1st DVC visit at VGC in 2 weeks (1/17 - 1/20)

myxdvz

DVC - BLT
Hi all! 2 more weeks til our first visit to Disneyland as DVC members. w00t!!!! party:

As I finalize our details I'm finding out some pros and cons of doing this with a DVC room...

• Having had to book this reservation 7 months in advance, the calendar was not published so I had to go with "trends" since this is Off season. I was fully anticipating some ride closures, less activities, fireworks ONLY on weekends (which is why we added a Friday park stay even though we're checking out of the hotel on Friday), but I was expecting WoC all the days we're there. This week, I found out that they've cancelled WoC on the weekdays we are there (T, W, Th) so I only have the opportunity to catch it on our last day, F, wchi is also the only day where the fireworks will be shown. As a result, I don't think we can watch both... bummer :sad2:
  • I learned that Toontown Morning Madness tickets are only available if you book a Hotel/Ticket package via WDTC. I bought my tickets thru them, but since I have DVC, I didn't need a hotel, ergo - no TTMM tickets :confused3
  • My girls are obsessed with bunk beds so they saw some photos of rooms with bunk beds and were a bit disappointed when I told them our room won't have any

I'm trying not to let these things bother me and dampen my excitement of the trip as I'm really looking forward to staying at the VGC. Hopefully, this would be balanced by having the park all to ourselves :) :rolleyes1

I've been comparing rental car and transfer prices since we're doing a Universal Studios trip before we do Disney. LAX - US - DLR - LAX and it looks like renting a car for a week is the best value (~$200). Is parking at VGC free for DVC members? I seem to remember this as a perk. Also, is internet free as well? Does VGC have wireless now too?

Although not the premiere spot to see the fireworks, you can still see them from the esplanade between the two parks. Hang out there for the fireworks at 8:40....be near the entrance gate to DCA and then book it over to WoC to see that at 9:15. The parks are right next to one another, so if you don't mind having the world's best viewing spots, you can do it.

A few years ago I did something similar. I saw the Electrical Main St. parade at DCA and then was able to see the fireworks start as I got in the esplanade and then made it onto Main Street.

If you can only choose between the two, I would personally go with WoC as that is more unique to the DLR. But I still think you might be able to do both. I would pose this question on the DLR boards and see what others think.

thanks tofubeast! I did post this to the DL thread and they did say it is possible but I will only get to experience one at the fullest.

They recommended doing the 8:00 WoC (which I agree with), then walk to the Esplanade and watch the fireworks from there. It wouldn't be the optimum viewing position, but it will be visible (Not sure if we can here the music from there).

Are you staying in a studio or 1/2 BR? The 1/2BR has a trundle bed that folds down from under the TV. When DD10 saw that - she called sleeping there, and ended up loving it. It's kind of a novelty like bunkbeds.

Are you staying in a studio or 1/2 BR? The 1/2BR has a trundle bed that folds down from under the TV. When DD10 saw that - she called sleeping there, and ended up loving it. It's kind of a novelty like bunkbeds.

I was just looking at photos of the villas last night and saw this. We are staying at a 1 BR. I have 2 girls so I am going to see if this will cause a fight :)

If you're desperate to do the Toontown Morning Madness, you used to be able to buy the ticket package for $10 from the travel company in downtown disney, not that far from the DTD entrance to the Grand Cal. It includes a few collector pins, the TTMM tickets, and preferred seating tickets for some of the shows (shouldn't need these at this time of year). I don't know if this is still available, but you could check. I saw the TTMM show once, and while it was kind of cute, I don't think it was really worth $10, and I actually didn't think Toontown was less crowded later in the morning when we left the area (it was off season). Basically Mickey and a few friends do a couple of songs with some dancing, then they pick a family of the day to be honorary somethings, and the characters stick around for autographs. I don't really think you're missing all that much by not getting the TTMM tickets. I don't think the whole thing was longer than 20 minutes.

You should definitely take advantage of the Magic Morning entrance, which is available to all DL resort guests, including VGC guests (no separate ticket required though you do need your room key). That's the early entry by an hour to disneyland on Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday. It's awesome, especially in the off season when it can start as late as 9am.

VGC has always had wireless. And parking for 2 cars is included with the room at no extra charge, though parking is across the street. You can pull into the drop off area and drop the luggage with bell services if you have a lot of stuff.

Maybe the girls could take turns with the Murphy bed.

Other random thoughts: guest services has free DVD rentals for DVC members with a decent selection. Whitewater snacks has a few groceries but is pretty limited in selection and a bit on the pricey side. We've found that Marri's pizza and Fa-Sa-Thai will deliver food to the resort. You might want to bring your swimsuits just in case - the weather can be quite variable but it's been in the 80's here this week.

Have a great trip!

If you're desperate to do the Toontown Morning Madness, you used to be able to buy the ticket package for $10 from the travel company in downtown disney, not that far from the DTD entrance to the Grand Cal. It includes a few collector pins, the TTMM tickets, and preferred seating tickets for some of the shows (should need these at this time of year). I don't know if this is still available, but you could check. I saw the TTMM show once, and while it was kind of cute, I don't think it was really worth $10, and I actually didn't think Toontown was less crowded than later in the morning when we left the area (it was off season). Basically Mickey and a few friends do a couple of songs with some dancing, then they pick a family of the day to be honorary somethings, and the characters stick around for autographs. I don't really think you're missing all that much by not getting the TTMM tickets. I don't think the whole thing was longer than 20 minutes.

We will definitely check this out! My kids are 2, 4 and 6 so I think they will get a kick out of the characters "opening up" Toontown or something. We already have the preferred seating tickets for the shows and even a preferred parade viewing ticket (don't know where that actually is)? We do have the landyards already too and the collectible items - it's just the TTMM tickets that are missing (weird?).

VGC has always had wireless. And parking for 2 cars is included with the room at no extra charge, though parking is across the street. You can pull into the drop off area and drop the luggage with bell services if you have a lot of stuff.

Maybe the girls could take turns with the Murphy bed.

Other random thoughts: guest services has free DVD rentals for DVC members with a decent selection. Whitewater snacks has a few groceries but is pretty limited in selection and a bit on the pricey side. We've found that Marri's pizza and Fa-Sa-Thai will deliver food to the resort. You might want to bring your swimsuits just in case - the weather can be quite variable but it's been in the 80's here this week.

Have a great trip!

We probably will be doing breakfast in the room because the parks don't open until 10am, so the grocery tips help. Will also look for someone who delivers. Although, if I understand it, DCA is technically, unofficially open at 9:00am (or is it 9:30am?) for VGC guests.

We definitely are bringing swim suits. We've been having great weather so far here in Chicago, so I was hoping that we can swim in CA.

Thanks for these tips!

We always place our orders through Vons. So far, all of our orders have been correct and on time. The only hitch is that if you order alcohol, you have to be present at delivery to sign for it.

Be prepared for your room not being ready until 4pm. In all of our times staying at GCV, our room has only been ready before 4pm on one trip. On our trip early last February it wasn't ready until around 5pm. That wouldn't have been an issues except for the fact that the Packers were playing in the Super Bowl and dh is a huge Packer fan! In hindsight, we should have rented a cabana with a tv in it.

Twice we have not gotten into our room much before 6:00, so that can happen as well.

We will definitely check this out! My kids are 2, 4 and 6 so I think they will get a kick out of the characters "opening up" Toontown or something. We already have the preferred seating tickets for the shows and even a preferred parade viewing ticket (don't know where that actually is)? We do have the landyards already too and the collectible items - it's just the TTMM tickets that are missing (weird?).

That is very strange since I've only heard of TTMM tickets being mentioned in that package and never as a separate hotel package amenity. Maybe ask at the front desk or guest services when you check in to see if they can give you some? The worst they can do is say no, and they're usually incredibly nice about it. And btw, in my original post, I meant to say that you shouldn't need the preferred seating tickets too much at this time of year since it's the slow period (I've fixed my typo already).

We probably will be doing breakfast in the room because the parks don't open until 10am, so the grocery tips help. Will also look for someone who delivers. Although, if I understand it, DCA is technically, unofficially open at 9:00am (or is it 9:30am?) for VGC guests.

I think it opens at 9:30 for all DLR hotel guests, but check with the front desk. It was opening earlier during the summertime, but I think that's over now. Boiseflyfisher is right about Von's delivery, and currently delivery charge is free for the first time.

We definitely are bringing swim suits. We've been having great weather so far here in Chicago, so I was hoping that we can swim in CA.

If you're from Chicago, you'd probably find today's weather nice enough to swim (high of 68 degrees - about 10 degrees too cold for me, wuss that I've become out here).

I agree that check in time is not reliable. We've gotten our room anywhere from 12:30 to almost 6pm. And we usually get there for rope drop on our first day so it's not about how early you show up.

Last fall, also during off season, they were opening Cali Adventure for on-site guests early soon though only a few rides were available ... Soarin & Little Mermaid. It was nice to be able to be at the rope for Toy Story Mania as doing that first thing in the morning or late in the evening is your best bet, even if the park isn't crowded the line gets long very easily.

World of Color being closed on the weekdays is an anomaly ... so sorry it happened during your trip!

The first year our room was ready at 11a, the second year just before 4p (and the carpet was still damp from being cleaned! yay!), this past year it was ready around 2p. Times vary so hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

I've found that plugging into the ethernet is faster than the wireless, but YMMV. The self-parking is included and not too far of a walk.

I think you'll be very impressed with VGC and enjoy it despite the glitches.

Thanks everyone!

I am not too worried about the room being ready. We check in on the 17th, but we will be doing USH that day, so we won't get to DLR until maybe 7pm-ish. 18th is our official park day (where we get there at rope drop).

I am going to change our schedule and go to DL on the 16th even though we're not staying on property so we can watch the fireworks. That way, we only have to worry about WoC on Friday. I know most people say that's too much of a drive, but an hours drive is normal in Chicago :)

An hour's drive could easily be more than double that with LA traffic. The USH to DL route crosses over some of the worst areas for traffic. Be sure and check www.sigalert.com to determine an optimal driving time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter