1st ever cruise (wonder down under)

KEK1

Mouseketeer
Hi,
We are shortly boarding the Wonder from Melbourne- Auckland, 5 nights.We have never cruised before. If someone could answer these questions I would be very grateful!
1) we have a small amount of OBC through Dreams, and I was wondering if I could partially pay for our tips- is this correct and if so how do I do this?
2) what drinks are included in the cruise price (eg at meals) or are they all extra?
3) do I need to print out all the documents I used to do online checkin , or just the PAT sheet? (Big thank you to the person who started that v useful thread as we got BG 6 :) )
4) it looks like I need to bring clothes for pirate night, and formal night, reading people's TR, is that it?
5) do you have to buy the photo package or will the attendants use your phone like in the parks?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
1. Credit will be applied automatically to your stateroom account. Gratuity will be too.
2. Included drinks are soft drinks, milk, tea, coffee. (These are included everywhere on board except cans of soda from bars and room service.)
3. No need to print other document.
4. You can bring clothes to dress up but it isn’t required.
5. For character photos the attendants will use your phone.

1) we have a small amount of OBC through Dreams, and I was wondering if I could partially pay for our tips- is this correct and if so how do I do this?
I use Dreams too and love the OBC. In August I had a note outside my door with my room key on embarkation day which said how much had been added to my room account. Just go to guest services on embarkation day and tell them you want to use the OBC for the tips.

2) what drinks are included in the cruise price (eg at meals) or are they all extra?
  1. All soda, tea, coffee and hot chocolate at the self service machines on Deck 9 Aft beside Dorys Reef and the Aft Elevators
  2. All soda, tea, coffee and hot chocolate at the self service machines in Cabanas on Deck 9 Aft
  3. All soda, tea, coffee and hot chocolate in the Main Dining Rooms
  4. Tea, coffee, hot chocolate from room service
  5. Flavoured water in the Spa area and Rainforest Room
3) do I need to print out all the documents I used to do online checkin , or just the PAT sheet? (Big thank you to the person who started that v useful thread as we got BG 6 :) )
Just the PAT sheet. They will check it multiple times so have it ready. They will check it
  • Outside the terminal to make sure you are there at the correct time
  • Inside the terminal at check in, you will also need your passport / Government ID here
  • At the entrance to the waiting area
  • When your boarding group is called
  • Boarding the ship, they will scan it to scan you on as you wont have your KTTW Card
4) it looks like I need to bring clothes for pirate night, and formal night, reading people's TR, is that it?
You dont HAVE to bring any special clothes if you don't want to. Some people go all out with Cosplay costumes, some people have regular clothes that have the look of Pirates, some people just have a Pirate tshirt, some people have normal clothes and just the Pirate bandana, some people don't wear anything Pirate themed.

5 night cruises don't usually have a formal night.
5) do you have to buy the photo package or will the attendants use your phone like in the parks?
Thanks in advance!
No you don't have to buy the photo package. Yes the character minders will use your phone for photographs. Just be aware the photographers come around the tables during the dinners in MDR. I just say no thanks.

1. Credit will be applied automatically to your stateroom account. Gratuity will be too.
2. Included drinks are soft drinks, milk, tea, coffee. (These are included everywhere on board except cans of soda from bars and room service.)
3. No need to print other document.
4. You can bring clothes to dress up but it isn’t required.
5. For character photos the attendants will use your phone.
Thanks very much for your reply!

I use Dreams too and love the OBC. In August I had a note outside my door with my room key on embarkation day which said how much had been added to my room account. Just go to guest services on embarkation day and tell them you want to use the OBC for the tips.

1. All soda, tea, coffee and hot chocolate at the self service machines on Deck 9 Aft beside Dorys Reef and the Aft Elevators
  2. All soda, tea, coffee and hot chocolate at the self service machines in Cabanas on Deck 9 Aft
  3. All soda, tea, coffee and hot chocolate in the Main Dining Rooms
  4. Tea, coffee, hot chocolate from room service
  5. Flavoured water in the Spa area and Rainforest Room

Just the PAT sheet. They will check it multiple times so have it ready. They will check it
  • Outside the terminal to make sure you are there at the correct time
  • Inside the terminal at check in, you will also need your passport / Government ID here
  • At the entrance to the waiting area
  • When your boarding group is called
  • Boarding the ship, they will scan it to scan you on as you wont have your KTTW Card

You dont HAVE to bring any special clothes if you don't want to. Some people go all out with Cosplay costumes, some people have regular clothes that have the look of Pirates, some people just have a Pirate tshirt, some people have normal clothes and just the Pirate bandana, some people don't wear anything Pirate themed.

5 night cruises don't usually have a formal night.

No you don't have to buy the photo package. Yes the character minders will use your phone for photographs. Just be aware the photographers come around the tables during the dinners in MDR. I just say no thanks.
Thanks so much for your very detailed reply, I really appreciate it! Love your TRs
Is water available anywhere?

2. I believe that juices (orange, apple, etc) are also free (unless that changed post-COVID).

4. I don't believe the Aussie cruises have a formal night. At least, our five night cruise does not. Disney will provide you with a Mickey-themed pirate bandana, so you can just wear that on pirate night. Or pack a striped shirt or pack a full pirate costume - it's completely up to you.

Bonus: it looks as though paper daily itineraries are also available (possibly at guest services) in addition to the Navigator app. It might be a good idea for you to pack a highlighter and grab the paper daily itinerary to decide what you would like to do as it's your first cruise and you may not be aware of all the options.

Enjoy the Wonder down under!

2. I believe that juices (orange, apple, etc) are also free (unless that changed post-COVID).

4. I don't believe the Aussie cruises have a formal night. At least, our five night cruise does not. Disney will provide you with a Mickey-themed pirate bandana, so you can just wear that on pirate night. Or pack a striped shirt or pack a full pirate costume - it's completely up to you.

Bonus: it looks as though paper daily itineraries are also available (possibly at guest services) in addition to the Navigator app. It might be a good idea for you to pack a highlighter and grab the paper daily itinerary to decide what you would like to do as it's your first cruise and you may not be aware of all the options.

We just got off the Wonder this morning.
Yes juices are included.
We didn't have an official formal night but took an outfit for it and just picked a night to be our formal dress up night.
We picked up a paper navigator at guest services every day. The next days one was usually printed by 19:00ish. I feel this was easier to look at sometimes compared to the navigator app. The highlighter tip is a good tip, we used to use them on the old paper navigators.

We just got off the Wonder this morning.
Yes juices are included.
We didn't have an official formal night but took an outfit for it and just picked a night to be our formal dress up night.
We picked up a paper navigator at guest services every day. The next days one was usually printed by 19:00ish. I feel this was easier to look at sometimes compared to the navigator app. The highlighter tip is a good tip, we used to use them on the old paper navigators.
Did you enjoy the cruise? How was it? Was this one of the cruises to "nowhere"? Would you go again?

Did you enjoy the cruise? How was it? Was this one of the cruises to "nowhere"? Would you go again?
Was a great cruise, DCL has learnt a lot about how Australians cruise and what they like. Ours was Sydney to Sydney with a port stop in Hobart. Character lines were the craziest I have ever seen them. On the first sea day lines were closing 15-30 minutes before their start time and people started queuing for up to 1hr before start time. From talking to character CMs they are already looking at changes based on what they experienced. Even as the days went on they extended character appearance times and made some tweaks. I think they also underestimated how much Australians like bingo, every session was packed, more so than on cruises to other places. I would do it again but would prefer the cost be more comparable to other cruises of similar length.

Yes juices are included.
Thank you!

We definitely find the paper navigators easier than the app (although it's possible the app has improved since we last cruised). And it will be nice to chat about the next day's activities over dinner while perusing the paper navigator.

How did you enjoy your cruise?

Character lines were the craziest I have ever seen them. On the first sea day lines were closing 15-30 minutes before their start time and people started queuing for up to 1hr before start time.
Oh no! That does not sound good for lining up with a toddler - an hour before the start time, plus all that time waiting in line.

Did it settle down later in the cruise? Or was it that crazy busy every day? Our daughter LOVES meeting the characters, but there's no way we can do 75+ minutes waiting in a line with a toddler.

Oh no! That does not sound good for lining up with a toddler - an hour before the start time, plus all that time waiting in line.

Did it settle down later in the cruise? Or was it that crazy busy every day? Our daughter LOVES meeting the characters, but there's no way we can do 75+ minutes waiting in a line with a toddler.
We just did the HI to Sydney cruise which was less crowded but for such a long cruise and one with so few kids, I was surprised at some of the character lines. One note, you don’t have to wait together with a toddler (no one wants that). It’s fine if one parent wants to grab a book or a drink and stand in line with the other parent joining with the toddler when you’re close to the front. I think it’s rude when one adult holds the line for a huge group of mixed families who suddenly want 15 different photo combinations but one parent holding a spot for one small child is very understandable and saves everyone in line from the meltdowns.

I hope you have a fantastic time!

It’s fine if one parent wants to grab a book or a drink and stand in line with the other parent joining with the toddler when you’re close to the front.
Good point! It sounds like I'll need to stock up on eBooks before we set sail. Any chance bar service extends to the character lines? : )

Was a great cruise, DCL has learnt a lot about how Australians cruise and what they like. Ours was Sydney to Sydney with a port stop in Hobart. Character lines were the craziest I have ever seen them. On the first sea day lines were closing 15-30 minutes before their start time and people started queuing for up to 1hr before start time. From talking to character CMs they are already looking at changes based on what they experienced. Even as the days went on they extended character appearance times and made some tweaks. I think they also underestimated how much Australians like bingo, every session was packed, more so than on cruises to other places. I would do it again but would prefer the cost be more comparable to other cruises of similar length.

You sure? They didn’t add the craps tables.

Honestly as a Canadian on an Australian cruise I am excited for the different demographic compared to when I sail the Caribbean with the almost exclusively North American and British clientele. I think a majority Aussie/kiwi ship will have a different a fun vibe.

I've read some concerning reports, especially about the theft of door magnets, fish extender gifts, etc.

We are a nation of convicts after all!

I won’t have those things. Just hoping to have some mates in the adult venues to talk to.

Thank you! I was wondering about buying a bandana but won't bother now.

Thank you! I was wondering about buying a bandana but won't bother now.
They will give you a bandana on pirate night . At least we got one on the Hawaiian one last month.

They take your room to the key card for them or ask your room number. You go to the photo kiosk and look at them . You can buy your packages on them. I picked 15 for a price and had them downloaded to my phone before I left. Or you can wait and pick when you get home. Pictures stay on website for 45 days if I decide I want more. If you buy a package and change your mind they will refund it.

Hi,
We are shortly boarding the Wonder from Melbourne- Auckland, 5 nights.We have never cruised before. If someone could answer these questions I would be very grateful!
Thanks in advance!
1. Yes, just go to guest services and ask to apply your on board credit to the tips. You can also call them.
2 Tea, coffee (not espresso/lattes), soft drinks, iced tea, hot chocolate, juice.
3. We were asked to print out our PAT. When we boarded last Saturday, a few people were having problems with the app so it made it easier to have the print out.
4. There is no formal night on board. Pirate Night is optional if you want to dress up. Last week, I saw everyone from complete costume to just shirts to pirate inspired outfits to just the bandanna to just regular clothes
5. We found there were very few photographers on board. In the 4 days, we only took 114 photos which is absolutely nothing for us. Many characters didn't have Shutters photographers, there weren't many photo ops around the cruise. The attendants will use your phone or camera to take photos though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter