1 Day...what to do?!

DnA2010

Rope Drop!
So we will have 1 full day pre-cruise (fly in 2 nights ahead) - I know this is a big question but, what would you do with 1 day- I'm prepared to pay for 1 day park tickets...
We are from the west coast, been to DLR lots, but limited experience at WDW- my DH and I have visited each of the parks once (MK a couple of times) but not for like 10 years...our party includes DH, DD7 turning 8, DD20.

Options:
-Resort day (AKL DVC) and then maybe try to check out the drone show at DTD
-Resort time and then MNSSHP
-Pick 1 park to go to - would think AK is the most different from DLR, well Epcot is also, but I don't think the younger daughter would be as interested in the countries yet...

Thoughts?!

Last edited:
Personally, since Guardians of the Galaxy is my favorite ride, I would do Epcot. MNSSHP works too.

Really depends on what day of the week (month of year) your "free" day is and how early you have to leave for the cruise.

We are from the west coast, been to DLR lots, but limited experience at WDW- my DH and I have visited each of the parks once (MK a couple of times) but not for like 10 years...our party includes DH, DD7 turning 8, DD20.

I'd probably get a 1 day park hopper and figure it out as you go that day, with those DD ages the group could even split up based on interests.

Really depends on what day of the week (month of year) your "free" day is and how early you have to leave for the cruise.

I'd probably get a 1 day park hopper and figure it out as you go that day, with those DD ages the group could even split up based on interests.

It's Sept, the day is a Friday.
I don't think I'd do a hopper to be honest, as I don't want to be waiting around for buses and such, and given this is a family trip, I'd like us all to stick together :)

Gotcha, AKL bus to ?.
Maybe MK, monorail to Epcot, skyliner to HS.
Any park bus hub will allow you to catch one to DS too.
I think I'm just so used to being able to walk across the plaza between DCA and DLR, the idea of waiting around for buses, lines for monorail/skyliner seems like a waste of time, but will for sure think about it. My experience at WDW has only been 1 park a day, so not knowledgeable on the transportation there

We did Epcot for a one day pre-cruise park day but AK would work for that too.

I see the appeal of the halloween party, but I think it would be tough to get up the next morning to make sure everything is ready for the luggage to be transferred. If you were staying your own time zone, maybe it would be ok, but having a late night followed by an early morning (that will feel 3 hours earlier for you) might not be the best plan.

I'd probably avoid resort time, as the cruise is a floating resort, essentially.

I think I would opt for MNSSHP. Since you are coming from the west coast, you may experience som jet lag and AK typically closes early. If a one day ticket is cheaper than MNSSHP, I would consider checking the parks calendar to see which park is open latest or offers any extra hours for deluxe guests. I would want to maximize ticket cost as much as possible. While some attractions are similar to DL’s, every park will still have something unique to offer.

Personally I would recommend either AK or Epcot as they are most different from DL. My DD is 15 but Epcot has been her favourite park since she was a young child. It has much to offer the entire family! My only hesitancy about Epcot on a Friday in September is that it will be Food and Wine Festival so it will be quite busy in the evening. That being said, you can get a lot done during the day and still enjoy it in the evening too, there will just be more people.

While AK is a great park, my suggestion would be Epcot.

I would chose AK or Epcot, but, ultimately, I will give the nod to AK since that seems to be your inclination and since you are staying at AKL. The theming is amazing and there is enough to keep you busy all day between rides and shows/experiences and exploring the animal trails. I'm assuming you are a family of animal-lovers.

As has been mentioned by others, AK does close earliest of the parks, but it's kind of nice to have some free time. Depending how you are feeling, you could use that evening time to have a nice dinner at AKL and enjoy the activities at the resort. Or you could have a light quick service dinner and then enjoy some pool time (those hot humid September nights are perfect for swimming). Or, if you are feeling energetic and antsy, you could head over to Disney Springs for that drone show you mentioned along with dinner and shopping. The nice thing is that for most of these free time activities you don't really have to decide until the day of (well... maybe it would be taking a bit of a chance not making a dinner reservation at AKL until last minute but September should be less busy - just be a bit flexible if you are waiting until the last minute.)

Easy pick for me: AKL/Kidani resort stay. There is no other resort like it and the theming/food is excellent. The pool at Kidani is wonderful. Then I'd bus is to DS for an evening dessert.

I just went to Epcot for the first time (grew up on west coast) and took my 4yo and 2yo. We loved it. Also went to AK for the first time and loved it less than I thought but I think mostly because it was so hot. There's a lot of rides for littles at Epcot plus just so much stuff to look at and activity stations. Loved frozen ride and turtle talk and the aquarium and seeing the different countries (which I thought I would find I don't know gimmicky or weird but I just loved it) and the different snacks and my favorite restaurant of the trip was garden grill plus my 4yo favorite restaurant was arkersus princess breakfast

Since you are paying a premium to stay at AKL, I would embrace the experience and have coffee on your balcony in the morning and relax while watching animals- how often can a person really ever do that?!!?

Then I’d have some pool time and quick service lunch at the Mara.

Explore what all the resort has to offer including Jambo house if you are at Kidani. There are lots of things to look at and activities to do.

Then a nice dinner at Boma, Sanaa or Jiko.
Maybe a cocktail in Victoria Falls Lounge before dinner.

Enjoy the beautiful resort and explore!

If doing a park though, I would say stay at AK. Again, embrace the AK vibe.
Have lunch at Yak & Yeti then a late dinner at one of the AKL restaurants after park close.

DL doesn’t have Pandora and Flight of Passage/Navi River Journey, Expedition Everest or Kilimanjaro Safari.
Or the Festival of the Lion King show- it’s SO GOOD! So I’d say do AK if you are doing a park.

I vote for a day at Epcot.

It will most likely be incredibly hot outside. Epcot offers many indoor attractions. Even in the countries you can go in a building (for an attraction or store) to escape some heat.

Epcot has a variety of attractions from thrilling (Guardians) to relaxing (Living with the Land). It's not like anything in CA.

The Food & Wine Festival is fun too. You can try a variety of foods/drinks. DH and I like to split everything so we get to try even more stuff! Hit it when it opens at 11am for shorter lines.

My kids have always loved Epcot, even when they were little. There really is so much to see and do there.

I'd spend the day at the resort. If you're paying all that money to stay there, use the amenities for sure! After that I would do the Halloween party, something your kids would have a lot of fun with.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter