10 Delicious Days of Deluxe Dining..Day5-Yachtmans Steakhouse-was it worth 2 credits?

Awww, what a shame 50s PT wasn't everything you expected. Those Smores photos stil make me drool though!
Yeah, the S'mores always look fabulous!!

Aw I am so sorry your server wasnt into the fun and games...the first time we went they were totally into it, a few years later we did it again and our server was a snooze...we just ate there last month and our servers and the ones around us were over the top into the fun and we had a great time...

I agree about the smores, they were just eh, nothing special, not really that tasty either.

So whats up next?
It seems like the entertainment factor is kind of hit and miss here. We may have to try it again to sit of we get a better server.

Coming up next is our first signature dinner experience ever...would it live up to our expectations??

Another great review! We had an amazing server last summer (Cindy), my 2 nieces who were 4 and 8 were on their best behaviour, I really don't think they enjoyed the experience as they were too concerned about getting into trouble.:rotfl: She could sense this and only picked on the adults and my DD who was 16. My DD didn't eat her veggies so she brought them out to her in a bowl with whipped cream and a cherry on top:lmao: Jasmine was thrilled.;)
Sounds like you had a great time...

Oh no, that is a bummer that they weren't being playful at 50's Prime Time. Without that it's just a place with meh food. It seems like I've been reading that there are inconsistencies with the amount of sass and fun the waiters have lately.

Oh no, that is a bummer that they weren't being playful at 50's Prime Time. Without that it's just a place with meh food. It seems like I've been reading that there are inconsistencies with the amount of sass and fun the waiters have lately.

Yeah we've experienced both sides of 50's prime time. Fun and not so fun.

DSC02609.jpg

When we first started to plan this trip we had never even thought about purchasing the DxDDP, however after our cruise plans were canceled we decided to check out what we could do with the extra money. THere were lots of choices but the thing that ultimately swayed us to choose the DxDDP was the fact that you could choose any restaurant, including signatures, to eat at. Needless to say, I was pretty excited about checking out our first true signature dining experience at the Yachtman Steakhouse.

I had read many dining reviews on the Yachtman's Steakhouse and sort of knew what to expect, and what I was ordering for that matter, before we went there. Yachtman's Steakhouse is located at the Yacht Club at a beautiful little restaurant overlooking the pool area. When you walk in you are greeted by the open kitchen where you can see everything being prepared. You also can see the different cuts of meat that they use and alos a dessert tray which made us all really excited for the end of the meal.
DSC02610.jpg

DSC02626.jpg

The dessert table
DSC02618.jpg

DSC02619.jpg

DSC02620.jpg

DSC02621.jpg

DSC02623.jpg

DSC02624.jpg

The atmosphere at YS is nice, but nothing spectacular.
DSC02616.jpg

The restaurant is nice and quiet and it's a very authentic looking restaurant. The floors are all natural wood though which made are table really lopsided. The waitress and manager were kind enough to try to fix it by shoving napkins under the legs which did help a bit. The one unfortunate thing about the atmosphere here was the fact that the patrons could not understand the concept of a dress code. I mean , there were people here in bathing suits with cover ups on. It was terrible;e and really odd that people would even think about wearing that to a steakhouse. I would be terribly embarrassed but of course most of them, I'm sure, were blissfully unaware that they looked absolutely ridiculous. It's too bad they don't enforce the policy a little bit more.

The service here is what you would expect at any nice dinner. The waitress was very pleasant, she knew her menu well and she was quick to fulfill requests. She was also great at explaining the different cheeses and with picking a wine selection. Our ADR time was 725pm and we had to wait about 20 minutes for our table but that gave us some time to walk around the resort anyway. All of our orders came out correct and nice and hot for once. The meal was really spaced out. It took about 2 and a half hours in total but it was nice to have a slower pace after all of the rushed meals that we had been to.

The bread basket
DSC02614.jpg

DSC02613.jpg

The bread was really fresh and smelled fabulous,. We all liked the fact that fresh garlic came to spread on the bread but you only need a little tiny bit . It's really strong. Of course Mulan got bored and ended up making this bread creature and making it dance on the table. You can dress them up but...
DSC02617.jpg

Mulan

Drink Diet Coke and a virgin Pina Colada. Mulan thought the Pina Colada was good and the waitress including it as her non alcoholic beverage so it counted on the meal plan

Appetizer Caesar Salad
"Crisp Romaine Lettuce, aged Parmesan and Ciabatta crouton"
$9.00
DSC02630.jpg

Mulan thought the salad was rather pricey for what you got. She did not like the fact that the crouton was just a hunk of bread sitting on her lettuce. The way she put it was "the more you pay the less they try"

Entree Cowboy Steak
"20 oz bone in rib eye with fried onion and red wine butter"
$47.00
DSC02633.jpg

Mulan found that the steak was really fatty but the parts that were meaty were really good. She asked for the red wine butter sauce on the side but she ended up really liking the taste of it. It must bot have tasted like wine at all if she liked it. She substituted her fried onions (onion rings) for fries and they were the best part of the meal for her. They were really good with making substitutions in most of our meals.

Dessert Mango Cheesecake (Sugar free)
$8.00
DSC02637.jpg

Mulan thought that this was a terrible cheesecake. In fact, she said that it did not even taste like cheesecake at all. Perhaps it has something to do with being sugar free but she also said it tasted like it was frozen in the middle. She also thought that the raspberry mousse that it came with was very sour.
Mulan's celebration dessert
DSC02635.jpg

DSC02636.jpg

Rating
**1/2 out of 5

Donald

Drink
Diet Coke

Appetizer Caesar Salad
Donald pretty much agreed with what Mulan said. He was underwhelmed.

Entree Cowboy Steak
Donald thought this was really fatty and it looked to be quite fatty from across the table. He enjoyed the fried but thought that the small amount of meat that was on the steak was not worth the price that they charged for
it.

Dessert Banana Napolean
$9.00
DSC02640.jpg

Donald really liked hits. It was definitely the most impressive looking dessert on the dessert table. It looked huge but he actually found it to be a good portion and really light.

Rating

**1/2 out of 5

Tink

Drink Diet Coke

Appetizer Caesar Salad
Tink described this as " a hunk of lettuce thrown on a plate" Not worth the price at all.

Entree Cowboy Steak
Tink also found the steak way6 too fatty but she loved the mashed potatoes which she was able to substitute for. They were really creamy and tasty.

Dessert Creme Brulee
"Served with fresh berries and rolled chocolate"
$8.00
DSC02638.jpg

She said that the creme brulee was okay. It was good but not the best that we had had during the trip. I think that it was the prettiest looking though.

Rating
***/5

Mickey

Drink Raspberry Light Lemonade

Appetizer Farmer's Salad
"Mixed Greens, pickled yellow beets, Pistachio crusted goat cheese, and blackberry vinaigrette"
$10.00
DSC02631.jpg

Doesn't this salad sound fabulous?
Yeah, well he had it plain.
Not just plain like no dressing, but completely plain. No beets, no goat cheese. Just a hunk of lettuce. He liked it and liked the fact that it was made the way that he requested it.

Entree Cowboy Steak
He thought the steak was just average.,. His was not quite as fatty as everyone else's steaks. He still did not think that it was anything great though.

Dessert Creme Brulee
Mickey thought that this was really good. Perfectly browned , creamy and really tasty.

Rating
*1/2 out of 5

Stitch

Drink Raspberry Light Lemonade

Appetizer Seared Maine Diver Scallops
"with diamond white cheddar risotto and aged sherry vinaigrette"
$14.00
DSC02628.jpg

Stitch thought these were really good. The portion size was really good for an appetizer and they were very well prepared. The presentation was also really nice.

Entree Cowboy Steak
Stitch was the one exception for the review of the cowboy steak. He thought that his was a good cut of meat with hardly any gristle. It was a great portion size and the fires were crispy and tasty. Not soggy at all.

Dessert Sorbet Trio
$7.00
DSC02639.jpg

The lemon ginger sorbet was good but quite overpowering. It was a different taste though and a nice change. The mango & strawberry flavors were good too but were just your basic sorbet. If you want something light and a little but different than the Sorbet is the right choice.

Rating
***1/2 out of 5

Morgy827

Drink Diet Coke and a glass of wine (shiraz- which, now that I'm looking at my receipt, she forgot to charge me for)

Appetizer Assortment of Artisinal Cheeses
"accompanied with toasted multi-grain baguette"
$14.00
DSC02627.jpg

This was different. The cheeses were really good if you like a strong cheese taste. The sauces and jellies that came on the side were tasty too but a little strange for my tastes. I had wished that it would have come with a description of the cheeses and what they were accompanied with but I asked the waitress and she was very knowledgeable. I noticed later that the description was actually on the dessert menu which was unfortunate. It would have been nice to have during my appetizer.

Entree Yachtsman Filet Mignon
"8 oz filet with mashed potatoes and red wine sauce"
$39.00
DSC02632.jpg

I knew coming into this meal that the filet was the thing to get here. I also told everyone else how fabulous it was reported to be. I encouraged them all to get it but they chose the cowboy steak, against my advice instead, because it was more expensive and you get a bigger portion. Obviously price and size are not everything because I definitely had the best entree out of everyone. The filet was perfectly prepared and very tender and juicy. It melted in your mouth! Not enough can be said about ordering the best cut of meat available. The mashed potatoes were amazing and full of flavor.

Dessert Banana Napoleon

I was initially going to get the Creme Brulee but this dessert looked so different that I had to try it. The dessert table at the entrance definitely swayed my decision. It was a little bit difficult to eay but once you figured it out it sure was tasty. The best part of the whole meal was the little cake on the side. I think it may have been a cheesecake but that made it worth getting the dessert alone!

Rating
****1/2 out of 5

Overall Rating

2.9 out of 5

Cost
12 DP credits

Actual Cost
$434.56

Gratuity
$73.44

Would we Return
This is greatly varied across the group. Stitch and I would definitely return but I think that we chose food based on what appealed to us rather than trying to get our money's worth at a signature restaurant. The Filet was amazing and we would like to return to try some of the other desserts that are on display. The rest of the group did not enjoy themselves at all. I think that they were expecting more for the prices that they paid. I think that it's important to choose wisely from this many. I'm not sure that I would return here with the dining plan though. I did not think that it was worth the 2 credits per person. Even though the prices were high the overall quality of food was not great for the majority of us.

Snacks were minimal today as we ate a lot of food. We had to frozen raspberry slushies ($6.99), a half pint of milk ($1.47), and a large iced tea, a large lemonade and bottled water ($7.81)

Total cost for DxDDP for 6 adults/ day: $431.94

Total OOP gratuity: $129.93

Total cost of meals & snacks: $785.12

Total price difference between cost of dining plan and actual costs:
-$223.25 for us

Sorry your group had such and uneven night at Yachtman's Steakhouse. Seems like you did the right thing, ordering what you would get anyways. My parents are the "get your $s worth" type people, and they have been burnt by this before. Your dessert looks amazing too.:lovestruc Sweet yummy bananas!

Good for you for getting what you knew you would like and not just trying to get your money's worth! My family does that all the time when we're out and it's so frustrating for me because they are rarely satisfied :confused3 and I can't help but think "I told you so" :snooty:

A ribeye steak is always going to be a fatty cut and the "cowboy" cut of it just means it has the long bone sticking out of it (kind of like a lollypop). Well, it's a more difficult cut of meat to butcher than a filet and much larger so it's always going to be more expensive but if you like your meat lean you're not going to like it. That being said, it has more flavor beef than a filet because of the large amounts of fat in it.

Thanks for the update...Yatchman's Steakhouse is a place I wanted to try but my husband doesn't...He is not a red meat person and tells me that there are other restuarants that he prefers to try and this one he would rather not. So thank you for your family honest opinion and I'm not going to try to convience my husband to go here.

Sorry to hear about YS. :confused3It's not one of the ones I've been thinking of going to but your review was very good, great pictures!

I'm with you about steak-the only steak I order out is filet-in fact when we make steak at home, it's also filet. I don't like a steak I have to chew! ;)Rare for me please! :goodvibes

Keep up the good work.

I love your reviews but YS was funny. I was annoyed as I kept scrolling down thinking "Didn't anyone order something other than the dang cowboy cut!" :rotfl: I do agree with PP who said it's expected to be a fattier piece of meat. :confused3 The filet looks wonderful! And excellent point about not ordering just to "get your money's worth!" You do great reviews!

Wow, very interesting review of Yachtsman. It has been probably 10 years since I have eaten there and what did I order? ....... the filet.

I'm glad that you ordered something different than everyone else, because I was reading and everyone was getting the same entree (and not really liking it) I was hoping that I would find someone who struck out on their own and ordered something different.

Sorry your group had such and uneven night at Yachtman's Steakhouse. Seems like you did the right thing, ordering what you would get anyways. My parents are the "get your $s worth" type people, and they have been burnt by this before. Your dessert looks amazing too.:lovestruc Sweet yummy bananas!
That's supposed to be the nice thing about the dining plan...not having to look at the prices. It's unfortunate that they did that. I think everyone learnt their lesson for the rest of the trip though.

Good for you for getting what you knew you would like and not just trying to get your money's worth! My family does that all the time when we're out and it's so frustrating for me because they are rarely satisfied :confused3 and I can't help but think "I told you so" :snooty:

A ribeye steak is always going to be a fatty cut and the "cowboy" cut of it just means it has the long bone sticking out of it (kind of like a lollypop). Well, it's a more difficult cut of meat to butcher than a filet and much larger so it's always going to be more expensive but if you like your meat lean you're not going to like it. That being said, it has more flavor beef than a filet because of the large amounts of fat in it.
I'm having a hard time with not saying "I told you so"...actually I think maybe I did say it a couple of times :)

Thanks for the update...Yatchman's Steakhouse is a place I wanted to try but my husband doesn't...He is not a red meat person and tells me that there are other restuarants that he prefers to try and this one he would rather not. So thank you for your family honest opinion and I'm not going to try to convience my husband to go here.
No problem...I think it's best to stay away from YS if you are not a red meat.
fan. THere are other great WDW restaurants out there for your DH.

Sorry to hear about YS. :confused3It's not one of the ones I've been thinking of going to but your review was very good, great pictures!

I'm with you about steak-the only steak I order out is filet-in fact when we make steak at home, it's also filet. I don't like a steak I have to chew! ;)Rare for me please! :goodvibes

Keep up the good work.
I always order a filet...actually I never even liked steak until I tried the filet.

I love your reviews but YS was funny. I was annoyed as I kept scrolling down thinking "Didn't anyone order something other than the dang cowboy cut!" :rotfl: I do agree with PP who said it's expected to be a fattier piece of meat. :confused3 The filet looks wonderful! And excellent point about not ordering just to "get your money's worth!" You do great reviews!
I know...while I was writing it I sort of forgot that everyone had the same thing. THere were a few different appy's though so at least we varied a bot on that.

Wow, very interesting review of Yachtsman. It has been probably 10 years since I have eaten there and what did I order? ....... the filet.

I'm glad that you ordered something different than everyone else, because I was reading and everyone was getting the same entree (and not really liking it) I was hoping that I would find someone who struck out on their own and ordered something different.
Yeah, I;m glad I did my own thing.

Thank you for another great review:cool1:

I was at my sisters yesterday and I added your report to her list of subscriptions:thumbsup2 They are going to the Yachtsman the night before Jasmine and I arrive, so I told her to order the filet!!!!! I told her she would love your rating system ~!!!

Thank you for another great review:cool1:

I was at my sisters yesterday and I added your report to her list of subscriptions:thumbsup2 They are going to the Yachtsman the night before Jasmine and I arrive, so I told her to order the filet!!!!! I told her she would love your rating system ~!!!

Thanks!!...hope your sister enjoys it.

COming up next Donald's Safari Breakfast at Tusker House

2.5 hours??????

We have ADR for our anniversary for the Yachtsman, but we are taking our two children, ages 7 & 1. If the food isn't that great, way over priced, and it takes 2 hours to eat maybe we should rethink this ADR:confused3

I'm sure my DD would rather get a character breakfast than sit for 2 hours at a dinner that she doesn't like:eek:

MORGY!! WHERE ARE YOU??????

Needing my fix, needing my fix, needing my fix.....

Hope everythings ok on your end morgy. :flower3: Miss your blog and hope you start up again soon.

Another Dis'er missing you Morgy. Hope all is well with you and Stitch.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter