young kids & their own cell phones...

My DD10 has that Migo posted above, has had it since she was 8. We made that decision because she's a wanderer and I was afraid to lose her at Disney, the mall, etc. She doesn't carry it every day or in the back yard playing, only when we're somewhere where she may get separated from us. It's $10 a month and great for us.

Heather

For now, I think the cell phones are merely a Want at this young age, not a Need.QUOTE]

No flames here, as I totally agree. My dd11 is finishing fifth grade and has been bugging for a cell phone for about a year (or more!). Our answer is simply, "no." As has been said, she doesn't need it! Our family might be moving out of town this year, and we'll consider a phone at that point so that she can feel connected to her current friends--I think a move right before middle school will be hard. Otherwise, we probably wouldn't think about a phone until at least 7th grade.

I'm the mother of a high school girl (15) and boy (14). Neither have cell phones. Even at these ages, they are either at school, after school activites, church, etc. There are always phones available. Occasionally, I'll send them off to an activity with my phone. It's usually only if the end time is completely up in the air and it's where there is no easy phone access. They both want phones (especially my daughter). They will get them when they go to college or earlier if I ever run into enough occassions where they must have a phone. In the meantime, I avoid the extra bills (more for the college funds) and don't ever have those stressful phone issues with my teens that so many of my friends seem to be constantly experiencing with their kids. I also appreciate that when they are with me, their grandparents, or others that they are part of the conversation and the experience instead of constantly recieving phone calls and texting their friends.

I teach classes to 8 thru 10th graders. Every single one of them has a cell phone. In our area- most kids age 12 and up have cells- I would say 90%. Even at the 10-11 age, I would bet it's around 60%.

You will find parents on both sides of the fence on this one. Ask yourself some questions:
1. What will it be used for?
2. What do YOU want it to be used for? (are the answers to 1 and 2 the same?)
3. Can your child handle not losing the phone?
4. Can they handle having a certain # of minutes? (if not, what phones will allow you to monitor this/get a handle on this issue)

In the end, the choice is yours. We can add 3 more lines to our plan for 10.00 each per month. My feeling is that once kids are away from you/family for any length of time- a cell phone is not a bad idea. Maybe that's overprotective, but at 5th grade, I remember going to sleepovers, heading to the mall and to the movies alone.

I remember once, my girlfriend and I were dropped off at the mall, no phones at the time (in the early 90s)....her mother went running around the mall for 40 minutes attempting to find us. My friends grandmother had died. Had we had phones, this would have not been an issue.

When I was a kid, payphones were EVERYWHERE. Our mall currently has no payphones...most places in our area don't have payphones- can't even remember the last time I've seen one. I view the cell as replacing the payphone. If you feel the need to only give the cell to your child as you deem necessary- that's your choice, your rules, your house :) I know families that hold the phones until their child heads to the mall, movies, sleepover, camp etc etc.

I also appreciate that when they are with me, their grandparents, or others that they are part of the conversation and the experience instead of constantly recieving phone calls and texting their friends.

I agree with your statement! :thumbsup2

My niece is 15...when she is over, her mother (my sister) allows her to have her cell at family functions (anytime actually). She is out of the loop texting in her chair at restaurants, chatting while at dinner...

IMO- these issues have NOTHING to do with letting kids have a cell, it has everything to do with the parents. These parents that have issues? They only have issues b/c they allow the behavior to continue. You get the cell when I say so...that means when at grandmas house, or celebrating a baby shower, or wherever else I deem inappropriate, the cell remains in the OFF position in my purse.

My mom (her grandmother) ended up taking away the phone from her for 2 whole days when they were on a family vacation. My niece survived just fine and managed to love the rest of the trip. My sister seemed shocked that taking away her daughters phone was an option. It was HILarious...it seems that many parents think that their kids property is owned by their kids, and they want to be friend instead of parent. The cell is yours (the parents) when the parents say so. End of story.

I guess my point is that issues only occur and continue to occur b/c parents don't set up rules and make their kids abide by them. You make the rules and there are no more issues.

When we moved to Long Island, New York from suburban Ohio, I bought my DD6 a cell phone (call it a little big-city-paranoia!). Actually, the phone itself was free with the addition of the new line on our plan. She is now 8 and has never abused it. She has the home number, my husband's and my cell phones, my sister, and 911 pre-programmed on speed dial, so it was pretty much the same as the Migo (only cheaper) -- press and hold 1 for me, et cetera. She knows how to dial other numbers but knows she's not allowed. I'm not as NY-paranoid as I was but I still think it is good for playdates and sleepovers. And she brings it with her when we go to Disney, just in case God forbid we ever got separated. True, we didn't need it when we were growing up, but we didn't need a lot of other things that are part of everyday life for our children today, and I happen to believe you can never be too careful. If it gives her (or me) an added feeling of security, I don't see the harm in it.

And as far as playing outside, again, there must be supervision. Certainly I am not on top of her, but if she is outside playing, I am also outside unless she is in our backyard. Far too many children disappear while out playing somewhere. Some may say I have too much of a tight reign on her, I say, safety first.

I never let my daughter outside unless she has supervision. Doesn't it shock you how many people don't do that?! My DD was on a playdate and when I went to pick her up she and her friend were outside with her friend's toddler brother throwing large rocks at a boulder which were ricocheting back at their heads! They then proceeded to tell me they'd been galavanting through the woods and ravine behind her house alone!! The mom, who I never would have suspected of being so irresponsible, was inside on the phone! :furious: I've told my DD from now on her friend comes to my house if they want a playdate.

I bought my GK (now 13) a TracFone last Christmas. He's in middle school and frequently stays after, so I felt the phone was "sort-of" necessary.

The phone included a year of service and 400 minutes, as he uses the minutes up he has to buy new ones himself.

My only wish is that the phone had "parent minutes" and "kid minutes" ... where I could put minutes on his phone that could only be used calling or receiving calls from specified phones (my cell, my work, my home).

I let my oldest DD9 use mine when she is at sleepovers but only then. I know sooner than latter she will need one of her own but I am holding out under she is mopre into after school things.

When we move I am thinking of just getting another cell to use as the "home phone" and not get a land line. When one of the girls go to friends then they can take that one.

Got my DD the Migo (from Verizon) when she was 9 because she and I were going to Disney by ourselves and I didn't like the idea of not being able to call if she got lost. We just added her to our plan (another $9.99 a month). Worked great for what we needed, but didn't much like the phone. Only had the capability of dialing 4 pre-programmed numbers and 911. It became a pain when she would go to my mom's house, to have to re-program in all the pertinent numbers for the time she was there. Finally just went ahead and got her a real phone. However, I called Verizon and was able to have them shut off the internet and texting functions, so I didn't have to worry about a $1000 surprise phone bill. :rotfl2: Makes me feel better knowing she has it in case of emergency and I also bought a phone that has chaperone capability (for an extra fee) where you can basically track their phone via satellite.

My DH and I don 't understand the need for phones in the elementary level. When our niece was in the fourth grade, she got one, and I think our mouths dropped open!! Obviously, my son won't be getting one when he is in fourth grade next year.

I don't think I am hugely overprotective, but he does stay with us at the mall or when we are out. He is allowed in our yard by himself, but he has been drilled over and over what to do if a stranger approaches. I trust all his friends' parents. We have been called in the middle of the night because he was having asthma problems. He just isn't by himself yet.

My DH doesn't think kids need them until they can drive. I think I will probably say a little younger, but not until he starts going places without an adult. I wouldn't even trust my DS not to lose it. He forgets his homework often enough!

I am contemplating buying one for my DS9...he hasn't asked for one, but I was only going to "send it" with him went he went to his Dad's on weekends...there have been times when he's asked his Dad if he could call me (when he wasn't feeling well) and his Dad said no. This way, if he ever needed me, he could call. May be a Christmas gift...

We have one that used to be DH (he now has a phone through his job) and we keep it for DD to use at specific times. DD is 8 and I feel a lot better knowing she has the phone clipped to her belt loop. Whenever we go to any busy public place, she "wears" the phone. She knows the phone rules and has never used it w/out permission. Just yesterday, we were at the zoo with some friends & DD was having a tough time staying right next to me. There was just so much to distract her & I felt safer knowing she had the phone "just in case". BTW, we've been using it this way for nearly 3 years. The phone has never been lost or damaged. And, thank God, she's never been seperated & needed to use it.
I think it's a personal decision & that whatever is right for you is the best choice.

My ds is 7 and has an old pre-paid T-mobile phone that used to be my dh's. He takes it when he goes to friend's houses and when he's out riding his bike. I just need to call him to come home instead of walking down the street to get him. Half of the time, though, he either doesn't know where it's at or it's not charged. He won't be getting a real phone for quite some time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter