3 teens in Tokyo! - we survived!! - Trip Report!!! Now with Photos!!!

Love the pictures of the food dispensing machines. :thumbsup2

TDL looks beautiful. Must have been a fantastic experience at DisneySea. And I'm pleased to see that everyone was sitting down during the parade. I expect that it means better viewing for all.

Thanks for sharing.

Love that everone sat down for the parade - what a wonderful custom that is!

I almost felt sick with anxiety reading of your stressful situation at the train station- I would certainly have been shaking with nerves too!!!

Once we were entitled on this train I calmed down and enjoyed the ride, this was no bullet train - it was weird we were seated right at the very end,with panoramic view of the country side, sort of like being on the front of the monorail.

Untitled by batty2750, on Flickr

We arrived in Yudanaka which really is a tiny village and I imagine there are only a couple of trains a day from this one platform station- on booking our ryokan we were told to go to the visitors centre at the station and call them from there and we would be picked up. When we got off the train, looking sort of lost, there was a volunteer who showed us where to go and arranged for them to call our ryokan,

Soon enough a mini van pulled up and took us to Biyunoyado. The driver spoke English, but it was difficult to understand, so conversation was limited.
http://www.yudanakaview.co.jp/rooms/index.html

I had chosen this place to stay, based on Tripadvisor reviews. We were shown our rooms and a had a quick look around. We asked the guide where we could get some lunch - he looked at us in confusion, much tummy patting and we were pointed up the road. At this stage, it was about 12:30 on a Friday, surely we could get something to eat.
Well we wandered in the direction we were pointed and found nothing, not a shop that was open, a restaurant or anything. It was like a ghost town. Eventually DH found a place, and I don't know how he spotted it, because from the outside it didnt look like a restaurant, but he pushed the door and it opened and we were welcomed in. Considering our options, which were none, we went in and sat down. It felt like we were in someone's house, there was one long table in the middle of the room, a very old man was sitting there eating, we were seated with him. There were a few other low tables with cushions for seats, there were old books and bottles and the place was yellowed from years of smoking - I don't think anything had been touched in there for fifty years.

We were given some handwritten menus in English. - I could tell the children were a bit bewildered, but dd saw fried chicken written down, so she said she would have that, DS had the same, I ordered for the other DS who is the fussiest, I ordered something that had pork, because he had been enjoying that at Ikspieri, DH and I had a bowl of ramen with pork. I will let the photos speak for themselves. The meal was surprisingly good, and each meal was around 700yen or $7!

the old man was smiling at us struggling with chopsticks and was trying to show us how to use them. - gosh I wish I had taken his photo, but thought that was rude to do, although I am sure he wouldn't have minded,

As we were leaving and DH paid, DS looked through the curtain to the kitchen and he tells me now that it's probably a good thing I didn't see it - he says there was probably 50years of gunk covering everything - well we survived, and it certainly was an experience.

After lunch we headed back to the inn and the driver would take us to the monkey park.

We were dropped off at the entrance, there is a walk of about 1.5kms but it is a wide and easy path to follow. Our driver said he would pick us up at 4:00 as it was only 2:00, I didn't see how we would fill our time, but agreed.

Did I mention it was freezing, although there was no snow in the immediate area, you could feel that it wasn't far away. We had coats etc, but they really weren't adequate. Dd had boots on, but they were cheap and had a very thin sole, which was just like walking on a piece of paper, (she can't be told!!) and she was complaining the whole time after the epic trip to get there "these monkeys better be awesome" - we were making jokes about how they better be riding bikes or something to make it worth our while.

Looks like we're on the right track!

It took about thirty minutes to walk and We eventually found the monkey pool and they were definitely cute to watch. After a few photos DD and I had had enough of the cold and found a visitors centre/ shop to visit. This was a very "rustic" place , but it had a heater and sold instant hot chocolate - so we warmed up there and killed some time before walking back out to meet our driver.

Along the path there are several signs warning not to feed the monkeys and that the monkeys will grab any sort bag you may be carrying. Well we had forgotten about that and DS had bought a small souvenier in the shop and was carrying it in a white paper bag. He was walking upfront with DH and DD, when a big old monkey approached him aggressively, he put the bag behind his back and there were another two approaching him from behind - DH puffed out his chest and got all macho and showed them who was boss and they cowered away. DS wasn't scared, he thought it was quite funny, like being accosted by bushrangers, but DD freaked out considerably.

We arrived back in our ryokan and relaxed for a while before our dinner. The ryokan had traditional hot spring baths, these are gender separated but public baths, i I didn't expect the teens to partake, but I certainly was.

Well I couldn't believe it, all the time we were walking back from the monkey park - DD kept saying how she was looking forward to her nice warm bath!! We got back and I said are you coming with me??
To my surprise she did, we put on our Yukata, that had been provided and went downstairs. When using these baths it's important that you use the shower first and sit on a small stool and really wash yourself, you the get into the bath fully naked, no swimwear or towel allowed. There was one other lady in the room, but I assured DD she had better things to do than watch her.
We were both uncomfortable doing this, but persevered and then got in the hot bath - which was divine!!!

Meanwhile DH had partaken in the gents - the two boys abstained. DH said there were quite a few men in his, it was definitely out of his comfort zone, this room had a separate outdoor bath. Each night the bathrooms are cleaned and switched - so in the morning the girls could use this one. DD was keen to try the outside bath - she kept saying that all her friends would not believe she had done this - so I was very proud if her!

I think I'd be pretty uncomfortable getting in and out of the baths; but I expect it was well worth it for the experience!

Sounds like a great day.

Trust me, there are no photos !,

While the other lady didnt bother me too much, the wall to wall mirrors sure did!!

6:30pm - time for dinner!!

I was certainly looking forward to this meal, it was a full kaiseki dinner, all 14 courses (I think, I lost count) prepared and displayed beautifully! Again, this was pushing it for my family.

We had read in the hotel brochure that after having an onsen bath, you wear your Yukata, and then wear it to dinner as well as to bed. We had a funny discussion about whether to wear underwear or not, and then DH said he certainly wasn't going to wear his pyjamas to a restaurant, so we all got dressed.

Well, we got downstairs to the restaurant and we were the only table not wearing Yukata - I contemplated making everyone go back, but that was never going to happen, so we sat down and I lamented the lost photo opportunities!!

The table had already been laid out with several items. Mushrooms that were literally growing on a stump. - apparently if you are Japanese, you can take the stump home and grow more mushrooms, - we didn't think australian customs would appreciate it, so left ours there.
Each person had there own small tea lite grill thing and the mushrooms were put on this. There was beef shibu shibu, and many interesting things, most of which we did not know, the staff spoke no english, so there was no explanation of what was what. the reviews on trip adviser raved about this meal.

I have to say I am not a fussy eater, and gave most of it a try. I was so proud of my kids for trying things as well. But to be honest we all left hungry - it was an experience for sure, but I am happy to have done it once only,

I have photos, but it was sort of uncomfortable taking them, so there are not many.

We headed back to our room, and futons had been laid out for us on the tatami floor. We snuggled down, and I have to say this was the most heavenly bed, the doona was so fluffy, like being inside a cloud. I was so warm throughout the night, that I was reaching for the plug, I was convinced there was some type of electric blanket within the futon.

Thursday 18th April

Before we left, I had packed our luggage and dropped it into luggage services - we were sending it via "takkyubbin" or courier to our accommodation in Kyoto. Apparently this is commonplace in Japan to avoid carrying luggage on trains, but was a giant leap of faith for me!!

Battymum - can you share any more information on the Takkyubin service? Did you arrange it online on your own or was the hotel able to set up everything for you?

I have a trip coming up to TDR and it sounds like a great way to avoid carrying full size suitcases on the subway during rush hour as my family heads to Kyoto.

Thanks for the excellent trip report. Looking forward to reading about the remainder of your trip!

Battymum - can you share any more information on the Takkyubin service? Did you arrange it online on your own or was the hotel able to set up everything for you?

I have a trip coming up to TDR and it sounds like a great way to avoid carrying full size suitcases on the subway during rush hour as my family heads to Kyoto.

Thanks for the excellent trip report. Looking forward to reading about the remainder of your trip!

We organised the takkyubbin through the concierge at the Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay -

Your hotel should be able to help you, apparently its quite common - if your next destination is a hotel they will accept it, as we were staying in a house - we specified a window for delivery (between 4:00 and 6:00pm) and our contact assured us she would be there to receive it. We paid about 2000Yen per bag. ($20)

There are drop off places at a lot of 7/11s - I would be unsure how to complete the paperwork without any Japanese though.

It would have been extremely difficult for us to get on the train at Maihama at that time of the morning with the suitcases.

In the morning we headed to breakfast wearing our Yukata - only to find we were the only ones wearing them!! A quick about turn and we all got dressed.

We had ordered western style breakfast, I can't remember the details, but it was adequate.

After breakfast DD and I tried the alternate onsen bath, we even ventured into the outdoor one. (It's very private, with screens, but it was nice to have the fresh air on your face and the warm bath.

After this there was nothing to do until we were to be taken to the station at 9:30 - DH and I went for a walk around the village, there really was nothing here. It's not far from the ski fields, I think a lot of people stay here during ski season, but in April the only attraction is the monkey park,

As I had chosen this ryokan based on consistently positive reviews on trip advisor - I was disappointed to read in the material left in the room that you could get a free coffee in their coffee shop if you left a review during your stay. I know not to trust reviews on either end of the spectrum, but this place had consistently positive feedback,

As for my opinion, to be honest it wasn't as great as the reviews suggested it would be - a lot of them rave about hospitality like you have never experienced elsewhere and feeling like old friends after one day, super friendly staff. Well other than a couple of words from the driver no one spoke to us at all!! we were pretty much ignored. We weren't that impressed with the meal, the rooms were OK, the private bathrooms were pretty tired, and it was very expensive, coming in at just under $700 for the one night, you have to pay per person, at $130 per head. We had two rooms, but even if you could fit in one room (max 4) you pay per person.

Lucky for us, the australian dollar had appreciated by 20% in the time of my planning, because my first notes had me pricing this at $900!!

So adding in the fact that it took two days out of our holiday - I probably wouldn't do it again.

We were taken back to the station at 10:00 - we made our way back to Nagano via the slow train and then took the Shinkansen back to Tokyo -then we connected with another Shinkansen to Kyoto. This trip covered a lot of extra ground - we could have taken a different train direct from Nagano and connected on route with the same kyoto Shinkansen , but this would have been on a slow train - as we had JR passes, it wouldnt cost us anything, and we would arrive in kyoto at the same time, so we figured we may as well cover the extra ground in a more comfortable train.

We arrived in Kyoto at 4:15, so it was a full day of travelling and was quite exhausting.

I had been quite firm with the kids that we would not be eating Macdonalds on this trip, but because they did so well during the kaiseki dinner, I promised them they could have it today. So conveniently there was one located right at the taxi rank in kyoto station.

They had their fill and then we jumped into two taxis - (why are there no taxi vans in this city???) , to find our house.

I had been given the following map to help us reach the house.

image by batty2750, on Flickr

So we handed it to the taxi driver, who couldn't seem to make any sense of it. Luckily I think DH' driver understood it a bit better and my driver just followed his.

I had been feeling uneasy about the existence of this house - I had booked it back in August and had paid in full. At the time I couldn't find any reviews on the company I booked it through other than testimonials on their own website. I searched and searched and figured if it was not legitimate there would be something written somewhere - I made sure to pay by credit card, so hopefully have some sort of recourse should things go awry

http://www.japan-experience.com/

Since confirming the booking, I had tried looking for the property on google maps, but it is off their range. Saki had been emailing me regularly but I was still uneasy.
Needless to say, I was very nervous in this cab, to the point where, as we were passing hotels that I had read about I was thinking, "well if it doesn't work out, I will try there,"
It was cold and raining, getting dark, we had no luggage, the cab seemed to be taking all sorts of back streets, luckily DH's cab was always within sight. I had visions of us turning up to a vacant block!! - too much time on the NYC tripadvisor boards I guess!

The good news, we finally arrived after about 20minutes, the house was down an alley - I found it and Saki was there to welcome us, along with our luggage. I can't tell you the relief I felt.!!!

The house was exactly as described. It wouldn't win any awards for interior decorating, very basic, but clean and more spacious than our one room at the sheraton - I was thrilled. It was spread over three levels with the double room being at the very top and the toilet on the ground. The bedroom had a shower, but no toilet- go figure?

Let me tell you, that was a test of your pelvic floor first thing in the morning!!

I was especially grateful to have access to a washing machine and dryer, as well as some outdoor hanging space, although you literally had to climb out the window to hang your washing on a very small balcony!! . When travelling with a family, these sort of amenities far outweigh any sort of luxury!

We only used the kitchen for breakfast but it was nice to have.

Our only complaint was we had a double bed, this wouldn't normally bother me and DH on holiday, but the doona that was supplied seemed to only just cover it, so there was lots of squabbling during the night over the doona. We could not get the fitted sheet that was provided for this bed to fit either, we had to improvise with a quilt cover we found, so I think the linen provider got it mixed up.

The two boys slept on futons in the tatami room and DD had the room with two single beds. Why didnt I move down there with her when DH was stealing my blankets , I don't know!

Saki spoke perfect English and showed how to work the house, she arranged for two taxis to come and pick us up on our departure day and then we went on a quick walk around the immediate neighbourhood, she showed us the bus stop, the supermarket, and knew the opening hours. I couldn't have been happier with the services of Japan,experience.

We organised the takkyubbin through the concierge at the Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay -

Your hotel should be able to help you, apparently its quite common - if your next destination is a hotel they will accept it, as we were staying in a house - we specified a window for delivery (between 4:00 and 6:00pm) and our contact assured us she would be there to receive it. We paid about 2000Yen per bag. ($20)

There are drop off places at a lot of 7/11s - I would be unsure how to complete the paperwork without any Japanese though.

It would have been extremely difficult for us to get on the train at Maihama at that time of the morning with the suitcases.

Thank you so much for this information. We plan to use this service a couple of times during our upcoming visit, and it is great to hear firsthand from someone that it actually works.

:worship: Thanks so much for the info!!! We will definitely have to give this a try!

Fantastic updates. Toilet on the ground floor? Only one?

One of my bookings for the September trip is off the google maps. I totally understand your disquiet. :thumbsup2

Sunday 21st April

Today we had arranged for a guide to show us a bit of Kyoto - I had arranged this through http://kyotofreeguide.sakura.ne.jp/. Miki, our guide was lovely, and very eager to make a nice day for us. .

miki had been in regular contact with me and had arranged to meet at our house at 9:00am. She arrived promptly at 9:00 and we headed to the bus stop.
All fares on Kyoto buses are 220¥ each trip or an all day pass is 500¥. miki had already purchased all day passes for us. I promptly reimbursed her.

Our first stop was Kyoto station, Miki had already asked me if I minded if she brought a friend along - of course I didn't, so we were to meet her at the station and then make our way to the Toji temple markets. This was a huge flea market within temple grounds, lots of food, craft, second hand goods, and people. I had read abut this market and was keen to go as I felt it was not the usual tourist trap type of market,

I was not disappointed!

As we were now a party of seven, we split three ways and arranged to meet up in 90minutes.

Not many purchases but, we all loved the hustle and bustle, I would have liked to spend a little more time here. I did pick up a lovely silk obi - which is the bit they wrap around the waist on a kimono - it's really lovely,but it's so long and heavy, I am using it as a table runner, and it is completely doubled over on my 6foot table. There must be so much weight in a full kimono with all the accessories.

We had agreed to meet at the gate where we had entered, unfortunately we didnt know that there were four gates that all looked exactly the same! So when the time came to meet up, DD and I could not find the correct gate. - we eventually found the right one and we moved on.

We hopped on a bus and went to a ramen place for some lunch, delicious and lunch for 7 cost about 7400 ¥ -( $74). We were not obliged to pay for Mikis friend, but of course we insisted,

Next stop was the kyomizudera temple. This temple was founded in 798 - that's 1205 years ago!!! Although its present buildings only date back to 1633 - which still makes it more than 150 years older than anything in Australia!! It's listed as a UNESCO world heritage site, It was pretty impressive just standing on something so old. We wandered around the buildings for a while - call me cynical but everywhere you turn in these places there is somewhere to throw money, either in a pond, or for a fortune.

Miki had asked if we would like to pay money and go in to Buddhas womb?
if we weren't with her, I would have assumed the people's going in were just the devout, but we paid our money (not much) took off our shoes and followed the line of people. Miki had said "it's really dark inside if you drop something it's gone! " .

Basically we went in, held onto a handrail and it was seriously pitch black - we followed and touched a big rock,then followed it back out and will now be blessed forever!

All of the temples have a market stalls leading to them, I guess it was the village back in the day, but now serves as a tourist attraction. being the tourists we are, we enjoyed these shops.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter