said:
If you like Chimchurri sauce, you missed out on the Grilled Sirloin with chimichurri sauce at the Argetinian Booth. It was delicious!!

If you had to choose would you pick AP or CG?

I am definitely going to make a batch of chimichurri sauce one of these days...it goes with almost everything!

I would pick CG for the view and more variety (at least when I was there) and because DH loves sushi.

dixiedizfan said:
Barbeml: Thanks for all the details! Can you remember, when you had dinner at Crystal Palace, if they had prime rib on the buffet? We have ADRs there for our upcoming trip, and am glad to hear how much you enjoyed it there; just hoping they still serve prime rib, though.

Yes, Prime Rib was being carved and there was horseradish sauce. Stacey said it was wonderful. I was filling up on pork, LOL!

I can't say enough about how good CP was. The food was well attended and when a fresh batch came out it was so hot I had trouble holding my plate after piling it on! The pasta with chicken, mushrooms and asiago cheese was so rich & tasty I wish I could have fit more. The other pasta I loved was orechiette (looks like little saucers) with all kinds of delicious roasted veggies in a balsamic sauce (I think). So good.

The only dessert I tried was the bread pudding with Bailey's sauce (yummy), but folks all around us seemed pleased with their cookies, cakes & sundaes.

barbeml said:
I am definitely going to make a batch of chimichurri sauce one of these days...it goes with almost everything!/QUOTE]

That's so funny, I've been saying the same thing since we've returned almost a month ago! :lmao: Thanks for the restaurant tip! We haven't tried Crystal Palace either, so maybe we'll try that too! We'll definitely hit Dawa Bar!!

Thanx for the reviews. I have noticed alot of dumbing down in the restaurants too, I'm just hoping I won't taste that at the F&W Fest this weekend. I don't go to it yearly, this will be my 4th, so there is still alot of Freshness to it for me.

I loved the Maya Grill review, I haven't seen much about it. I'd go just for the chimmichurri dipping. I am a complete chimmichurri junkie. Would you care to PM me your recipe from Maya? I love trying different recipes for it.

great reviews --and I'll third the DAWA is great place for a drink.

This was my first-ever F&W festival, but I was not wowed by the food by any stretch of the imagination. We didn't have anything that was better quality or more interesting than what we could get on a buffet. I know that's to do with the quantity. We infinitely prefer just sticking with the signature restaurants; I think that the flavor gets sacrificed to volume in the myriad of small booths selling overpriced bites.

Next year, we will do the events, but not the booths.
Cheers!
Heather W

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter