2018 Free Dining Watch Thread V3

From my understand there is no "official" WDW policy on this that is in writing.. for years it was disputed as many CMs did not 1. know it was possible 2. or how to do it... but it seems the past few years there has been no issues.
I didn't even realize this wasn't an official policy. We've done it for the past few years with no issue. Thanks for the info!

If free dining is offered, I will be at work and cannot call in and wait all day on the phone. I can try to modify our already existing reservation, but it seems from the posts here that this option is inconsistent . Can I just go online and set up a new reservation with free dining and later cancel my first reservation? Will there be any issues doing that, like fees or anything?

We're planning to bring another family with us (2 adults+2 teens for us, 2 adults+1 teen for them) and I'm worried about not knowing how to book online efficiently enough to get the FD deal. We're not set on a particular resort yet but want to do deluxe and would prefer to be on the monorail (secretly hoping for the Contemporary but it sounds like it might not be included this year so maybe Poly). Anyway, if I just search rooms for 7 people it eliminates a lot of rooms. Is there a way to indicate that I'm trying to book 2 rooms? Or do I have to do them in two transactions, and, if yes, how do I make sure that goes smoothly? If I have to do two transactions, can I put my name on both rooms? I will be the person booking all reservations, fast passes, etc so it's easier to have it all under my name. Also, do I need to make MDE profile accounts for our guests ahead of time for easier booking or does that matter? Thanks for any advice you can give? I tried to search for answers to similar questions but I'm worried about doing it wrong and missing the deal.

If free dining is offered, I will be at work and cannot call in and wait all day on the phone. I can try to modify our already existing reservation, but it seems from the posts here that this option is inconsistent . Can I just go online and set up a new reservation with free dining and later cancel my first reservation? Will there be any issues doing that, like fees or anything?
Yes. Just a new $200 deposit. But when you cancel your other reservation it should make you whole.

Yes you can

Am I figuring theses costs up correctly? Already have booked DDP at Pop. If we snag FD, we'd get the cost of the QS Plan free, meaning our package price would reduce by $1075? 2 adults and 2 kids (11 and 4).

T
Sharonabe,

We are using a Disney vacation planner (I work with her, so thought it would be easier). She said that the reservation cannot be modified online to include free dining that she actually had to call. Is that right? Since she is doing it, I don't think I can modify the reservation to include it myself.
Travel agents can get on the Disney travel agent site and add offers to existing reservations.

You missed the post about a new rumor: free dining MAY not extend and only be good for the dates that are posted. However, as the poster you quoted pointed out, there is one group of dates that only includes 3 nights, so if there is a 4 night minimum, that rumor doesn't make sense. If there isn't a nightly minimum, but only a 4-day ticket minimum, then the rumor could still be valid.
Oh ok!! Thanks for the clarification

Do the value resorts fill up the quickest for FD? We went in December and stayed at WL, but I'm looking to book in September at POP or one of the All Stars. Just wondering if these are super hard to get with FD.

Am I figuring theses costs up correctly? Already have booked DDP at Pop. If we snag FD, we'd get the cost of the QS Plan free, meaning our package price would reduce by $1075? 2 adults and 2 kids (11 and 4).

As long as your current reservation is booked with FULL rack rate on the room (and your room qualifies) and you have the minimum park ticket requirement already added, then yes, that's what should happen. Don't know if it's exactly $1075....how many nights?

From my understand there is no "official" WDW policy on this that is in writing.. for years it was disputed as many CMs did not 1. know it was possible 2. or how to do it... but it seems the past few years there has been no issues.

Thanks for the replies. Not sure I am willing to risk is if it isn't official policy. If we get unlucky and things have changed, it would pretty much mess up the entire vacation.

No/maybe. If your current package price is booked with any kind of a discount at all, you can't use those figures. FD requires that you pay rack rate for your room and full price for park hopper tickets for a minimum of 4 days (if the rumors are to be believed). SO... if your current package is booked at rack, then you can deduct the cost of dining from the total. If it's not booked at rack rate, then you have to calculate rack rate w/park hopper tickets and see what the total "should" be.

Do the value resorts fill up the quickest for FD? We went in December and stayed at WL, but I'm looking to book in September at POP or one of the All Stars. Just wondering if these are super hard to get with FD.
I'd like to know this too! Which resorts are usually left after a few hours? Days?

I hope not!

Yes the value resorts will fill first. When mods got the regular DDP, it was the other way around, but with just QSDP at mods, it doesn't make financial sense to pay more for the room.

All Star Sports always seems to have rooms; at least for long than the other values

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter