“Service Dog” mistreatment at Kidani Villas

Are you training a dog for someone else ? just curios how it’s done, how long,etc. I can’t get my grandkids to sit for five mins, how does one teach a dog to open a door or pick up something.
It takes a lot of work and patience. Like teaching a kid to read. Baby steps. if you watch your dog do something naturally like pick up your sock. You can shape that behavior into picking up your sock and bringing it to you ( usually by positive reinforcement ie treats) gradually moving to other items. Key don’t yell at them for doing a behavior that you can shape into something that you can use. My Husband ‘s Dobie braces himself in a stand so if you fall you can use him to brace yourself to stand back up. One day my husband was going into a store and a man fell . Thor stood next to him and my husband told Thor to stand and told the man to use him to get up. Man was shocked and amazed that Thor knew the man needed him. behavior began with treating him to stand.

It takes a lot of work and patience. Like teaching a kid to read. Baby steps. if you watch your dog do something naturally like pick up your sock. You can shape that behavior into picking up your sock and bringing it to you ( usually by positive reinforcement ie treats) gradually moving to other items. Key don’t yell at them for doing a behavior that you can shape into something that you can use. My Husband ‘s Dobie braces himself in a stand so if you fall you can use him to brace yourself to stand back up. One day my husband was going into a store and a man fell . Thor stood next to him and my husband told Thor to stand and told the man to use him to get up. Man was shocked and amazed that Thor knew the man needed him. behavior began with treating him to stand.
I think the term wow fits that story.

That's an incredible story and really shows how properly trained service dogs can benefit people.

Also I love that your husband's dog's name is Thor!

Sounds like Disney needs to consult Kimpton hotels. We sometimes bring our Labrador and crate her. No crying. No barking. No issues. She is a very good dog, just a family pet, not a service dog. Kimpton allows us to leave her. However, if she did bark, they would call us and we would have to return immediately. Disney seems like they don’t have a policy. Sorry you had to go through that OP, that is just ridiculous.

Sounds like Disney needs to consult Kimpton hotels. We sometimes bring our Labrador and crate her. No crying. No barking. No issues. She is a very good dog, just a family pet, not a service dog. Kimpton allows us to leave her. However, if she did bark, they would call us and we would have to return immediately. Disney seems like they don’t have a policy. Sorry you had to go through that OP, that is just ridiculous.
Actually that is Disneys policy for petdogs, but never heard of pet dogs at animal Kingdom.
“The following 4 Disney Resort hotels have designated dog-friendly accommodations:

These rooms have easy access to outdoor walkways for exercise and to green spaces with pet relief areas. Upon arrival, dogs and their owners will be greeted with a complimentary Pluto’s Welcome Kit.

At this time, dogs are the only pets allowed, with a maximum of 2 permitted per Guest room. Dogs are expected to be well-behaved, leashed in public areas and properly vaccinated.

While certain floors or sections of these Disney Resort hotels are designated as dog-friendly, the majority of areas remain canine-free to protect Guests with allergies or other needs. Other than service animals, dogs are not permitted in theme parks, water parks or common areas such as restaurants, pools and recreational spaces.”

When you are traveling with a pet or a service dog the only time a guest is allowed to take the pet out of the hotel room is if there is housekeeping and the maids have to service the room. But they cannot be in the room while the maids or any other hotel staff is in the room. I think what you should do is email Disney Resorts and tell them your experience or try calling Animal Kingdom Lodge and ask for the manager and ask for the manager's name so when you write your email mention what the manager told you. I do know in hotels they do ask you to remove the pet so the housekeepers can service the room but Marriott Residence Inn allows you to keep an eye on your pet while maids service the rooms by asking for a special sign that indicates that a pet is in the room and the maids will work around your pet. It's possible that your neighbors in the villa next door probably put their dog while the villa was getting serviced by housekeeping and they forgot to put the dog inside the room after housekeeping serviced their villa
Good Luck and hope this advice helps you
Dodger

Just a note-I was at a conference last week where we had a presentation by a company that trains service dogs (VERY interesting). She said that their dogs are trained to never bark. I didn't get to ask her what they do if their "person" that they're serving needs help.

Just a note-I was at a conference last week where we had a presentation by a company that trains service dogs (VERY interesting). She said that their dogs are trained to never bark. I didn't get to ask her what they do if their "person" that they're serving needs help.
The dog will probably run to the first person that they see then run back to their person, that’s what our dog would do, when I would ask where “DADDY was?’ This was after brain operation when he would walk out front door in the winter in his PJ.

Which is perhaps more impressive than all the training they get to do things - training a dog not to bark is difficult.

Service animal licensing in the U.S. is non-existent, and that makes it broken. More broken with the ADA and a litigious society that makes it impossible for someone to question without risking a lawsuit. Airlines have started to take action. But honestly, we need good legislation that allows accredited trainers to license service dogs and doctors to prescribe them - don't have a current prescription and dog trained by an accredited trainer - it isn't a service dog - its a pet. It may be a very supportive pet, but it only gets to go places pets get to go.

My husband had a Doberman as his service dog due to a TBI. A well trained service dog is fully in work mode and not there to be a problem for your children, nor there to interact with your children. It’s not the breed that‘s ever the problem but it’s the training or really lack of.
I've seen well-trained service dogs at Disney, and then I've seen the obvious results of the joke of this issue in the US.

I find it unlikely anyone has an actual service dog who is a Rottweiler, and I am going to give that dog a very wide berth, anywhere. I yanked my kid to be nowhere near it. I don't like even having to deal with dogs like this at all at Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter