Your five year old's favorite things to do at Magic Kingdom

flowergleam1211

Mouseketeer
Hello! My twin children turn six years old in December and I am tentatively planning a trip in the fall. For those of you who have taken your child at age 5 to Magic Kingdom, what were their favorite things to do?

Not all 5 year olds are the same, but mine loved the carousel more than anything else. At hollywood studios, her favorite thing was those alien sliding saucers.

My kids are a fair bit older now, but they always loved the following:

Pirates of the Caribbean
Enchanted Tiki Room
Country Bear Jamboree
Tom Sawyer Island
The Haunted Mansion
Liberty Square Riverboat
Dumbo
It's a small world
Peter Pan's Flight
Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
Journey of the Little Mermaid
Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin
Tomorrowland Speedway
PeopleMover
Carousel of Progress

True, not all 5 year olds are the same. Mine were big for their age, boys, and loved thrills like BTMRR, SM, Pirates, jungle cruise, country bears, Tom Sawyer island, haunted mansion, Buzz light year space ranger spin, mikes laugh floor, barnstormer, philharmagic, Peter Pan, it’s a small world, 7DMT. Everything else was just filler attractions but they were past being impressed with a lot of the dark rides. (Doesn’t mean they didn’t enjoy them though)
ETA- holy crap almost forgot- probably their biggest thrill at age 5 (more so than even rides) was meeting characters and getting autographs. We spent a lot of time on this

Nearly that whole park is awesome for this age, so you can't really go wrong.

My girls in particular loved characters (Merida saw that they were triplets and talked about her triplet brothers, very cute), Philharmagic, Monsters Inc Laugh Floor, the play area when you wait for Dumbo, Small World, Mine Train, Peter Pan, Crystal Palace. They had fun on the more thrilling rides, but the biggest smiles were the characters and some of the lower-key attractions. Heck, even for Mine Train, the part they loved was hearing the Heigh Ho song, not the coaster itself.

Heck, even for Mine Train, the part they loved was hearing the Heigh Ho song, not the coaster itself.

My daughter absolutely hated that ride. Basically at 5, she liked all the things she hated when she was 20 months old (she tried to climb out of Dumbo she hated it so much at 20 months). So maybe when she's 8 or 9, she'll like coasters....

Small World, Dumbo, Carousel, watching the parades, Aladdin carpets, Little Mermaid.

When my son was 5 or 6 he played in the dumbo area that you wait in. We had a very short wait so he didn’t get to play much. Now,when I am planning our trip he tells me I better let them (DD7 and Dd5) have more time playing at Dumbo.
DS was tall enough last year for almost everything. He didn’t like Big thunder and didn’t try space. Mine train was as much as he could take at 6. Him and DD5 seem to like everything at MK.
On one trip right before COvid the kids spent time playing in the splash area outside of Dumbo and then I like them pick anything out of bakery case at big top. It was such a nice, relaxed morning instead of rushing to the next ride. That’s the stuff they enjoy so I try not to worry about rushing them along. (Our first trip we had 3 mornings in MK. I don’t think we made it past tomorrowland and fantasyland until the last day)

When my son was 5 or 6 he played in the dumbo area that you wait in. We had a very short wait so he didn’t get to play much. Now,when I am planning our trip he tells me I better let them (DD7 and Dd5) have more time playing at Dumbo.

When my girls were five, we got back in line after riding Dumbo just so they could play. They didn't want to ride again.

Another time on that trip, I said we had time for one more thing in Fantasyland before our next FP and the choice, once again, was Dumbo play area.

Definitely a hit with this age group.

When my girls were five, we got back in line after riding Dumbo just so they could play. They didn't want to ride again.

Another time on that trip, I said we had time for one more thing in Fantasyland before our next FP and the choice, once again, was Dumbo play area.

Definitely a hit with this age group.
My ds is 2 and loves the Dumbo play area also. We usually go for early entry though and the play area doesn’t seem to open until later

Space ranger spin, tomorrowland speedway, jungle cruise (both were starting to get into puns and word play at that age) and the parade were huge hits with each of my boys at that age. My youngest hated dark rides when he was 3, but loved anything outdoors where he could feel the wind on his face. This flip flopped when he was 5, putting a major wrench in my plans.

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Seven Dwarves Mine Train, Buzz Lightyear Spin, Monsters Inc Laugh Floor, the play area before you get on Dumbo, the Laughing Place play area where you wait for people on Splash Mountain, Tom Sawyer Island, and Astro Orbiter.

My son was 5 when we took our first week-ish long Disney trip. He was into Cars at the time, and we stayed at a Cars family suite at Art of Animation (would have stayed at AoA regardless, but went for Cars because of the cool Radiator Springs ambience). His favorite ride that trip by far was Big Thunder Railroad. He LOOOOVED that ride and requested to ride it multiple times.

But honestly, he liked most all of the fast moving rides and took to roller coasters at an early age. What he did NOT like was Haunted Mansion and anything spooky (so the opening parts of Tower of Terror scared him a bit, but he enjoyed the up/down ride part).

We took our daughter for her 5th birthday in 2021
She's an adrenaline junkie already, so she got a kick out of doing all the mountains & coasters.
On our 2nd MK day she decided to do all 3 mountains in a row - it was so fun!
Also loved Haunted Mansion, driving on Speedway, and Teacups.

We did surprise her with dinner at Cinderella Royal Table which she also loved - but wish it wasn't a covid trip so she would have seen Cinderella more rather than from a distance.

If covid hadn't been a part of things, she would have wanted to spend time with characters. But it wasn't even an option. She loved meeting them when she was 3!

Mine love to play in the water at the train outside Dumbo. They could do this forever. It helps to have a towel, swimsuit or change of clothes, and some shoes that can get wet.

Tiki Room
Big Thunder
Space
Peoplemover
Buzz Lightyear
Tom Sawyer Island -- he loves exploring here!!

Those are his top things, for sure.

My 5 yr old boy LOVED the princess meet and greets. He is also an adrenaline junkie so big thunder and the other roller coasters were favorites.

My niece (6yrs old) loves - meaning she could 2 or more times per day- Seven Dwarfs, Pooh, Little Mermaid, Peterpan, Small world, Buzzlightyear

And she likes to see the parades over and over

Enjoy your trip!

Walk very slowly and point out every little detail they would see on every building, in every window, and every shrub. My husband and I had a new appreciation for Disney after our trips with our kids. They pointed out things that we missed on our previous trips as we were to busy running from one thing to the next. Our five year old LOVED the talking trashcans. I'm not sure if they still have them as we havent seen them on our last couple trips. Our five year old was also the one to spot Devine?? and watched for every trip. Five is such a fun age, enjoy your trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter