2023-2024 Occupancy Rates for DVC Resorts

ehh

the sound a shrug makes
In the California Public Report, very last page details the occupancy rates of 11 of the DVC resorts for March 2023-2024.

Link to the report:
https://cdn1.parksmedia.wdprapps.di...alifornia_Combined_Public_Report-09-06-24.pdf

Relevant screenshot (might load slowly):
Screenshot-2024-09-27-at-8-57-39-PM.png

How to interpret:
  • First line is the occupancy rate of DVC members (not specifically owners)
  • Second line is the occupancy rate of the leftover rooms via cash bookings
  • Third line is the total occupancy rate combining all bookings

This is really interesting.

VGC is interesting that renter % is 0 a majority of the months and no other resort is this way. I assume due to its low # of rooms?
They don't even list VGC for cash bookings on the Disneyland site, supposedly due to ridiculously high member occupancy (supported by this filing from DVC). So I'm not sure how the trickle of cash bookings happened at all...maybe calling Member Services?

Other than VGC's incredible occupancy rate, I think the other three things that stick out here to me:
  1. Unsurprisingly, DVC's overall occupancy rates are pretty dang good.
    • Saratoga has some comparatively quiet months, but that's it, everywhere else is pretty much in the 90s all year (and usually mid-90s at that). They're getting A's on their report card.
  2. BoardWalk and Beach Club refurbs really noticeable here (and HHI+Vero? I didn't bother to remember when their refurbs were). And they seemingly don't adjust the denominator for this report.
  3. Some resorts really depend on cash bookings, looking at you BLT.

(Also, I think @lentesta might be interested in some Disney-published occupancy rates, even if they're DVC.)

Last edited:
Other than VGC's incredible occupancy rate, I think the other three things that stick out here to me:
  1. Unsurprisingly, DVC's overall occupancy rates are pretty dang good.
    • Saratoga has some comparatively quiet months, but that's it, everywhere else is pretty much in the 90s all year (and usually mid-90s at that). They're getting A's on their report card.
  2. BoardWalk and Beach Club refurbs really noticeable here (and HHI+Vero? I didn't bother to remember when their refurbs were). And they seemingly don't adjust the denominator for this report.
  3. Some resorts really depend on cash bookings, looking at you BLT.

(Also, I think @lentesta might be interested in some Disney-published occupancy rates, even if they're DVC.)
Blt product of rooms pre refurb coming? Lot of owners trading out to other locations, not a lot trading in? If we get these numbers post refurb I bet it shifts to consistently mid upper 80s.

Aulani is making them bank!

Does this give us any insights into how much of Aulani’s points have been sold?
The shared report does not indicate how much Aulani has been sold.

But the Aulani-specific resort might! California resident owners might be able to see it in their Collateral Documents. Or I can check in a week or so.

Makes me wish I was smarter…98 pages for State of California .
I love that California has Important Cautionary Notes underlined .I guess they can’t just say Buyer beware .
With recent legislative changes in Florida , I guess that contract is more detailed with updates.
I also searched for any mention of a Trust .
Did they refund money into budgets for sales of old furniture pieces every time they refurb? Haha

Last edited:
2 thoughts ,,,,,I am sure most other hoteliers are jealous of the occupancy rates both timeshare and rental.
The other is just looking at DVC members,,,theres a lot that are probably letting their points just go, like a lot of other timeshares. With the # of renters(Disney breakage) being as high as it is,,there seems to be a lot of points just vanishing unused.

2 thoughts ,,,,,I am sure most other hoteliers are jealous of the occupancy rates both timeshare and rental.
The other is just looking at DVC members,,,theres a lot that are probably letting their points just go, like a lot of other timeshares. With the # of renters(Disney breakage) being as high as it is,,there seems to be a lot of points just vanishing unused.
Right? Sold out resorts should be in the 90%. Them not reflects a fair amount of points going unused not only for resort but entire enterprise. That's just crazy imho.

Agree the occupancy rates all being nearly sold out all the time is crazy good....even never sold out AUL would be the envy any hotel.

Vgc. 🥰

I would only think a small part of that is breakage - ie, leftover rooms isn't the definition. Have to remember there is an entirely different set of cash room inventory. Trades out happen then the required points/rooms are sent for cash bookings and DVC/DVD have points they own.

It's a pity that the report on trades hasn't been done for years.

They don't even list VGC for cash bookings on the Disneyland site, supposedly due to ridiculously high member occupancy (supported by this filing from DVC). So I'm not sure how the trickle of cash bookings happened at all...maybe calling Member Services?
Could also be make-goods or cast members.

I would only think a small part of that is breakage - ie, leftover rooms isn't the definition. Have to remember there is an entirely different set of cash room inventory. Trades out happen then the required points/rooms are sent for cash bookings and DVC/DVD have points they own.

It's a pity that the report on trades hasn't been done for years.
Good point on the term "leftover". I used leftover to mean all rooms that members didn't book, regardless of reason.

Maybe said another way, mathematically they're leftover rooms, but the process of the rooms becoming cash bookings might not have been members leaving them for cash bookings.

Without getting too far into this, a significant portion of inventory at some resorts with lower DVC occupancy is pulled at 11m+7d.

How to interpret:
  • First line is the occupancy rate of DVC members (not specifically owners)
  • Second line is the occupancy rate of the leftover rooms via cash bookings
  • Third line is the total occupancy rate combining all bookings
Separately, wanted to give this a bit more explanation on how to read these numbers. Sept 2023 at AKV as an example:
  • 74.38% occupancy by members
    • Implies 25.62% leftovers (again, without saying why/how they're leftover)
  • 74.77% occupancy for cash bookings reported
    • 74.77% of the leftover 25.62% is 19.156% of total occupancy used by cash bookings
  • 74.38% + 19.156% is 93.536% total occupancy; this report lists 93.54%, the same after standard rounding

Interesting the occupancy shows Hilton, but leaves off PVB and CCV. Seems strange with Island Tower being added to PVB.

Could Reflections end up being part of CCV? CCV was the next DVC resort after PVB. Might Disney have decided CFW was a flop, so add it to CCV?

Interesting the occupancy shows Hilton, but leaves off PVB and CCV. Seems strange with Island Tower being added to PVB.

Could Reflections end up being part of CCV? CCV was the next DVC resort after PVB. Might Disney have decided CFW was a flop, so add it to CCV?
Yeah, many parts of the document leave off various resorts, and not always the same ones. It’s weird.

I'm not sure I would read into it quite that much.

On my Collateral Docs page, this document is titled: California Public Report (Combined For 11 Resorts). It shows up for my PVB, VGF, and BCV contracts. It does not show up in my VGC, RIV, or VDH contracts.

VGC, RIV, and VDH contracts have links to single-resort reports. The VGC and RIV single-resort reports also contain this exact occupancy table (despite RIV not being listed at all). VDH report does not contain any occupancy table.

Considering the occupancy table shows up single-resort reports, I'm going to consider it separate from the combined report. (As an aside, it almost looks like it keeps being a photocopy of a photocopy of other reports...the one in the VGC report is nearly pristine but the Combined report is pretty blocky)

The 11 resorts detailed in the combined report are:
  1. OKW
  2. VRB
  3. HHI
  4. BWV
  5. VWL/BRV
  6. BCV
  7. SSR
  8. AKV
  9. BLT
  10. VGF
  11. PVB
However, the 12 resorts detailed in the occupancy table are not quite aligned:
  1. OKW ✅
  2. BWV ✅
  3. VWL/BRV ✅
  4. BCV ✅
  5. SSR ✅
  6. VRB ✅
  7. HHI ✅
  8. AKV ✅
  9. BLT ✅
  10. VGC ⚠️
  11. AUL ⚠️
  12. VGF ✅

So VGC and AUL are in the occupancy table, but not detailed in the combined report. PVB is a full participant in the combined report, but not the occupancy table. CCV, RIV, VDH, and CFW are only mentioned in the combined report, but are not fully detailed and are also not in the occupancy table.

Resort
Occupancy Table
Full Details in Combined Report
Actively Sold
OKW​
✅
✅
❌
VRB​
✅
✅
❌
HHI​
✅
✅
❌
BRV​
✅
✅
❌
BCV​
✅
✅
❌
SSR​
✅
✅
❌
AKV​
✅
✅
❌
BLT​
✅
✅
❌
VGC​
✅
❌
❌
AUL​
✅
❌
✅
VGF​
✅
✅
❌
PVB​
❌
✅
🕚
CCV​
❌
❌
❌
RIV​
❌
❌
✅
VDH​
❌
❌
✅
CFW​
❌
❌
✅

CCV really is the oddball here. Everything else missing from something as at least a half-hearted explanation (Actively Sold, in other region, etc.), but CCV is none of those things.

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest