Your Resort Choice

We keep upgrading-yikes! Before kids, stayed offsite 2xs. When kids were 7 yr & 9 yr I had a conference held @ the Hilton @ DTD. Got some of the perks of onsite but paid a lot less because of the conference. This time we decided to splurge & stay onsite. Started with CSR (kids are almost 18 & 20 now)and we were happy with the choice. Then I was reading the boards here and looked at the BC & SAB. Showed DH, told him 10 min walk to Epcot. He said change it and did SV room. Summer discount came out, changed to BC LV CL. Biggest reason is location, ammenities & trying to relax & not commando a vacation for once. Probably driving my TA nuts!!

The Poly is my favorite, but the ongoing construction has led us to choose different resorts for our trips this year.

In May, we're staying at AKL, because we've always heard WONDERFUL things about it, but have never experienced it for ourselves. I love the theme, the amenities, and the on-site restaurants, which I am excited to try. We've booked a Savannah View room & are so looking forward to seeing what wanders by.

In December, we're staying at AoA. We rarely choose Values but we're taking the Poly construction as a good reason to try something we probably would NEVER try otherwise, and this is it! :) The rooms look fun & colorful and I'm thrilled that AoA has its own bus - if it shared a bus with another resort, I don't think I would stay there.

It really depends on your party and what you plan to do. For me, personally, I would not choose a resort that was not on the monorail if I was traveling with small children. Our May trip is going to have some downtime at night, so it's important for us to have a resort we'd feel comfortable relaxing in; our December trip is going to be full of Christmas events at night and we won't have children with us, so a good pool area isn't required and we really just need a place to sleep.

If you plan to spend a lot of time in your room/relaxing at your resort, you will be very comfortable at BCV.

The 1999 trip was a birthday gift for me from Mom & Dad, and I was told to pick any resort I wanted. No contest, BC - I thought it was beautiful, and loved the idea of being right outside Epcot. BC is still probably where I would stay more often than not if money were no object. Some of my favorite days at WDW are spent going back and forth between Epcot and DHS, and I love planning lots of meals at World Showcase (TS and CS). I would not object to YC or BWI, but I just think the BC is so pretty.

In 2004, after my Mom passed, Dad took Sis & me back to WDW (his first and only time). He booked a package through AAA and at the time they were out of availability at the Epcot resorts. I remember the day he called me at work and said, "They have the Polynesian, is that good?" We stayed at the Poly, and it was nice, I see why people love it, but I still prefer BC and the Epcot area. I'll never forget, we went to Cape May for dinner, and the moment we walked into the BC lobby, my Dad took one look around and said, "Ohhh, I wish we could have stayed here!"

Dad's gone, too, now. I think my sister may come back with me someday, but WDW is less of a priority for her vacation time/$$$, so in 2012 I started going solo. It was my first solo vacation anywhere, ever (and I am not young), so I booked BC because it was familiar and I knew I loved it. I had such a great trip, I wanted to do the same thing every year - but if I was serious about annual trips, I was going to have to look at staying somewhere less expensive.

For my 2013 trip, I looked long and hard at the Moderates. CBR was out at once; I didn't want to be on the ground floor, and I wanted at least the choice of using an elevator. Didn't care for the looks of CSR and didn't like the idea of it being a convention resort and more "adult." (Weird for a solo adult, I know.) I looked seriously at POR, but I was really drawn to POFQ - it's "pretty" and "charming," two words that go a long way with me, and I really liked the idea of the smaller size and manicured grounds. (I know a lot of people like the more rustic/natural feel of POR, but I am not at all outdoorsy and POFQ is more to my taste.) First stay at POFQ in 2013 was so great, I went back this year and loved it again! I even had a ground floor room this time and didn't mind it at all. POFQ is going to be my resort of choice until such time that I decide to splurge on BC again.

Our next trip is currently over Memorial Weekend (it may change) and the 4 of us are going which means we needed a suite with a minimum of 3 comfortable sleeping spaces.

We stayed at ASMu in a family suite last time and it was ok so we decided to try a family suite at AoA.
The teens need their own beds and having 2 bathrooms and 2 TV's is a lifesaver.

I can't rent points because our vacation dates are moving targets so that removes all DVC out of the resort running.

Here is a blog dedicated to uniting middle-aged fans of Disney.
http://**************.com

french quarter , stayed 8 times .love the river and the boat ride to downtown dis .smallest resort. hot tub always empty. just a great place.use to be best kept secret but cat got out of the bag

This is us too :thumbsup2 We are coming up to stay #8 too! We've stayed at other resorts (Pop, BC, AS sports) but we always return to POFQ. When we stay at another resort we regret not staying at POFQ.
It's budget friendly, compact and has a relaxing / vacation type feel away from the parks. The beignets are good and we also like to walk to PORS for variety. The bus to DTD is so nice to ride.
Shhh ... try to keep the secret:)

I've stayed several different places, but in our upcoming trip my Disney Partner in Crime (my dear mother) and I splurged for the BC. In prior trips we've done offsite and POR. My father, who used to join us, preferred the offsite/Downtown Disney Doubletree, which had a free bus to the parks while he went and did his own thing. Once my mother and I started going ourselves we knew we wanted to stay on property. We chose POR and stayed their three times, always in Magnolia Bend. Our last trip we booked Royal Guest Rooms.

We loved the resort and its themeing. The last time we were there in January 2013, the bus situation wasn't bad at all and I seem to remember POR having its own bus the majority of the time. I feel like it didn't take us more than twenty minutes to get to any park, though busses were always slammed in evenings when the parks closed. Taking the boat down to DTD was relaxing, if a bit chilly in the evening, and preferred to the buses (which we had to do once on account of weather). We definitely felt like we could relax back at the hotel if we did not want to spend time in the parks.

This time around we wanted a change of scenery and priced it out. Changing from the Royal Guest Rooms at POR to a Deluxe resort was only a couple of hundred dollars difference for 8 nights after we factored in the unique offer/PIN code I was given. We settled on the Beach Club after our first choice (Wilderness Lodge) was unavailable. We like to spend time at the resort and although we aren't on the monorail, there is close proximity to two parks (one of which, MGM/HS is my favorite) so that is a definite plus. Although I didn't research like crazy until AFTER I booked, I think we're going to be incredibly happy with the choice and will have a hard time going back to a moderate after.

As for having to decide what resort to choose, I really think you need to figure out what your family wants to do/likes to do. Deluxes are great for proximity to the parks, but if you're not going to be spending a lot of time in your rooms/at the hotel, I don't know if you really want to spend the hundreds of dollars a night there.

Our original first choice was the Pop Century. We've stayed there several times before, and we love it. We also love the price. And the busses. And DME. And the way people decorate their windows. Basically everything about it. :thumbsup2 But, then again, the only other place we've stayed on property is the Beach Club, and that was for a conference. We won't be staying at Deluxe prices until maybe our 25th wedding anniversary, when we might be inclined to splurge.

As per usual this far out (our trip isn't until April), I booked full rack rate at the Pop, figuring I'd call back when the discounts came out. But my husband got a PIN in his inbox, so I called Disney, hoping maybe we could get a good discount on the Pop.

Well, there were none available for the Pop. The nice lady on the phone made some other suggestions, and we were like, "Nah, too expensive." Then she said, "Well, I've got Coronado Springs, and it's only a hundred dollars more than you're paying for Pop."

So we jumped on it. As my husband said, "This may be our only opportunity to try a moderate, and it will be our 20th wedding anniversary after all."

And that was that!

Sort of like rolling dice, I guess, but I'm sure we'll have a terrific time. :goodvibes

while a tough question, really there is no wrong answer. I remember splurging for our first family trip (my wife and first child that is) for the Poly...went a few years later and stayed at POFQ and the wife tells me she liked it more!!!

I do like the Poly and Contemp for the nostalgia. The WL is great as well. I had always thought the GF would feel to stuffy- but I truly enjoyed our last stay there (though I am now in my mid 40s and can ALMOST afford it).

all in all my favorites are the Yacht and Beach Club. I treat them as 1 resort- I'll use both lobbies, both sets of lounges etc. I prefer the lobby of the YC because it doesn't have the perennial smell of cape may buffet wafting across it.

The rooms are nice, if not quite up to the GF. The pool is the best. the ability to walk to epcot or HS - or take a water taxi is great.

You have all the dining options of both resorts, along with the boardwalk, dolphin and swan available. Quick service options are limited however.

but the best park- dusk and dawn...take a walk at dusk- there will be a stream of people heading to EPCOT for illuminations, the lights on the boardwalk across the lake start to light up...families are hanging around....playing...talking...it really does feel like you've gone 100 years back in time for a moment. Then get up the next morning to grab some coffee-walk by steamrolling bay before it's open and just enjoy the views again,.

Update on my last Aug trip, we ended up switching from Poly to GF!! After we heard Poly main pool was closing due to construction in August :beach: we switched. Way too hot in August to be without feature pool.

Looking forward to our POR stay next month, and we booked Poly for this August!

Thanks for link on mature mouse, lol. Going to check it out! :upsidedow

For ambiance, dining, and that magical monorail Disney feel-Grand Floridian.

For longer trips with park hopper tix, good access to Epcot's fabulous dining and a good location to get back to the room for kids afternoon naps-Beach Club!

For saving $$ on a good discount, great theming, and a larger group-Cabins at Fort Wilderness.

Wilderness lodge- rustic feel, proximity to MK by boat, pool and activities. Great place for 4 young boys. Always wanted to stay at GF however doesn't seem to be as kid friendly as the other resorts. More for adults/teens. Stayed at poly once, liked be close to transportation center however was far away from main building. Stayed once at POR Riverside, too many people for our liking.

As a newbie, visiting WDW for the first time in June, I've gained a wealth of information from these posts.

I thought people would appreciate hearing the why behind a specific Disney resort choice. Your resort choice adds another layer to your overall Disney experience. As a newbie, visiting WDW for the first time in June, I've gained a wealth of information from these posts.

My wife and I originally wanted to stay at the Grand Floridian, but the costs was way beyond our budget. After discussions with our TA, we chose the Beach Club Villas because of the proximity to Epcot, Stormalong Bay, the theming, and the type of room. We are going with a studio, which is a little larger, with a kitchenette and sitting area.

Which Disney resort have you booked for your next WDW vacation, and why?

We're staying at Beach Club Resort in January! That will be my first time staying there. Going with DH, who lets just say, isn't a Disney fan. I convinced him to go to Epcot (he's never been) but there's not enough booze or money in the state of Florida to get him to come with me to magic kingdom :sad2:... That being said I was looking for a good hotel to keep him entertained on the day I go solo to MK.

BC appealed to us bc of the pool and proximity to boardwalk. Also, it's closer to the world showcase, where we can walk to, and where I anticipate us to be spending our time at epcot.

I think all the disney resorts offer magic! Anywhere you stay, just remember to enjoy the surroundings :-)

I suppose my favorite is a dead giveaway based on my signature. We are going again in April-May 2015 and again staying at OKW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter