2/01/03 Western

HI All....count us in too!! This will be our 4th Disney Magic cruise and we all can't wait!! :) We are staying the week before the cruise at WLV. Coming from Massachusetts (near Cape Cod) can be brutal in the winter and having past experiences of flights being canceled in the past we always allow extra days to fly!! So, we'll see you all on 2/1!! Can't wait!! our family of 6 (all adults) plus 4 friends will be joining us!! Only 206 days left!! :) Let's keep this thread going!!
Laurie ;)

Yay, more people!! :) We have the makings of a real DIS meet in the works!

So what excursions is everyone contemplating? There are so many more choices than on the Eastern itinerary! And they all sound so neat!! So which ones are y'all leaning towards?

-gina-

We have a big group going, so I think we are going to create our own excursions. We did that last year on the Eastern Cruise & it worked out really well. It was much cheaper and it allowed us to stay at the beach for more than 4 hours. I don't like the beach excursions that only last from 8a-12pm. That does not give me enough time to lounge around and snorkel!

:p 2-1-03 cruiser!!! Still trying to decide if we should do one night at WL before the cruise or two. From reading the other threads it may be better and cheaper to fly in on Thursday and do WL one night and then head to the pier and stay Friday night at the Raddison?? We only plan to do MK on Friday and I am sure on Jan 30 it will not be open very late?? We could leave from MK and head to the pier???

We are for sure booking a Stingray City tour on our own through Capt Marvs. DD to young for DCL excursion. Not to sure I will book any others. May just go on our own to a beach or do the tour of Key west. Don't want to feel rushed.

I know I am going to book some Spa treatments. Facial and maybe a massage at Castaway Cay.

Still working on my Aunt & Uncle to join us with their DS same age as our DD (4). Time if flying by and we are so excited. I need to start making some payments........EEK!!!;)

We just booked for 2/1/03, too. I was surprised to see this thread - I hadn't seen our date mentioned before!
We were on the Magic eastern in December 2001 and didn't think we'd be able to swing it again so soon - so we're excited.

Does anyone have any ideas of what to do on our own in the Western Caribbean? We don't want to do ship excursions because most of the boat/snorkeling/beach ones don't allow our 4 year old daughter. (or at least we found that to be true on the Eastern). We've been to all the ports before, but never did anything on our own because we were without kids on those visits and just did ship excursions. I'm hoping to have plans in place to go out on our own and these boards helped so much with that on the Eastern one last year!

February is too far away!!

OK,Call me impulsive!!!!! I did it! I called the Raddison at Cape Canaveral and reserved a room for Jan 31. They had a package called "GO FAMILY" and it includes an upgrade to the best room available at check in,basket of goodies and full breakfast in the morning. One more thing....... Free shuttle service to the dock in the morning. It was $129 per night. Is that a good deal??? They also said that Avis car rental was on site so we can just leave our rental car there that evening we check in. I think this will be much easier than getting up and driving from WDW in the am.

MOG,

I know that in the Grand Caymans there are several excursions company's that will take 4 year olds. We are doing Capt Marv's with our 4 year old DD.:bounce: :bounce:

The $129 package sounds really nice, but I'm wondering about the shuttle to the terminal -- I thought that that was just a perk of the hotel?? If I just reserve a $99 room, do I not get to take the shuttle? Just want to make sure before I book!

I still haven't checked out the website for the Captain Marvin's I keep hearing so much about... I need to do that! DS (6) and I aren't big on all-day excursions... we like a little sightseeing, and a little beach time, and a little back-on-the-empty-ship time. :) We absolutely want to swim with the stingrays. And a little snorkeling would be fun -- DS just learned how to do that this weekend, and he's ready to see something other than the bottom of a swimming pool. :) We'd also possibly like to do one of the semi-subs, and I'm thinking of going to Playa Sol in Cozumel. Key West, I figured we could just walk around, until DS saw pictures of the train and trolley. So much for walking. ;)

This is our second cruise, and I am somehow even more excited this time, which I didn't think was possible. Maybe because now I *know* how amazing of a time we're going to have??

I do remember that this time last year, I was moaning and groaning that February was sooooo far away... then I blinked, and it was here. :) We'll be sipping those special sail-away drinks on Deck 9 in no time! :D

-gina-

Gina,

I am ready for one of those drinks now!!!!

I do think that the lady said that the shuttle service was free to everyone at the hotel. So you could take the $99 rate. She did offer us that rate too,but I thought that breakfast in the am would be good and the snacks won't hurt anything either. Maybe we will get lucky and be upgraded to a "whirlpool room"!!!

Does anyone know if you can request a room with a view of the cruise ships at the docks?????? Looks like you can see them from the hotel when I look at the website.

I think the Capt Marv's Stingray tour is about 2 hours and someone on these boards told me they will drop you off at the beach at the Holiday Inn if you request them too for the rest of the day. Sounds good to me!!!;)

Originally posted by BABYJOSIE98
I do think that the lady said that the shuttle service was free to everyone at the hotel. So you could take the $99 rate. She did offer us that rate too,but I thought that breakfast in the am would be good and the snacks won't hurt anything either. Maybe we will get lucky and be upgraded to a "whirlpool room"!!!

Okay, good. I'd rather do the package that you're doing, but I'm not sure I'll be able to afford it. I think I'm just going to try and make a ressie now at the $99 rate, then upgrade later if I think that I can afford it.

I think the Capt Marv's Stingray tour is about 2 hours and someone on these boards told me they will drop you off at the beach at the Holiday Inn if you request them too for the rest of the day. Sounds good to me!!!;)

Okay, I finally made it the Captain Marvin's webpage -- way cheaper than Disney! And I like the different options as far as excursion length goes. But when it says that the package includes trans. from the Waterfront Centre, is that where the cruise ships dock??

-gina-

Have you heard any good places to snorkel on Seven Mile Beach in Grand Cayman? We just want to hang out at the beach and snorkel throughout the day. My son will be 21 months, so most of the snorkel excursions are not an option for us.

I'm also bumping this back up because a wonderful DIS-er who was supposed to be on our 2/2/02 cruise, but had to cancel, just told me that by Divine Intervention, she and her family were planning on booking the 2/1/03 cruise -- and she didn't even know I was booked on that cruise! I was soooooo disappointed when she had to cancel -- now I'm so excited that we'll finally get to meet on that gorgeous ship! She's Terrye from Alaska -- c'mon out, Terrye!!

Ok, I just found the thread....COUNT US IN!!! Thanks, Gina! :) I can't wait to meet you and your adorable son!

I like the idea of our 2/1/03 group creating our own excursion for a better price...after all, there is safety in numbers, right? And if something goes wrong and we miss the boat, at least we won't be stranded alone. :)

Oh, our alaska group -

Me (34)
SO (32)
DS (11)
DF - Dear/Disney friend (31)
her DH (43)
her DD (12) and (3)

What is this "Capt. Marvs" I keep seeing? Is that something I should check into for doing excursions on our own? If it is cheaper than DCL and will allow 4 year olds - sounds good already!

I said:
I'm so excited that we'll finally get to meet on that gorgeous ship! She's Terrye from Alaska -- c'mon out, Terrye!!

Terrye, I just realized that I sounded like I was introducing you on Star Search or something... LOL I'm so glad you're here, and so glad you're coming!!

Originally posted by akterrye

I like the idea of our 2/1/03 group creating our own excursion for a better price...after all, there is safety in numbers, right? And if something goes wrong and we miss the boat, at least we won't be stranded alone. :)

Hey, that's a great idea! It sounds like a lot of us might be going to Stingray City via Captain Marvin's -- we can all pet the stingrays together. :) Is anyone else going to Playa Sol on their own?

In case anyone is interested, here are the known stats so far for the DIS contingent on the 2/1 cruise:

31 adults
8 boys, ages: 1.5, 6, 8 (2), 9, 11 (2), and 12
8 girls, ages: 3, 4 (3), 7, 10, 12, and 17

Plus, there were various adults and teenagers names but not listed, and a few people haven't given any info. But we have a pretty big, fun group so far!

Tyler Dean (DS) loved meeting other "DIS kids" last time... he'll be thrilled to find out that DVCBob's DD will be in his same age group. Hey, he grew up on DIS -- he thinks he's somehow related to Dan Murphy, since we always seem to run into him at WDW. :D Hey, maybe I can make an "I'm a DIS kid" t-shirt for him for the cruise! Yay, a craft project! :)

-gina-

I decided to make this my first post after lurking here for almost a year an a half! We (me, DH and DD 7) are also on the 2/1/03 western. Can't wait to sit out on my verandah and watch the sea go by! This will be our second cruise on Disney. We had such a great time on our 4 night Wonder cruise in March, 2001 I just had to go again. These boards are great. I've learned so much valuable insight and information.

zebrastripes,

Welcome to the boards and our thread. Glad to hear you will be joining us on the 2-1-03 cruise. This will be our family's first and we are very excited!!! These boards are so fun and very addictive. I spend my lunch hour at work and then some.........:p

I saw the link above and checked out Capt.Marvs. You can book this far out and they will hold the ressie on your credit card,but will not charge it till the day of the excursion or you can pay cash. I don't know that I would want to do the real early ones in case it is cool in the morning. I know there is an 11:15 trip that would be nice and it takes about 2 hours. We would still have time to hang at the beach a couple hours afterwards. This would be fun if we could all reserve a spot for all who wants to go from this thread.:cool: :cool: :cool: I am ready to book anytime. Will it be Tuesday Feb 4th that we will be in the Caymans????

Thanks for the Capt. Marvin link - we'll definitely check that out!

Welcome, Zebrastripes!! Wow, there are going to be a lot of 8 year old DIS-ers on this cruise! :)

BabyJosie -- The 11:15 excursion was the one I was thinking about, too. 2 hours would be just right for DS and I. Oh, and I caved to peer pressure and went ahead and booked the package at the Radisson. LOL! I just decided that having breakfast taken care of and having a nicer room would be worth the difference in price. I just got paranoid that if I waited a long time to make up my mind, all the rooms would be gone! I know that place books up pretty full before a cruise. It was $124, discount for booking online. Now if Avis would come out with some sane rates for a 2-day rental, I'd be happy!

-gina-

Gina,

Ditto here!!! I am going to rent from Avis also so that I can turn the car in at the hotel. We are flying in on Thursday morning. I am watching for discount codes for Jan so I can book us one night at WDW. I would like WL or POLY if I could get a good rate??? We will see. I was the same as you and figured the goodies and a full breakfast would be worth it. I hope to get an upgrade also. It is nice that they just hold the room on your card and don't charge it till you check in.

I am thinking of reserving the spot at Capt Marv's also. 11:15 would work great for us. Should not be bad getting off the ship and we can have breakfast before we go. Sounds like it is a popular excursion and I don't want to miss out.

All this planning is kinda fun!! I have even been buying summer clothes and sandals on clearance and setting them aside for our vacations. There are some good deals at the malls now. Ordered DD a cute swimsuit from Disney for 75%. Come Feb in St.louis I won't find any summer stuff or even October??? I already see winter stuff out.:;)

Originally posted by BABYJOSIE98
Gina,

Ditto here!!! I am going to rent from Avis also so that I can turn the car in at the hotel. We are flying in on Thursday morning. I am watching for discount codes for Jan so I can book us one night at WDW. I would like WL or POLY if I could get a good rate??? We will see.

That's what we're doing -- flying in Thursday. I'm still up in the air as to where we'll stay that night, though. As much as I'd love to stay at on of the All-Stars, even the DC rate if available will still be at least $60... and I can't justify that since I'm already splurging for the night at the Radisson. I'd just as soon stay offsite that one night at whatever place is closest to Epcot. I have no clue what that might be, however. :) I guess I need to post that to the offsite hotel board.

I am thinking of reserving the spot at Capt Marv's also. 11:15 would work great for us. Should not be bad getting off the ship and we can have breakfast before we go. Sounds like it is a popular excursion and I don't want to miss out.

I didn't want to miss out either, and I think that time slot is probably *very* popular. Not too early, and not too late. I just got DS and I all reserved for the 11:15-1:15 excursion. Yay!! :D

All this planning is kinda fun!! I have even been buying summer clothes and sandals on clearance and setting them aside for our vacations. There are some good deals at the malls now. Ordered DD a cute swimsuit from Disney for 75%. Come Feb in St.louis I won't find any summer stuff or even October??? I already see winter stuff out.:;)

*Kinda* fun?!? LOL Planning is half the fun for me. :) And yeah, I'm going to start getting some stuff at the sales pretty soon, too. 75% off a Disney swimsuit?? That's awesome!! Man, and I was just at the Disney Store... unfortunately, I have tunnel vision when I'm there -- make a beeline straight for the pins. LOL!

Hey, speaking of, who else is bringing their pins??

shutting up now,
-gina-

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter