2009 trips?

slg

DIS Veteran
We definitely want to go to Europe with ABD in 2009. I'm a little worried that ABD isn't doing very well, as trips are sometimes cancelled. Any word out that it may fold?

If they cancel a trip and you've already booked your airfare etc. not with disney, what happens?

How often do trips get cancelled? We want to go on the Austria tour in May.

Any ideas?

I think that you will find that some tours are more popular than others. As far as I can tell, ABD is doing pretty good. When I called the end of August to book the Viva Italia there were only a few tours left in fall 2008 that still had the early booking incentive still open. One thing I think they will increase are the adult only tours. These tours seem to fill up fast. In August I asked about early incentives for any 2008 adult only Europe tours and there were none to be had.

slg - I just answered an email survey for ABD that detailed an "Alpine Adventure" for 2009. It included Italy, Austria, and Switzerland. Sounded very cool. So perhaps you will have that as one of your choices. At any rate, it didn't seem like they were getting ready to fold, as they are still expanding their offerings. I do think they're trying to figure out exactly who to market to.

From a travel professional's perspective, I'd have to say I wouldn't worry at all about AbD folding. Just by myself, I've sold upwards of 20 of these trips, and I'm one of many, many agents out there! Also, the AbD office has been exremely busy with bookings over these past few months.

As with any other new venture, they have to see what sells and what doesn't. Some itineraries may disappear, but I do think that people are just now catching on to what a great product this is, and it'll only grow.

Dotti

Thanks! Any idea when the 2009 itineraries might be out? I'm ready to book now!

Also, how much extra $ do you need to budget above the cost of the tour? ie tips, food, extras (not souvenirs, but the essential extras).

Especially interested in the Imperial cities and Ireland.

(in the process of budgeting for it. I hope we can afford it, we are 5!)

I completed the survey yesterday as well, and all I can say is if they offer the trip with northern Italy, Austria and Switzerland - I AM SOLD! I am so excited about this possibility! Lucerne Switzerland is heaven on earth.

As far as ABD folding, I would be shocked. I think that there are some trips that aren't as popular and will possibly be nixed, but other than that - I would imagine that they are here to stay.

Thanks! Any idea when the 2009 itineraries might be out? I'm ready to book now!

Also, how much extra $ do you need to budget above the cost of the tour? ie tips, food, extras (not souvenirs, but the essential extras).

Especially interested in the Imperial cities and Ireland.

(in the process of budgeting for it. I hope we can afford it, we are 5!)

It seems that they come out with the next year tours during late July or August. Book right away if you really want the early booking incentive. They only have so many spots offered with the incentive. For the two of us we spent $2,600 for airfare on top of the tour. We plan on $2,000 more for the meals that are not covered, drinks, and shopping. We are not big shoppers, but I do want to bring something home for the grandkids. I think what will hit us are the drinks. We love wine and will probably bring home a couple bottles.

Sorry to hijack: But, can you ship home cases of wine from Italy? What about customs?

It seems that they come out with the next year tours during late July or August. Book right away if you really want the early booking incentive. They only have so many spots offered with the incentive. For the two of us we spent $2,600 for airfare on top of the tour. We plan on $2,000 more for the meals that are not covered, drinks, and shopping. We are not big shoppers, but I do want to bring something home for the grandkids. I think what will hit us are the drinks. We love wine and will probably bring home a couple bottles.

Sorry to hijack: But, can you ship home cases of wine from Italy? What about customs?

Cases of wine are real expensive to ship home. On my trip, there was a family that shipped a box home. The shipping was expensive. I took back 2 bottles in my suitcase.

I don't know about the rules in the US, but I tried to ship home some decorative bottles of Lemoncello (sp?) from the Med Cruise and they were confiscated by Canadian customes. Everything else was shipiped fine, they only confiscated the alcohol. I would have been fine carrying it with me! I would definitely check with your customs in the states before you try.

When we were in Italy a year ago, we were told we could not get any Italian wine through customs because the wine in Italy does not have the necessary preservatives that are required by the U.S. government. Although Italy was willing to ship it, U.S. would confiscate it. Getting it home in your luggage is probably the only way to go since customes does not inspect each piece of luggage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter