Your best frugal recipes

lttlmc3

You can ship it, I'll still eat it!
I'm sure this post has been done before, but I need ideas! What are your best frugal recipes?

Bean and rice burritos. More of a method than a recipe. Can be as easy as you want by using a can of refried beans and a packet of knorrs taco rice and add a little cheese. Or you can make them a little more refined by using black beans and brown rice and wheat tortillas. These can be made ahead and frozen too. Pinterest has many variations.

I'm from the south and a staple was pinto beans and cornbread, that can be made for under 2 dollars.

I have many, haha!

We like pancakes with homemade sausage or brown n serve. Pizza with homemade crust. Lots of from scratch stuff! :D

The most frugal meal that we make is a south Indian dish called rasam. It's like a soup with tomatoes that you serve over rice. It's really nice on cold day or when you are sick. We eat it a couple times a month. There are a lot of frugal Indian recipes that are also pretty healthy because they are vegetarian.

Getting a whole chicken: use part of the chicken for dinner one night. Leftover chicken meat then gets thrown into rice with veggies for dinner another night. Bones boiled for broth that is stored in freezer in 2 cups portions.

Spaghetti sauce made from scratch: at least 16oz tomato paste in a 8qt crock pot or stock pot. Can add to it any veggies you like. We usually have mushrooms, onions, shredded broccoli, carrots, garlic. Sometimes, I freeze as is or I have added sausage, pepperoni, and hamburger. Then I use it with rice, noodles, zucchini, and spaghetti squash.

Meatballs: equal parts sausage and hamburger with shredded carrot, onion, zucchini, squash, eggplant and panko crumbs. Fry them up and freeze. With a total of 2 pounds I usually, get 3 meals out of the meatballs IF I make small meatballs ;)

Chicken and noodles
Using a crockpot
Put a meals worth of chicken breast into crockpot
Cover with 1 can cream of chicken soup and one jar chicken gravy (I also add chicken broth or 1 water 1 cup)
Cook about 6 hours on low
Cook egg noodles and serve chicken over noodles
Add a vegetable on the side

I crock pot a lean pork loin and split it up for meals. If I have more than three pounds, I will freeze it.

I do a week of pork meals. Pork casserole (like chicken casserole with the stuffing), BBQ pork, Chinese pork...you get the idea. I try to buy 5-6 pound roasts on sale for $2 pp.

Fritatas -we use a ton of veggies whatever is leftover, bit of egg and leftover cheese .
Soups using leftover veggies, beans,pasta,rice whatever and homemade broth, leftover wine if you have it. Maybe some nice homemade bread or maybe a loaf from the grocery warmed in the oven
I make roasted butternut squash ravioli with pesto sauce that seems fancy and special but is really cheap, especially in season.
Tacos, fajitas,enchiladas. Black bean soup, chili and cornbread , fried rice, breakfast for dinner and even grilled cheese tomato soup or baked potato bar are all hits that are super cheap at my house.

I made a tuna, noodle casserole for lunch today that was really tasty. Trying to use only what I have on hand and added about 1/3 cup of French fried onion rings I had left from something else. That really made it good. Not something I think to make very often but pretty inexpensive.

I also will cook up some chicken or a couple of roast at a time and package for many meals. Inexpensive ones: macaroni/chicken casserole, hot beef sandwiches, chicken pot pies, stir fry, soups etc.

caribbean chicken (night 1), caribbean chicken pasta (night 2-3 and a couple of lunches)-

whole bodied chicken marinated in weber cariibbean marinade then cooked in crockpot. I marinade in the crockpot liner so the whole bag w/chicken goes into crockpot to continue seasoning as it cooks. eat it hot w/zataran caribbean rice the first night. before putting leftovers away I drain the liquid from the liner into a container to refrigerate separately. next day I debone and chop chicken, take the fat off the top of the marinade container (discard it) then use the marinade liquid to sauté mushrooms and onion (or any other veg lying around). toss the chicken in to warm it while penne is boiling-toss everything together.

mom and dad were raised in the depression era so I grew up with frugal cooking-until I became an adult I honestly believed that 'minestrone' translated meant 'clean out the leftovers from the fridge and add tomato products and small shell pasta'.

A few lbs of sale chicken breast can be sliced thin top down into breaded cutlets (dip into whipped egg & water then breadcrumb and fry) and a side of garlic bread (day old Italian bread or roll sliced open, put a layer of Margarine or butter on then sprinkle with a touch of garlic powder, salt & pepper) or Chicken Marsala (rinse cutlet, dip in flour then sauté with mushrooms, remove & add 1/4 cup Marsala wine and 1/2-1 cup chicken broth mixed with 1/8 cup flour some dried basing and onion for a nice sauce delicious with tater tots) then chunk the bottom of the breast for chicken skillet stew (taste of home) over rice or the fastest is sauté chunks then put into a pie pan with veggies and cover with cream of chicken soup and pillsbury biscuits on top for a pot pie. I can squeeze 3-4 meals out of a few chicken breasts

Don't forget, what is inexpensive for me might NOT be inexpensive for you (depending on season, location, availability etc). Some folks have inexpensive meats or eggs while other don't. Sometimes broccoli is a steal and then other times (like here in New England right now) the prices SPIKE due to weather issues in other states. So while some recipes are kind of "universally" frugal, others are more dependent on outside influences. Think about what your frugal INGREDIENTS are and work from that.......but that being said..........

Lentil soup...... this one is my favorite (although I often skip the tomato paste and I NEVER use meat).....
http://www.bossyitalianwife.com/2013/10/grandmas-lentil-soup-recipe.html

but I also like this one.....
http://www.firsthomelovelife.com/2014/01/lentil-brown-rice-soup.html

I make BOTH of these using homemade vegetable stock that I make with leftover bits and pieces of veggies (I can provide a recipe if needed).... partially because it is more frugal and partially because my DS has a chicken allergy.

Bean soup, pea soup (with or without a ham bone), carrot soup (I have an excellent curried carrot soup recipe), potato soup..... all relatively inexpensive to make and healthy and can be vegetarian or vegan or can have meat..... so many options.

I also like this website for frugal recipes.... budgetbytes.com

Best of luck!........................P

Black beans ($1.69 for 2 lbs)---cook them until almost done.
Add:
Bag of southwest corn from Schwans ($7.50)
1/2 jar salsa (I like either the chipotle version from Tostidos or the either the roasted tomato or chipotle one from Frontega $1.50)
salt, pepper, cumin, oregano to taste

Serve with some tortillas, cheese, cilantro, lime...whatever I have in the fridge.

Don't forget, what is inexpensive for me might NOT be inexpensive for you (depending on season, location, availability etc). Some folks have inexpensive meats or eggs while other don't. Sometimes broccoli is a steal and then other times (like here in New England right now) the prices SPIKE due to weather issues in other states. So while some recipes are kind of "universally" frugal, others are more dependent on outside influences. Think about what your frugal INGREDIENTS are and work from that

definitely-I learned I had to adjust what was a frugal recipie for our household when we moved to a new state. what was inexpensive (esp. produce wise) in our former state was astronomicaly priced here (and a few items are just not available). so it took some experimenting with substituting ingredients and looking to what was less expensive here vs. our former state to try out new receipies that included those ingredients.

it absolutely floors me when I read on the dis the price differences on some items as little as state to state (let alone region to region or outside the country:faint:). what one poster knows to be a rock bottom sales price for chicken in their neck of the woods can be several times what we pay for a non sale price.

Black beans ($1.69 for 2 lbs)---cook them until almost done.
Add:
Bag of southwest corn from Schwans ($7.50)
1/2 jar salsa (I like either the chipotle version from Tostidos or the either the roasted tomato or chipotle one from Frontega $1.50)
salt, pepper, cumin, oregano to taste

Serve with some tortillas, cheese, cilantro, lime...whatever I have in the fridge.

I make something similar (often my go-to item to bring to a potluck in the crockpot) only I use trader joe's corn and chili tomatoless salsa (I still add some jarred tomato based salsa as well). it's got a nice balance of sweet and heat.

I posted this on another thread a few months back:

We eat a LOT of dried beans!

Red Beans and Rice
Ingredients
1 lb dried red beans
2 tbs olive oil
8 oz tasso (You can sub smoked ham, pork hocks or turkey wings)
1 large onion
1 large bell pepper
3 ribs celery
3 cloves garlic minced
Bay leaf
Salt/pepper/cayenne to taste (I use Tony Chachere's)

Cooking Directions
Soak red beans overnight.

Place large heavy (I use cast iron) pot over medium-low heat.

Dice tasso, onion, bell pepper, celery and celery.

Add olive oil to pot, then add diced tasso and vegetables. Sauté until vegetables are wilted and cooked down.

Add minced garlic and sauté 30 seconds.

Drain and rinse red beans. Add beans and bay leaf to pot and cover with water. Cook over medium heat until beans are very soft and some have begun to break down and become creamy, 2-3 hours. Add more water as needed.

Season with salt, pepper, cayenne. Simmer while rice cooks.

Serve over hot rice. Greens are the traditional side.

(This is a healthier version. They're even better when you use bacon drippings for the sauté and add rendered andouille sausage with the salt/pepper.)

Hopping John
Substitute 1 pound dried black-eyed peas for red beans.
Substitute two jalapeños for bell pepper.
Serve with hot rice.

White Beans
Substitute 1 pound dried large white lima beans.
After beans soften add 1 can undrained Rotel tomatoes with the add salt/pepper.
Serve over hot rice.

Pinto Beans
Substitute 1 pound pinto beans
Substitute two jalapeños for bell pepper.
Substitute ham for the tasso.
After the water boils down the first time add chicken stock as needed instead of more water, you want these to be soupy.
Serve in bowl (omit rice) and top with diced sweet onion. Goes well with hot cornbread.

(For Mexican-style pintos I omit the bay leaf, add a handful of minced cilantro and replace the red/black pepper with chili powder to taste. We use these to make bean burritos or as a side with tacos. The are also good for nachos or served alone topped with pico.)

it makes me happy to read all the recopies here that use dried beans because that means people actually know how to prepare them. it never ceases to amaze me when I encounter someone (not an inexperienced cook) who doesn't know how to. the food bank that was located in the social services building I worked in had so many hungry people who would decline taking dried beans because they just didn't know how to prepare them that we finally made up a printed sheet that went into each bag with easy soaking/boiling instructions (we also had to do this to some extent with rice-there are those who REALY do not understand that it doesn't take a rice cooker to make rice:().

Eggs Marinara - I use individual ramakins, I put about two ladle spoons full of marinara/pasta sauce on bottom and crack a raw egg on top. I cook until egg looks done. When it comes out I top with cheese. It's literally 2-3 ingredients. My kids love this!

Homemade French Onion soup and homemade crusty bread. It smells and tastes delicious and is very inexpensive to make.

it makes me happy to read all the recopies here that use dried beans because that means people actually know how to prepare them. it never ceases to amaze me when I encounter someone (not an inexperienced cook) who doesn't know how to. the food bank that was located in the social services building I worked in had so many hungry people who would decline taking dried beans because they just didn't know how to prepare them that we finally made up a printed sheet that went into each bag with easy soaking/boiling instructions (we also had to do this to some extent with rice-there are those who REALY do not understand that it doesn't take a rice cooker to make rice:().

I can cook dried beans just fine. But have hack time cooking rice right. Can you post the easy instructions on cooking dried rice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter