Your favorite Minivan..... I need your help!!!

momof2mouses

Mouseketeer
I want to buy a minivan. There are so many choices out there and I am having a very hard time in deciding which I will like best in the long run. Please give me your opinion and experience in this area.

Thanks

I have a Honda Oydessy.I love it! :cloud9: It seats 8 (most seat 7). It has stow and go in the 3rd row with a split seat (most have a bench seat) The seats are nice and plush and both side doors open with the remote (a must with 3 kids!). Most of all- it has ever safety feature you can imagine. We looked at every minivan made when we bought ours and this met our needs the best. I am so glad we got it. princess:

I have a 97 Windstar and just love it. It, like the Honda, has some of the best saftey ratings. Mine has just over 100,000 miles and has had no major mechanical problems. When it finally goes we will test drive the Honda and the new Freestar since they seem to have to best saftey scores and longest life.

We have the 2005 Toyota Sienna and love it. It is a lease, so we only have two more years with it, but will probably get another one. We have the 8 passenger. It fits my triplets in their three carseats in the 3 rd row, my 7 yr old ds in the 2nd row, with two extra seats. Also has a very large deep trunk. We had a 2000 Grand Caravan and Hated every minute of it. It was a lease and we took a huge loss by truning it in 6 months early. We were afraid to keep it any longer. At 12 months the transmission went, we consistantly had problems with a mildew smell in the vents and it went through brakes and tires like crazy.

We also looked at the Honda and really liked it except the 8th seat is not a full seat like the Toyota.

Chrissy

Another vote for Honda Odyssey here. Second choice was a Toyota Sienna. I think either would be a great choice for overall value, safety and reliability.

Well, DH works for Toyota, so...

we love the Sienna! :teeth: Actually in DH's professional opinion, both the Sienna and Odessey are great choices. They both have about every imaginable feature and hold their value. He sees people trying to trade in other vans and really getting much less in trade than they hoped. Or, they have a hard time selling their vans independently. The Honda and Toyota give you more for your money in resale.

I know how hard it is to choose! One bit of experience--before DH started at Toyota, we had a Mazda MPV van, and while we liked it, we had a hard time not having the 4-wheel-drive option, and after only 2 years, it already needed enough work that DH was ready to sell it and get a Toyota. Just our experience.

Everyone I know who has either a Sienna or Odessey LOVE their vans. Most the people I know who have Fords or Chevy vans are unhappy. I'm biased, but that's my 2 cents! ;)

We're Toyota people so we went with the Sienna without even driving an Odyssey. We have had 2 1997 Camrys that are still on the road with no problems (my mom has one of them so we know if ANYTHING goes wrong with it!) so our confidence in Toyota was exceedingly strong!

Love the Sienna! It drives great, love the automatic everything, love the way it looks even! My only thought is that my next Sienna is going to be the 8 passenger!

I have a 2003 Windstar(loaded) and love it!!!!
I had a 1999 Windstar and traded it in for a 2005 Grand Caravan. It was pretty loaded too and was new. At 38,000 miles everything started to go. It was horrible. I took a hit and went back to Ford. I love my Ford. I have never had problems with them. I traded due to the miles stacking up on the 1999....over 100,000. I love my new one. I did not care for the Freestar. It sits on a different frame than the Windstar did. Ford is great for vans.

THANKS FOR SUCH QUICK RESPONSES. MY LOVE HAS BEEN WITH HONDA AS I HAVE OWNED A 98 AND 04 ACCORD AND HAVE LOVED THEM BOTH WITH LITTLE PROBLEMS. MY HUSBAND HAS A TUNDRA AND I ALSO LOVE IT. MY MAIN DILEMMA IS BTWN TOYOTA AND HONDA. I AM JUST HAVING AN AWFUL TIME DECIDING WHICH IS BETTER FOR US. :confused3

I just got a new Uplander for a company vech. We get new ones every 2 or 3 years and of all ( Lumina , Caravan <Windstar) I like the way this one handles and the onboard pump is real nice as it sits sometimes and the air goes down .I think the city driving and potholes has something to do with it as well.But the pump is nice.

We have a 99 Pontiac Montana that we love! We have never kept a car this long. It has 86,000 (10,000 of those traveling down I95 to WDW!). We're hoping to get a few more trips to WDW! Ours is an 8 seater but I think we'll move on to the 7-seater next time with the captain's chairs for the DDs as they are would certainly enjoy the comfort. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another!

Hi! I'm just starting to look at minivans myself---hoping to purchase in AUG. My brother has a 2001 (I think) Honda Odyssey and he LOVES it! He says he's going to buy another one when this one has had it.

I've narrowed it down to Honda Odyssey and Toyota Sienna as well. Consumer Reports and Edmunds rated Odyssey their #1 pick in minivan category, although the Toyota was a close 2nd. I am really leaning toward the Honda, although the Toyota is less expensive. I haven't had a chance to test drive them yet...maybe that will make my decision for me!

Good luck!

I'm in the same boat right now. We're planning to buy one over the summer, and I've narrowed it down to the Odyssey and the Sienna. We need an eight seater, so that eliminated a bunch right away. I honestly can't decide which one I like better.

One thing I've learned is that the 8 seater Sienna isn't as option friendly. You can get more choices going with the upgraded 7 seat model, and they won't let you add any of those to the 8 seater (dual power doors, power driver seat only with the most expensive DVD package, which we don't want). Right now, we're toying over very minor details, where each one has some little things that the other doesn't (one thing the Sienna has (the dealer thinks this would be hilarious if it was his biggest selling point) is that it has an external antenna for our Disney antenna topper).

Right now, we're leaning towards the Odyssey just because I think we'll get more options for our money. You would think this is a major life decision with how stressed I am about this.

Good luck with your decison.

I've owned a Crisis Caravan and a Chevy unad-Venture. Piece o' junk, the both of them. Lots of problems, the venture was getting 9mpg when I traded it in. I now have a 2003 Kia Sedona and I really like it. Mine doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles (b/c I've learned that bells and whistles are EXPENSIVE to repair down the road and tend to add unnecessary weight ;) ), but I've taken it on two 2,000 mile road trips this year and am getting ready for 3,500 in August and we are very pleased with it. The warranty doesn't hurt either.

We have a 2004 Toyota Sienna. We LOVE IT!!!! It has over 50K miles on it and the only problem we've had in 3 years is a bad sensor. Our previous vehicle was a 2000 Chevy Venture and it was HUGE lemon, and Chevy refused to stand behind their product. We lost SO much money on that vehicle. Our van before that was a 1995 Ford Windstar, one of the biggest lemons known to the world :rotfl2:

I would say go with a Sienna or an Odyssey....after having dealt with 2 lemons, reliability is a HUGE factor in choosing a vehicle IMHO.

Here's a good resource for comparison.

I know the Chrysler vans are not "popular" on this thread, but my last 3 vans were Chrylser Town and Country vans and I have not had any problems with them. Because of needing a wheelchair ramp van, I don't have a lot of options available to me. The GM and Ford vans in general don't have good reviews on any place I have seen and I need the extra length of the Chysler "Grand" vans. The Toyota and Honda are listed on that site as Best Bets (along with the Dodge van, which is less expensive than those).
One nice thing about that site is if you click on the name of the van, it brings up a page with pros and cons (which may not be pros and cons to you) and you can bring up other vans for a side by side comparison.

We also just went through the Sienna vs. Odyssey debate, and settled for the Sienna.

We had a 2003 Mazda MPV and had so many problems with it, I can't even tell you. We actually did file a lemon claim and got some money back from Mazda. But anyways, without going into it, I'll never own a Mazda again. :sad2:

We ended up choosing the Sienna for cost. We were looking at the low-end Sienna, the mid-range Sienna, and the low-end Odyssey. My feeling was that the mid-range Sienna compared more evenly with the low-end Odyssey, at which point, the mid-range Sienna was very slightly more expensive than the Odyssey but had more features that I liked. So then, it became a question of low-end or mid-range Sienna. Same engine, exact same safety features (except that the low-end Sienna didn't have traction control). We decided that while the extras in the mid-range model were nice, we didn't need them for the extra $3-4000. So, we settled for the low-end Sienna, which we paid $21,200 for about three or four months ago. So far I'm loving it and have had NO problems. It doesn't have power doors, but I really don't care about that at all. The only feature that I wanted that it didn't have were tinted windows, but I took them somewhere and had them tinted for $185. It has front/rear AC, cruise control, power windows/locks . . . We're not car people. We want something safe and reliable -- the extras just aren't worth the money to us.

So, that was our decision! Having said all of this, it's true that they drive TOTALLY differently. Toyotas have a "cruising" feel to them. They're sort of loose feeling. The Honda feels more like "performance" vehicle. You can really feel the weight of the car -- very solid. I talked to a lot of people, and I don't think it's a matter of better or worse at all. . . Just different suspensions.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll be happy with either car!

If we ever replace our Honda Odyssey, it will be with another Odyssey or a Toyota Sienna. Fortunately, the updated Sienna has caused Honda dealers to have to bargain more on Odyssey pricing. There was a time when you were lucky to find one on the lot -- and good luck getting it for much under MSRP. Ain't competition great? :car:

I am not in the market right now, but consumer reports rates the reliability of the Toyota Sienna a good bit higher than the Honda Odyssey. Just food for thought.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter