2nd guessing my trip :(

mommymanda

Mouseketeer
Please help me, maybe my numbers are not accurate.

We are a family of 5 (2 adults, 7,9 and 15year old). We take one big trip every other year and have had three amazing Disney trips so far. My family enjoys it, but have asked to try Universal this time. I'm good with new, but things are not adding up for me to commit.

First is simple math/budget. Obviously costs are expected to be up there. Its Florida, we are 5.

I've priced both Cabana Bay and Royal Pacific.

For 5 nights/6day resort and 3day 3 park to park tickets prices are expected. Yet with help of research here I realize I also need to add airport shuttle. Apparently I need to pay for a bed for my 'extra' child to sleep in each night (only RPR, if I'm reading right Cabana Bay suites actually sleep 5) I'm adding another $300.

Than the obvious cost of food.

With those numbers all added in a 7night/8day (with 6 day park tickets) Disney trip actually works out cheaper than the shorter Universal vacation. Our travel dates fall under Disney's Free dining, so as long as that promotion continues the savings work for us.

Am I missing something here? Are my numbers off, or does Universal offer a discount that will appear late August as well to help me save? Are there going to be any other added costs I'm missing?

Express pass resort or no?
As mentioned we plan late August (21-26 at this point). Do I plan RPR to get the Unlimited pass, or can we save the money and be able to get on rides with a Cabana Bay stay? My concern is the new resort so more people, plus not having been to Universal before I don't even know if there is a 'slow time' there.

Rides?
The money aside the other concern that keeps coming up is if its right for us. My husband and eldest love thrill rides. My younger two and myself are more keen to the kiddy section and my younger two do not enjoy the 3D style rides at all. Again my research is telling me that Universal is a lot of those things. I hope for this I'm just over thinking it, can I still keep my ride fearing younger two entertained while others are on rides?
EDITITING TO UPDATE! I've looked into others posts and did more online reading. Rides/entertainment are no longer a concern . I think my crew will be busy and fine with the parks and my 9 year old is actually interested in a coaster or two now.

I want this trip to happen, my kids keep asking, but I also want to make sure we are getting the best trip for what we spend. I need some tips to help ease my fears here and just book.

Last edited:
I’m not sure about the math..

But it does sound ride wise it’s not the best.. however could you just add a 1-2 day universal trip while your at Disney?

It’s discouraging when posters only want to compare the math to Disney. Please, just set your Disney expectations and experiences aside. You’ll be much happier! Make a budget for this trip alone- heck, pretend your going to NYC for a week and figure out your vacation budget. Then apply your budget to Universal and see if you can swing it. If you can, then do it. And don’t look back over to see how much it’d cost to do Disney instead. Try something new! Sorry, we’ve had posters that’s just can’t get past the “value” comparison and they wind up canceling, to the disappointment of their family.
If you can get this trip in your budget then that’s good enough. Don’t nitpick the details. Yes, you’d pay $300 more for that 5th guest at RP. Have you done the math to see how much an Express Pass would cost for that 5th person for that many days? More than $300. ;)
I do think the EPs are worth it in the summer but with 5 days, you can manage without them. Hit the parks morning and evening, hotel pool mid-day or the awesome play areas in the parks mid-day (everyone young and old can play in Camp Jurassic!) or shows if ride lines are too long. Universal isn’t only thrill rides.
Go! Have fun! And don’t think about how much Disney would cost. :)

That's what I thought too, Sugart. I'm pretty sure 3 kids and 2 adults does not incur an additional fee.

Yes, you would only pay extra if there was another over 18.

2 adults and 3 kids won’t incur that charge.

You would however pay for the rollaway if you needed one.......avoid this by bringing an air mattress and have Star Services bring bedding to go with it........no charge for that.....

With 5 ppl, you would also save some $ by booking a private driver or Uber XL instead of the airport shuttle.

Staying at RPR with the EPs will be a more relaxing experience but you can totally fit it all in with 5 park days while staying at CBBR.

We love Universal so much and see it as great value! We haven't been back to Disney since we started going to Universal!

With 5 ppl, you would also save some $ by booking a private driver or Uber XL instead of the airport shuttle.

Staying at RPR with the EPs will be a more relaxing experience but you can totally fit it all in with 5 park days while staying at CBBR.

We love Universal so much and see it as great value! We haven't been back to Disney since we started going to Universal!

My 5th person cost is the roll away at $25/night. No chance we can get an air mattress as flying is a whole chunk of cash in its own, no space for extras.

Also my price is for 3 day 3 park to park tickets. Adding to 5 days will obviously increase our total again. We are not gate open people, usually its 9-10am before we are heading to parks. If I stay Cabana Bay we would go without the EP option entirely in order to save $$$.

Have definatley just started researching airport transportation, so if I can cut some costs there, perfect.

When it comes to numbers I kind of have to compare. It will not be "to the dissapointment of my family" if we plan elsewhere. If I cant make numbers balance than we simply dont go. If plans chance because we can afford one trip over another they are happy to travel. What I am trying to figure out is the value I hear everyone mention they find at Universal. I feel like Im missing it in my research because Im getting a shorter stay, less park time etc for more money.

Add that to my ride fears and yes im nervous, i dont want to spend the vacation stressing about a wasted trip.

Side note. As a family of 5 I'm estimating $1500 in food over the days. Light breakfast, quick lunch, occasional CityWalk supper. Plus two snacks (this is cold drinks as well) and coffee. Does this seem reasonable? I am hoping Im way over, but I've pulled up menus and if that is how we eat it came up close with tips.

Are there any grocer deliveries to the Universal resorts?

I was just trying to say that how much would you pay to vacation somewhere other than Disney in general, as your big trip? What lodging prices can you afford? I see no reason to compare it to Disney.
Theme park trips are always pricey because of insane ticket prices. Look at a place like Undercover Tourist and compare the direct prices. Often you can find a buy 3 day, get 1 free or even buy 2 get 2 free.
Yes, UberXL or Lyft will be cheaper than the shuttle.
If you’re a Costco member, look there too for prices.
Don’t undervalue Express Passes. Disney’s fast pass isn’t even comparable .

We are not gate open people, usually its 9-10am before we are heading to parks.

Then you want express pass.

If I cant make numbers balance than we simply dont go.

Balance with what?

As a family of 5 I'm estimating $1500 in food over the days. Light breakfast, quick lunch, occasional CityWalk supper. Plus two snacks (this is cold drinks as well) and coffee. Does this seem reasonable? I am hoping Im way over, but I've pulled up menus and if that is how we eat it came up close with tips.

We use the same food numbers for Disney and Universal.

Macraven, our fair leader here, has suggested to have Star Services come in with extra bedding to make a “pallet” on the floor for the 5th person. No extra $25. Just a tip.

Are you truly comparing resort costs right though? Once you’re at preferred at POR or the other Wdw resorts that have the bed for the 5th person you’re not in cheap-resort-land anymore.

My husband wants the thrill rides but can’t yet. He goes on everything else and has a blast.

My son loves the thrill rides but his mom won’t let him go alone (“what if?”, she thinks...). He goes on what I allow him on and on everything else and has a blast. (Except for gringotts. He and I don’t like the side to side movement and are so disappointed it’s not a decent coaster that we have a hard time enjoying it)

I want to like the thrill rides but am afraid and so I can at max go on two a day without crying.

I dislike 3d simulators except for Shrek and despicable Me (which are HILARIOUS). So I don’t love Spider-Man and transformers. So sometimes I go and sometimes I sit out.

I go on everything else and have a blast.

Your group is diverse in their interests. It’s not like the dislikes are for everyone. You’ll find all sorts of things to look and see and do.

The family wants to go. Have them help plan.

And do the longer tickets if you’re there that long. Just like at Disney once you go above 3 days it’s not that much to add on days.

Plus you’ve got ALL the pools at the whole place open to you (pool hopping is allowed and encouraged), the resorts are relaxing, not crazy, there’s mini golf at city walk. It’s a proper vacation.

Oh, and be sure you’re looking at booking room-only. That way is better rates come out you can change it. Then buy your tickets from
UO, from undercovertourist, mapleleaftickets...from wherever you choose.

The larger playgrounds in each park can easily eat up half a day for the younger kids. Camp Jurassic in Islands of Adventure is huge. Explore Me Ship, The Olive also in Islands of Adventure. It's a small play area, but at the top is several nozzles for spraying people riding Bilge Rat Barges. Doctor Seuss area is great for kids. How about pool slides at Hard Rock Hotel and Portofino Bay? Lazy river at Cabana Bay. All resorts have large pool areas. Mini golf and bowling are on-site too.

$1500 for 5 people over six days food budget is doable but limited options. Many of the menus are available on the website.

Hi I think the end of August is a slower time and you can probably swing without the EP. However, just another thought is you could do a split stay we have several times. You could go to RPR for two nights and get the EP for three days (check in day, middle day and check out day) then transfer to CBBR. We just did this in July/August and we found it fine.

I agree with doing the room only reservation and and if you want to make more use of park time add the extra days for a minimal amount.

It looks like you are doing VB if you are buying a 3 park ticket. If you are CBBR is great for that park. Especially you don't get EP included with any of the hotels.

As far as rides I think there is something for everyone. I think the parks themselves have a lot to see and do. If you are HP fans a little or a lot, those areas are amazing. Also, when we go we look at it as an inclusive vacation. We enjoy the resorts and the pools just as much.

Being able to pool hop is a nice thing too. We stayed at the family suite in CBBR this summer and really enjoyed it.

Good luck! Anything else fire away:)

Can someone fit a twin blow up mattress in a carryon- one of the kids maybe? Or stop at Walmart and get a twin blowup for about $25 on the way, get snacks and bottled water and other beverages then too. Honestly I think a blowup is more comfortable than a rollaway anyway.

Hi also if you want to do a grocery run or maybe get an air mattress you should contact Tony Hinds. He has a thread on this board for questions you might have. We use him every time we go. He gives a round trip or one way price and it includes a grocery run. He is great to use and he comes very highly recommended.

If you decide on RPR, I'd look at the cost to add Club Level to your room. This ended up being a savings for our family of 4. We used it for a nice breakfast every morning and the appetizers turned into dinner few nights. I think with 5 days at the hotel and only 3 park days, you'd get alot of use out of it.

Hi also if you want to do a grocery run or maybe get an air mattress you should contact Tony Hinds. He has a thread on this board for questions you might have. We use him every time we go. He gives a round trip or one way price and it includes a grocery run. He is great to use and he comes very highly recommended.

I have seen this name come up and was going to look into whether he can fit us all. I also have to figure out flight times still. Ideally we arrive early afternoon than I can factor in a grocery stop somehow...but reality will likely be late evening to save some $$$.

The larger playgrounds in each park can easily eat up half a day for the younger kids. Camp Jurassic in Islands of Adventure is huge. Explore Me Ship, The Olive also in Islands of Adventure. It's a small play area, but at the top is several nozzles for spraying people riding Bilge Rat Barges. Doctor Seuss area is great for kids. How about pool slides at Hard Rock Hotel and Portofino Bay? Lazy river at Cabana Bay. All resorts have large pool areas. Mini golf and bowling are on-site too.

$1500 for 5 people over six days food budget is doable but limited options. Many of the menus are available on the website.

Explore me ship is awesome. I spent way too much time there in Oct of 2016. It was only my wife and I, adults only trip. I'm 36.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter