You're going to Disney again? Sept/Oct 2013 PTR

difry

Earning My Ears
Will I or won’t I? The only trip report I’ve done in the past was a very short. Now I’m actually contemplating a PTR just so I have someone to obsess with and don’t drive my family crazy : ) Let's see how it goes...

Who are we?

Mom (me)– the hyper-planner. I love to research vacations, plan, and prepare. My family (who you will meet below) tease me about my obsessiveness…but always thank me and acknowledge my efforts.

Dad (hubby)- He is typically along for the ride and happy to follow my plan (as long as it doesn't cost too much!)

The Girl (28 year old daughter) – the hyper-planner in training : ) She loves Disney Vacations as much as I do.

The Boy (25 year old son) – Too cool to be too excited but OMG THIS IS GONNA BE SO COOL!

The Son-in-law (daughter’s hubby of almost 2 years) – His first trip to The World was their honeymoon. He is also too cool…but excited and ready to go.

Our Disney History: although this is somewhat outlined below in my signature, I thought I would elaborate a bit.

1974 – Contemporary Resort Me and my family - most perfect family vacation ever! Space Mountain wasn't finished and there was very little of the current “WORLD” there it was an amazing experience. We were there for 3 days and it is one of my best family vacation memories while growing up.

1975 – Campground (Him and his family)

1976 – Off Property Me and my family…not as fun as the Contemporary. We meet some extended family and I think we stayed at a Howard Johnson’s (but am not sure). It was grey and rainy and not near the fun of our original experience.

1991 – We were poor and young and had two little kids, but on a trip to Sarasota to visit family we managed to pay for day passes, make the 2 hour drive, and spend a day at the MK. Our son who was not quite 4 had a meltdown in the car while we were dealing with parking traffic. The first thing he did as we entered the Magic Kingdom…was puke. We still tease him about this. It was fun, but expensive.

2003 – both of the Kids are in High school band and they take a band trip to Disney World for Spring Break. They come back with tales of the wonder of Epcot. It gets us thinking….

2006 – Kids are out of school and working. Hubby and I manage a couple weeks away…just the two of us. After visiting family in Sarasota…why don’t we stop by Disney for a couple of days. We got a room at the Downtown Disney Best Western and a 2 day park hopper pass, 1/2 day per park. This is the beginning of the current obsession.

2007–Ft. Wilderness Cabins The four of us finally explore the World together. It was a wonderful trip. This is when I discover disboards and learn of “free dining”. We ate at Nine Dragons, The Rose and Crown, Trails End, and Sci Fi Dine In.

2009 – Ft. Wilderness Cabins – After listening to us gush about our trip. Hubby’s Mom and Dad take us all to Disney. There are nine of us in all and because our nephew is still in school, we go in June. It was HOT and crowded but we still managed to enjoy the trip. Not free, but we got the dining plan and ate at: Nine Dragons, Liberty Tree Tavern, Mama Melrose’s, and the Rose and Crown.

2011 – All Star Music – 2011 was supposed to be another Disney year for all of us…but instead we paid for a wedding. Daughter and new Husband get to Honeymoon at Disney. They got the dining plan and ate at: Yak and Yeti, Restaurant Marrakesh, San Angel Inn restaurante, and the Biergarten.

So…that’s who we are and our Disney history. With three months and 3 weeks until our trip, we shall see if I can come up with enough for a PTR to keep everyone interested : )

Before I get into the details of our trip...I have to share!!!

My daughter and I are planning to make drawstring backpacks to carry for the trip. We ordered special fabric which arrived yesterday and is perfect!!!

(my first attempt to upload a photo...fingers crossed...OK...multiple unsuccessful tries to insert the photo...but I think I finally got it!!!)

IMG_4913 by fry_diana, on Flickr

The plan is for the bags to have a pocket. The Belle fabric is for my daughters and I am hoping to Appliqué /quit the Belle patch onto the pocket. I think the Cinderella fabric (which is mine) is a big enough print that I will make the whole pocket out of the fabric itself.

A Disney project to help pass the time!

I died when I saw your pic! I'm a big Whovian and princess lover so it makes so much sense!

A little Disney Flashback :)

diana disney by fry_diana, on Flickr
Me and Minnie, 1974 on my families' first trip to Disney World. Back in the day, the characters just walked around and you stopped and had your picture made. No lines or autograph books, just pictures. Many of the more mischievous characters (Big Bad Wolf, Chip -n- Dale) would mess with my very stylish hat during the picture, but Minnie just struck a pose :)

IMG_2371 by fry_diana, on Flickr
I found this map while cleaning out some of my mother's things (she was a pack-rat/borderline hoarder...we are still finding stuff 2 years after her death) I believe we purchased this map on our first visit in 1974. Space Mountain wasn't open (I think it was under construction).

I'm enjoying reminiscing, but swear I'll get to actual details about our upcoming trip soon :rolleyes1

Reminiscing is hard to stop once you get started :confused3

di dis 3 by fry_diana, on Flickr

I love how my father is dressed in this picture. Day at Disney?...better put on my dress slacks and shiny belt!

di dis 2 by fry_diana, on Flickr

I know somewhere is a picture of me and the Big-Bad-Wolf...gonna have to find that one ;)

Ok, finally some details for our upcoming trip:

When we first started planning this trip, it was going to be 5 nights/5 days (which would be our standard length trip). But then we missed free dining by 4 days...so rather than switch weeks, we added the days, got free dining, and are still trying to figure out how we are so lucky as to get 8 full days at The World!!!

9 nights at Ft. Wilderness with an 8 day/park hopper/ Disney Quest pass (we don’t do the water parks…but LOVE Disney Quest), FREE dining plan.

We are very excited that the Food and Wine Festival will be going on while we are at Disney and plan to use most of our snack credits at the food booths there.

Itinerary: We tend to plan our days around our ADRs. Other than that…we are pretty much “go with the flow”

September 25th
Driving Day: 13 hours 15 minutes (yes…we’ve got it down)
2-cars, our daughter, son, and son-in-law drive separately. It is hard to fit 5 adults and their luggage into one car. (add to that a guitar or two, a couple of laptops, and everyone’s special pillow and it really gets crowded…)
Arrive Ft. Wilderness, check in, and then Downtown Disney for that first taste of the world and dinner. We will probably eat counter service at Cookes (we love pub fare)

September 26th
Dinner at Coral Reef
Epcot is our favorite park. We could easily spend the entire day there.
This will be the whole families’ first time dining at the Coral Reef

September 27th
Breakfast at Trails End
We have had the dinner buffet at Trails end and decided to try it for breakfast this trip.

September 28th
Dinner at Sanaa
Another new restaurant for the entire family. The menu looks so interesting and I really want to visit the Animal Kingdom Lodge.

September 29th
Dinner Ragland Road
I can see an after dinner Disney Quest adventure this day.
We really are all suckers for good Pub fare! This will be our first time eating at Ragland Road.

September 30th
Dinner at Tokyo Dining
My son loves Japanese dining, this was his pick and we are all excited to give this restaurant a try.

October 1st
Lunch at the Yak and Yeti
This will be our big Animal Kingdom day.
The Yak and Yeti is a repeat restaurant for our daughter and son-in-law from their honeymoon. They really wanted the rest of the family to experience the restaurant.

October 2nd
We’re going to a Luau!!!
The Spirit of Aloha at the Polynesian
A first for all of us!

October 3rd
Dinner at Restaurant Marrakesh
Again, Epcot is our favorite park, so where better to end our adventure. Restaurant Marrakesh was one of my daughter and son-in-laws favorite restaurants from their honeymoon trip.

October 4th
We all sink into that great post-WDW depression as we drive the 13 hours back home.
This is where 2 cars become even more important…So much more stuff to pack on the way home!

That's what we have so far. We know we want to go to Fantasmic one night and are debating the Not-so-scary Halloween party (What a conundrum...so much money already spent...do we really want to pay another $50 pp for a late night at the MK? It sounds really fun and cool...but another $50pp?? Life is so rough...right?)

I finally got to the fabric store and bought the rest of the supplies for our backpacks. I played hooky from work Monday and acctually got pretty far in the construction of the bags.

IMG_4692 by fry_diana, on Flickr

The Belle bag (in the background) needs a little more quilting.

IMG_4691 by fry_diana, on Flickr

The Cinderella patch is a bit bigger and has a little more detail to quilt.

IMG_4689 by fry_diana, on Flickr

I know I will want to carry my good camera (Rebel T4i) at least part of the trip, my bag will have a foam insert to keep my it safe.

I'm so glad we decided to do this...we are getting so close to trip time and I need to keep busy.

Is it September yet!?!?!:yay:

:thumbsup2 Great idea a PTR..I like your ideas. I think im driving my family crazy with plannig as well. I am anxiously awaiting September as well. 8 days is a wonderful stay length!

:thumbsup2 Great idea a PTR..I like your ideas. I think im driving my family crazy with plannig as well. I am anxiously awaiting September as well. 8 days is a wonderful stay length!

I know I'm making mine crazy. I try to limit my "HEY AT DISNEY..." sentences to 1 per day : ) I just found an update on the "Disney Food blog" that says they will have Scotch Eggs at the Scotland booth in Epcot...which is something my boys have talked about trying to make. We are really excited about the food and wine festival.

I know I'm making mine crazy. I try to limit my "HEY AT DISNEY..." sentences to 1 per day : ) I just found an update on the "Disney Food blog" that says they will have Scotch Eggs at the Scotland booth in Epcot...which is something my boys have talked about trying to make. We are really excited about the food and wine festival.

Oh nice! Thats exciting. Yeah i am trying to limit to because planning and talking about our trip is all i seem to say now a days :goodvibes

This is why I usually do a 1-post highlight of our Disney trips! I'm terrible at keeping up with these things!

So...we are 3 weeks from our Epic Disney Adventure. We've made a slight change to our Itinerary. We are going to split the driving up a bit:

September 24th
Driving Day 1: Leave home after work and drive about 4.5 hours before stopping for the night.

September 25th
Driving Day 2: reduces the drive time to about 8.5 hours. Arrive Ft. Wilderness earlier, check in, and then Downtown Disney for that first taste of the world and dinner. We will probably eat counter service at Cookes (we love pub fare)

Backpack update: I'll try and post some pictures of the (all but finished) backpacks this week. My daughter and I took the packs to the state fair and decided to make a few modifications. I'm pretty happy with them and think they will work great!

Health update (WHAT?!?! -- Why a health update you ask...) I sprained my ankle very badly on August 1st. I spent about 2 weeks on crutches, a few days on a cane and today as I walked into work had the wonderful realization that I wasn't limping. Now, buy the end of the day I might be limping again...but every day is a little better. Hopefully that will continue. I plan to pack my cane and wear a brace...but hopefully it will be even better and stronger by the 25th when we arrive at Disney. Despite my panic at the initial injury, I keep telling myself that there are still 3 weeks of healing to go : )

Most importantly...I am able to say..."We are going to Disney World THIS MONTH!"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter