Your best Disney fact or insider story...

Here are some more tidbits I didn't see mentioned:
....We've all heard of shows being canceled, for whatever reason... but Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular prides itself on never canceling a show. They can always offer some modified version (which may only last 5-10 minutes), but they avoid canceling if at all possible.

We were at DHS in August 2009, on one of the rare occasions when Indy was cancelled for at least a day--one of the stuntmen was killed :sad1:

About the Living with the Land dog, here's a site with fun facts that reports it's the same dog:
http://www.hiddenmickeys.org/WDW/Epcot/Secrets/TheLand.html
Here's a blog with the only photo of the dog that I can find online, aroubd 1/3 of the way down the page
http://land.allears.net/blogs/jackspence/2010/08/living_with_the_land_1.html

And for people who've ever wondered "How do they do that" at Haunted mansion, we did a Youth Education Series class with the kids on the physics of light and motion and went behind the scenes. They showed us some of the tricks with scrim, lighting and mirrors, including the "Pepper's Ghost" trick in the ballroom:
In the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland/Disney World, the glass is angled through a vertical plane as opposed to the normal horizontal plane, reflecting animated props below and above the viewer that create the appearance of three-dimensional, translucent "ghosts" which appear to be dancing through the ballroom and interacting with props in the physical ballroom. The apparitions appear and disappear when the lights on the animatronics are turned on and then off.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepper's_ghost

We were at DHS in August 2009, on one of the rare occasions when Indy was cancelled for at least a day--one of the stuntmen was killed :sad1:

About the Living with the Land dog, here's a site with fun facts that reports it's the same dog:
http://www.hiddenmickeys.org/WDW/Epcot/Secrets/TheLand.html
Here's a blog with the only photo of the dog that I can find online, aroubd 1/3 of the way down the page
http://land.allears.net/blogs/jackspence/2010/08/living_with_the_land_1.html

And for people who've ever wondered "How do they do that" at Haunted mansion, we did a Youth Education Series class with the kids on the physics of light and motion and went behind the scenes. They showed us some of the tricks with scrim, lighting and mirrors, including the "Pepper's Ghost" trick in the ballroom:
In the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland/Disney World, the glass is angled through a vertical plane as opposed to the normal horizontal plane, reflecting animated props below and above the viewer that create the appearance of three-dimensional, translucent "ghosts" which appear to be dancing through the ballroom and interacting with props in the physical ballroom. The apparitions appear and disappear when the lights on the animatronics are turned on and then off.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepper's_ghost

The actual dancers in HM are under the balcony you are riding on. They use the same 'trick' in Monsters, Inc at DCA. Only it's much more obvious there.

Great thread! Just read through the entire thing. I'll definitely have to keep some of these in the memory bank for my trip next year!! :goodvibes

sounds like a great story...could we hear more?

When I was 11 my sweet neighbor took me to Florida with her to visit family. Her younger sister took me to Magic Kingdom and told me that their father was one of the builders. Can't remember exactly his profession, but at the end of the work day, he was missing his keys. They had just poured the concrete in front of the castle, so that was the only logical place they could be. I thought is was the coolest thing. Of course, we walked around in front of the castle and tried to guess where his keys were buried. I'm 39 now, so I don't remember everything about the story, but since that was my very first time going to MK, it is something I will never forget. I'm sure her dad was not happy, but what a cool story to pass down to his family. :)

When I was 11 my sweet neighbor took me to Florida with her to visit family. Her younger sister took me to Magic Kingdom and told me that their father was one of the builders. Can't remember exactly his profession, but at the end of the work day, he was missing his keys. They had just poured the concrete in front of the castle, so that was the only logical place they could be. I thought is was the coolest thing. Of course, we walked around in front of the castle and tried to guess where his keys were buried. I'm 39 now, so I don't remember everything about the story, but since that was my very first time going to MK, it is something I will never forget. I'm sure her dad was not happy, but what a cool story to pass down to his family. :)

Thanks for sharing. Good story.

So what is the story with that place? I don't get it. And who are Hester and Chester?

siskaren said:

Aha! That makes this land much more interesting. I think the problem most of us had/has with it is because we are so used to already knowing the stories behind all the other areas of each park, and this one has its very own non-obvious or untold story.

It would be neat if they had brochures to pick up as you entered, written from Chester and Hester's point of view. This would tell the story nicely! :D

Aha! That makes this land much more interesting. I think the problem most of us had/has with it is because we are so used to already knowing the stories behind all the other areas of each park, and this one has its very own non-obvious or untold story.

It would be neat if they had brochures to pick up as you entered, written from Chester and Hester's point of view. This would tell the story nicely! :D

It would!

I really enjoyed the Chester and Hester story, and I can't wait to retell it friends while visiting, but I am a little suspicious. All lands don't have elaborate stories. Epcot? Sunset Blvd at DHS maybe. Tomorrowland? I'll have to think about that.

I have a droid phone.

Bummer for me.

Here are the lands I think that are built around a good story.

1. DinoLand - now that I read it, excellent.
2. Africa and Asia in DAK. I guess they really needed a story because they weren't really complete.
3. Sunset blvd at DHS. Tower of Terror really cemented that. Rock n roller coaster? Whatever.
4. Frontierland - oozes with story
5. Main Street - excellent

I don't know. One of the world showcase pavilions? Morocco might do the best, but not really.

Anything as elaborate as the Dino-Rama saga?

bcrook said:
I really enjoyed the Chester and Hester story, and I can't wait to retell it friends while visiting, but I am a little suspicious. All lands don't have elaborate stories. Epcot? Sunset Blvd at DHS maybe. Tomorrowland? I'll have to think about that.

I just ordered a book called "The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: The Magic Kingdom" and based on the reviews and descriptions it looks like the author tells much of the back stories of each of the attractions. This is the first book out of four total. Maybe your wish came true already! (I will have to read it to let you know for sure!) :D

Well, I found this gold nugget about Hollywood Studios and that seemingly out of place dinosaur in Echo Lake. Apparently it based on a non-disney film character from 1913.

What a subtle and great tribute to early films.

Gertie at Echo Lake

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter