Young parents: WDW or DCL?

Sayaeo

Earning My Ears
My husband and I spent our honeymoon on the Disney fantasy and LOVED it! He also proposed to me at MK so Disney is close to our hearts. We are now expecting July 2016 and would like to plan a vacation for spring 2017 or possibly fall 2017. My question for all you families is: Which would you recommend for a 7 to 14 month old? From what i've read the cost is pretty similar, but as far as goals with a young child for a vacation (keeping everyone happy and having fun!) what do you think? I like the idea of a relaxing cruise.. But I also would feel a little better staying on land with an infant. Thanks in advance!

We just got back from the Fantasy with our DS (23 months) and it was just amazing and so easy. We had a veranda room which helped at lot. We were able to sit out there while he was napping or in the evenings. The crew members were extremely helpful. The head server would swing by our table every night after we had our main courses and would cut up the food for who ever was holding DS at the time. One night he even brought over a clean table cloth for us to use as a blanket while DS slept on my lap.

We also took DS to Disneyland when he was 18 month. While still a fun trip this was not as relaxing. DS didn't have the freedom to run or walk on his own like his did on the ship. The cast members while nice didn't have the time to give us as much attention as they did on the cruise. And nap time was a little more challenging. Sometimes he would sleep in his stroller other times not. At least at Disneyland our hotel was within walking distance to the park which is a huge plus to me over the 20 mins bus rides at WDW. It made going back to the hotel for an afternoon break pretty easy.

If you decide on a land vacation I would highly recommend DL over WDW with small kids. It's more compact and easier to navigate and makes going to the hotel for a break super easy.

Keep in mind babies/kids in diapers cannot go in the pools on DCL. So swimming would be out. Plus a big part of the cruises is the dining and theater, which your baby may or may not tolerate. I couldn't imagine taking my 15 month old to a show every night. She just wouldn't sit still. I feel like a cruise would be more relaxing, but I know with my kids, we wouldn't get much out of the entertainment that is provided. And all meals would be rushed. In the parks you can you with the flow and do things at your baby's pace.

I think you would get more enjoyment out of the cruise because you have the option of the child care center to have some grown up time. I don't think I would do a first time Disney world trip that young. The only reason I took my oldest at 16 months is because we went with extended family. I would have waited a little longer until he would have understood what was going on a little better. Don't get me wrong, he loved it and it was great, and we have no problem taking babies #2&#3 young. We're going this fall, our boys will be almost 6 and almost 2 and our daughter will be about 3months (also due in July). But for the first child, I would want them to understand enough to be as excited about Disney as I am.

We also took DS to Disneyland when he was 18 month. While still a fun trip this was not as relaxing. DS didn't have the freedom to run or walk on his own like his did on the ship. The cast members while nice didn't have the time to give us as much attention as they did on the cruise. And nap time was a little more challenging. Sometimes he would sleep in his stroller other times not. At least at Disneyland our hotel was within walking distance to the park which is a huge plus to me over the 20 mins bus rides at WDW. It made going back to the hotel for an afternoon break pretty easy.

If you decide on a land vacation I would highly recommend DL over WDW with small kids. It's more compact and easier to navigate and makes going to the hotel for a break super easy.

Absolutely agree. DLR is so much easier for families with young children-I tell this to everyone that asks where and when they should go for a first Disney trip. Being able to take a quick walk back to GCH made all the difference when my kids were young.

We have cruised many times-both with DCL and others-and I think I would wait until my child were at least 3 to do a cruise.

We have taken ODS on several WDW and DCL trips and LO has been on DCL once so far.

DCL is SO MUCH EASIER with a baby. While onboard, it is easy to pop over to your cabin for stuff or a nap. And the nursery is great. I've never found meals to be rushed. In fact, I find the DCL meals to be easier than at the parks. Plus I don't have to make so many plans ahead of time (ADR's, FP, etc.). It's easier to go with the flow.

True, the non-potty trained set cannot use the pools. But they can use the splash area, which my kids have like so much better at that age anyway. DCL pools tend to be crowded and not idea for littles, IMO.

None of my kids have gone to the shows as toddlers, but ODS did enjoy them at 2.5. The shows are optional anyway.

I have never done a long cruise with little kiddos, so I can only speak to the 3-4 night trips.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter