$10,606

Now that makes you feel good about your purchase!

My DH & I have priced out some of our trips & it shocks us!

Love DVC!

I always look at the cash price after I book a DVC trip just to see how crazy the cash prices are. We booked a GV at BLT once for 5 nights on points and I think the cash price was like 13k or something crazy like that. It reminds me that we would never take the big family trips to Disney if we were paying cash and make me appreciate my DVC membership,

Yes DVC can save you some money on your room but we still need to pay for travel, food, admission tickets and dues.

Just finished our dues cost projection and if we keep our contracts to their end date, at a 4% yearly dues increase we will be paying over $800,000.

:earsboy: Bill

Could never afford these rooms without DVC. I currently work for Mickey Adventures and I see what my clients pay for their rooms

I think I priced out our 2 bedroom WLV for 5 nights at 7k and we have two of them booked!... depending upon how you look at it our two trips this year paid for the initial buy in.. three years of points. If you count Mfs, I have 1-2 more years to go but since I have been a member for only 9 months, not too shabby.

Of course, once assumes travel, food, tickets would be paid anyway. :)

True, but for others reading, DVC tends to lock you into yearly Disney vacations which can be expensive even with the DVC room cost savings. I know that we spend more now as owners compared to our pre-ownership Disney vacations.

True, but for others reading, DVC tends to lock you into yearly Disney vacations which can be expensive even with the DVC room cost savings. I know that we spend more now as owners compared to our pre-ownership Disney vacations.

That's true, but DVC resorts/villas sure make those yearly vacations a lot more tolerable. We'd still be doing moderates if it wasn't for DVC. I'd say my maint fees are close to what I was paying for the moderates, but now I get an awesome two bedroom villa complete with giraffes, or a sand bottom pool, or monorail etc etc. :cool2:

Talked with DH about that -- as you frequently make this point. We use our DVC for long vacations, and it forces hubby to take a vacation. DD,16, and I take trips without him (as I have way more vacation than he does). We go to NYC, DC, and we'll be to Chicago to see Hamilton in Feb. The point being -- DVC is an informed choice that works for us now -- as I suspect it does for other owners/members as well. When DD is in university we have the option for couples trips or renting points for other vacations. Vacations cost -- geography is relative.

We've been DVC members since 2009. I haven't looked at room rates since that. Just for giggles I priced out our 2 BR Savanna view room at Kidani Village for one week in December (10th - 17th)
$10,606
I know nobody pays rack rates but DANG!

You did a good thing, for one year. Now do this again, EVERY time you use your DVC. But include real discounts, as published, as TRUE rack rate. "Rack" is a myth - YOU want "Market Rate". It tells you JUST how much DVCis actually worth during a given time period.

All personal opinion and suggestion.... I'm not right, you aren't wrong....

Establish an EXCEL spreadsheet. From Day 1, DVC members are in the hole based on initial up front money, close to the tune of$20000.
Now track this: you WIN every time your ACTUAL room cost is lower than the BEST DISCOUNTED (real) room cost. "Rack" is a myth.
Repeat. When your up front cash+dues-best discounted room cost hits ZERO? You have pretty much broken even.

Now - for the time value of money folks.... Seriously? Since 2005, the time value of money has been pathetic. Yes, you bought Amazon at $1.20 - I congratulate you. I calculate TVOM at the best current FDIC insured interest rate - about 1% per year. That would be guaranteed interest, as opposed to "lets go to Reno".

Again, all personal opinion. I'm not right, you aren't wrong.

Our personal situation, and results:

1) $28K initial CASH investment in 2013.
2) two trips per year to HOME resort. 2013 to present.
3) Break even point using DISCOUNTED room rates : APX November 2018.
4) Investment break even period: APX 5 years.

APX is "approximate". It HAS to be this, as I must include room DISCOUNTS for time in the future. "RACK" is a myth... "MARKET VALUE" is real.

Again, All personal opinion and suggestion.... I'm not right, you aren't wrong....

DVC tends to lock you into yearly Disney vacations
. For those that do not want the expensive Disney vacations there are other options of doing a Disney trip every other year, resort only trip with orlando sight seeing, trip with fewer park days, hilton head or vero - there really are so many options that allow for more affordable "disney" trips. We are new member and are already excited about the more relaxed disney trips to be able to explore and experience the resorts and what ever else orlando has to offer instead of being the 7 day park commandos. Disney is a vacation and I don't think any one takes a vacation and expects it to be inexpensive. We have a short summer trip to cape cod, MA and with hotel room and meals and a few side trips i am sure it will be $2K. You buy into DVC to promote and encourage family or couples vacations - we love WDW and we love the though in knowing we don't have to have an exhausting trip. We like the thought of being locked into WDW every other year. It is in how you purchase your points too - we knew we could easily get burned out going every year so we purchased points to afford going every other year. On off years we have time to explore other areas of the country. We have figured w/ our next trip to a 2BR AKV savanna view (at over 7K) that will eat up a good portion of our initial buy in - by year 5 (or so) we will have broken even so that the MF will essentially cost us less than staying in a moderate. We love staying in

Last edited:
We pay that regularly and without hesitation. I think our upcoming stay in September was $13,060. For the size rooms we need and how often we go to WDW, DVC has never made sense for us. We would be paying to go to WDW less. I've looked into it a few times but it just isn't our thing. We do like to book the villas on cash though because even many of the suites aren't big enough for us.

You did a good thing, for one year. Now do this again, EVERY time you use your DVC. But include real discounts, as published, as TRUE rack rate. "Rack" is a myth - YOU want "Market Rate". It tells you JUST how much DVCis actually worth during a given time period.

All personal opinion and suggestion.... I'm not right, you aren't wrong....

Establish an EXCEL spreadsheet. From Day 1, DVC members are in the hole based on initial up front money, close to the tune of$20000.
Now track this: you WIN every time your ACTUAL room cost is lower than the BEST DISCOUNTED (real) room cost. "Rack" is a myth.
Repeat. When your up front cash+dues-best discounted room cost hits ZERO? You have pretty much broken even.

Now - for the time value of money folks.... Seriously? Since 2005, the time value of money has been pathetic. Yes, you bought Amazon at $1.20 - I congratulate you. I calculate TVOM at the best current FDIC insured interest rate - about 1% per year. That would be guaranteed interest, as opposed to "lets go to Reno".

Again, all personal opinion. I'm not right, you aren't wrong.

Our personal situation, and results:

1) $28K initial CASH investment in 2013.
2) two trips per year to HOME resort. 2013 to present.
3) Break even point using DISCOUNTED room rates : APX November 2018.
4) Investment break even period: APX 5 years.

APX is "approximate". It HAS to be this, as I must include room DISCOUNTS for time in the future. "RACK" is a myth... "MARKET VALUE" is real.

Again, All personal opinion and suggestion.... I'm not right, you aren't wrong....

But then you have to calculate using discounted room rates vs. what you would pay just renting the points from someone else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter