Your Ideal Vacation with a 3.5 year old

81felgs

Earning My Ears
We are planning on going to Disney in December of 2010 for one week with my DD who will be 3.5 at that time. If you were planning this trip, what would be your ideal vacation/itinerary including places to stay, eat and things to do? Let me preface by saying that my DD doesn't like when characters come up to her or fireworks. Now this may change by next year...so I will take character breakfasts, lunch or dinner suggestions since we might try one to see how it goes.

We are planning on going to Disney in December of 2010 for one week with my DD who will be 3.5 at that time. If you were planning this trip, what would be your ideal vacation/itinerary including places to stay, eat and things to do? Let me preface by saying that my DD doesn't like when characters come up to her or fireworks. Now this may change by next year...so I will take character breakfasts, lunch or dinner suggestions since we might try one to see how it goes.

Not sure what your budget is....I'd stay at Poly, Beach Club or Animal Kingdom if you are looking deluxe - POFR or CBR for moderate or POP for value. At 3.5 my DD loved all the parks. Some favorite rides/attractions:

MK - Dumbo, Peter Pan, Pooh, Barnstormer, Poohs Playground, Story Time with Belle, TTA, Buzz, Teacups
Epcot - Nemo, Figment, Test Track
DHS - Toy Story, Beauty and Beast Show, Honey I Shrunk Kids Playground
AK - Safari, Dino Spin (like Dumbo), Boneyard Playground, Conservation Station (pet the goats)

Food:

If she ends up loving the princesses, I'd highly recommend dining in Norway (Akershus??). You get picture with a princess and meet four during dinner. Other than that we are not really the sit down type and my kids prefer to eat by the pool or in the room. We often eat dinner on the Boardwalk.

Other stuff:

Given the time of year, swimming might be out. Downtown Disney is fun. The Boardwalk comes alive with performers at night and Beach Club shows movies on the beach and has campfires every night (another plus for staying in the Epcot resort area

I love the Epcot resorts, as you can walk to Epcot and DHS, plus there are several resorts right there to walk to for dining and entertainment (BC, YC, BW, and the Swan and Dolphin). So I love staying there.

First time we took just DS (for only 3 nights) we stayed at the GF. Really, being on the monorail was convenient, but when we stayed next time at the BWV, having the kitchen and washer/dryer plus the location sold us on that area!

My DD didn't like the characters either, so we didn't do a lot of interaction with them. We did end up at one breakfast (which wasn't planned) but we didn't really interact with the characters much - she was a bit scared of them. I wouldn't push that.

I don't know your budget, but really we've enjoyed every trip so much. Just don't worry if you don't do everything you want to. It's a big place, and there is so much to do and see. Some trips have been very low budget (stayed at the Swan on points, and had AP's for our tickets, so just meals and transport, and when I go without DH we don't do many sit down meals).

My kids always loved the MK (early morning is best) and Epcot WS is so nice to walk around. Oh, heck, it's all nice.

We took ds when he was just turning 3. We definitely didn't plan enough resort/pool time, so I'd suggest that. If I had to do it again I'd plan only to about 1pm in the parks every day, returning to the resort to play/nap at our leisure and then perhaps doing something in the evening OR for every full park day I'd plan a non-park day. And I hated having ADRs. We felt rushed and pressured, couldn't just 'go with the flow' for our son. I'd keep it all really loose.

ETA: We DID do rope drop in the mornings and that WAS good. Less crowded. And ds doesn't like characters (or didn't then) but he was fine with the meals. We loved Crystal Palace and Hollywood & Vine.

be sure to have plenty of rest time. DD was just over 2 when we first took her and we arrived on a Sunday and on Thursday we left. She was throwing up on the ay to the airport. I feel form over stimulation and and lack of sleep. We took her the same week the next year. Arrived on a Sunday and went home on Firday...on thursday of that trip she was throwing up again. We went this past March, 1 week later than the 2 previous trips, arrived on a Sunday, and left on Sat...and took it slower, and she was fine.
We like character meals. She hated Santa, and would scream, but a few months later, she was fine with the characters.
Have your DD watch lots of movies to get familiar with the characters. They have some sing alongs that have the live characters in them. They are favorites here. Also watch the planning CD.
BBB was a hit for DD this past year. We also enjoy the parades. She loves most rides, but is a bit creeped out with pirates and Haunted Mansion. We totally skipped Haunted mansion last trip.
Try something like Akershus, with Princesses. They will seem less scary than a giant mouse. LOL!
Also, pool time, no matter how cold it is, may be perfect. My DD wnet our first trip only once in the pool and it was quite chilly, but one of her most memorable things about the trip. The last 2 trips, we requested poolside rooms (at Pop) and we alot more swimming (the weather was warmer though too) If I can get DH to take a longer trip, I am going to try to schedule jsut one down day, with pool and relaxing. This is a favorite for her.
We stayed at Pop. We would love to do deluxe, but can't justify the money, since we are not in the room alot to begin with. Pop is very fun for little ones. Buses ran smoothly and we thoroughly enjoy it.
We also do the dining plan. We enjoy that as well. We like a table service each day and it's good for relaxing.
My DD is a lte nighter and likes to sleep in, so we tried to work with that. We tried to let her sleep as late as possible, and not wake her if possible. This past trip worked the best for that. Knowing that, we only scheduled one breakfast, and chose the latest seating they had.
If you have any more questions, ask away!

We're going with DD 4 in 28 days. The only thing I booked was mostly lunch ADRs and one breakfast. That way if she's too overstimulated by all the running, we can head back to the resort after lunch and chill out and not be pressed to leave again for dinner. I only did two ADRs for dinner and one is the first night in the castle so that won't be a big deal, and the 2nd night...I figure after that, she'll need some down time so I only booked lunches after that to allow us to sleep in and not rush and down time afterwards if she needs it.

When we took our DS at 1 1/2 he was afraid of the characters in costume but we found that he was much better with those like Mary Poppins. We did the 1900 Park Fare breakfast and he was great with all those characters-the Mad Hatter, Mary Poppins and Alice and the food was excellent.

Other family character meals places to eat are: LTT in MK and Garden Grill @ the Land in Epcot

As far as resorts, we stay at POP when we go.

One attraction that our son loved was the Tiki Room with all the birds too.

We went when DS was barely 3 years old and DD was 2 months old. And then again when DS was 3.5 years old and DD was 9 months old. We're headed back and the kids ages are now 6.5, 3.5, and 11 months. So, going with a 3 year old couldn't have been *that* bad! (Though the 3 year old was far more challenging than the baby on our other two trips).

We don't do characters unless there's no line and it's just going up to shake their hand or something. My kids aren't really into them. My oldest wasn't scared by them but he didn't quite get the point of them. This is a kid who knew that it was just regular people dressed up though. My daughter is now 3.5 and she does get a little nervous when she sees someone dressed up - like Santa or one of the librarians in a costume, etc. She knows that there's a person under there too but it still makes her a bit nervous. I love that we don't have to spend our time on character meals and waiting in lines to get autographs!

We used to stay off-site. But on-site is very much worth it with young kids. We did The Dolphin and then RPR at Universal for our last trip and it worked out very well. There are a slew of hotels that will work out fine. 3 year olds aren't very picky about hotels. We do build in one day just for pools when we switch hotels. It's too tough to fit the pool in for us on park days. But others find a way!

We found rides to be a toss up. Our son had been rather daring before our trip. He was barely 40" at 3 and suddenly was scared of going on any ride that he couldn't see what it did beforehand. He also hates loud noises. Bring earplugs. Even things like the Lion King show are way too loud - it's not just fireworks. We did enjoy the fireworks from a distance with him. At 3, he wouldn't even do the Little Mermaid since he couldnt' see what it did from the outside! He was only marginally better at 3.5, and he was 42". Park hopper saved us a couple of times - like when we planned DHS but he wouldn't go on anything so we hopped and the day was saved. For our next trip, the 3.5 year old is a smidge under 40" in sneakers. If your child is 40" then there's a lot more rides she may be able to go on physically. But like my first child, that doesn't mean she's ready emotionally!

I was quite surprised but Epcot was the clear winner of all the Disney parks on both trips with our oldest at 3 years old. (We skipped the World Showcase part both times). MK was the second favorite of the Disney Parks. (IOA/US were also a great success). DHS was a disaster both trips for us and AK was loved by him but it wasn't an entire day. It really depends on your child.

*We eat breakfast in our room with food brought from home and do counter service in the parks for lunch. Dinner depends on what time we leave the park. We found it's best to not take a break and just leave when it seems like it's time - which was around the dinner hour on our last two trips. We would sometimes go out to a salad buffet place outside the park. Sometimes dinner was counter service in the parks. And sometimes, we'd go back to the room and my husband would go out and bring take-out to the room while we relaxed and winded down before bedtime. We did eat dinner in our hotel restuarant once. And though the food was fine, it was much more difficult than being able to relax in our room before bedtime.

I would get to the parks early-I'm sure she is up early anyway. If you are light breakfast eaters, I would book a late breakfast/early lunch ADR. Akershus is great for princesses and it includes the photos. If your daughter sleeps in the stroller-great don't bother heading back to the resort. If she won't sleep in it then make plans to return to the resort for a nap.

I found with my niece, if I took her back for a nap she would either fall asleep on the bus to the resort, not nap at the resort or she would fall asleep on the bus ride back to the park. The time away from the park was a fair amount with a nap back at the resort. I just let her crash in the stroller-it saved us so much time and I was still able to wander around and enjoy the park.

I however did have a good stroller for her to nap in. I bought a Perego P3 which reclines and has a good sun shade on it. If you don't have a stroller start looking now as the rental prices are quite expensive. I'm sure you can get a good second hand one if you need one, otherwise I recommend www.albeebaby.com They were great and shipped my stroller to the resort.

I found doing about 3 days of parks and then taking a day off worked well. Since you are going for a week - instead maybe go for the morning and then hang out at the resort every 3rd day.

MK and AK were her favorite parks.

I'm asssuming you want to stay on property only. If so, I would rent DVC. I've never enjoyed a hotel room with toddlers. It's so much nicer for them to have the room to feel like they are "home". Plus, a full kitchen to make favorite foods and a washer and dryer seal the deal for us.

Have fun. Our daughter is now 4 and absolutely went crazy last year over the princesses and characters. The character interactions can go both ways at 3. I highly recommend the Cinderella meal at the Grand Floridian. It was a great way to meet Cinderella without the crowds. However, I will admit the stepmother was a little scary. My daughter wasn't impressed with Prince Charming but hopped into Jack Sparrow's lap at the Pirates/Princess Party when she was 2. He was offering her jewels. LOL!

Have fun! Three is a magical age at Disney! Actually, every age is a magical age at Disney!

be sure to have plenty of rest time. DD was just over 2 when we first took her and we arrived on a Sunday and on Thursday we left. She was throwing up on the ay to the airport. I feel form over stimulation and and lack of sleep. We took her the same week the next year. Arrived on a Sunday and went home on Firday...on thursday of that trip she was throwing up again. We went this past March, 1 week later than the 2 previous trips, arrived on a Sunday, and left on Sat...and took it slower, and she was fine.
We like character meals. She hated Santa, and would scream, but a few months later, she was fine with the characters.
Have your DD watch lots of movies to get familiar with the characters. They have some sing alongs that have the live characters in them. They are favorites here. Also watch the planning CD.
BBB was a hit for DD this past year. We also enjoy the parades. She loves most rides, but is a bit creeped out with pirates and Haunted Mansion. We totally skipped Haunted mansion last trip.
Try something like Akershus, with Princesses. They will seem less scary than a giant mouse. LOL!
Also, pool time, no matter how cold it is, may be perfect. My DD wnet our first trip only once in the pool and it was quite chilly, but one of her most memorable things about the trip. The last 2 trips, we requested poolside rooms (at Pop) and we alot more swimming (the weather was warmer though too) If I can get DH to take a longer trip, I am going to try to schedule jsut one down day, with pool and relaxing. This is a favorite for her.
We stayed at Pop. We would love to do deluxe, but can't justify the money, since we are not in the room alot to begin with. Pop is very fun for little ones. Buses ran smoothly and we thoroughly enjoy it.
We also do the dining plan. We enjoy that as well. We like a table service each day and it's good for relaxing.
My DD is a lte nighter and likes to sleep in, so we tried to work with that. We tried to let her sleep as late as possible, and not wake her if possible. This past trip worked the best for that. Knowing that, we only scheduled one breakfast, and chose the latest seating they had.
If you have any more questions, ask away!

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I like the Akershus idea where we would be visited by the Princesses. Less intimidating. I also like other poster's ideas about the parade.

We took ds when he was just turning 3. We definitely didn't plan enough resort/pool time, so I'd suggest that. If I had to do it again I'd plan only to about 1pm in the parks every day, returning to the resort to play/nap at our leisure and then perhaps doing something in the evening OR for every full park day I'd plan a non-park day. And I hated having ADRs. We felt rushed and pressured, couldn't just 'go with the flow' for our son. I'd keep it all really loose.

ETA: We DID do rope drop in the mornings and that WAS good. Less crowded. And ds doesn't like characters (or didn't then) but he was fine with the meals. We loved Crystal Palace and Hollywood & Vine.

Yes...this! When we go on vacation..we always do something in the morning and then come back for lunch and to nap (but probably wont be napping at 3.5)...but we will rest for a little. Maybe hang by the pool if the weather is nice enough? We also plan days where we have a full day of something and then a rest day....so good idea! Thanks. What are ADR's? :confused:

We went when DS was barely 3 years old and DD was 2 months old. And then again when DS was 3.5 years old and DD was 9 months old. We're headed back and the kids ages are now 6.5, 3.5, and 11 months. So, going with a 3 year old couldn't have been *that* bad! (Though the 3 year old was far more challenging than the baby on our other two trips).

We don't do characters unless there's no line and it's just going up to shake their hand or something. My kids aren't really into them. My oldest wasn't scared by them but he didn't quite get the point of them. This is a kid who knew that it was just regular people dressed up though. My daughter is now 3.5 and she does get a little nervous when she sees someone dressed up - like Santa or one of the librarians in a costume, etc. She knows that there's a person under there too but it still makes her a bit nervous. I love that we don't have to spend our time on character meals and waiting in lines to get autographs!

We used to stay off-site. But on-site is very much worth it with young kids. We did The Dolphin and then RPR at Universal for our last trip and it worked out very well. There are a slew of hotels that will work out fine. 3 year olds aren't very picky about hotels. We do build in one day just for pools when we switch hotels. It's too tough to fit the pool in for us on park days. But others find a way!

We found rides to be a toss up. Our son had been rather daring before our trip. He was barely 40" at 3 and suddenly was scared of going on any ride that he couldn't see what it did beforehand. He also hates loud noises. Bring earplugs. Even things like the Lion King show are way too loud - it's not just fireworks. We did enjoy the fireworks from a distance with him. At 3, he wouldn't even do the Little Mermaid since he couldnt' see what it did from the outside! He was only marginally better at 3.5, and he was 42". Park hopper saved us a couple of times - like when we planned DHS but he wouldn't go on anything so we hopped and the day was saved. For our next trip, the 3.5 year old is a smidge under 40" in sneakers. If your child is 40" then there's a lot more rides she may be able to go on physically. But like my first child, that doesn't mean she's ready emotionally!

I was quite surprised but Epcot was the clear winner of all the Disney parks on both trips with our oldest at 3 years old. (We skipped the World Showcase part both times). MK was the second favorite of the Disney Parks. (IOA/US were also a great success). DHS was a disaster both trips for us and AK was loved by him but it wasn't an entire day. It really depends on your child.

*We eat breakfast in our room with food brought from home and do counter service in the parks for lunch. Dinner depends on what time we leave the park. We found it's best to not take a break and just leave when it seems like it's time - which was around the dinner hour on our last two trips. We would sometimes go out to a salad buffet place outside the park. Sometimes dinner was counter service in the parks. And sometimes, we'd go back to the room and my husband would go out and bring take-out to the room while we relaxed and winded down before bedtime. We did eat dinner in our hotel restuarant once. And though the food was fine, it was much more difficult than being able to relax in our room before bedtime.

Right now DD takes a few bites of her food and then she's off to the races! So great suggestion to bring food back to the room and wind down before bed.

We have some experience with this...we went with my daughter right before her 3rd birthday and again 3 months later. Our vacation included:
*staying on-site at a deluxe resort **
*bringing our own light-weight stroller
*packing healthy snacks for line waits (that don't melt)
*only did 2 parks on our first visit because we had 4 days
*for the most part what she wanted when she wanted
*getting up early and going to bed early (following our home routine)

**The first time at the Contemporary resort-great because we walked to the MK and took the monorail back
The second time- the wilderness lodge- great because you can take the boat (my daughter liked this as much as some rides:rotfl:)

She loved the rides and characters but did not like fireworks so it helped us go to bed early each day.

My dream preschooler vacation for a little girl?

• Staying at Poly or Beach Club
  • Tea with Alice at GF
  • Storytime with Belle at MK
  • Character meal at 1900 Park Faire (GF), CRT (MK), or Akershaus (EP) depending on who our favorite girls are at the time!
  • Maybe see if any of the spas allow girls that young to have nails painted for mommy and me time

There is BBB but I think I'd rather do the other stuff we could do together.

Your DD may do okay with the human characters vs. those with the character heads, so the princesses, fairies, and Peter Pan, Alice, etc may be more inviting as they look like you and me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter