• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Zyrtec-D available over the counter!

gardenhoe

Mouseketeer
Starting 1/24/08. I'm probably the last person to learn this, but I'm so happy. :cool1: The prescription was costing me $50 / month! Ouch!

I only found out because CVS has it on their front page ad. Now to find the cheapest place....and some coupons!!!!!!!!!!!

There has to be coupons!! I went to zyrtec's website & signed up for coupons. But I want some now.

Starting 1/24/08. I'm probably the last person to learn this, but I'm so happy. :cool1: The prescription was costing me $50 / month! Ouch!

I only found out because CVS has it on their front page ad. Now to find the cheapest place....and some coupons!!!!!!!!!!!

There has to be coupons!! I went to zyrtec's website & signed up for coupons. But I want some now.

You can print $2 coupons off their website. Just click on News and Offers at the bottom of the page. I printed two since both my girls use Zyrtec, but you can probably print as many as you want. They expire the end of June.

Great news! I take it twice/daily and I think I pay about $20 month so I'm not sure if it will be a savings for me though. I'll have to check prices.

I heard from my pharmacy that it was only going to be the Zyrtec, not the Zyrtec-D. I was also told that it would be comparable in price to the Claritin when it came out. I get such great results with the Zyrtec-D and it's only $20/month with my insurance that I don't think it's gonna be a good thing for me. I'll probably end up having to switch again like I did when the Claritin went OTC.

I was able to get one more 90 day refill for my dd of her zyrtec before our mailorder rx company cuts us off. We got 90 pills for $16 thru the mail order for the prescription zyrtec. When those run out, it looks like the going price is going to be $19 for 30 pills over the counter. :confused3 I hate when they make these meds OTC. It always costs us a lot of money.

The CVS ad showed only Zyrtec. But info I'm finding all over the web, including Zyrtec's own site says its both original & Zyrtec-D.
https://www.zyrtec.com/econsumer/zyrtec/index.view

I also read that the current maker of Zyrtec is stopping production; and Johnson & Johnson will now be making the over-the-counter version with no changes to the product.

I've started finding some info about a generic version of Zyrtec being made that might be available on Walmart $4 prescription list. THAT would be the cheapest way to go!!! Still looking into that. Don't know if its already happening or just possibly in the future. Anyone know?

This gardenhoe is going to be one happy chick this spring!! Woohoo!!

DOES ANYONE KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN Zyrtec-D AND Claritin-D. I WAS USING ALLEGRY-D IT DIDN'T WORK AS GOOD A CLARITIN-D.

ALLEREGIES SUCK

I was able to get one more 90 day refill for my dd of her zyrtec before our mailorder rx company cuts us off. We got 90 pills for $16 thru the mail order for the prescription zyrtec. When those run out, it looks like the going price is going to be $19 for 30 pills over the counter. :confused3 I hate when they make these meds OTC. It always costs us a lot of money.

I agree. DD's pediatrician warned us about this, so we got all our refills on 12/31. Her Dr. said she'd be prescribing a new drug for all of her Zyrtec patients- I think it's spelled XYZAL, but we haven't got a script yet.

I agree. DD's pediatrician warned us about this, so we got all our refills on 12/31. Her Dr. said she'd be prescribing a new drug for all of her Zyrtec patients- I think it's spelled XYZAL, but we haven't got a script yet.

XYZAL, see the link above your post & scroll thru to read all the replies.

Please keep this in mind and discuss with you PCP if you or someone in your family taking this med has a tendency towards depressive symptoms. When discussing allergy meds with my PCP he warned me to stay away from Zyrtec because of my SAD. He had had a patient who had taken Claritin but was hospitalized on med ward and they didn't have Claritin so they switched him to Zyrtec.....patient had suicidal symptoms and ended up on psych unit....they took him off zyrtec and things changed dramatically.

First I've heard of that. My doctor has me on anxiety/depression meds & zyrtec & never mentioned anything about the zyrtec being a concern.

Anywho. I was at CVS today to notify them of my change in insurance & to refill the anxiety meds. I was asking the pharmacist about the new OTC zyrtec & did they have zyrtec-D yet? She looked up my new insurance plan. I was paying $50 for 60 pills (1 month supply) on old plan. My new plan will only cost $16 for same 60 pills. So it will be cheaper now to stick with my script.

Woohoo!!! Not only am I paying less for insurance each pay period, but my meds are now costing me less. :cheer2:

Hmm, that's not good news for me, either. I can get 90 pills for $20 or maybe $30 through our mail order. It will probably cost a lot more OTC!! I did just get a refill so I'm set for a while.

Clarinex is still covered by RX and I found that works well for me (took some of DH's) so maybe I will get that instead.

Claritin for my kids OTC is so expensive.

First I've heard of that. My doctor has me on anxiety/depression meds & zyrtec & never mentioned anything about the zyrtec being a concern.
I have heard Zyrtec + Prozac can be a problem. It might also be an issue with other drugs that work the same way as prozac, which is not all of the antidepressants.

Zyrtec for many is a great drug as it covers more allergies than Claritin. (food, pets etc) For many, like us, our insurance refuses to Cover Zyrtec as there are cheaper drugs that according to them are comprible--this however is not true. Just cause it is an allergy med does not mean that it works the same for all people. So for many the OTC will be great. The cost will come down with time and there should be store brands availible with time too. I can buy Loratidine-generic Claritin at my hospital pharmacy for like $2 a box. It is a bummer though for folks who have had good insurance coverage for the medication.

I also take Zyrtec and am not happy about it becoming OTC. I was paying $30 for 90 pills......now it looks more like $20/month or more for the same product. Time to see my DR and get a new medication for allergies!

Yea! I am excited! It is $25 at Walmart for 45 pills! I pay $40 for 30 pills through my insurance. I also pay $40 for my youngest's as well. The kids OTC is like $10 at Walmart. We pay out of pocket for our Health Insurance and we are crushed by the prescriptions and premiums. Dh is Diabetic too so it really adds up.

Count me in the unhappy boat. I knew it was coming though.

I'll be switching to something new.

FOR THE UNHAPPY PEOPLE, GO BACK & READ POST #12 incase you missed my update. It turns out I don't need to buy OTC, I can still get it by script. So if script is cheaper for you than OTC, you might still be able to also.

Good luck.

Also, I noticed Walgreens sale flyer had a GENERIC product next to the Zyrtec ad advertised as "similar to zyrtec". Something like wal-zyr?

That stinks for me, I only pay $5 for 30 pills.

Even if it is still available by prescription I can guarantee that my inusrance company won't cover it if it's available OTC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter