1st time at Kidani - should I request anything?

travelbug

DIS Veteran
A friend and I will be arriving at Kidani Village in 10 days. I've never been there before. The closest I've been is over at Jambo House eating at Boma a few times.

We'll be in a savanna view studio. I think I'll try online check-in this time, which I've never done before either. My understanding is that I can make requests for location, view, whatever as I do that. I totally understand that requests are only requests, there's no guarantee, etc. etc. But I figure it's at least worth a try, if there's something in particular I should request.

Those who have stayed at Kidani before, did you make any location requests? Do you have any suggestions? Thanks!

I think online checkin is too late. You need to call now to have the request added.

Most prototypical request is low floor (closer to animals) and near lobby (Kidani's hallways are much, much longer than any other DVC.)

NEAR TO LOBBY

the corridors at Kidani can be never ending, seriously they just goon and on and on, we were only halfwy down the corridor, and comig back after a late night at one of the parks the anticipation of the walk was almost enough to make me just sleep in the lobyy.

then do you floor request

but put near to lobby first, as the first request is the one they will try hardest to fulfill

We were there in January and didn't make any requests at all.

We did do online check in and when we arrived at noon our room was ready. :cool1:

Yes.... the halls seem to be never ending, :rolleyes: but there are two things to think about when making a room request. When you are near the elevators you have to accept whatever hall noise comes your way.

We were almost to the end on the 5th floor, room 7599, and it was extremely quiet. We never heard a peep at any time and we loved it. For that reason alone it might be worth it to request far from elevators.

We are also over 60 years young and even though we were near the end of the resort, we love walking and didn't mind at all. :sad2:

Good luck with your decision. popcorn::

Without requests, we had the very last room on the Pembe savannah, the same level as the lobby. It was a very far walk, but we saw many, many animals. It was the best animal viewing we ever had according to DdiL & DGC. (no giraffes or zebras, but we saw them in other places at the resort).

I was happy because my family was happy, but walking is hard for me, and I have now requested that near elevators be added to all of my reservations.

I don't think elevator guarantees anything for close to lobby.
(elevator is great if you are only going down to your car in the parking garage, though ;) )
It looks like the Kidani map has an elevator between the 6th and 7th "pods" on the Pembe side of the resort. (There is 9 "pods" on that side) The main Pembe "pod" is only pod number 5 from the lobby.

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

I called MS today and asked to add a request for "near the lobby". The CM politely said, "Sure, I can add that as long as you realize that everyone who stays at that resort asks for that same thing." :lmao:

I went ahead and had her add the request, but I'm certainly not getting my hopes up. ;)

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

I called MS today and asked to add a request for "near the lobby". The CM politely said, "Sure, I can add that as long as you realize that everyone who stays at that resort asks for that same thing." :lmao:

I went ahead and had her add the request, but I'm certainly not getting my hopes up. ;)

lol:lmao: I popped in here to say "close to the lobby":laughing: We were there in September and requested this and ended up in a great location. We were near the elevator, but didn't notice any noise.
Have a ton of fun!:thumbsup2

Keep in mind if you request the side the bus loop is on then you can walk the opposite way thru the parking garage and up one of the elevators. It cuts off some of the distance...hey every step helps after a long day at the parks!

The distance from lobby to end rooms on the north wing is about 1/3 mile (when walking it after returning from a park at night, you feel like you need to stop half way down, pitch a tent to spend the night and then continue the long arduous journey in the morning); a little shorter to end rooms on south wing. Also being close to lobby gives you excellent views of the Sunset Savanna and puts you close to everything: pool, bus stop, store, restaurant, and community hall. As a result of those combination of facts, close to lobby has become the most popular request at Kidani.

Close to elevator would not be a similar request because there are two sets of elevators along each wing that are away from the lobby (and the second set is close to the end of the wing). However, an alternative request would be close to community hall.

I do not know whether you can now make requests for AKV when doing on-line check-in. You can do so for SSR now (starting last week) but it is a check-off system; you get a list of popular requests and can check off two. You cannot write in anything. I don't know if that system is there yet for AKL. Nevertheless, you can still call and make requests.

I think that the floor level is the most important if you are paying for a savanna view room. The 2nd and 3rd floors have the best views. The higher rooms are "in the trees."

Also, if you are driving being close to the lobby loses some of its importance. When we stay at Kidani we always rent a car for the week and drive to the parks. We find it easier and quicker v. waiting for the buses. This obviously takes care of the issue of being near the lobby for the bus stop.

Man I cannot even imagine getting put in a room at the end of the hall! I need to stop for a drink half way!

Yes.... the halls seem to be never ending, :rolleyes: but there are two things to think about when making a room request. When you are near the elevators you have to accept whatever hall noise comes your way.

We were almost to the end on the 5th floor, room 7599, and it was extremely quiet. We never heard a peep at any time and we loved it. For that reason alone it might be worth it to request far from elevators.

Good point about end of the hallway being quietest. We were reasonably close to the lobby and almost every night after midnight had preteens (?) running down the hall rapping hard on the doors. I doubt they got down as far as you were.

Another time (same room) the noise from the hallway was unbelievable in the evenings with all the families running past and calling back and forth. It felt like they were running through our unit and we were in the way.

Have to agree, near the elevators is a shorter walk but the animals seem to stay further away from the public viewing areas and the wild kids seem to hover near the lobby.

I would request near elevator and 2nd or 3rd floor on Sunset savanna.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter