Zurg's Halloween Act II: On the Road Yet Again.

Zurg

<font color=red>Eivl <font color=navy>Emperor<br><
(Zurg's site - BadShoe.com is experiencing technical difficulties. I'll link picture when it is back up)

Zurg here again.

At least I think I am here but where here is I have no idea.
<bgsound src="http://estraven.silverday.net/warren/sounds/twilite4.wav" loop="1">
We are driving into the heart of darkness or North Carolina, I can’t remember which. There may not be a difference.

The kids have been great. The laptop is playing DVDs non stop.

We make a practice of having presents to open when we cross state lines, mostly snacks but this trip we have added fresh DVDs. They are happy. How parents survived without some form of video to placate the offspring is a mystery to me.

We arrive at Pop Pop’s a little later than planned. The sniper was caught the day before we left. The residents of DC celebrated by all going for a drive and buying gas. The beltway was one big parking lot and slowed our progress but, all things considered, it was that just fine with the Emperor.

We had a great visit with Pop Pop and Mom Mom. All to soon it was back into the Zurg-mobile. We were still looking at the map. 80 miles West by North West back to I95 or travel in the hypotenuse. (Remember the hypotenuse from grade school math; never thought you would ever see the word again did you? Zurg’s dad tells an old joke about sons conceived on various animal hides where the punch line involves the hypotenuse. Something about the sum of the sons on the hippopotamus is equal to the sum of the sons on the other two hides. He was an engineer. They think this stuff is a riot.)

We decided to do the hypotenuse towards Myrtle Beach and Charleston . What can I say? Our judgment was impaired by the lack of sleep.

US 17. There is less on US 17 than on 70.

Clayton Homes is still well represented. It looks to us like they have more retail outlets in NC than anyplace else. (They have 64 company owned retailers and 66 Independent retailers in North Carolina.) Other than that the state economy appears to be golf courses, real big mini golf courses and paper mills.

We are hoping to hit I95 and make Savanna Georgia. At some point we think we have entered the Twilight Zone . If it wasn’t for the pungent, smelling salt effect, of the paper mills we may well have crossed over into that place of Shadows and Substance.

After questioning its existence (and for that matter our own) and a little punch drunk we reach I95 and sail toward Savanna. We see I95 for the beautiful thing it is.

On the road again
Goin' places that I've never been
Seein' things that I may never see again,
And I can't wait to get on the road again.

Maybe Willy means that after going places one has never been and seeing things one has never seen one can’t wait to get back on I95. Okay more than a little punch drunk. No. I still think Willy is nuts.

The hotel didn’t have sheets on the pullout bad for the boys. This isn’t a tragedy. We are back in the land of the living, doing 75 to 80 mph with traffic on I95. Orlando is in striking distance and we gain an hour of sleep with daylight savings time.

In the morning the Zurg-mobile responds with a new liveliness, like a horse that knows the barn is near. We breeze into Florida. The kids are into the movie and we hold the Florida State presents for I4. They love the Motorola Buzz Lightyear radios and play with them as we approach Mecca, err.. Orlando, (but you Disney fans know what I mean.)

bwv_small.jpg

Boardwalk!

Zurg's Halloween Act I: On the Road Again.
Zurg's Halloween Act II: On the Road Yet Again.
Zurg's Halloween Act III: Boardwalk!
Zurg's Halloween Act IV: MNSSHP - The Quest for Candy!
Zurg's Halloween Act V: Beers with SSB and other Adventures
Zurg's Halloween VI - Oliver Twist
Zurg's Halloween VII - A Box of Money?

Zurg's Halloween Act VIII: Almost Perfect
Zurg's Halloween Act IX: It Rains a Lot in the UK

together .......thanks so much for your rendition of on the road again.....

Zurg, love your reports. They bring a smile to my face!:D

We too just used the magic of laptop DVD's on an eleven hour trip to South Bend, IN with 2yo DD. I know we never would have made it in one day w/o the DVD! Lifesaver!

Gi

I'm having a lot of fun reading your reports :)

Zurg,

I just read the frist three installements of your report. Very entertaining! I love the picture to the entrance of the Boardwalk at the end of this post. As they say, a picture paints a thousand words and I can surely feel the relief and excitement you must have felt when you first pulled in. We are going back in 2004 and are staying in a 2 bedroom villa at the BW. Off to read the rest of your reports. Thanks for posting.

joedisney

Thanks Joe!

As we Evil Empeor's say, "a picture is worth a thousand lies"

Your trip report posts are still an inspiration.

You will love the two bedroom at BWV. If for no other reason than you get your own washer dryer and no more of the mystey underwear of your classic post. (folks if you haven't read Joe's stuff hunt it down!)

Down side for us is you will not have that as material to write about but I trust you will find something for a hook.

Zurg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter