You're in a car park, a hitchhiker approaches you asking to take them to the place you are going to , do you take them?

Definitely not. But my dad has the funny story he likes to tell about a hitchhiker approaching him for a ride. We were pulling a boat between Pennsylvania and Florida and must have stopped somewhere. The guy was in uniform and my dad had been in the service in the 60’s and often hitchhiked home when he had leave so he wanted to help. But he had his wife and 4 young daughters in the car and he was concerned so he told the guy he couldn’t get in the car, but he was welcome to ride in the boat. I don’t know how far we took him (I think I was sleeping) but my dad loves to tell the story of driving down the highway with this guy sitting in the boat with a big smile on his face.

Last edited:
Depends on where I'm at. I wouldn't pick up a hitchhiker on the highway, but I've given people rides from trailheads to the nearest town before.

Possibly not from a random car park but we still have hitchhikers here and I occasionally pick them up, or people I vaguely know walking home with shopping etc. Recently I walked about 5 miles along the coastal path and suddenly the heavens opened and I was drenched. I decided to get a bus back (buses are free for over 60s in Wales), but when the bus came the driver didn’t stop. A man noticed what had happened and offered me a lift home in his truck and I happily hopped in. He was a local fisherman.
I don’t know whether it is still the case, but I think that it used to be against the law in Greece not to stop and offer a hitchhiking soldier a lift. It was common to see young conscripts in uniform hitchhiking to and from their base/home.

I picked up a hitchhiker one time, I was in St. John on vacation where hitchhiking is a mode of transportation. I am not entirely sure what possessed me to do it but I did. Here in NJ, absolutely not.

My mom lives in NH and comes across a lot of thru hikers who are hitchhiking when they come off the AT, she used to pick them up from time to time but thankfully has gotten away from doing so.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter