“Viva Mexico” - Suite life on the Wonder – A trip report (12/4 – 12/11 2011)

When you did Las Celatas were you given the option to do a sea lion encounter? I have read on other cruise line boards this was an option....Your trip report is excellent!

When you did Las Celatas were you given the option to do a sea lion encounter? I have read on other cruise line boards this was an option....Your trip report is excellent!

Even, I had heard about the sea lion encounter, but I am almost sure it didn't happen during our trip. It could be because the seas were rough that day or maybe they have done away with it altogether.

Thank you for this great TR. We are cruising in Feb. and are first time cruisers. I am feeling quite nervous about it, and your report has been fabulous.

One question. We are also planning on Las Caletas. In the description it implies that the kids adventure park is included. Do you have to pay extra for the kids to participate? What, exactly, is included with the cost of the excursion? We have six children (five of them very active boys), so we need to know what to plan on in terms of activities.

Thank you!

-Allison

Thank you for this great TR. We are cruising in Feb. and are first time cruisers. I am feeling quite nervous about it, and your report has been fabulous.

One question. We are also planning on Las Caletas. In the description it implies that the kids adventure park is included. Do you have to pay extra for the kids to participate? What, exactly, is included with the cost of the excursion? We have six children (five of them very active boys), so we need to know what to plan on in terms of activities.

Thank you!

-Allison

I not exactly sure of what all is included, but I believe the zip line , the clay pottery class and maybe even the kayak. I am not 100% sure though,as all we did was spend time on the beach. Before we knew it, it was lunch time :(

Day 7 - Day of indulgence for the Adults

The day started like every other day, coffee in the morning out in the balcony. We didn’t have a whole lot planned, we had decided to take it really easy today. We had our Palo bunch booked for 11:00 and so DW and I wasn’t looking forward for breakfast. Even as we were having our coffee we noticed how calm the sea was. The day turned out to be the best of the days in terms of sunshine and the sea.

We took the kids upstairs to the BBB for their breakfast, while we had more coffee there…sitting out in the open with the sun already up and about, we just didn’t feel like getting done with our breakfast. We had to though, eventually, we had to get ready for our brunch. In our room, we called up the kid’s club to check with them whether the kids would get lunch while they were there. Apparently all you need to do is let them know the kid’s would have their lunch there and about any allergies etc.

We dropped the kids in the club and headed upstairs to Palo. We were greeted by hristo who took us to our table that had a gorgeous view outside. Our brunch started off with a mimosa for DW and a champagne for myself.

MexicanRiviera29.jpg

Right in the middle of our brunch, as if in Cue, Hristo points outside and goes “Those dolphins want to say ‘hi’ to you guys”. Sure enough, a school of dolphins were having a darn good time just by the side of the ship. To think they chose right then to put up such a show, couldn’t have asked for a better timing. Again, we were so mesmerized by the show that we completely forgot our camera.

Brunch just as the dinner was exquisite and at the end of it all we had to roll out of palo. Seriously, Palo should really look into using one of those portal that transport you directly to your room, will save people a lot of pain. Ours was just one floor down, I am really sorry for those who had to do more levels post-palo experience.

On our way out, DW suggested we take a walk around to burn of the calories and eventually we saw ourselves in front of the Vista spa(Don’t ask how, just blame it on the brunch). Now, is a good time for a bit of a flash back. Our last cruise, DW wanted to get a massage appointment and kept trying from day 1. Finally she managed to get one for the last sea day. Having gotten one, she forced me too into it. I have never, yes never in my life, before have had a massage appointment. So without a clue as to what to expect, I booked for a hot stone massage. DW went for a massage/facial combo, something she felt she wasn’t too impressed about. She felt it was no different from the other massages she got and it cost more. I, on the other hand was in seventh heaven. It was so relaxing that I snoozed away in the middle of the massage.

With that experience in mind, we decided to get a couple’s hot stone massage this time. The only time that was available was the last appointment that day. We decided to go ahead and take it. With that we went back to the club to pick up the kids.

DD and DW decided to take a nap, while DS was still bubbling with energy. So I decided to take him over to the sports complex. We saw kids involved in dodge ball. DD instead wanted to play ping pong so that’s what we did for a good hour or so.

When we came back DW and DD were up. One of the things in DD’s to-do list was to spend time in the mickey pool. So DW decided to take DD to the mickey pool and I took DS to the goofy’s.

MexicanRiviera30.jpg

Back from the pools, I got busy filling up the customs forms and setting up the tips. Soon it was dinner time, our schedule was animator’s palate. On our way out, I sought Thomas to hand him his tips envelope. At the restaurant, I handed out the envelopes to the dinning team. The only envelope that was left was for the concierge. Immediately after dinner we had to go for our massage appointment, we had only just enough time to drop of the kids in the club and scurry over to the vista spa. We knew it would be pretty tight so we had taken care of the necessary paperwork in the morning while booking for the appointment. The massage didn’t disappoint. It was DW’s turn to snooze off. The only gripe I had was continuous banging of the balcony door in the villa as the ship gained speed for the night. Since it was the last appointment we were offered a facial along with this massage for half the price. DW took it and she stayed put while I went back to pick up the kids.

From the club, I decided to take the kids for the “Till we meet again” show. It was a bit late and the show had already started, but we decided to give it a try in any case. Just as the show was getting over, DW called us up and wanted to know where we were.

Back in the room, we put the kids to bed and got busy getting the suitcases packed. I called up the concierge team to check whether mike would come around so that I could hand over the tips envelope. I was told, mike had already taken the day off and I could leave the envelope with the customer service. By the time we got the suite cases packed and ready, we were really tired. We dropped the suite cases outside right at the last minute and climbed into our beds. I was contemplating ordering in the breakfast for the next morning, but DW wanted to go to the restaurant one last time.

Thus ended our blissful 7 days on the Wonder.

WOnderful trip report! Simple and easy to follow. We are headed out on our first MR cruise in April, and I was wondering where you found your info on costs for port upgrades? We are booked into an inside stateroom, but would be kind of fun to upgrade. It is just my DW and I this time (25th wedding anniversary trip) so don't really need tons of room, but trying concierge might be fun!

Any info you might on where I can research this would be appreciated

WOnderful trip report! Simple and easy to follow. We are headed out on our first MR cruise in April, and I was wondering where you found your info on costs for port upgrades? We are booked into an inside stateroom, but would be kind of fun to upgrade. It is just my DW and I this time (25th wedding anniversary trip) so don't really need tons of room, but trying concierge might be fun!

Any info you might on where I can research this would be appreciated

The only information on port upgrade we get is from people's report here. Remember though the upgrade cost varies from sailing to sailing depending on how busy it gets. I kept checking for availability of suites till the last day and compared it with the upgrade cost that people had paid. Actually I was hoping for a mid ship suite, my first choice but even though we were early there, we were not that lucky. At least I got my second choice :)

Hey, I had one more question about your port upgrade. I just got an e-mail from my TA and she said I would go to the upgrade desk after checking in, but you talked like you did your upgrade right when checking in... is ther a separate desk to go to for the MR cruise?

She may be thinking about Port Canaveral :)

Hey, I had one more question about your port upgrade. I just got an e-mail from my TA and she said I would go to the upgrade desk after checking in, but you talked like you did your upgrade right when checking in... is ther a separate desk to go to for the MR cruise?

She may be thinking about Port Canaveral :)

Oops, sorry somehow this got ignored. At San Pedro too, the upgrade desk is a separate desk and you get your check in done and then look at your upgrade options at a different desk.

Just got back from our MR cruise!!

We signed in, then asked about upgrade... she sent us to the lady right next to her. She had a list with all the calculations. We could have gone from 11C inside stateroom to a 9A large porthole for $700, 4A for verandah for $735... and I think a 1BR was around $1200 more. We went for the 4a; our very first verandah room!!

What a wonderful trip report. Makes me feel like I was back on the boat. We upgraded at port to a 1-bedroom as well. From a 4E to 1BR was $735. The best money we spent. We got one of the midship rooms. Loved that room! We spent alot of time in our room and we felt it was worth the spluge. I am jealous of seeing the dolphins. We didn't see any wildlife except pesky birds. (that seems to be a reoccuring theme, we have lived in Alaska for a year and have not seen wildlife either..) We will keep our eyes peeled for sea creatures when we are on the Dream at the end of the month. I am hoping for a pod of dolphins!

Came across your TR when you were showing another poster about your aft balcony suite. Wow! Amazing!!! We are very close to the San Pedro port and REALLY hope DCL comes back someday (especially since it's so close to Disneyland compared to San Diego). By the way, we are booked out of San Diego for next May and next October.

Loved how you display your photos like a montage! So beautiful!!! Hope to someday be in an aft verandah, let alone in a suite!!! What a score for you!

I also really loved the photo of your DD with Minnie at the end of the trip. She looked sincerely elated! So sweet!

Your children must be so big by now! Thanks again for sharing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter