1st Trip "Out West" - Will This Work?

keishashadow

Proud Redhead...yes, I have some bananas!
Finally have talked DH to venturing to DL next year (he was stationed in San Diego years ago).

Everyone wants to see something different, in & out of the State. I've narrowed it down to the following:

Day 1: (some airport - hopefully not LAX); pick up rental car to DL, check in 4 nights on-site.

Days 2 thru 4: 3 days in parks

Days 5 thru 7: Drive to Las Vegas (after am rush hour - hopefully 4 - 5 hours?)

Days 8 thru 9: Drive to Grand Canyon via Hoover Dam (another 4 - 5 hours plus stopping time @ Dam?)

Day 10: Drive back to Las Vegas or Phoenix for return home (whichever is closer/cheaper).

Am I being too ambitious? All comments/suggestions welcome, especially as to which LA airport is quickest to Anaheim.

I've checked w/AAA TA, she's really out of her element, said she's never heard of this type of trip?

While its not a trip I can say I've done, it sure looks doable. You know with enough time and money you can do just about anything!

You dont say what time of year you are coming, who how old the party is. As long as it is not the super, super busy peak summer or Christmas holiday season I think your plan will work for California and Las Vegas part. 3 days at Disneyland is the absolute minimum. If you are adults only or older kids, then it will be easier to do things quicker than with small children. I think Las Vegas is more like 3-4 hours instead of 4-5, but it depends on what time of day you go and how fast you travel I suppose. I am not familiar with the Grand Canyon part, but we have talked about doing that ourselves this summer.

John Wayne/Santa Ana is the closest airport to Disneyland, about 14 miles away. Long Beach is next closest and Ontario the next after that, about 30 minutes away during non-peak hours.

You are going to be spending a lot of your time in the car. The drive to Las Vegas is pretty much that...just a drive. The same Las Vegas to Grand Canyon. On a 10 day trip, 3 of those days will be mostly driving days. Not a big deal for some families at all, for others it would be torture.

I also noticed you didnt have a beach day in there. Might not be what you are choosing to do, but most people that come to California want to at least see the beach and the Pacific Ocean, so I thought I would mention it. :sunny:

Sounds like a fun trip for adults or older kids.

We'd be there the 3rd & early part of 4th week in June. Was told that it doesn't get "really" busy @ DL until beginning of July? We don't feel the need to ride everything there, quite a few attractions are duplicated in WDW.

We're used to driving to the beach 10 - 12 hours/day, no big deal. Moreso worried about traffic woes. We were advised to avoid LAX @ all costs. Unfortunately for us, the few flights avail. into John Wayne or Ontario are limited, connecting & expensive.

Would prefer to fly into LAX & catch a shuttle to DL, stay 4 days, then pick up a rental car for rest of trip but, I can't find info as to whether there are any on-site or nearby. Can anyone advise on this?

We've never seen the desert area, so we're actually looking forward to it.

Vegas & G. Canyon won out over the beach. If I'm going to the beach, I want to stay @ a hotel on the beach so I don't have to deal w/sand, etc. on drive back & it just seems like too big of a hassle to keep switching hotels.

Should only be 3 or 4 of us, youngest DS would be 14.

I'm "cheap" & hate to pay full price for anything. Which is why I'm pricing out all trip components now to see if it's within our reach, then we'll start saving. IMO the off-site hotels @ DL are a bargin compared to ones near WDW but, we'd probably use DVC points for on-site.

Vegas has quite a few room deals on the strip for that time too.

I'm very interested in your post as it mirrors a trip we'd like to take some time in the spring of 2007.

Our plan is to fly in to Vegas, drive to the Grand Canyon for a couple of days, see either Bryce or Zion and then on to DL. This would probably be a one time only trip for us, so we'd like to see as much as possible. I'm thinking it will be about a 10 day trip, but we are in the very early planning stages. Just wish there was a great web site like this for the National Parks. If anyone has any info on which is best, Bryce or Zion, I'd love to hear it.

Have a great time on your trip. It sounds very doable to me!

Susan

There are not rental cars on site, but there are some that will deliver. I know we did that a few years ago. We rented a car for one day to go to magic mountain. I think it was enterprise. They brought it to us, and picked it up when we were done.

But, unless LAX is a huge money savings, I wouldnt choose to fly into there. Its big, its busy, and its not that close to DL.

...and we're both from PA too! Good, you plan it out since you'll leave first & give me the details LOL. It's probably the only trip we'll make to the motherland too...need to squeeze everything in best we can. The AAA guidebooks are of some help (& free).

Didn't think about reversing the trip, might be the way to go. It looks like PIT to Phoenix is the cheapest route for us. Assume we could pick up a car there & drop it off "somewhere" near Anaheim. Will have to call rental agencies...we like National or Alamo but, Enterprise is certainly a good idea.

Sound like a bumpkin but, I'm afraid of driving on busy LA highways.:crazy2: Trying to limit our drive time to non-rush hours (if there are such things in LA).

I'm hoping that traffic "thins out" after you leave the Anaheim/LA area towards Vegas?

susan137 said:
I'm very interested in your post as it mirrors a trip we'd like to take some time in the spring of 2007.

Our plan is to fly in to Vegas, drive to the Grand Canyon for a couple of days, see either Bryce or Zion and then on to DL. This would probably be a one time only trip for us, so we'd like to see as much as possible. I'm thinking it will be about a 10 day trip, but we are in the very early planning stages. Just wish there was a great web site like this for the National Parks. If anyone has any info on which is best, Bryce or Zion, I'd love to hear it.

Susan

I'm not worried about the airport (can't imagine anything worse than MCO's security lines that @ times seem to stretch back to the parks;) ) - it's driving on the infamous freeways that give me the willies.
Judy from Boise said:
I really don't think LAX is that bad of an airport :)

Have you all been to the ocean lately? This is just my own personal opinion... but why go to Las Vegas with the crowds and the "ick" when you can listen to the waves crashing and smell the salt, and throw bread to the seagulls... and just "be". There has never been a more relaxing thing in my life than falling asleep on the sand with a little sunshine on my face. THAT is the best theraphy money can buy. (NOT those crowded sweaty body beaches though. Those secluded ones, tucked away.) ahhh.... ;)

keishashadow said:
...and we're both from PA too! Good, you plan it out since you'll leave first & give me the details LOL. It's probably the only trip we'll make to the motherland too...need to squeeze everything in best we can. The AAA guidebooks are of some help (& free).

Didn't think about reversing the trip, might be the way to go. It looks like PIT to Phoenix is the cheapest route for us. Assume we could pick up a car there & drop it off "somewhere" near Anaheim. Will have to call rental agencies...we like National or Alamo but, Enterprise is certainly a good idea.

Sound like a bumpkin but, I'm afraid of driving on busy LA highways.:crazy2: Trying to limit our drive time to non-rush hours (if there are such things in LA).

I'm hoping that traffic "thins out" after you leave the Anaheim/LA area towards Vegas?

We are from Shippensburg, near the MD border, so BWI is the airport we use. I think you can get some pretty good deals flying in Vagas. Southwest Ding fares are always good to watch.

There were some really good shows on the travel channel yesterday about the National Parks in the West. I really enjoyed it and think it conviced me that I'd like to see Bryce over Zion. Anyway, we have lots of time to plan and that is always half the fun for me.

I am a little worried abou the traffic. We lived in Miami for awhile, but that was ten years ago. I've really gotten used to "Small Town USA" here in Shippensburg. I guess we'll just take it slow and hope for the best.

Have fun planning!

Susan

We've been fortunate to be able to visit the Atlantic Ocean many times. I'd like to see the Pacific but, it holds no allure for DH (who sailed it for many years in the service) and probably didn't see the best side of it when he was stationed in San Diego.

It's 15 degrees outside now, hot & sweaty works for me as long as hotel in Vegas has a nice pool-scape.

Life is a series of trade-offs. DH's been indulging me in my WDW habit for years. However, the only way I could entice him back to So. CA was if I threw in the Grand Canyon & Vegas as a kicker.

We do enjoy viewing both the man-made & natural wonders. I hate to lose more than $20 gambling. DH loves the action, is responsible though - sets a dollar limit & sticks to it (so far:teeth: ).

Planning this trip will be a challenge, the info's not really out there like it is for WDW. Did find a Dummies National Park book @ library yesterday (right up my alley).

Don't be scared off by LAX. It's quite large, but what does it matter when you're arriving and headed to a rental car lot via shuttle to pick up your car? You simply get off your plane, traverse the long tunnels, grab your bags and get on the shuttle. Every car rental agency in town is between the airport and the 405 freeway and plenty of signs will get you on the freeway and headed south. Try and time your arrival for non rush hour and you'll be fine.

If you are driving to Las Vegas from the LA/Orange County area on a Friday, be aware that it's a popular destination for southern californians, and Friday afternoon is when they start heading out. Once you are on the 15 freeway and past Barstow, it's 2 lanes straight into Vegas, where it expands by another lane or two. Without significant traffic delays, and depending on the weight of your hubby's foot, you can be there in 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 hours.

Have a great trip!!!

Thanks all, we've got recommendations to try & get a flight into John Wayne (hello, pilgrim - what a :cool1: name for an airport). Is that also known as Orange airport? Others have mentioned Ontario as a better choice than LAX. Wonder if there's a Dummies for LA guidebook?

Was playing around w/Mapquest & it looked like there was a quicker, direct route to the Grand Canyon(Tusayan, AZ) from Anaheim via I-15, I-40 E, then AZ 64 N (at least an hour quicker than Anaheim to Tusayan via Vegas. Can anyone verify this?

My AAA TA wasn't sure what state the Grand Canyon was in, let alone where the hotel areas were:confused3 .

Your TA doesn't know what state the GC is in??? Me thinks it's time to get a new TA! :rotfl:

Anywho, we did Vegas to Sedona to the Grand Canyon and back to Vegas in October. The most traffic we got was getting out of Vegas and through Hoover Dam. Aside from that, we basically had the road to ourselves! I don't remember exact driving times but I know that it was a nice drive. On the way back, we did not go through Hoover Dam though.

If you are staying in the Grand Canyon you need to book waaaay ahead of time, they book up early. We stayed at the Cameron Trading Post which is in the middle of nowhere but it is only about 1/2 hour to the park with no traffic at all. It also afforded us a great first look at the canyon from Desert View.
On the way to the motel, I was quite worried. Wondering what I had gotten us into, but we were pleasantly surprised. Nice clean motel with a good onsite restaurant. I hate to say it, but I am a motel snob. :cool2: and I was very satisfied with this place. It is also supposed to be convenient to the North Rim. On the way to the motel we drove the loop to see Sunset Crater & Wupatki Nat'l Monument. This was a "no schedules" trip so we could take our time. Since we were coming in from Sedona on Hwy 89 it was onvenient for us, coming in from Vegas, it may be out of your way.

On our last day we went to the GC Visitors Center to buy some stuff & exited through Tusayan. Tiny town with a few motels and restaurants, really close to the entrance of the GC.

OK, I'll stop yakking now :confused3 Have fun planning!

Agree, the GC on-site properties run by xanterra are expensive & most w/o AC!:eek: Somehow I'm thinking it'll be hot the end of June & it's essential? Lot of the rooms don't have private baths either...plan on staying somewhere off site. Found a couple hotels in Tusayan (BW & HI - still pretty pricey for budget accom.)

Will have to find a map & look for towns along the way. Starting to wonder if it'd be easier to start out in Phoenix & head north to GC...mapquest sez it's less than 4 hours?

I'm sure to appreciate the wonders of DL if done in that order.:teeth:

Lissete said:
Your TA doesn't know what state the GC is in??? Me thinks it's time to get a new TA! :rotfl:

Anywho, we did Vegas to Sedona to the Grand Canyon and back to Vegas in October. The most traffic we got was getting out of Vegas and through Hoover Dam. Aside from that, we basically had the road to ourselves! I don't remember exact driving times but I know that it was a nice drive. On the way back, we did not go through Hoover Dam though.

If you are staying in the Grand Canyon you need to book waaaay ahead of time, they book up early. We stayed at the Cameron Trading Post which is in the middle of nowhere but it is only about 1/2 hour to the park with no traffic at all. It also afforded us a great first look at the canyon from Desert View.
On the way to the motel, I was quite worried. Wondering what I had gotten us into, but we were pleasantly surprised. Nice clean motel with a good onsite restaurant. I hate to say it, but I am a motel snob. :cool2: and I was very satisfied with this place. It is also supposed to be convenient to the North Rim. On the way to the motel we drove the loop to see Sunset Crater & Wupatki Nat'l Monument. This was a "no schedules" trip so we could take our time. Since we were coming in from Sedona on Hwy 89 it was onvenient for us, coming in from Vegas, it may be out of your way.

On our last day we went to the GC Visitors Center to buy some stuff & exited through Tusayan. Tiny town with a few motels and restaurants, really close to the entrance of the GC.

OK, I'll stop yakking now :confused3 Have fun planning!

susan137 said:

Susan

I lived 50 miles away from Zion for most of my life and have been to both Bryce and Zion many times. It really depends on what you want to see. Bryce is stunning, but you do a TON of hiking. And you really only see the same kinds of things.

Zion is great! There are tons of different things to see from Weeping Rock to Angel's Landing to the Temple of Sacajeweah (sp?) There are some hikes from easy level to hard, and there are lots of rangers about who love to answer questions.

I'd recommend Zion over Bryce, particularly if you're interested in less drive time. Zion is a lot closer to the Grand Canyon than Bryce is. However, they are both beautiful places!

Have a fun trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter