• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

1st cruise, I've got questions

Still not possible to make requests via MyCruise, so I've e-mailed, it was about seating for dinner (I requested for an adult only table). The CM made a note but no guarantees and that I will have to wait

Other questions that have come up as I was looking through navigators:
- Spa raffle
Just to make sure I understand it, you sign up during the open house, but you have to be present in person during the draw?
- On each navigator there was a special offer for the spa for that day
Do I sign up for these at the spa, call them, do these specials go quickly?
- The movies in the movie theater
Maybe silly, but when the navigator says 'movie start at 12pm' does it then start at 12pm or are there commercials and trailers first and the movie start at 12.15?
Movies--it will start at that time. There are no commercials/trailers...but if there is a Disney movie being released soon, they might have a 15 minute trailer of it--and that will be listed in the Navigator, with the actual movie time after it.

No idea on the spa stuff, but yes, from what I've read, you need to be present at the drawing to win.

This must be a change. Every time we went to the movie, there were always at least 2 or 3 Adventures by Disney commercials shown. One cruise we saw 9 movies and every time the same 3 Adventures by Disney commercials.
I don't remember them this summer on the Magic...but it is possible they had them...I only went to the Buena Vista theater once. I also don't remember them from the movie we saw at Walt Disney Theater. It definitely wasn't like the land movie theaters with 15+ minutes of commercials.

New question! GTY reservations are non-changeable. However, I've also read, as long as you want to upgrade and pay Disney more money, that doesn't really matter. I am in doubt, about upgrading from Oceanview to a Veranda. Some money came in making it affordable and it sounds so lovely when you wake up, open the doors, fresh sea air coming in...

However, I am a solo traveller. I've never fainted, or something similar, but still I do have a slight fear off passing out while being alone on a veranda. And on a ship in the middle of ocean, that's a bit different from my balcony at home.

Any advice?

Last edited:

New question! GTY reservations are non-changeable. However, I've also read, as long as you want to upgrade and pay Disney more money, that doesn't really matter. I am in doubt, about upgrading from Oceanview to a Veranda. Some money came in making it affordable and it sounds so lovely when you wake up, open the doors, fresh sea air coming in...

However, I am a solo traveller. I've never fainted, or something similar, but still I do have a slight fear off passing out while being alone on a veranda. And on a ship in the middle of ocean, that's a bit different from my balcony at home.

Any advice?

The railing is high enough that unless you are like 7 feet tall or doing something stupid like sitting on it or leaning WAY over, you're not falling off.

I'm not sure how passing out on a verandah is any different than passing out alone in your stateroom?

The railing is high enough that unless you are like 7 feet tall or doing something stupid like sitting on it or leaning WAY over, you're not falling off.

I'm not sure how passing out on a verandah is any different than passing out alone in your stateroom?

Thanks, it's hard to judge how high the railings are on pictures :)
If the railing wasn't high enough, and you would pass out, you could potentially fall overboard. If you faint in your stateroom, you would be found at some point when housekeeping comes in. If you have fallen overboard, housekeeping would walk into an empty room and they might only find out on disembarkation day.

Thanks, it's hard to judge how high the railings are on pictures :)
If the railing wasn't high enough, and you would pass out, you could potentially fall overboard. If you faint in your stateroom, you would be found at some point when housekeeping comes in. If you have fallen overboard, housekeeping would walk into an empty room and they might only find out on disembarkation day.

There are sensors that detect objects that go overboard.

It's honestly not something that ever crossed my mind. Mainly because "falling" overboard on a cruise ship not generally how people go overboard.

If you go overboard on a cruise ship, it's usually for one of 3 reasons:
1. You intentionally jump;
2. You are doing something stupid like standing on something AT the rail (leaning way over or not), being an idiot and trying to climb onto another balcony, climbing or sitting on a rail itself - possibly under the influence of alcohol;
3. Someone is attacking you and pushes or throws you over.
Other than that, it would take just the right extremely random circumstances to coincide to cause someone to go overboard.

There are sensors that detect objects that go overboard.

It's honestly not something that ever crossed my mind. Mainly because "falling" overboard on a cruise ship not generally how people go overboard.

If you go overboard on a cruise ship, it's usually for one of 3 reasons:
1. You intentionally jump;
2. You are doing something stupid like standing on something AT the rail (leaning way over or not), being an idiot and trying to climb onto another balcony, climbing or sitting on a rail itself - possibly under the influence of alcohol;
3. Someone is attacking you and pushes or throws you over.
Other than that, it would take just the right extremely random circumstances to coincide to cause someone to go overboard.

Thanks! Good to know about the sensors, didn't know that.
I'll call Disney to see if I can upgrade. I don't think I will piss off someone that much on a 4-night that someone would want to throw me overboard ;-)

GTY reservations are non-changeable. However, I've also read, as long as you want to upgrade and pay Disney more money, that doesn't really matter. I am in doubt, about upgrading from Oceanview to a Veranda. Some money came in making it affordable and it sounds so lovely when you wake up, open the doors, fresh sea air coming in...

Did you book GTY with a specific number/letter designation? Like 9A GTY? That is a regular fare and is changeable/upgradeable if so desired.

If you booked an OGT rate that simply guarantees you any oceanview stateroom, those can't be changed. It's a discounted fare, usually within just a few weeks of the cruise.

We don't spend much time in the stateroom, so I don't feel that a verandah is necessary. We prefer to be out enjoying the ship.

Enjoy your cruise!

This must be a change. Every time we went to the movie, there were always at least 2 or 3 Adventures by Disney commercials shown. One cruise we saw 9 movies and every time the same 3 Adventures by Disney commercials.

That was our experience on the Magic in April. But I don't remember which theater.

Thanks! Good to know about the sensors, didn't know that.
I'll call Disney to see if I can upgrade. I don't think I will piss off someone that much on a 4-night that someone would want to throw me overboard ;-)
So you must be single then! :)

Time for a new question, in the Facebook group there are different opinions on which things to bring with you in print. The last topic I can find on Disboards on this topic is from 2017.
Some say only Port Arrival form is necessary, others also say the contract. And according to the topic here, the Port Arrival form isn't necessary either, but could speed up things.

Any insight in what's necessary in 2019? :)

Time for a new question, in the Facebook group there are different opinions on which things to bring with you in print. The last topic I can find on Disboards on this topic is from 2017.
Some say only Port Arrival form is necessary, others also say the contract. And according to the topic here, the Port Arrival form isn't necessary either, but could speed up things.

Any insight in what's necessary in 2019? :)

The only thing you really *NEED* to bring is your passport (or whatever citizenship identification is appropriate for your situation). You port arrival and check-in will be easier and faster if you bring luggage tags (affixed to your luggage) and your Port Arrival Form printed out from the online check-in. The last page displayed during online check-in allows you to print the Port Arrival Form and the instructions include the following:
DO NOT pack this Port Arrival Form or any other required travel documents in any luggage that must be checked in at the airport or with the Disney Cruise Line luggage service. Keep these important documents on your person at all times prior to boarding your ship.

DO: Check what documentation is required to travel. Proof of citizenship is required for every Guest in order to board the ship.
DO: Check the expiration date on passports and travel visas as some cruises require passports to be valid for six months after the end of the cruise.
DO: Arrive to the port at your selected Port Arrival Time to avoid unnecessary waiting.

Please select “Print Port Arrival Form” to print this form. Bring the hardcopy of this form to the cruise terminal with you for check-in. If you are unable to print this form, inform a Cast Member at the port when you arrive.

By "other required travel documents", they mean your passport. When you arrive at the port, you will be asked to fill out a health form, so it's also a good idea to have a pen accessible so that you can fill that out while you wait in line.

Check the expiration date on passports and travel visas as some cruises require passports to be valid for six months after the end of the cruise

Don't mean to hijack - but does anyone know why this is? I mean, what's the point of an expiration date if it's really 6 months before? :)

That was our experience on the Magic in April. But I don't remember which theater.

It´s the case on all cruises. You got to see commecials for future cruises, vacation club and Adventures by Disney. But all of these are pretty short. Not even sure if they are shown a few minutes before the movie is scheduled.

Don't mean to hijack - but does anyone know why this is? I mean, what's the point of an expiration date if it's really 6 months before? :)

My understanding is that the country wants your passport to be valid for the entire period of your entrance visa. Even if you don't have to apply for a visa, you are essentially granted one when you arrive in the country. They want to make sure that you aren't on their soil (legally) when your document expires.

In case you love a country so much you want to stay...or you miss the boat or get hospitalized, etc.

I agree, it seems so silly...I thought I paid to have my passport good for 10 yrs... not 9 yrs and 6 mths. The 6 mth validity rule is imposed by foreign countries.

Info from the official U.S passport website:

How long is a passport valid and is it true that it needs to have at least 6 months of validity remaining?
If you were age 16 or older when your passport was issued, your passport is valid for 10 years.

If you were under 16 when your passport was issued, your passport is valid for 5 years.

The Issue Date of your passport can be found on the data page of your Passport Book or on the front of your Passport Card.

Some countries require that your passport be valid at least six months beyond the dates of your trip. Some airlines will not allow you to board if this requirement is not met. Consider the following scenario: A country requires that you have at least six months of validity on your passport. You currently have seven months of validity on your passport. However, your trip is two months from now. At that point, you will only have five months of validity remaining on your passport which is not enough to satisfy that country's entry requirements. In this situation, you would need to renew your passport before you can make your trip.

Country Information to learn about entry and exit requirements for the country or countries in which you are traveling.

Some airlines will not allow you to board if this requirement is not met.
I hope for the airlines, all check in/gate agents adhere to this rule. As, when an airline let's a passenger board who doesn't have all papers to travel to this country (and it cannot be arranged upon arrival), the airline will be fined by the government of the country and the passenger should be put on the first flight back.

I think the US had this rule also for a long time for foreign tourists. I remember a vacation to New York in the early 2000s where I had to extend my passport because it wasn't valid for 6 months till after my trip.

@adamki, thank you for your help! PAT Form printed and in my carry-on luggage :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter