2 bed at Kidani. Standard or Savanna?

eeyoresmom

DIS Veteran
We have stayed at Jambo many times and love it but there are no 2 bedroom villas available for our upcoming trip. Kidani had 2 of the 3 nights we need in both standard and savanna view. Which would you choose? There is quite a hike in points for the savanna.

We did Savanna (at Jambo) for a recent 3-night stay because it was part of "the dream" for the trip, but I agree that:

There are plenty of opportunities to view the animals.

There were multiple great spots, both inside and out, open to everyone! Unless you've got special circumstances (like wanting to watch from your balcony in the morning while little ones are still sleeping) you'll be fine with standard.

We did Savanna (at Jambo) for a recent 3-night stay because it was part of "the dream" for the trip, but I agree that:

There were multiple great spots, both inside and out, open to everyone! Unless you've got special circumstances (like wanting to watch from your balcony in the morning while little ones are still sleeping) you'll be fine with standard.
Completely agree. In 2015 we took my best friend and her girls. I sprung for savannah view so they’d have that be their first experience at AKV.

We stayed standard view our first couple of times for the same reason, we had ample places to see the savanna and save on points. However...we decided to splurge one year and booked savanna view. It was amazing, and completely worth it. If you can afford it, it's worth trying at least once. We do still stay non-savanna view at times, but we do really appreciate it when we have it!!!

We have stayed at Jambo many times and love it but there are no 2 bedroom villas available for our upcoming trip. Kidani had 2 of the 3 nights we need in both standard and savanna view. Which would you choose? There is quite a hike in points for the savanna.
I haven't stayed at either yet. Why is it that people seem to prefer Jambo over Kidani?

I haven't stayed at either yet. Why is it that people seem to prefer Jambo over Kidani?
We've stayed at both once. We actually prefer Kidani over Jambo! Kidani has the community hall and the water play area, it's 'quieter', park buses stop there first, and you're able to stay on a lower floor. (Jambo is limited to floors 5 and 6 for DVC rooms.) Our one stay at Kidani, our room was at the Jambo end, so we found it easy enough to walk over to Jambo when we wanted...or take a bus over!

We've stayed at both once. We actually prefer Kidani over Jambo! Kidani has the community hall and the water play area, it's 'quieter', park buses stop there first, and you're able to stay on a lower floor. (Jambo is limited to floors 5 and 6 for DVC rooms.) Our one stay at Kidani, our room was at the Jambo end, so we found it easy enough to walk over to Jambo when we wanted...or take a bus over!
Please post your experience of the two. I am going to Jambo for the first time next month but won't have anything to compare it to.

Please post your experience of the two. I am going to Jambo for the first time next month but won't have anything to compare it to.
We're staying at Kidani again in mid-Feb. It's been over 7 yrs since we stayed there and 5 1/2 since Jambo....so my info/thoughts are pretty old!

Both resorts have 'cultural activities'--drumming lessons, talk by a cultural representative, various animal activities, etc. Both resorts offer so much more than the usual pool activities and nightly movies--it's why we're staying there in February...the last half of our trip will be parkless due to our annual passes expiring that Tuesday. No matter which place you're staying, you can enjoy the activities at both resorts! And both resorts have pools!

Pros to Jambo: quick service restaurant, Boma, bigger shop, grander lobby. For us, we had a better savannah view at Kidani than our stay at Jambo...but I assume it's really hit or miss for both resorts...depends on your room location...do the animals 'like' that area?

Enjoy your stay at Jambo! If you leave there feeling it was too 'busy' for you, or you wish you were closer to the community hall and the water play area, try Kidani next!

We're staying at Kidani again in mid-Feb. It's been over 7 yrs since we stayed there and 5 1/2 since Jambo....so my info/thoughts are pretty old!

Both resorts have 'cultural activities'--drumming lessons, talk by a cultural representative, various animal activities, etc. Both resorts offer so much more than the usual pool activities and nightly movies--it's why we're staying there in February...the last half of our trip will be parkless due to our annual passes expiring that Tuesday. No matter which place you're staying, you can enjoy the activities at both resorts! And both resorts have pools!

Pros to Jambo: quick service restaurant, Boma, bigger shop, grander lobby. For us, we had a better savannah view at Kidani than our stay at Jambo...but I assume it's really hit or miss for both resorts...depends on your room location...do the animals 'like' that area?

Enjoy your stay at Jambo! If you leave there feeling it was too 'busy' for you, or you wish you were closer to the community hall and the water play area, try Kidani next!
Sounds good. Thanks for all the information. I'm doing it also when I don't have parks as my annual pass just expired.

Why is it that people seem to prefer Jambo over Kidani?

We just stayed at Jambo in December, but we visited Kidani twice during the trip (one for Sanaa and once for the Starlight Safari). They are both beautiful, and I would happily stay at either! But what I would see as pros for Jambo are:

It has the Mara quick service restaurant.
(Plus there are two other table service restaurants, not just one.)
I think the gift shop is bigger. (I didn't really go in the one at Kidani, though.)
I'm guessing the pool is bigger. (Though again, I didn't try Kidani's.)
Since the lobby is bigger, the Christmas tree was huge and so gorgeous!

We have stayed savanna at kidani few times and we had good views, not "super unbelievable," views. Last trip we had a savanna view that was at the very edge of a savanna right next to the pool. So we had almost no animals and all the pool noise we didn't want. In my opinion, that room should be a standard view, not savanna. We tried to switch rooms, but was told as of 2 pm when we checked in, there were no other 2 bedrooms available.

We have stayed savanna at kidani few times and we had good views, not "super unbelievable," views. Last trip we had a savanna view that was at the very edge of a savanna right next to the pool. So we had almost no animals and all the pool noise we didn't want. In my opinion, that room should be a standard view, not savanna. We tried to switch rooms, but was told as of 2 pm when we checked in, there were no other 2 bedrooms available.
So sorry to hear.

We’re staying at Kidani 2 bedroom for the first time in Oct. we splurged for the savanna room, since it’s been on my bucket list. We love to use the pool at night, but what is the best rooms to request? I know sunset is the savanna you want, but what about room numbers? It looks massive.

We have stayed at both for different reasons.

Love the savanna views, but generally need more points for other trips so go standard.

Have fun

Kidani had 2 of the 3 nights we need in both standard and savanna view. Which would you choose? There is quite a hike in points for the savanna.
I would save the points and do a standard. There are plenty of viewing areas where you can sit and watch. It also depends on what you have planned for those days -- are you going to be up and at the parks most of the day? Even if you are planning resort time - are you really going to want to sit in your room or would you be out at the pool or just sitting outside watching the animals.

I guess if you have the points to splurge then go for it, but if you could use those points for another trip then go standard.

If less points matter, then I would choose standard view. However, we are view people and will gladly spend more to get a view that we can enjoy anytime during the day and evening. But if you are one that thinks a view requires seeing an animal any time you look out your window or step onto the balcony you might want to book a standard view and save points. The animals on the savanna roam and when they eat the food in one area then they move to another. And they often sit in the shade under trees that might block your view of them which seems to happen a lot at Jambo House since all the DVC rooms are on 5 or 6 (club level).

At Kidani we've stayed overlooking the entrance on the pool side. It was peaceful and, hey, it was florida. That said, I don't think I'll do standard at Kidani ever again as watching the Magical Express buses come and go made me sad. If I'm at Kidani, I want the Sunset Savanna view, it's the whole point of being there.

I agree with PP that savanna view is what makes AKL unique and why I like to stay there. However, we spend more time in the room nowadays so would enjoy sitting on the balcony sipping coffee or wine and watching the animals for a long period of time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter