Your travel traditions

The only tradition we have is we almost always end up running out the door late and fussing at each other. Well did you get this or that? What are you doing in there? Come on we are going to miss our flight! I don't see how you got up 2 horus ago, were already packed, and still don't have your shoes on and teeth brushed?!!! These are all phrases you will hear uttered (ok screamed sometimes) at our house when we leave for a trip.

IF we fly thru MCO we always stop at Nathans on the way back and grab a hot dog. We don't have them around here but lately we have been flying either really early in the mornig or going thru SFB so that tradition has been slowly dying out.

LOL! on the great family traditions! :lmao:

We usually take the early flight, but we're trying something new this time and taking a later flight. Wanna bet I'm still packing as we walk out the door?

We wake up at 7am & I finish any last minute packing while DH feeds the kids. Then DH loads the van while I eat. We do one last run through of the house (turn off lights, unplugs things and turn up AC) before we load the kids into the car and head to WDW.

We usually put a movie on for the kids to keep them entertained on the way (which is a treat since we usually don't use the DVD player). We usually get on the road by 9am/10am.

Living in Minnesota, our trips have always been on a plane and have always been in the winter.

Work a full day, let kids go to school (we always pull them out for 5-7 days). While everyone's gone (I work from home) I get all of the last minute things done at home, drop the dogs at the sitters, and sometimes get the carpets cleaned (they get to dry for a whole week with no traffic!).

When everyone starts arriving home, I have them double check their rooms and load up the car. We head to a hotel by the airport to check in overnight. Even though we live less than an hour away from the airport, Minnesota roads during morning rush hour in the winter are very unpredictable and cause us to sleep restlessly all night anyway. By staying in the hotel, we not only are sure we have everything, but even if we oversleep, we're minutes away from the airport. And when the kids were little, it was much easier to check a hotel room quickly (I pack just what we'll need for the night in a separate suitcase and then leave the winter stuff we wore in the car), than to check the whole house for stuffed animals that got set down, tooth brushes, etc. As an added benefit, the hotel has a package where they keep our car the entire week, feed us breakfast and provide the shuttle to the airport. When we return our car is cleaned off (of snow) and warmed up.

We normally arrive by 3pm on Friday and head to DTD. At this time of year, the parks close early and it's not worth it to us to use a day. Most of the time we have more friends/family arriving on Sunday, and that's when we check into our DVC resort. The two nights prior are for us to get groceries, check on "the lay of the land" and get ready for our guests. Our actually itinerary changes each trip and is dependent on what the people who are joining us want to see.

Our only other RULE is that, when traveling with other people, we ALWAYS use the last three days of the trip for just our immediate family. Even if the rest of the group will also be there, we leave them and go somewhere else. Normally, this means as the DVC members, we stay DVC Sun - Thurs, and then Friday morning we all split up and stay elsewhere on property Fri - Monday. Sometimes the other family goes home, sometimes they move to a different hotel. We usually head to Fort Wilderness and stay in a cabin. The kitchen allows us to use up the leftover food, and it is so relaxing. By giving ourselves those three days to ourselves, we are able to say all week, "We'll do that after we all split up." We then get to see things the others didn't want to see.

The funny thing is during planning the other family always says, "But when we split up, we can still meet to do stuff, right?" and I'll say, "We'll see how it goes." By the end of the week, we've all been so glad to have our own space that we never arrange to meet up with anyone again. We've always had amazing, fun trips, but we've just all been ready for our own time. :thumbsup2

We drive down form Ottawa every year and here are our traditions:

- packing the truck the night before is a must!
- lots of snacks, disney movies, and music for the trip
- on overnight hotel stay about half way down (virginia usually)
- staying at bonnet creek!
- unpacking that first night and making a run to walmart for food/supplies for the week
- IHOP at least one morning
- lunch at Crystal Palace
- letting the kids pick put something at the candy shoppe on main street in MK
- dinner at O'hanas
- letting the kids sleep together and stay up late to watch the tv in their rooms
- It's a small world
- oh, I forgot, taking a picture at the Florida reststop on the way down (Welcome to Florida, The Sunshine State!)

That's all I can think off the top of my head, but I'm sure more will come to mind later....I already can't wait for this years trip in May :yay:

We have one tradition for every road trip we take: We sing "East Bound & Down" (the "Smokey and the Bandit" theme song).

Loving this thread! We usually drive to WDW. The drive usually is 18 hours long :eek:

Our traditions:

~I alway make DD a "goodie bag" which consist of different things a new shirt, Disney gift card, travel games, a new DVD, and any thing else I can think of. I start getting this ready months in advance and score lots of good times from the $1 area of Target!

~The night before I bake muffins, sausage balls (for in the cooler), and cookies for in the car. We also pick-up from the store lunch meat, water, tortillas, fruit, and chips to eat in the car!

~We are on the road by 4:30am. We drive straight through only stopping for gas.

~Our first day is always MK.

~We eat at least once at Earl to get our Tuna Melt fix.

~Casey's hotdogs on the first day!

~A Mickey Bar a day makes the MAGIC stay!

~We have to eat at O'Hana's, 50s Prime Time, and Chef Mickey's.

~Take full advantage of the MK evening EMHs!!!

~Cry our eyes out when it's time to come home.

For a week before we watch hours of you tube videos about Disney attractions.

Being from the UK, it's a long flight...we always go to the airport the night before and get a hotel by the airport to save time in the morning!

We always take an extra suitcase for the purchases we know we'll make

We pack snacks in our hand luggage in case the plane food is rubbish

We always hire a car and drive everywhere even though we stay on-site

We check in, unpack our stuff, eat and crash out ready for an early morning next day

Hmmm... let's see...

We have been driving down since we got the camper to stay at the Fort. We usually take off the day before we leave to get the camper in order and pick up the last-minute things we need. Camper needs to be packed, down and hooked up to the truck before we go to bed. (To try to sleep, but it's hard!!!) I usually surprise DD with a new book or movie for the trip.

On the day of, we get up early, pack up the car stuff (box lunches, pop, etc.) and drive over the Enola, PA Dunkin' for breakfast. Donut power is the only way to keep your energy high for a 12 hour drive.

We usually stop and eat our box lunches at the NC welcome center (ya know the multi-tiered one along I-95). That's also about the time we start counting the billboards for South of the Border. Think it came in about 56 from coming North-South.

You really have to make your own entertainment on I-95. Its basically a tunnel of trees with little else thru the Carolinas and Georgia. I'll leave that up to your imagination.

Always got to stop at Wal-Mart for the stuff I forgot to pack, always...

Once we get to the Fort, we get checked in, set up and head for the Meadows pool for a dip. We hang around the site, and spend the evening up at the beach to watch the fireworks.

After that, unless we're eating in a particular park, we don't plan our visits too hard so we can go with the vacation flow.

New this year... Cocoa Beach for a day, and maybe try a Disney water park.

We have only been to WDW once & we flew to MCO. We took the earliest flight and b/c we live an hour away, we had to leave the house by 4am. DH HAS to have his morning coffee or else he gets headaches. Didnt do anything special upon arrival...just happy to be there.

We have 2 trips booked for next year and are planning on the early flights out again, however, we are considering staying in a hotel close to the airport to avoid leaving QUITE so early.

I cannot speak for anyone else in my group from time to time, but I always need to stop for a McDonald Egg McMuffin. Got into the habit of that from my first trip in 1983 and have done it ever since. Don't know why exactly, but things just don't feel right if I don't start that way. Otherwise...I don't do anything special.

Almost thought you said McGriddle.:sick: That 'thing' was not right!:eek:

The first song we listen to in the car in "What time is it?....Summertime" from High School Musical. No matter what month we go, I just change the words when I scream the song. Like, "What time is it... Christmas Time." The boys think I am a dork and they are so embarrassed to listen to HSM soundtrack but I think they would be disappointed if we didn't do it.

We stop at a McDonald's about 15 minutes up the road from the house. We always take a picture here.

We stop at the same gas station every trip.

I always get us new pajamas for the first nights sleep.

We take a picture on the day we are leaving with sad faces.

:lmao: For the longest time at our place when someone would ask "What time is it?" everyone else would respond "Summertime!" Even in the middle of winter! HSM has alot to answer for!!! :rotfl:

The first song we listen to in the car in "What time is it?....Summertime" from High School Musical. No matter what month we go, I just change the words when I scream the song. Like, "What time is it... Christmas Time." The boys think I am a dork and they are so embarrassed to listen to HSM soundtrack but I think they would be disappointed if we didn't do it.

Our trips usually consist of me, my two younger brothers, and my parents. We live in Illinois so we typically have a bit of travel time. We have flown a couple times but actually prefer the drive. We just love driving through Tennessee and it makes the trip last longer :) When us kids were younger, we would leave super early in the morning so that us kids would sleep for the majority of the trip. We would typically have hotel reservations just past Atlanta where we would stop for the night. Now, that we are all older, we have been making the drive straight through. My dad drives the whole way (he refuses to let anyone else drive). Mile-wise it is supposed to be around a 19hr trip but we keep improving our time each trip. We made it this year in 13 hours I believe. Anyways, we always have a cooler in the front seat full of coke and water (flavored water for me). Our "co-pilot" sits in front who is either me or one of my brothers. The co-pilot helps my dad navigate through traffic, hit the right exits, and point out rest areas and gas stations. The co-pilot has to stay awake for the entire journey so that someone can keep my dad awake. He likes to eat sunflower seeds to keep awake! We typically stay offsite for our first night so once we get there everyone takes a nap and then we hit DTD to get the spirit going!

We are making our first trip from the Jackson area in a few weeks. Just curios, why don't you take 98 to Mobile for I-10 instead of going down 49 to hit I-10 in Gulfport?

I have done this route before and would like to suggest a less stressful route, as there are a number of turns and stops once 98 enters Alabama. Once you get to Lucedale on 98 take 63 south to I-10. A straight shot and only a few stops. It may cost a few more minutes of time but it helps make the trip smoother.

I haven't had enough trips to WDW yet to have a real tradition, but when traveling in general we like to get up early and depart before sunrise. At the airport in Houston I get my breakfast taco of potato and egg and green chili and a Starbuck's cappuccino or espresso. We tried getting a taco from the counter here at our home airport but at 5 am the food was lousy and the girl was on crack as my hubby (who was still asleep) handed her his driver's license instead of debit card and she tried numerous times to scan it. Even when we told her we had given her the wrong card, she continued trying and ignored us. Next time I want to run by the doughnut shop and pick up some spicy jalapeno sausage kolaches and some plain sausage kolaches as Houston is still a long wait for an empty tummy that is starving now. I can always get a taco later too.

Love this thread! Even though I always think things will be different every trip...it always starts out the same...lol.

-We use Park, Sleep, and Fly at an Indianapolis Hotel.
-We always take one of the first flights out on either Airtran or Southwest.
-My darling hubby yells at me that we don't need to be at the airport at least 2 hours ahead of time, but yet we always get there at least 1 1/2 hours much to his dismay.
-We eat a bagel everytime, and I drink a huge bottle of water, even though DH warns me about having to use the bathroom multiple times.
-I start to pace and use the restroom at least 5-6 times as I hate the tiny bathrooms on the airplane.
-My darling DH makes an announcement to everyone around us the last time I go to the bathroom, that it needs to be the last so we can board the plane! :lmao:
-Once we start to take of he grabs my hand and kisses my nose and says "Off to the happy place, lets have a wonderful time!"

No matter who is with us, or if we are by ourselves, it is the same everytime. I don't think I will get my nose kissed in 14 days, as I will be sitting in the middle of our eleven year old niece and nephew. However, I know that he will say it to me before we take off....I think I like the beginning the best, you have so much excitement and joy for the upcoming trip!

In recent years we have flown for our WDW trips. It is about a 10 hour drive from where we are in NC. I don't mind the drive; it's just that we discovered that it is like saving two whole days (one each way) if we fly instead of drive. So when we have a trip plan I start watching the internet like a hawk to find best airfare rates.

If flying Southwest out of Raleigh, we typically depart around 8am. If flying another airline out of Charlotte it is later in the morning. Either way it is a nice and easy ~90 minute flight to MCO. The kids and I read magazines and listen to iPods on the plane; DW does her cross stitch or reads.
DME usually delivers us to our resort (varies as to which one; we like to try them all) in time for lunch. We grab a bite at the food court then head to MK.
We always do MK first, and are happy as a bunch of little kids by the time we get through those magic gates. First attraction is Haunted Mansion.

In a general sense. I think we're almost the opposite of having hard traditions.

Perhaps the one hard tradition we stick to is GOING TO WDW.

Otherwise we're always trying to improve how we tour WDW, and to make each trip unique in some way. Whatever it is, if it's new, it's going to be a highlight of sorts - so we atually try to AVOID doing the same thing every visit.

I am partial to :mickeybar 's! I suppose that is ONE tradition I hold to on most visits.

Another tradition we have is to jokingly recall some of the things that made past trips special - or trying- with just a word.

Some jokes are about times when family members felt under the weather, and how that impacted our experience. Other jokes involve times when a family member lost their cool, but said something really funny as a result. Now that thsoe times have passed, we can laugh about them.

So that's the biggest part of our tradidtion - going to WDW as a family. We've been doing that off and on since 1972. Going to WDW is almost as much about current fun, as it is about being together as family, and recalling many shared memories.

We drive from western new york ( i prefer driving over flying)

we always pack the suv the night before.
we leave as soon as we get out of work ( usually around 3pm)
we head to panera and pick up dinner for later and hit the road.
we stop for breakfast around 6 am
we check into the swan or dolphin and hit dtd while waiting for our room.we get our earl fix and then usually around noon can get into our room.
we drop our stuff off and head into epcot
on the last day we have lunch at via napoli then stop by dtd and get earl for the ride home

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter