You wish you could report people renting rooms 10 months out?

Do you wish DVC would intake reports of rentals 10+ months out?

• Yes

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • No

Votes: 77 49.7%
  • Do not care

Votes: 63 40.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
They do not need to add in an extra verbiage in the deed since it already says no commercial use.

The letters about 20 reservations are not in the contract.
Yes, this is true. It is in the same paragraph that DVC say rental is personal use….

How many more times can we kick this horse.

Rentings points is different than renting a room.

Sounds like I didn't word it properly.
Not exactly the same but a distinction without a difference IMO. The amount of restrictions on renting points/reservations are fine with me and I’m not interested in dictating how anyone else uses their points. And I wouldn’t have any interest in policing my fellow members and reporting them in any case, no thanks.

I say it’s pretty bad right now…

View attachment 739287

From a Facebook group. One owner.
"Bad" depends on how you view the list. Of all those listed, there are only four, one BWV standard studio reservation, and two Riviera Tower and one standard view studio reservations, that members who own the particular resorts may not have been able to get at 11-months out for the times provided, and even if there were no renters those rooms would have still been difficult to get at 11-months out for those times.

Last edited:
I'm torn on the whole issue. I have only rented out extra points once and was glad to be able to do so. I have also had to walk a reservation before, which I found to be highly annoying. Other than the "karma factor" or the old saying "do unto others...." I'm unsure what a workable solution to spec reservations would be. The example most often cited is spec reservations over the holidays, which for us doesn't matter. We would never go to WDW over the holidays. So which spec reservations are okay, and which ones are not?

OK. I'm going to ask because I want to know. You say you want to report "these people." I want to know how you intend to do this in its simplest form.

How do you know what their names are and exactly what dates and resorts they "did this" for? If you don't know this, there's nothing to report to begin with, and if you do, I want to know how you got this information because I don't think it's all supposed to be public information.

in 2007 Disney defined commercial as a store front or Restaurant, or more than 20 rentals in a calendar year.

Furthermore Disney has expressly said repeatedly and has published that member can rent their unused points.

If we a talking week long, 2 bedroom rentals at Christmas time, I going to assume we are talking 250 to 300 points. You are not going to see very many people making 20 of these reservation.

Get up earlier on the day the 11 month window opens, and book the room you want. That's what I do.
Haha - obviously you don't own at Boardwalk.

And when that doesn’t work, walk. There is a point where it devalues the product.
Same as above. You've got to get the first night to be able to walk. I was good with BWV until about 4 years ago. Haven't gotten it first try or walking since then. Have to use the waitlist at 11 months and that's not even working for January 2024. Maybe it will work as time goes on.

They do not need to add in an extra verbiage in the deed since it already says no commercial use.

The letters about 20 reservations are not in the contract.

Except they have to have what would be a reasonable definition “renting for commercial purposes”

You can’t put any language in that says a certain percentage of points must be used by owners because that is a change to the POS.

They can lower the definition of commercial purposes to be lower than 20 rentals to trigger a review of one’s account, but they can’t redefine personal use in any meaningful way because the POS says we can rent but not for commercial which indicates it’s the commercial purposes definition that matters.

Haha - obviously you don't own at Boardwalk.
Nope, but if I did and I need cash or wanted to rent my points because I couldn’t use them, I would get up early the morning the booking window opened and book Christmas week and rent it for a huge profit, because that is how you maximize the value of your points….

Don’t be mad someone else followed the rules and got what they wanted

Nope, but if I did and I need cash or wanted to rent my points because I couldn’t use them, I would get up early the morning the booking window opened and book Christmas week and rent it for a huge profit, because that is how you maximize the value of your points….

Don’t be mad someone else followed the rules and got what they wanted

I'm not mad. I'm just stating a fact as it applied to me as I've tried booking. It's not wrong to wish for success or to talk about it.

Also, it could even become a major issue for other resorts, e.g., how many resales and DVD sales have occurred for BWV withIn the last four years with no one telling the purchasers that it may be impossible to get standard view studios or 2BRs even at 11-months out most of the year;

You can add Boardwalk View to the list now. And even at times, garden view. I was eventually able to get a combined garden view and boardwalk view split reservation in late November/early December. Garden view first and then a few BW view showed up. January has been a no go, so I'm using my Beach Club Villa points and still trying to get something else.

Someone mentioned 2 step authentication - didn't they try this in November and it flopped? Would it help with booking? Are bots beating some of us out?

Except they have to have what would be a reasonable definition “renting for commercial purposes”

You can’t put any language in that says a certain percentage of points must be used by owners because that is a change to the POS.

They can lower the definition of commercial purposes to be lower than 20 rentals to trigger a review of one’s account, but they can’t redefine personal use in any meaningful way because the POS says we can rent but not for commercial which indicates it’s the commercial purposes definition that matters.
I think the legal definition of "commercial" would give them the wiggle room to enforce the policy any way they saw fit.

I think (hope) we can all agree it stings to get completely shut out of a resort at 11 months. No one was told when they bought in that you would need to walk into a reservation for 3-5 weeks ahead of time. But is there an easy answer besides walking it in at 4-6 weeks? Then 7-8 weeks? How long does the game go? Not sure….

I think the legal definition of "commercial" would give them the wiggle room to enforce the policy any way they saw fit.

They do have the ability to define commercial. But they also have a POS that says you have personal use and personal use is already defined to include “owners, guests of owners, and renters.

They can’t come back now and change what that means without it being a material change to the contract..which required a vote.

So, commercial purposes is the part not defined and up to the discretion of Disney. But again, they have to include what would be reasonable to be seen as renting for commercial purposes..

They do have the ability to define commercial. But they also have a POS that says you have personal use and personal use is already defined to include “owners, guests of owners, and renters.

They can’t come back now and change what that means without it being a material change to the contract..which required a vote.

So, commercial purposes is the part not defined and up to the discretion of Disney. But again, they have to include what would be reasonable to be seen as renting for commercial purposes..
They could define commercial use as any proceeds in excess of $500. My only point was they used wiggle words in the POS to control the product as they saw fit.

Reactions: ehh
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter