Yup.....we really ARE going.......and SOON! - Matty's Wish Trip December 12-18, 2009

pacrosby

DIS Veteran
Hi to all!!

I already wrote a verrrry long detailed intro that for some reason would not post and sadly............. I'm too tired to do it again. Still, I wanted to at least get started so here's my very quick version.....

Just heard today from our MAW rep that Matty's wish trip was approved and tentative dates are 12/10-16th at GKTW. We're just waiting on the airline representative to confirm airline reservations. I CANNOT believe this still..........it's all been such a whirlwind (a story for another day). I actually didn't even get the ball rolling until early October so they really came through for us. An amazing organization!

Quick intro.....I'm Pamela, married to Stephen and living in central Massachusetts (originally both of us from the metro Boston area). We have 4children 9, 8, 6 and 4.............the 6 yr old being my Matty, the Wish recipient. Matty is living with Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome and has had 3open heart surgeries, one in utero surgery when I was 26 wks pregnant and a multitude of other procedures (r/t to cardiac/GI and endocrine systems). At present he is doing quite well without any outward appearances of ill health or plans for any surgeries/procedures in the near future but, as many of you also experience, we essentially live year to year and hope for the best enjoying every blessed minute we have with our most incredible little boy.

Matty's Wish was specifically to be a "gingerbread man in the Christmas parade at Disney World" but, alas, that was not to be LOL The rep said that the ""trip is the Wish and although other 'extras' are often arranged they cannot be arranged through them and are essentially up to me to figure out how I might get things done. I understand why they can't allow kids to be in the parades (a logistical nightmare....can you imagine???) but I was wondering if it might be possible for him to 'meet' the gingerbread men (they march in the MVMCP) before or after the parade and perhaps take a px of him with them. We are buying him a gingerbread man costume (yes, you read that right LOL) that he wants to wear at the parade....it's the gingerbread boy from Shrek....hilarious! Perhaps that will help influence some nice CM with a sense of humor???? Any thoughts from you veterans? He presented a 'Wish book' to the volunteers that came over on Wednesday and in it we had multiple px of these crazy gingerbread men all arranged in a collage. I'd love to find some way to make some form of that wish a reality

Well that's a real quick (and lousy) intro and my first question. I'm looking forward to participating in this site.

Thanx in advance for all the wonderful advice I am sure to receive.

Pamela

Hooray! Another wish tripper :) I'm so glad Matty is doing well, and I know exactly what you mean. We're waiting on dates, met our wish granters yesterday, and this will be our first time at WDW (not counting a couple trips I made as a kid). There's actually a thread for wish trippers
Wish Trippers Unite!
and I'm sure Maroo and some of the other folks could probably point you in the right direction on the parade portion of his wish! So cute that he wants to be a gingerbread man. On the first page of the wish trippers thread there's lots of good info to get you started, and a lot of us planning trips, and those that have been on trips, post there pretty frequently. Looking forward to following along!

Hi Amanda, thanx for the quick welcome.

Should I have posted the intro in another forum or does a moderator move things around as necessary? I did find the Wish Trippers Unite forum (is that the right word?) but didn't see anything other than a general thread (which I posted on when I was having trouble posting here). I saw links to threads of folks going on Wish trips (pre and post-trip) but only found forums to post threads on that appeared to be for everyone (not just Wish trips). Am I making any sense????? It's getting late LOL

Pamela

Hey Pamela! You do make sense, and I just saw that you had posted over there and replied, lol. We usually do a short intro so everyone knows our story, but the pretrips stay on this thread. Most of us all follow each others though :)

Horray, a christmas time wish trip!! You must be so excited. I cant wait to follow along with your report.

Woo hoo on the pre-trip report!

You found us and jumped right on in! Congrats on figuring out how to make a pre-trip report!! :)

I have hints on how to post pictures on the second post in the wish trippers unite thread!

I will also post a link to your pretrip report on the wish trippers unit thread! :)

And...I should note that I will be in Disney the same time you guys are!!

We will be in Epcot on December 15 (in the afternoon) and not sure where on December 16th, but definitely in Disney.

:santa:

How cute that your son wants to be a gingerbread man!!! That is adorable!!!

Horray, a christmas time wish trip!! You must be so excited. I cant wait to follow along with your report.

Thanx Jennifer...............Xmas is my family's favorite time of year (fall/Halloween is a close second). I'm a sucker for anything involving decoration and celebration and I drag my husband and children along for the ride (actually they are very willing participants) It's going to be crazy trying to decorate and shop before we go (heck, my house is still decked out from the Halloween celebrations) but I am determined to have everything done before we go so when we come back all we have to do is relax (well, truth be told there will likely be no relaxation but rather alot of trips to light displays and holiday festivals....maybe a party or two of our own in the remaining days leading up to the holiday). Yup......I am a nut.

Again thanx for the welcome and I hope not to disappoint.

Pamela

Woo hoo on the pre-trip report!

You found us and jumped right on in! Congrats on figuring out how to make a pre-trip report!! :)

I have hints on how to post pictures on the second post in the wish trippers unite thread!

I will also post a link to your pretrip report on the wish trippers unit thread! :)

And...I should note that I will be in Disney the same time you guys are!!

We will be in Epcot on December 15 (in the afternoon) and not sure where on December 16th, but definitely in Disney.

:santa:

Thanx for posting the link. I really am pretty illiterate when it comes to the computer. I have no clue how to post pictures or add links............I'm useless!

So you will be in Disney around the same time???? Have you been before at this time of year? I am so looking forward to making the most out of ALL the special holiday things they have to offer......parades, shows, holiday themed activities. We are hoping to be able to extend the trip 2-3 days to keep things less rushed. Our rep will let us know on Monday....apparently it depends on whether changing the days increases the airfare substantially. Even just an extra night would be great. But if not, that's ok...........I'm not about to look a gift horse in the mouth (as they say).

Anyway.........thanx for the welcome.

Hey...btw....how do you include more than one person's quote in the same reply? I told you I was clueless!!!

Pamela

How cute that your son wants to be a gingerbread man!!! That is adorable!!!

You should see the gingerbread man costume I found online....hysterical! I thought it'd be fun to personalize the Wish a bit beyond just going on the trip but no go. Matty has been in the parade at Sesame Place (rode on the Elmo float) so initially when he came up with it I thought it might be ok but when she explained why not it made sense. I guess Disney figures it's doing enough with the free tickets and special access to rides and shows. If they started personalizing everyone's wish (100-200 kids a week) it might get out of hand. I remember reading someone's trip report on here though. Their little boy wanted to meet Peter Pan. I think she mentioned it to one of the CMs in a lounge who made a special phone call and arranged Peter Pan to single out the little boy as he passed by in the parade and then had a meet and greet after. I understand that it might be a longshot getting a meet and greet with the gingerbread men (who the heck wants a meet and greet with the gingerbread men????????) but if my Matty wants to meet a gingerbread man than gosh darn it I'm gonna try and get him to meet a gingerbread man!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

You guys have been so welcoming. Many thanx

Pamela

I love that he has such a specific wish! Too cute! How wonderful that your chapter was able to get the trip organized so quickly. Apparently ours is a very busy one and we were told last week that Feb/Mar is out and we needed to give them some dates in APRIL! I'm trying to see the upside to the long wait. (More time to plan, more time to get in shape, and by the way, am I the only who can't stop shopping for cute Disney stuff all of a sudden? We're gonna be broke by April...):rotfl2: Well I guess you better get planning! Hope to see some pics soon!;)

I love that he has such a specific wish! Too cute! How wonderful that your chapter was able to get the trip organized so quickly. Apparently ours is a very busy one and we were told last week that Feb/Mar is out and we needed to give them some dates in APRIL! I'm trying to see the upside to the long wait. (More time to plan, more time to get in shape, and by the way, am I the only who can't stop shopping for cute Disney stuff all of a sudden? We're gonna be broke by April...):rotfl2: Well I guess you better get planning! Hope to see some pics soon!;)

Hi Melissa,

Don't hold your breath for px LOL I think we need a scanner for that don't we???

Our chapter really went above and beyond to make this happen for us. I am soooo appreciative of their efforts. When I first talked to the rep in early October I told her that Matty's Wish was to go during the holiday celebrations and so we were thinking the second or third week in December (couldn't go before that and didn't want to be gone for Xmas). We didn't give her any restrictions as far as dates....just said anytime from 12/8 to 12/24; that allowed her to just find 7 consecutive days during that two week period. If we had been more specific we may not have gotten it. I can see where a longer wait would definately be helpful. I'm going to be going nuts in the next few weeks. I have thought about getting some Disney stuff but I've got to finish my Xmas shopping first!! I did get a cute book for Matty tonight though called 'The Gingerbread Man'. So appropo (sp?).

I noticed you were from Arizona. Just curious. Why did you choose WDW over DL? Does DL have something similar for Wish kids? When they were pushing for a second wish from Matty we wondered if we should just say DL (in case there was no availability at WDW) but I knew nothing about it.

To anyone and everyone:

I thought of some questions that perhaps someone might be able to help with. Here goes.....

1) is it likely too late to even think about booking a character breakfast? I'm aware of how early everyone books and how crazy it can be trying to book them so close to a trip. I don't want to stress out about it but certainly it would be fun to get one in. Any tips? Should I just save my sanity and try to spend our money elsewhere? No doubt the opportunities for that will be bountiful!!
2) how about the MVMCP? Are we going to be too late to get tickets to that too? That WOULD be a bigtime bummer (gotta at least SEE those gingerbread men!). I have to wait until I get airline confirmation on Monday before I can do anything.
3) I read about dinner shows in the Orlando area....anyone know anything about them (besides that they are pretty expensive LOL)? Are they worth looking into? Maybe as an alternative to a character meal?
4) I've also read many talk about the packet GKTW provides at orientation. Do I understand correctly that they give you not only tickets to the parks but also coupons/tickets to other area attractions? Can anyone elaborate? I'd love to know what else there MIGHT be available BEFORE we get there in order to help with planning. I'd hate to find that we received a coupon/ticket to something I had paid full price for already.
5) I've read about the ICE show at a local hotel (Gaylord Palms I believe). Has anyone been? Is it worth the big price (remember, there are 6 of us!)? The site is intriguing and I'm thinking the kids would love to go (me too!)
6) Finally (for tonight anyway) we are hoping to extend our trip a couple of days (2 or 3, we'll know if we can and for how long on Monday). Any suggestions for inexpensive accomodations for the final days? If we don't utilize all the tickets GKTW has provided us in our packet, can we use them on those days (i.e. if we've only used 2/3 days on our park hopper)? Is anyone aware of other holiday type things going on in central Florida we might want to take in (rather than spending a fortune going back into the parks for another day or two)? Just trying to think ahead.

ok, ok....I'm done. Sorry I got carried away..........my mind is spinning a mile a minute. Just trying to be as prepared as possible; very unusual for me. We are usually a 'fly by the seat of our pants' kind of family when it comes to vacations/getaways but I can't do that this time.......there ain't no do over for this one!!

Thanx guys!!!

Pamela

I just ordered Matty a gingerbread man costume online!!!!! Seven pages in on my search before I found a merchant who had his size in stock.....I was starting to think I was going to have to get the sewing machine out!!!! Even if he chickens out and doesn't wear it it will be a fabulous memory to hold onto. I'm tickled pink!

Pamela

I just ordered Matty a gingerbread man costume online!!!!! Seven pages in on my search before I found a merchant who had his size in stock.....I was starting to think I was going to have to get the sewing machine out!!!! Even if he chickens out and doesn't wear it it will be a fabulous memory to hold onto. I'm tickled pink!

Pamela

So cute!! You will have to post pics of Matty in his costume and of him metting the gingerbread man at Disney. Congrats on finding one in his size.

I love the beginning of your PTR. It's wonderful that your Wish organization has gotten things together so quickly for Matty! It looks like our trips will overlap a bit - we are going December 3-12 because we extended for 3 days to visit with family. We check out of GKTW on the 10th, but are thinking of returning for breakfast the day we leave.

Good luck with the planning. I love the Gingerbread Man idea - so creative!

Welcome! :welcome:

Hi Melissa,

Don't hold your breath for px LOL I think we need a scanner for that don't we???

Our chapter really went above and beyond to make this happen for us. I am soooo appreciative of their efforts. When I first talked to the rep in early October I told her that Matty's Wish was to go during the holiday celebrations and so we were thinking the second or third week in December (couldn't go before that and didn't want to be gone for Xmas). We didn't give her any restrictions as far as dates....just said anytime from 12/8 to 12/24; that allowed her to just find 7 consecutive days during that two week period. If we had been more specific we may not have gotten it. I can see where a longer wait would definately be helpful. I'm going to be going nuts in the next few weeks. I have thought about getting some Disney stuff but I've got to finish my Xmas shopping first!! I did get a cute book for Matty tonight though called 'The Gingerbread Man'. So appropo (sp?).

I noticed you were from Arizona. Just curious. Why did you choose WDW over DL? Does DL have something similar for Wish kids? When they were pushing for a second wish from Matty we wondered if we should just say DL (in case there was no availability at WDW) but I knew nothing about it.

To anyone and everyone:

I thought of some questions that perhaps someone might be able to help with. Here goes.....

1) is it likely too late to even think about booking a character breakfast? I'm aware of how early everyone books and how crazy it can be trying to book them so close to a trip. I don't want to stress out about it but certainly it would be fun to get one in. Any tips? Should I just save my sanity and try to spend our money elsewhere? No doubt the opportunities for that will be bountiful!!

I think you should try to get a character meal. Who does Matty want to meet? Even if it looks like everything is booked right now, people cancel last minute!

2) how about the MVMCP? Are we going to be too late to get tickets to that too? That WOULD be a bigtime bummer (gotta at least SEE those gingerbread men!). I have to wait until I get airline confirmation on Monday before I can do anything.

I have read in the past that only a few of the parties sell out and not until closer to the days. I think you should be ok with waiting a few days to get tickets.

3) I read about dinner shows in the Orlando area....anyone know anything about them (besides that they are pretty expensive LOL)? Are they worth looking into? Maybe as an alternative to a character meal?

I don't know about these

4) I've also read many talk about the packet GKTW provides at orientation. Do I understand correctly that they give you not only tickets to the parks but also coupons/tickets to other area attractions? Can anyone elaborate? I'd love to know what else there MIGHT be available BEFORE we get there in order to help with planning. I'd hate to find that we received a coupon/ticket to something I had paid full price for already.

5) I've read about the ICE show at a local hotel (Gaylord Palms I believe). Has anyone been? Is it worth the big price (remember, there are 6 of us!)? The site is intriguing and I'm thinking the kids would love to go (me too!)

6) Finally (for tonight anyway) we are hoping to extend our trip a couple of days (2 or 3, we'll know if we can and for how long on Monday). Any suggestions for inexpensive accomodations for the final days? If we don't utilize all the tickets GKTW has provided us in our packet, can we use them on those days (i.e. if we've only used 2/3 days on our park hopper)? Is anyone aware of other holiday type things going on in central Florida we might want to take in (rather than spending a fortune going back into the parks for another day or two)? Just trying to think ahead.

Go to the link in my signature for my pre-trip report and towards the last 2/3 of my report I have links to all of the holiday decorations that you want to see at the Disney Resorts as well as meeting Santa at downtown Disney. Now, I have never done any of this before, but I have friends that have and they say that these displays are not to be missed! :santa:

ok, ok....I'm done. Sorry I got carried away..........my mind is spinning a mile a minute. Just trying to be as prepared as possible; very unusual for me. We are usually a 'fly by the seat of our pants' kind of family when it comes to vacations/getaways but I can't do that this time.......there ain't no do over for this one!!

Thanx guys!!!

Pamela

You might also want to put a link to your pre-trip report in your signature line and then more people can find Matty's Wish and come and answer questions for you. We leave in 12 days and when I come back I can report on the Christmas items that were up already while we are there. However, we are staying on Disney property so I can't give advice on GKTW. Again, Welcome! :santa::santa::santa:

Thanx for posting the link. I really am pretty illiterate when it comes to the computer. I have no clue how to post pictures or add links............I'm useless!

So you will be in Disney around the same time????

YEP! I will be there with my friend Rachel (who uses a bright orange wheelchair), her Mom, Rachel's best friend, Rachel's neice, brother and sister in law! And I am sorta the tour guide...so things are going to be nuts. Our plans are to be in Epcot on the 15th to eat and go to the Candleight Processional that day. I may actually have some time later that night that I might be on my own...not sure yet. Depends on how things go and how long it takes, etc. Really it depends on whether or not we can get a GAC for Rachel. She should qualify, but we won't know till we get there. (GAC - is the card that we may be able to use to make the trek out a little faster - but not a front of the line pass.)

Have you been before at this time of year?

Nope. Never been at Christmas. Can not wait!!!

I am so looking forward to making the most out of ALL the special holiday things they have to offer......parades, shows, holiday themed activities. We are hoping to be able to extend the trip 2-3 days to keep things less rushed. Our rep will let us know on Monday....apparently it depends on whether changing the days increases the airfare substantially. Even just an extra night would be great. But if not, that's ok...........I'm not about to look a gift horse in the mouth (as they say).

I really, really hope you can extend because getting everything in is going to be difficult at Christmas. If you are able to extend...maybe we can go to the Christmas party the same night??

Anyway.........thanx for the welcome.

Hey...btw....how do you include more than one person's quote in the same reply? I told you I was clueless!!!

Pamela

To include more than one quote you click the little + key at the bottom...and you can click more than one...click them all and then click reply and they will all show up. Then you can type inside the quotes (like I did above in pink) or outside...like this note. :)

Hi Melissa,

To anyone and everyone:

It is not too late...depending on where you want to eat and when. Come up with some ideas and let me know...you can PM me...and I can try to help you get them.

Which characters do you like?

Check out this site....

www.allears.net and go to Dining - there is a whole section on there about character dining.

DEFINITELY do MVMCP. If you can...stay away from the 18th...that is the last night of the party and will be hard to get into.

I am going the 17th...but don't let that sway you! :rolleyes1

The best day to go is during the middle of the week when you have fewer local folks and people are not quite in town.

Honestly...there will be TONS to do in Disney/Universal...especially with Christmas. You can read my TR if you want info (albeit not positive) about the Pirate Show. Although if I had a pirate lover, I may go again despite our issues.

I would do a character meal instead! :)

Ok...you get a 3 day PH to Disney parks. 2 Days for Universal and 1 day for Sea World. They also have free tickets to Gatorland (don't waste your time unless you are there a whole extra week) and some other attractions. I think they can get free tickets to water parks, too.

But you don't get tickets to MVMCP and as far as I know there are no discounts for that.

Depending on where you live...I would take your kids at another time. I am sure it is a great production...but you will have LOTS to do and that may be a great thing to look forward to after you get back...assuming you can get to one around where you live?

I would try to stay on Disney property if you can swing it. I think they still have Free Dining those days...so you might want to call and check on that. The hotels are a little more expensive, but they provide transportation so that you don't have to worry about renting a car.

I should tell you, though, that you are approaching a VERY crowded and high price time at Disney at the end of your trip. Starting the 20th, I believe, it really starts to get busy at Disney. But you could do your Sea World or Universal day towards the end and try to do your Disney stuff toward the beginning. ???

There are also good places to stay offsite, you will just need to rent a car.

Thanx guys!!!

Pamela

I get carried away, too!!! :)

Thank you so much for all the great advice! Good to know to stay away from MVMCP on that last night. "Technically" our Wish trip ends on the 16th so I would imagine any attempt to get anything 'extra' would be a no-go after that date. Don't those wacky gingerbread men march in MVMCP? I'm not giving up on this crazy meet and greet idea (although I still have no clue how to make it happen). I suppose as a result I need to try and get tickets during one of the nights we are at GKTW. I have to figure whether doing it in the beginning as a great intro to the week or at the end as a great close to the week would be better. HMMMMMMM Decisions, decisions:confused3

As for character meals I will definately PM you (Maroo) once I get some ideas and get confirmation of the trip later today, many many big big thanx for the offer! I really am a novice at all this. I've only been to Disney twice, once in my late twenties (when I lived in Florida) and once on a conference with my husband 4 yrs ago. Neither of those times were planned out; we just flew by the seat of our pants. Didn't do character meals or anything. So I DEFINATELY appreciate any and all help I can get.

As far as water parks..................GKTW can get tickets to those too? Are you serious???????? Is that in place of one of the others or in addition? Is it warm enough to go to a water park at that time of year? My kids LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE (did I say 'LOVE') waterparks:yay::woohoo::banana::cool1::dance3: (did I make myself clear with all those? LOL) I wouldn't want to do it in place of MK/AK/US/IOA/Ep/HS but if we could do it one day and then perhaps hold a ticket from the regular packet until one of the days we extend our trip that would be beyond fab! Or perhaps that's a no-no to use a free ticket on the extended portion of the trip? I think I need a Wish trip Etiquette book.

As far as ICE is concerned....I've never heard of anything like it around here so I'll have to see if we can fit it in without taking away from everything else. We attack our vacations and weekend getaways in a commando style....GO, GO, GO... and really enjoy that pace (yes, even the kids do, they are VERY well-trained). The word 'relax' is simply not in the Crosby vocabulary. So while I would like to savor this trip at a bit of a slower pace, I'm thinking more like 75 mph (as opposed to 100)!

ok...finally................accomodations for the extended portion of our trip. I read of a 29 dollar/night deal on one of the DISboards that is available if booked through mid-November. Supposedly at a fairly decent no-frills off- property hotel/motel. Almost sounds to good to bypass if it's still available when I get around to booking. Staying at a Disney property sounds great but for just 2-3 nights towards the end of the week I probably would be hard pressed to get a good deal. I'd rather spend our money on the FUN FUN FUN........hotels aren't anything more than a place to sleep for us (we have hysterical stories of places we have stayed:eek:). If you do know of any real deals on property I'd love to hear them though as well as any real reasons it might be worth the extra money.

Pamela:santa:

Matty's Wish Trip http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2325607

oh.....and here's that utterly ridiculous (but oh so adorable on a 42" 6 yr old) gingerbread man costume!

http://www.officialcostumes.com/99883116.html

ok, ok, so not EXACTLY the same but close enough. I think it needs a bow around the neck. I'll have to work on that (like I don't have enough to do LOL)

Pamela:santa:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter