I've never stayed in the cabins, but you'll be very happy and safe at FW. It's not like camping at a backwoods campground.

There's night security in that the gate is manned. I don't know if anyone goes around the resort, but they don't do that at any Disney resorts.

You park right at your cabin. They have phones and air and heat. I'd guess there's an outside light, but not having stayed in one, I'm not sure.

There are a lot of free activities, including a trail, night time campfire, singalong, and movie, and a beach you can walk on. For a fee, you can canoe down the river, go horse riding, go on a hayride, or fish. There may be some other activities as well. I seem to recall tennis or volleyball or something, but I don't do those things.

The ressies are just like all the other Disney resorts. You'll have to pay a deposit when you book; how much depends on if you book through DC, CRO or WDW Travel. That will also dictate how far ahead of time you have to cancel, but I think the longest one is 60 days out, so you'd still have a while.

Hey Kermit!

Nice to see you over here! Thanks for the answers to my questions.. I've never stayed on-site at any of the Disney Resorts so I'm pretty clueless..

C.ANN...i would highly rec the fw cabins to you....how many people are you taking?....we love em....we have 4 kids and it works out alot better than the standard hotel room...you should be able to book a cabin for around 139.00 a night...it is well worth the money as it feels like a small home compared to a hotel room...we bring food w/us and it saves money so maybe you could work that out....we have stayed in the cabins several times so just let me know if i can help you...just ask!:p

Well how fast can you pedal!.....Just kidding.....The bikes are average bikes. I am not sure on the cost but I believe they are inexpensive. If you plan to stay until closing you may consider driving your vehicle. Last time we stayed for the fire works we stood in line for the boat for about an hour. Not a treat with four kids ages 14-3....The cabins are stocked with dishes, a 10 cup coffee pot,pans, silverware, grill on the deck, lighter fluid and charcol, it has a pinic table on the deck. There is a queen size bed plus bunk beds in the bed room, a murphy bed in the living room. There are also two pools open 24hrs. There is a full sized fridge, stove/oven and a microwave.

Oh boy is my face red!!!

I didn't mean how fast the bikes "go" - as in speed - I meant do people snap them up quick and then you can't rent any.. LOL

Guess I should proof read a little better, huh?

You could stay on-site at a value or moderate resort for much less than 139 per night.

These rooms will be plenty large enough for three people.

Renee

Excuse me. But the cabins are classified as a "Home away from Home Resort". Not a Moderate or Value Resort. Lets not compare Apples and Oranges. A Cabin can sleep up to 6, has a fully equiped kitchen, front deck, (with a light), BBQ and yes you do park right next to your cabin. No Moderate or Value Resort has these ammenities or atmosphere.

Prices start at $224 during Value season and go as high as $314 during the Holidays, (which I assume is Easter, and Christmas).

Even with a AAA discount or DC discount you may get a better
rate, but I doubt as low as the $139 quoted above. Most discounts are 10% off rack rates, sometimes have blackout dates, and other restrictions (like no Friday or Saturday night stays). If you use a discount, plan on being flexible with your days.

DVCDave --- chill out. It appeared that they were looking to save money. For three people a resort may be a perfectly acceptable option. Some of us don't want "a home away from home" --- cause I don't cook on vacation.

Renee

Sorry, I didn't mean for my post to sound angry. I just wanted to clarify some of the information in this thread, and answer some of the questions that hadn't been answered.

Thanks for that clarification, DVCDave..

Fort Wilderness sounds SO neat and I've never even seen it! :)

We leave for the cabins tomorrow (Yippee!!) and it's our first time. I got a rate of $189 a night with the DC discount and a code. I thought that this was a GREAT rate for a "home away from home".

There are 5 of us....3 adults and 2 kids. We are really looking forward to it!

Marcy

With those discounts, you are just over the 10% I mentioned, above....15% is what my calculator says, but t a far cry from the $139 stated above.

We just returned on Sunday June 16 from the cabins. There were 4 of us total (me, DH, DDs ages 4 and 6). We loved the extra space. We ate breakfast in all except for one day and usually had lunch in as we took a a break in the afternoon and once or twice we had dinner in the cabin. The kids took turns with the bunk beds and my husband and I slept out in the living area on the murphy bed which was vey comfortable. My DH actually stated that it was the best he had slept at WDW and this was our 4th trip in 1.5 years. I think it was because the kids were not right in the room with us and we did not hear them tossing and turning. We paid $159 not including tax. We also rented a golf cart for the entire week but I don't really think it was all that necessary. Buses appeared to be running well inside and outside, excpet for the trip to TL one afternoon which took us between 45-60 minutes (of course I think the bus driver got lost as after we left WL we went past the Polynesian which had had not done on any of the other rides):rolleyes: Whatever resort you decide to stay at you will have a wonderful time.

Check out the discount codes. We booked a cabin just last night for Labor day weekend at $139 before tax using code CLS, "lilo & Stitch" code. I had been qouted over $240 earlier in the day without the code and the Disney on line reservation system indicated there was no availability at Fort Wilderness at all Labor Day weekend. Shame it has to be a game to get a reservation at a good rate.

WOW !! OK, I eat my words !! I am happy for all concerned that I was wrong about getting a cabin for $139

Regardless of how many people you have in your party - 6 or even less, the cabins are a great place to stay.

Believe me, once you stay in FW you will always want to return. We stayed at the CR in Mar/Apr 2002 & my kids begged me to call & see if we could get something at FW. My husband has no desire to camp (I did growing up) & he absolutely loves staying there. He misses it when we don't.

FW is Disney's best kept secret.

Hello,we stayed in the cabins in February and our rate was 139.00 a night with the annual discount. We are coming back the second week in July for 189.00 a night. This is not too bad considering it is peak season. I just hope it is not too hot! Fort wilderness is a great place to stay. hope you decide to try it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter