You think you have a picky eater? Buffet help!

jeniamt

DIS Veteran
Okay, here is the deal. DD11 is super picky. She eats no meat and doesn't like any food that is mixed with other foods. She eats plain pasta and rice and all raw or steamed vegetables. Of course the veggies need to be completely plain... no butter or sauce. Only salt. She also likes to eat a lot of fresh fruit. The only "kid food" she will eat is pizza and french fries. She is pretty much, a big pain in our you know whats! Not so bad at home, but it is hard to travel with her.

I have booked Crystal Palace where I know she can fill up on pizza and fresh fruit. Plus, in the past, they have had steamed broccoli or green beans which are both favorites of hers.

Looking for another dinner buffet suggestion that will make mom and dad foodies happy and keep her nourished! Thanks!

Both Chef Mickeys and the Cape May dinner buffet had a plain veggie and cheese pizza in the "kids" area of the buffet. Also they are really good about bringing things out that aren't on the "menu" if you need something without a sauce (like rice, pasta or veggies) All you have to do is ask!

Okay, here is the deal. DD11 is super picky. She eats no meat and doesn't like any food that is mixed with other foods. She eats plain pasta and rice and all raw or steamed vegetables. Of course the veggies need to be completely plain... no butter or sauce. Only salt. She also likes to eat a lot of fresh fruit. The only "kid food" she will eat is pizza and french fries. She is pretty much, a big pain in our you know whats! Not so bad at home, but it is hard to travel with her.

I have booked Crystal Palace where I know she can fill up on pizza and fresh fruit. Plus, in the past, they have had steamed broccoli or green beans which are both favorites of hers.

Looking for another dinner buffet suggestion that will make mom and dad foodies happy and keep her nourished! Thanks!

I just wanted to say that you have described my son's (10) eating habits exactly! I feel a little better that I am not the only parent with such a picky eater.

Both Chef Mickeys and the Cape May dinner buffet had a plain veggie and cheese pizza in the "kids" area of the buffet. Also they are really good about bringing things out that aren't on the "menu" if you need something without a sauce (like rice, pasta or veggies) All you have to do is ask!

Thanks for the info and its nice to know that they will bring something special out as well. DH was interested in Biergarten but I think that might be a lot to ask of DD11. Sometimes the smell of meat makes her feel queasy. We are taking her to Le Cellier though, so she will just have to deal. My thought about Biergarten is, if I'm going to a buffet, I would at least like the kids to get their daily fruit quota in at that meal. Not so sure the German buffet will fit that bill. But maybe I'm wrong. I just don't know enough about that restaurant.

I just wanted to say that you have described my son's (10) eating habits exactly! I feel a little better that I am not the only parent with such a picky eater.

Thank you for posting. Sometimes its a little embarrassing when people find out about her eating habits. Especially if she is invited to someone's house for a meal for the first time. People will assume they can make her a pb&j sandwich or something, but no. She doesn't eat sandwiches! We usually send her with an individualized bag of cooked pasta and a bag of veggies or fruit with her wherever she goes!

Our DDs are grown now, but both of them and DW are very picky. We're talking meat/potatoes, don't you be putting any funny sauce on anything picky. They all LOVE Boma! Seems there are enough plain/ordinary things for them and ample "different" type things for me that makes it perfect for us.
:earsboy:

Unfortunately, I totally understand. DD12 has sensory issues, ocd, aspergers... and reacts badly if she eats anything with color dyes. Food is a huge issue here. This is the reason I LOVE Disney. They have always dealt so well with her issues.. In fact, more than one chef has come and spoken to her to see what she would like to eat and have made things special for her. Jenna also doesn't like food to touch each other. The difference I see between my dd and yours is that Jenna loves seafood.. lobster, crab, shrimp and she is in her glory, throw some watermelon for dessert and we are good to go. No bread here either. You will find Disney to be wonderful and will never vacation elsewhere!:goodvibes

Thanks for the info and its nice to know that they will bring something special out as well. DH was interested in Biergarten but I think that might be a lot to ask of DD11. Sometimes the smell of meat makes her feel queasy. We are taking her to Le Cellier though, so she will just have to deal. My thought about Biergarten is, if I'm going to a buffet, I would at least like the kids to get their daily fruit quota in at that meal. Not so sure the German buffet will fit that bill. But maybe I'm wrong. I just don't know enough about that restaurant.

Wait. You're going to tell your husband "no" to eating at a restaurant he wants to try just to accommodate a stubbornly picky 11 year old? No way that would fly in my house. Let her be picky if you want, but don't let it impact the rest of the family. That doesn't seem fair.

ETA: Biergarten is usually a hit with picky eaters anyway. Spaetzle is pretty much just plain noodles!

Wait. You're going to tell your husband "no" to eating at a restaurant he wants to try just to accommodate a stubbornly picky 11 year old? No way that would fly in my house. Let her be picky if you want, but don't let it impact the rest of the family. That doesn't seem fair.

ETA: Biergarten is usually a hit with picky eaters anyway. Spaetzle is pretty much just plain noodles!

When I first reat the OP's post I thought the same. As I read on, however, I changed my mind. This child is eating quite healthy. It must be difficult to accomodate her but in the end, she might be a healthier child for it. I say, talk it over with the chef, and explain her needs. I've always found the restaurants in WDW quite accomodating, and I think everyone in your group can be made happy. Now, if the smell of meat is making her ill, you will have to take that into consideration. Does she feel ill at you home, when the rest of you sit down to a roast, or any meat based dinner?

I agree. In every restaurant there should be something to find to eat. My son is somewhat picky and if he ends up with bread and chocolate milk for dinner because he doesn't want to try anything, than that's what he has. The rest of the family doesn't lose out because he is stubborn.

I would never send him to a friend's house with a baggie of plain pasta either. If he can't eat at a friend's without causing a problem, he would have to decline the invitation.

When I first reat the OP's post I thought the same. As I read on, however, I changed my mind. This child is eating quite healthy. It must be difficult to accomodate her but in the end, she might be a healthier child for it. I say, talk it over with the chef, and explain her needs. I've always found the restaurants in WDW quite accomodating, and I think everyone in your group can be made happy. Now, if the smell of meat is making her ill, you will have to take that into consideration. Does she feel ill at you home, when the rest of you sit down to a roast, or any meat based dinner?

There no source of protein in her diet - how can that be healthy? I'm not suggesting that everyone needs meat in their diet, but some protein is required.

OP - at all the WDW buffet meals I've been to, there were always "standard" type dishes (even Boma). I also agree with people above - the WDW chefs are very accommodating. If pasta is on the menu, I'm sure you can get it without whatever sauce is supposed to be on it (same with the vegetables).

Hi Jeniamt,

I have some experience with picky eaters. Both of my girls have a very odd selection of preferences, and I do not eat meat. This makes it funny for my DH when we go to Disney. We go to the Biergarten and we love it.

Both of my girls eat salad, and they have that as well as a great selection of fruits. They also have rolls made from pretzel dough, and that is really yummy too. The soups are also very good. My DH goes for the meats, and he says they are wonderful. The selection of veggie are varied too. Plus, if you are going when the band is performing it adds so much to the experience as a whole.

I think it would be a good idea and that you would all have a great time!!
Have Fun!!

Thanks, Britard! I have a picky eater, too, and was worried about whether Biergarten would fit the bill. Off to make ressies!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter