• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2017 Disney Princess Half Marathon Weekend

Sorry, just looking for some clarification. If something happens, can I transfer my 10k to 2018? I am currently registered for the enchanted 10k, and it's my first 10k ever. I've only done one 5k before and it's been several years. I'm going to train well I hope. But I'm worried about training injuries since I'm basically doing a couch to 10k.

First, yes you can. I did it for this year's 10K. Most importantly though, you have PLENTY of time to train. 2014 was my first half marathon and I did the Glass Slipper. I went from couch to Glass Slipper in under a year. It's hard work, but it can absolutely be done.

Normally, runDisney will open up a small number of deferral slots 3-4 weeks before the race. If you get one, you'll pay a fee and your entry will be deferred to 2018. If they get filled before you snag one, you're out of luck and your entry fees for 2017.

If you do have to defer, make sure you keep an eye out for when it opens. They fill up quickly!

I ordered some of the items that you could purchase during registration. Are those shipped prior to the race or do I pick them up at the expo?

NEVER MIND. I FOUND THE ANSWER.

Last edited:
Now that I'm officially register I'm thinking more about what to wear! Has anyone here run in metallic leggings? I've seen pictures of people at the marathons, especially the scale ones for ariel, but I didn't know if they would breathe at all? Would like to hear of someone's personal experience.
I have skirt and it does get warmer than others but isn't uncomfortable.
@opusone

I've seen that too by never done it! It must be spandex - there are running skirts with similar fabric.[/QUOTE]

I have skirt is is comfortable but not as breatheable as other fABRICS.

Still can't believe the half and 5k are still open as of 5:00 p.m. CST! In past years at this point everything has been sold out by three days after registration is open to all. Hmmmmm....

Hope this link works. It is an article from USA today online edition which is truly an inspiration!

Check out this article from USA TODAY:

Runner finishes last in every single race, inspires us all

http://usat.ly/29VYyNT

Is there a cut-off date to pre-order the merchandise, like the tumbler package, or the jacket? Still mulling over what I'd like to purchase. I will almost certainly order the tumbler, as I have a collection of the Tervis tumblers anyway, but can't decide about the other stuff.

Is there a cut-off date to pre-order the merchandise, like the tumbler package, or the jacket? Still mulling over what I'd like to purchase. I will almost certainly order the tumbler, as I have a collection of the Tervis tumblers anyway, but can't decide about the other stuff.

There isn't a cutoff date, but there is a limited about of preorder merchandise. I'm not sure how it will be this year, but in the past the merch has sold out pretty quickly. Especially the jackets and the pins.

Went to the Disney Character Warehouse in Sunrise FL a few days ago. They had a bunch of pink RunDisney Magic Bands and pins from this year's Princess race weekend. The Magic Bands were $10, but I didn't even look at the pin prices. Also, when I was at WDW in June the store at ESPN WWOS had a lot of generic 2016 RunDisney items, a few Princess weekend items and some Star Wars stuff. They also had RunDisney clothing without dates on it.

I'd decide quick, if I were you. You can return it if you don't like it.

Just registered for the half tonight - I'm terrified, but it's always been on my bucket list!

Don't be terrified! You have plenty of time to train.

Since the fun of registration has passed, now to concentrate on hotel and flights. As the wife of a SW captain here are some suggestions on flying to PHM weekend passed on from my favorite pilot:love:

1. Book EARLY! PHM usually falls somewhere close to Daytona 500, presidents weekend and winter break. Orlando flights are usually pretty full even without major events.
2. Flights will probably cost more than you think due to all the events listed in #1. If you buy a ticket on SW and it goes on sale, generally they will issue you a credit.
3. Arrive a couple days before your event if you can since it will be winter and storms are unpredictable and flight cancellations can be numerous. (Anybody remember 2012 with the winter storms up north that delayed our fellow princess runners or 2013 with yet more storms?) also try to book early in the day as if there are flight cancellations it gives you more of a chance to get a later flight.
4. Pack your race outfit in your carry on along with any meds, your camera, jewelry and computer/tablet. Luggage gets misrouted and/or lost and valuables don't belong in checked bags(yup...still happens !)
5. Bring antibacterial towelettes to wipe down tray table, arm rest, seat belt buckle etc.

Hope this helps make your trip a little less stressful !:flower1:

Regarding outfits/costumes...does anyone wear anything that isn't princess or disney? Wonder Woman was an idea but I think I might save that in case I should ever do a full marathon, not disney, but I figure she's a princess haha. But I've been thinking about other ideas. For the GSC I'll probably definitely do one of them as the evil queen, and the other I'm not sure, but I was thinking about other non-princess comic characters.

Hi all, just chiming in to say I'm so excited to run the princess half! Just started running in February and figured a year was enough time to get my butt into gear for the race! I always hated runnin as a kid, but find that I shockingly enjoy it now. Maybe because of my previously undiagnosed asthma . Any of you ladies or gentlemen run this race with asthma in the past?

My best friend and I were able to get in for the GSC during AP registration. Two more of our friends had been unsure, but registered for GSC during open registration. Another friend got in for the 10k and has decided to volunteer for the half so we can hopefully see her face on course and get some encouragement! Now, to book our resort! I'm so excited for our girls weekend adventure!

Hi all, just chiming in to say I'm so excited to run the princess half! Just started running in February and figured a year was enough time to get my butt into gear for the race! I always hated runnin as a kid, but find that I shockingly enjoy it now. Maybe because of my previously undiagnosed asthma . Any of you ladies or gentlemen run this race with asthma in the past?

During training for my first PHM I was also diagnosed with asthma after thinking I was just too old and out of shape to be doing a half marathon. A couple of puffs of albuterol 15 min before my runs helped out and then every hour during the race (per my Dr. Instructions so your Dr. may tell you differently).

I was not the fastest gal then or for that fact now but you can make it through the race. You will need a running belt or something else to hold your inhaler but that didn't impede my running either. Hope this helps!

Since the fun of registration has passed, now to concentrate on hotel and flights. As the wife of a SW captain here are some suggestions on flying to PHM weekend passed on from my favorite pilot:love:

1. Book EARLY! PHM usually falls somewhere close to Daytona 500, presidents weekend and winter break. Orlando flights are usually pretty full even without major events.
2. Flights will probably cost more than you think due to all the events listed in #1. If you buy a ticket on SW and it goes on sale, generally they will issue you a credit.
3. Arrive a couple days before your event if you can since it will be winter and storms are unpredictable and flight cancellations can be numerous. (Anybody remember 2012 with the winter storms up north that delayed our fellow princess runners or 2013 with yet more storms?) also try to book early in the day as if there are flight cancellations it gives you more of a chance to get a later flight.
4. Pack your race outfit in your carry on along with any meds, your camera, jewelry and computer/tablet. Luggage gets misrouted and/or lost and valuables don't belong in checked bags(yup...still happens !)
5. Bring antibacterial towelettes to wipe down tray table, arm rest, seat belt buckle etc.

Great tips. You're totally right about the sticker shock and the flights being popular - I was watching one on SW and it sold out already!
Regarding outfits/costumes...does anyone wear anything that isn't princess or disney? Wonder Woman was an idea but I think I might save that in case I should ever do a full marathon, not disney, but I figure she's a princess haha. But I've been thinking about other ideas. For the GSC I'll probably definitely do one of them as the evil queen, and the other I'm not sure, but I was thinking about other non-princess comic characters.
Me! I'm an ambassador for an athletic apparel company so I'll be wearing stuff from them. :) Just wear what you like and what is comfortable!

I feel proud of myself. I already do all of these things! Great tips!

Lots of people do lots of things! You will see every kind of outfit.

Great tips. You're totally right about the sticker shock and the flights being popular - I was watching one on SW and it sold out already!

Me! I'm an ambassador for an athletic apparel company so I'll be wearing stuff from them. :) Just wear what you like and what is comfortable!

Ooh...that sounds like a great gig!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter