Your Opinions On My Family Situation (Long, With Lots Of Background)

rastahomie

Registered
TLDR: My mom wants to take me and my wife to Disneyworld, my wife doesn't want to go because she doesn't like my mom.

Longer Version:

My wife simply does not like my mother. She loves her, in the sense that a daughter-in-law loves her mother-in-law out of duty, and she doesn't wish ill upon her, and she's polite to her. But she simply does not like her.

Here's what you need to know about my mother. She is a conservative, uptight church lady who can be racist and judgmental. When she's not being racist and judgmental, however, she is kind, loving, generous to a fault. That she favors my brother is no secret; he is a church-going family man with four kids, and mom is all about church and the grandkids.

My wife and I, however, are not like my brother and my sister-in-law. We weren't able to have kids. Neither of us has seen the inside of a church in ten years. Les is continuing to search for her path, and right now is really into the spirituality of nature - stones and crystals and such. I just prefer to smoke my... not tobacco - and not think about it.

Needless to say, this has caused no end of consternation to my mom, and more than once, she's said something inappropriate or hateful or whatever, stopped talking me to a few days, and then forgotten about it. I've learned to accept that this is just how my relationship with my mom is, and not try to change something that isn't going to change. My wife, however, just refuses to accept this. She says my mom needs to be held accountable for the way she treats me, that I need to not let her "walk all over me like that," and so on.

Anyway, my mom has decided that she wants to take me and Les to Disneyworld next December. She's paying for everything but liquor and souvenirs. She and my stepdad would stay in their camper at Ft. Wilderness while putting up me and Les at Pop Century.

Needless to say, I'm all about it, but Les wants no part of it. She says that having my mom around would ruin Disneyworld for her, that she wouldn't feel right about my mom spending so much money, etc. She wants me to tell my mom "thanks but no thanks."

What say you?

TLDR: My mom wants to take me and my wife to Disneyworld, my wife doesn't want to go because she doesn't like my mom.

Longer Version:

My wife simply does not like my mother. She loves her, in the sense that a daughter-in-law loves her mother-in-law out of duty, and she doesn't wish ill upon her, and she's polite to her. But she simply does not like her.

Here's what you need to know about my mother. She is a conservative, uptight church lady who can be racist and judgmental. When she's not being racist and judgmental, however, she is kind, loving, generous to a fault. That she favors my brother is no secret; he is a church-going family man with four kids, and mom is all about church and the grandkids.

My wife and I, however, are not like my brother and my sister-in-law. We weren't able to have kids. Neither of us has seen the inside of a church in ten years. Les is continuing to search for her path, and right now is really into the spirituality of nature - stones and crystals and such. I just prefer to smoke my... not tobacco - and not think about it.

Needless to say, this has caused no end of consternation to my mom, and more than once, she's said something inappropriate or hateful or whatever, stopped talking me to a few days, and then forgotten about it. I've learned to accept that this is just how my relationship with my mom is, and not try to change something that isn't going to change. My wife, however, just refuses to accept this. She says my mom needs to be held accountable for the way she treats me, that I need to not let her "walk all over me like that," and so on.

Anyway, my mom has decided that she wants to take me and Les to Disneyworld next December. She's paying for everything but liquor and souvenirs. She and my stepdad would stay in their camper at Ft. Wilderness while putting up me and Les at Pop Century.

Needless to say, I'm all about it, but Les wants no part of it. She says that having my mom around would ruin Disneyworld for her, that she wouldn't feel right about my mom spending so much money, etc. She wants me to tell my mom "thanks but no thanks."

What say you?
Doesn't sound like a good match to me.

I wouldn't vacation with a racist, or someone who was unkind (or judgemental) to my spouse, or someone who truly believes that their religion makes them much better than everyone else.
I'd save my money for a happy vacation with my spouse and not invite the unwelcome drama.

I say do the bidding of thy wife.:duck:

Flat out though, if she isn't comfortable and it will upset her a lot, I would politely decline the invitation. I know if my husband's family (different situation...they don't speak to us) acted that way and my husband chose what they wanted over what I wanted...it would feel like he didn't care about my feelings.

Is politely declining going to destroy the relationship you have with your parents?

I am curious as to why your mother wants to do this. Do you have any idea what is motivating her offer?

Second question: can you afford WDW on your own? Is this the only way you could get there?

I am curious as to why your mother wants to do this. Do you have any idea what is motivating her offer?

Second question: can you afford WDW on your own? Is this the only way you could get there?

First question: She told me that she feels guilty because they're always spending money on the grandkids, but since we don't have kids for them to spoil, she wants to do something nice for us.

Second question: Yes and no. I'm self-employed, so my income is feast-or-famine. I've been in "famine" mode for the past few months, and if it continues like this, I'll be lucky to get out of Missouri let alone to Disneyworld. BUT, things could turn around before I'm done writing this post, and I could start putting back money for the Grand Floridian. So who knows?

It just sounds like an awful lot of pressure waiting to explode.

I'd suggest to your Mom that you as a family start with a nice one or two night weekend trip somewhere and leave the full blown extravaganza for that time in the future where you all learn to co-exist with no bloodshed.

First question: She told me that she feels guilty because they're always spending money on the grandkids, but since we don't have kids for them to spoil, she wants to do something nice for us.

Second question: Yes and no. I'm self-employed, so my income is feast-or-famine. I've been in "famine" mode for the past few months, and if it continues like this, I'll be lucky to get out of Missouri let alone to Disneyworld. BUT, things could turn around before I'm done writing this post, and I could start putting back money for the Grand Floridian. So who knows?

Sounds like a better "something nice for you" might be a contribution to your retirement fund.

Probably. Mom can be a histrionic drama queen.

Maybe you could agree but change the terms. Like go with them for a couple days but then leave and do something alone with your wife for a couple days. Something special she likes to do. I know you mentioned your feast or famine job. Is it possible to come up with somewhere you could go for a short alone vacation after family time so there is a compromise?

That sounds like a rough spot to be in. Family drama.

Take a lovely vacation with your wife alone and nicely tell your Mom that the timing of the trip is not good for both of you right now. Maybe another time things might be better between you, your wife, and your Mom. Vacations are meant to be HAPPY and to relax. If both of you can't enjoy a vacation with your Mom, then it really isn't a vacation unfortunately. HOPE IT WORKS OUT!:goodvibes::yes::

OP, most everyone here is right.
Your wife is right...
With such major differences of personalities and opinions, it just is not a good idea, at all, so spend time traveling together.

I would find a way to decline the trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter