Your Favorite Packing Tip

Packing cubes have been the best things I've bought for traveling and packing. Love them and they save so much space.
Could someone explain to me how the packing cubes save space? I just don't get how packing in a cube and then putting that cube into a suitcase rather than packing in the suitcase directly, saves space. I get how it organizes things but space???? :confused3 Dumb it down for me lol Thanks!!!

I apologize if this has already been mentioned - I haven't had time to browse the entire thread.

My dad worked for a major airline for decades so he is pretty good at packing. I line my suitcase with a trash bag, and then pack my clothes on top of that. I put all my liquids into a Ziploc bag and then inside the waterproof makeup case, in hopes that if anything leaks it will be mostly contained. Finally I then put another trash bag over the top of the contents! He said suitcases get left on the tarmac quite a lot as they are waiting to be loaded into the plane, and if they are stuck in the rain it risks drenching everything inside! This way, the trash bags can help mitigate any luggage flooding!

I also place an index card on the top of my clothes with all pertinent emergency contact info so that if my bag is lost it can be found more easily!

Could someone explain to me how the packing cubes save space? I just don't get how packing in a cube and then putting that cube into a suitcase rather than packing in the suitcase directly, saves space. I get how it organizes things but space???? :confused3 Dumb it down for me lol Thanks!!!

Most people combine cubes with rolling, which helps right away. On top of that, the cubes provide a small amount of compression, and also facilitate a more efficient use of available space. :thumbsup2

Just as an FYI, I found packing bags at IKEA for a very reasonable price, 9.99$ for 4! Time will tell if they will hold up well but at that price I bought a set for each of my kids!

I'm stealing this - put all the clothes & money you plan to take on your bed. Then pack half of the clothes and take twice the money.

I've always wondered this, too. I get how cubes help you stay more organized, but never understood how they can allow you to pack more (let alone "twice as much" as some people say). I do already roll my clothes.

Can someone explain? Thanks!

Roll, don't fold! Rolling clothes makes for more room in your luggage.

Learned something today even at my age!;)

I had heard many times about rolling clothes, just never figured it was worth the trouble. Boy was I wrong!

We're driving- new vehicle, less room than the old Disneymobile, so we're in a space crunch. After reading your tip again about rolling clothes, I decided to give it a try.

I used the same large suitcase I used on a trip a month ago- the only difference being is the upcoming trip ( we leave tomorrow, yay!!) is a day longer.

Just to see, I rolled everything I could. When I was done, I had half a suitcase of space left!! So, told my daughter- get your large suitcase that's packed and unpack it- roll your stuff and put it in mine. We did it and I STILL have a little space left.

We may just fit all this luggage in after all!

Amazing!!! Thank you!!!

This would be a trick we use when we travel to WDW. As soon as we get to the resort we unpack everything leaving our suitcases empty. As we use our clothes, we put them into a pop up basket. Every few days we separate used dirty clothes into lights, mediums ad darks and place them into different suitcases. When we get ready to leave. Anything left in drawers or hanging. Gets put into the clean suitcase. Once home I just take the suitcases with dirty clothes into the laundry room and they're already sorted and ready for wash. Clean case gets distributed back into drawers and closets.

Easy peasy once you get home.

I always thought this too but I used packing cubes on a recent trip and now I'm a believer.

I recently took two trips almost back to back - I used cubes on one and Ziplock Space Bags on another. The Space Bags, while it did compress the clothes, were just giant hard blocks when I was done pushing out the air so it was hard to squeeze them into the suitcase at times. The cubes let me roll clothes and shove them tight into each cube, and then the cubes fit nicely in the suitcase. Plus, since everything is tight in the cubes, they don't shift in the suitcase and clothes came out less wrinkled and exactly as I had packed them. I think it saves space by trying to cram everything into the cubes (instead of the suitcase), and the organization helps too. Loved it.

I know this is a very lame answer but I don't know why it works. It just DOES :) Seriously- buy a set and see :) They really work!

Well this isn't necessarily a space saver, but it's a tip I follow religiously.

Whether checking a bag or not, always always always, pack a carryon that you could live out of if necessary. Delta lost DM's bag one year and we didn't have carryon bags. All she had was what she was wearing. It was pretty miserable for her. I should also add her bag was the one with all of our toiletries. Luckily Disney gave us loads of complimentary soaps, etc.

Ever since, I pack my carryon with at least a few days worth of outfits and at least one extra pair of shoes. I know I can launder if needed so it's usually only three outfits. I follow this no matter where I am traveling to. Lost luggage stinks and airlines take several weeks to settle a lost luggage claim so you are completely helpless on your trip. Oh, and they lost mine on the trip home but it was found a few hours later. Never flown that airline since.

I always take a large tote on the plane but I put my purse in it! That way, it is like a bigger purse, not two items. I put my travel papers in it with books, etc for the trip, but don't overpack the tote. Then on the trip back home, I put the breakable souveniers in it, wrapped really well, to keep them safe. I also put anything I can't fit into my checked suitcase. Works well for me. My tote that I use over and over is a loud,flowered tropical design, and it gets me into the vacation mode:) love the hints, some really good ones. I am a folder too and I pack tight so it works. I don't like to do laundry on vacation, so I always overpack at least 3 outfits, but it works with folding.

I could have written this! My backpack is flowered and LOUD! I also put my baggallini inside of it so that it doesn't count as two travel bags.

Everyone takes "a plane bag" ...it's usually a back pack. They put the things they need for the plane in it along with medicine, etc and one outfit just in case everything gets lost.

I also use the ebags and plan on getting more for our next trip.

This isn't a space-saving tip, but it's one of my favorite travel tips. If you're flying with someone else and you're both checking a bag, put half of your belongings in each other's bag. That way, if one suitcase is lost, you still have enough stuff to get you through part of your trip. When I fly with my DH, this also helps to even out the weight in our suitcases since his clothes/shoes tend to be heavier and take up more space.

All of you using the ebags/cubes.....what size do you use and how many per family member do you usually need?? Hard to tell from looking at them online! Do you pack outfits in them or all shirts in one...shorts in another..etc??

I know this is a very lame answer but I don't know why it works. It just DOES :) Seriously- buy a set and see :) They really work!
I ordered a set! FYI I bought directly from eBags website with a 30% off promo code (EM4XB98D17; option A) and they were much much much less than amazon. I think the coupon expires in a couple days. So I will give them a try and see :)

I roll my clothes and place them inside the packing cubes by Dot&Dot. I have different sizes.

I'm not sure if this counts as a tip, but here's what works well for us:
Arrival - We schedule our flights to depart after work/school, so we get that last day of work/school in and arrive at WDW at night. When sending DD off to school that morning, I have leave a small grocery bag packed with one set of jammies, her lovie, and her toothbrush/paste. After we pick her up from school, I put that bag into her backpack (that has her homework in it, because we're the awful/awesome parents that take her out of school to take her to WDW!). When we get to the resort, DH and I just have our carryon, and DD has hers - we let ME take care of the rest. When she's ready for bed, she has all she needs. DH and I are free to hang out in the room with drinks from the lounge while we wait for the Magical Express to deliver the rest of our luggage, but know that DD is snug in bed, and will be well rested for our first day of vacation!
Laundry - I pack a new garbage bag and pop-up hamper in our suitcase. As we go through our clothes, I put lights in the garbage bag, and darks in the pop up hamper. Then one night halfway though, I do a load of laundry while we're having dinner at WCC (in our hotel). Before the main course comes, I run down and switch them over to the dryer. I pick them up after dinner on the way back to the room, where we might change for a swim, or head back out to a park. Then, as we dirty the clothes again, I throw all the dirties back into the garbage bag. Then we have one suitcase that has dirty clothes in a garbage bag, and the other suitcase holds our clean ones. Toiletries go onto whichever bag is less full. When we get home - one bag gets unpacked back into drawers, the other gets unpacked directly into the clothes hamper at home :-)

I'm not sure if this counts as a tip, but here's what works well for us:
Arrival - We schedule our flights to depart after work/school, so we get that last day of work/school in and arrive at WDW at night. When sending DD off to school that morning, I have leave a small grocery bag packed with one set of jammies, her lovie, and her toothbrush/paste. After we pick her up from school, I put that bag into her backpack (that has her homework in it, because we're the awful/awesome parents that take her out of school to take her to WDW!). When we get to the resort, DH and I just have our carryon, and DD has hers - we let ME take care of the rest. When she's ready for bed, she has all she needs. DH and I are free to hang out in the room with drinks from the lounge while we wait for the Magical Express to deliver the rest of our luggage, but know that DD is snug in bed, and will be well rested for our first day of vacation!
Laundry - I pack a new garbage bag and pop-up hamper in our suitcase. As we go through our clothes, I put lights in the garbage bag, and darks in the pop up hamper. Then one night halfway though, I do a load of laundry while we're having dinner at WCC (in our hotel). Before the main course comes, I run down and switch them over to the dryer. I pick them up after dinner on the way back to the room, where we might change for a swim, or head back out to a park. Then, as we dirty the clothes again, I throw all the dirties back into the garbage bag. Then we have one suitcase that has dirty clothes in a garbage bag, and the other suitcase holds our clean ones. Toiletries go onto whichever bag is less full. When we get home - one bag gets unpacked back into drawers, the other gets unpacked directly into the clothes hamper at home :-)
You've certainly got it down to a science. :thumbsup2
Love your ideas (or would if I had kids. We're going with our niece and her family - wish I'd thought of an evening flight after school.)

All of you using the ebags/cubes.....what size do you use and how many per family member do you usually need?? Hard to tell from looking at them online! Do you pack outfits in them or all shirts in one...shorts in another..etc??

I just used a medium size one and a small one in a rolling carry on size suitcase and it filled the suitcase perfectly. I had enough room for my makeup bag and toiletry bag as well. I recently got the large size ones and I will likely use 2 of them, along with one or two of the narrow ones, in my checked size luggage. eBags sells a combination size set that comes with a small, medium and large size along with 3 narrow ones.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter