Yummy family eats in Carlsbad, La Jolla & San Diego?

Well, everyone, thanks so much for your great suggestions! We hit a few of them (Let's see: Ruby's, Karl Strauss, El Indio, Point Loma Seafoods, plus Rubios and In n Out Burger ... not a clunker in the bunch!)

We were disappointed that we didn't get to go to Saffron (we were headed there the night we ended up at El Indio. Busy Sat night and we couldn't find parking. El Indio has its own lot so - voila - there we went), the Rockin' Baja Lobster place, Pizza Nova (which was highly recommended by our hotel too), Anthony's Fish Grotto and Hodad's (planned to eat there on our SW day but we didn't even make it to there, thanks to my youngest son getting ill our last couple days.

I understand why there were few suggestions for La Jolla Village now. We considered George's or the Crab Catcher but DH put his foot down about being on vacation and didn't want to dress up even marginally. Yes, even the Crab Catcher was too fancy for him. :) So, we ended up at a Mexican joint across the street (Antonios). VERY mediocre food - 2 enchilada plates (with two smallish enchiladas), 2 kid's meals and sangria: $80! Before tip! The only time in recent memory I have thought "what a rip off" about a restaurant. The next night we ended up at, yes, Rubios out in the eastern fringes of La Jolla.

We did have breakfast at the Cottage in La Jolla and loved it! If I had known they served dinner beforehand, we would have gone there instead of the place above.

Oh, and we had a really wonderful meal at the Prado restaurant in Balboa Park too. I went in with notions that it was a tourist trap - and it may well be - so hadn't planned to eat there but we walked by and were charmed. Turned out we thought the food was extremely tasty!

Speaking of Rubio's - the one at the airport closed three weeks ago and is being replaced with a Baja Express. Just FYI, in case anyone was searching there after I mentioned it in this thread.

Anyway, just thought some who posted suggestions would like to know the outcome of our trip. We had a lovely time!

Thanks for much for posting the follow-up - I'm glad that our suggestions were helpful to you and you had a good trip! Sorry that you missed out on Saffron - but I know what you mean about parking down there. And really sorry to hear that your son was ill...hope it was nothing serious and he's all better now!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter