Younger dd might do a couple big rides!!

Lora

DIS Veteran
I have a dd who gets scared on rides like Splash Mtn., Haunted Mansion, etc. She's been on both, but didn't want to go again because of the drop on Splash and the scary atmosphere/music on HM. I thought I'd never get her on Test Track and she actually went last year and liked it enough to go again. Now she wants to try BTTMRR and maybe even Mission Space!! I'm in shock about that second one.

I asked her the other day if she thought she'd ever try ToT and she said "maybe". Wow. She's only turning 7 this trip, so maybe there's hope. I would really like to ride all of the big rides with our whole family and never have to split up for stuff like this. That would be great!!

Of course we'll take this one step at a time and see how she does on BTTMRR. Hopefully by the time she gets ready to ride RnRc I won't be too old something!

Do you miss out on the rides she doesn't want to do when you go to WDW? Do you go with other adults because if you do then you can swap out easily. She'll grow into the rides soon enough so you won't be too old :).

my daughter has just turned 5 and is insisting she wants to do TOT in January. I'm mostly hoping that when she sees it up close she'll change her mind. i can imagine being sat in the ride already moving as she changes her mind! She is quite brave though and will go on great big swinging pirate ships at the funfair and loved BTMRR at diney paris so maybe she'll be ok. She is very upset about the rides that have a height restriction taller than her.
I think that once they get a taste of these thrill rides, they can't get enough. Myself and DH are big thrill freaks and maybe its rubbing off on her. Just go with the flow and enjoy. You may have a thrill junkie in the making!
Claire

My DD(5) can't wait to do ALL the thrill rides and both DH & I are sort of whimps! What's really funny is that at home she's a whimp too! Didn't walk til she was nearly 17 months. Hated swings til she was 4...and is terified of public rest rooms still. I think the thrill rides will be good for her so I guess I'm going to have to toughen myself up for her. She's also painfully shy at home but runs right up to all the characters even the scarry ones and chats away with them. Must be Disney magic! Her brother (3 1/2) was watching the planning DVD several weeks ago and when he saw the Kali Rapids said "I no go on that ride. Sissie go on that ride. Mommy & Sissie go on that ride. I NO go on that ride." But then this week he saw it again and said he wanted to go on with me and hold my hand. He can't wait to try test track! I think my 20 month old would go on anything. That girl has NO fear! What age is too young for Goofy Barnstormer? I think she'll make the height requirement and I think she'd love it but I think she's too young.

Our DD's are 7 &9. My 7 year old used to be fearless, now she's reverting. She rode MS in April, refused in June, refuses now. Adores Test Track though! Her new favorites are Star Tours and Indiana Jones. Used to fear Pirates, has seen the movie about 2 dozen times now, plans to dress as a pirate girl for MNSSHP! Says she's going to ride Space Mtn this time, but refuses to do RnR or ToT. Older daughter has chickened out of ToT and RnR so many times we'll see if she does it this one. My advice is play it by ear. When little one was 2 & 3 she adored the Juraissic Park movies and Mummy movies, now she won't do any dino rides or even watch the Mummy flicks!

Originally posted by Amirah95
Do you miss out on the rides she doesn't want to do when you go to WDW? Do you go with other adults because if you do then you can swap out easily. She'll grow into the rides soon enough so you won't be too old :).

Dh and I usually split up when it comes to the rides dd6 doesn't do. Dd8 likes the big rides, so she usually gets to ride twice - once we me and once with dh. Dd6 usually has another ride to do while we're split up.

I guess the reason I'm excited about her riding some of the big rides now is that we'll all get to ride together. I have a sister who still doesn't do rollercoasters, so I know that some people never really grow into these things. I was worried she was going to be like that and that we'd be splitting up forever.

Originally posted by lovesdumbo
What age is too young for Goofy Barnstormer? I think she'll make the height requirement and I think she'd love it but I think she's too young.

I think both of my girls did this as their "first rollercoaster" at about age 4. In fact, they still call it "my first rollercoaster".

If your younger boys/girls are willing to go on the big rides..do them.

I am 11 now, and--well--hate roller coasters.
The thing is, I think that if I had gone on rcs younger, I would like them now.
I first chickend out of Splash MT, when I was say 6.
I think that's because I didn't go on it.

Actually, in 2002, I faced my fear and went on Splash mt. twice. (Once holding on, and the other holding my hands in the air.)
And, just recently, in January, I went on Tower of Terror.
If you don't believe me, I have both pictures to prove it.

Maybe if you start your children young on bigger roller coasters, they might like them, and go on them later.

My 6 year old was excited about ToT for months before our trip. He would have gone on everything except that he missed the 48" mark by half an inch and had to sit out a couple of rides. He LOVED Mission: Space and Test Track. He did ToT but I don't think he liked it, wasn't afraid, just didn't like the sensation. BTMRR was a hit for him as well. He's my little daredevil and the cause of much of the hair in my head that is now white! :crazy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter