You REALLY need to go to Disneyland

We spent a couple of weeks in SoCal in November. My husband had to work out there and DS and I travelled with him. So much natural beauty there. I want to go back. Of course, we spent some time at DL. We are WDW veterans, but it was our first DL trip. I guess the best way I can sum up how we felt about DL is this...you can really feel when you are there that this is a park that a father created for his daughters. Especially when you are in Fantasyland. The entire park was so sweet and nostalgic. We just loved it. Of course, we love WDW, but there now is a special place in our hearts for DL, too. And, for all you coffee lovers out there, the coffee was WAY better than WDW. :-)

Been to WDW 6 times since getting married and having kids, plus another 5 as a child. I absolutely love WDW, and always will. But, after going to DL twice, I finding myself dreaming of our return to Walt's park. To sewingmolly's sentiment that DL is superior to WDW in many ways, I couldn't agree more. :thumbsup2

You expressed my feelings exactly. We have only had two visits there but I would go back in a minute! As we live in Alabama WDW is much closer with only a 1 1/2 hour flight but I LOVE visiting DLR. One poster commented on the mistakes made with DLR but there mistakes at WDW as well. Each park has it's own merits and Disney charm.

I totally agree with you! I grew up going to DL (pre CA) but we just took our first family trip there after 3 long visits to WDW. While I love both places, DL definitely has some advantages and I was amazed how much time was saved not having to use any transportation. We just booked a trip for this Oct. again- my kids said they wanted to go back to DL again before WDW (DL is a little closer to us than WDW, but neither is super close). We are excited!

The lack of additional land was just one of many problems with DL. Walt worried about the guest base being too local and here we are 57 years later and DL still has mostly local guests. Most people from around the country (or the world) will not make the effort to visit DL.

Walt viewed DL as a good first attempt but he considered it to be a failure. After all, that's why he bought all that property in Florida. He leaned from all those DL mistakes and his plans for the MK rectified most of the DL problems. The ultilidors at WDW is just one of many improvements that owe their existence to the poor design and construction of DL.

DL was a great prototype and it served its purpose well. It’s fun to visit DL and look at all the flaws there and to see how those problems were overcome with the better design of the MK. :thumbsup2

Totally not what Walt told us as we sat next to him at the Carnation Gardens for 2 hours one beautiful California night.

The visitors at DLR were from all over the world while Walt was alive and long after. Not sure when you started going there but even after WDW was built and we were there we visited with people from all over.
I'm not sure Walt (from the way he presented himself to my family) would even approve of what's going on at WDW in particular or any of the Disney family of parks and ventures.

The ONLY thing I disagree with is the temperature. It's been searingly hot in the summer the one or two times we went then.

Whats searing at Disneyland would be considered a cold snap at WDW!! I live in Arizona where its 110+ in Phoenix yet summers at WDW kicked my butt big time!! 95 degrees and 90% humidity is normal for WDW but is something that Disneyland rarely would see except a few unseasonably hot days.

here we are 57 years later and DL still has mostly local guests.

Walt viewed DL as a good first attempt but he considered it to be a failure. After all, that's why he bought all that property in Florida.

DL was a great prototype and it served its purpose well. It’s fun to visit DL and look at all the flaws there and to see how those problems were overcome with the better design of the MK. :thumbsup2

I think you're a bit revisionist there!! Disneyland is has a very high number of Asian tourists while WDW has many from Europe. But yes, there are more locals at DLR since LA is far larger than Orlando. Disneyland was never considered a failure. It was a massive success. So much so Walt wanted something far bigger that wasn't possible in California.

Sure Disneyland taught him a few things to change at MK. But MK was built with many notable corners cut as well. Compare FL at MK to DL. DL's has far more attention to detail in the buildings and ride facades (small world especially). At MK, FL tents, a miniature small world facade and Pirates was cut in half at MK. I do agree somethings were improved at MK, but I also see where tight budgets forced some major cutbacks. I go to MK and see all the details at DL that were left out at MK. But for me, WDW and DLR are both great places to visit!

I agree, Walt didn't consider Disneyland a mistake, but he did have regrets: Disneyland was his dream - Disney World was his vision.

As for planning a trip to Disneyland, we're in the process of planning one for May 2013. I haven't been there since I was three years old and the only thing I remember is crossing the street to get there.

80 hour round-trip in a car - it better be worth all the hype lol!

I just got back from a 5 day 4 night trip to Disneyland. Toured the LA/Hollywood area one day. Stayed at the Grand Californian for 2 nites and spent 1 day in the parks. I definitely see the positives of DL with having the 2 parks and Downtown Disney all within walking distance. I would have to say though that I miss the beautiful grounds and themed resorts of WDW. I'm sure I am in the minority. Probably need to go to DL again:goodvibes

I want to go to DL one day too :)

My SIL lives close (enough) by and I would like to have my kids enjoy time with her at a really fun place. Plus, I have never been and would love to enjoy the differences that both parks offer!

I saw a documentary that showed that there is very high crime and extreme poverty around DL. Is this found to be true by those who visit? I was told that if I visited, that staying onsite would probably be the best option. I was also told that there is rampent bedbugs in the areas around Disneyland and to be very carefull. Not trying to spead mistruths if this is, just trying to garner info about when to visit:thumbsup2

We love DL!!!! We got hooked 3 years ago when our close friends relocated to Southern California. We have been fortunate to go visit them 3 times and visit DL. We have stayed onsite at the Grand Californian...that comes with the same perks as WDW. The Dining Plan is completely different and no one really uses it. The Pirates of the Caribbean has The Blue Bayou Restaurant located inside the ride..it is sooooo cool!!! and the food is good, as well.

We had been to WDW several times and this experience was like exploring Disney for the 1st time!!

Some of our favorite differences:

*The Indiania Jones Ride..VERY COOL
*Alice in Wonderland
*Pirates of The Caribbean is different
*During Halloween and Christmas they change the Haunted Mansion into the Theme The Nightmare before Christmas (Tim Burton)
*DL also changes Small World to a Christmas Theme....so fun to see
*The Bobsled ride
*The park seems smaller because the rides are underground...WDW could not do that.
*My childhood favorite ride is still there...Mr. Toad's wild ride
*Pinocchio Ride

I see your niece is 16. We're going for one day as part of a much longer trip. I understand that WOC is great but my kids will be 9 and 13 at the time and neither tall for their age.

Would it be worthwhile to book one of the dining options to gain access? What I have read is that it is standing only. I'm concerned the kids will not be able to see what's going on. (Not that the wife and I are tall either.)

7. Transportation - To park hop, all you need is comfortable shoes. It's less than a 5 minute stroll between parks.
6. Indiana Jones - One of my favorite Disney rides. Same basic platform as Dinosaur, but completely different themeing and so, so much better (still jerky though).

1. It's the original and jam-packed with attractions all in a very walkable area.
Plus the Monsters Inc ride, the Zoetrope, Carsland opening in June, a better Space Mountain, Aladdin (the best Disney show)

I think of Disneyland as the "rides" park. The people I know who've tried both, the ones who are all about the rides (and much less about the ambiance or the little details) prefer Disneyland. I'm not that much of a rides person, and I prefer WDW. ;) Not that DL lacks the little details, and it has cool stuff for those of us who aren't into rides (Snow White grotto, topiaries and clock at It's a Small World, etc.), but it doesn't have World Showcase or Animal Kingdom or anything like as much "slow" stuff.

Plus it felt cramped to me, and I went to it first. I couldn't relax because the lands felt piled up on each other somehow. When I finally got to the Magic Kingdom, the layout felt "right," and it was like being able to kick off the formal gown and heels and put on something soft and comfy. :cloud9:

DL was a great prototype and it served its purpose well.

DL became a prototype, in some ways, but that doesn't make it a failure. The success of DL inspired Walt to expand, but notice how much of DL went directly into the Magic Kingdom -- so much that people familiar with one get disoriented in the other! DL was a success on its own terms, such a success that Walt was able to set new terms, this time with fewer limits in budget or space.

In many ways WDW is more of a failure than DL; Walt's vision was completely different from what we have today. EPCOT Center was supposed to be far more than, and far different from, the Epcot theme park, for instance. I do believe Walt would be fine with the parks as parks, but as a whole WDW is much, much further from his vision for the Florida project than DL is from his vision of the ideal theme park.

We are headed to DL for the first time in November!! :) -- I printed your top 10 list.

Glad you had a fun getaway weekend!!

Really? I'd have thought SoCal would be just as hot as Central FL in the summer but with less humidity. Is it really cooler there in July or August than at WDW? That would be the perfect excuse for me to get my crew to the West Coast parks because it looks like we'll be stuck with summer travel in 2013.

Colleen, several years in a row we took summer vacations out west. Drove from Missouri across the Rockies, through the desert southwest and some of the most amazing scenery on Earth. At the end of the trip...... we ended up at DL. The weather in June was still gorgeous, especially compared with Florida. Most days we needed a jacket in the morning. Only 1 day in June did we ever hit "hot" weather. It hit 102 that day. Then by evening...... we needed jackets. But without the humidity, it's normally quite lovely (not 102 though!)

The only reason we keep going back to WDW is the value resort/free dining combo. We can stay a lot longer for the money with that deal. I like being immersed in the Disney feel and staying on-site, but there are no Disney value resorts in CA.

I have been to DL a handful of times, and enjoyed every visit. I agree with the origingal poster's list of 'must do's.' We are going again in August. My best friend lives in So Cal, so we are making it a point to do a couple of days at the parks. I enjoy the differences in both parks. It's all about preference, but I enjoy when I have an opportunity to be apart of anything that has to do with Disney! My friend lives about 45 minutes away, so I think this trip we are going do an overnight. If anyone has any suggestions for hotel options, I'm all ears...

Really? I'd have thought SoCal would be just as hot as Central FL in the summer but with less humidity. Is it really cooler there in July or August than at WDW? That would be the perfect excuse for me to get my crew to the West Coast parks because it looks like we'll be stuck with summer travel in 2013.

It feels much cooler. We've been to WDW in June several times in the past, and it is hot. We've been to DL in July, and there was no comparison. The funny thing was that the locals around us in CA were complaining about how hot it was. We were just laughing because it felt to much cooler than FL in early June, and so much cooler than we were at home the day before we got there. We didn't feel hot at all. Unlike WDW where it is pretty much hot the entire day. In CA, it is still fairly cool (in summer terms) in the mornings and evenings, and then there are a couple of hours mid-afternoon where it heats up. We have been to DL in June the last 2 years and the weather was perfect. The only time I can remember even remotely feeling hot was standing outside in the direct sun for an hour waiting for Rapunzel.

Don't forget Fantasmic! The DL Fantasmic is so much better than the WDW version. I love the Peter Pan section with the pirate ship!

I completely agree the Indiana Jones ride is worth the trip alone. I don't care for Dinosaur, but Indy is probably my favorite ride at any of the Disney parks. I also agree that the Aladdin show is the best I have seen in any of the Disney parks.

The Monsters Inc. ride at CA is pretty cute too, and that is another one you can't get at WDW.

Plus, they got the Little Mermaid ride open way before WDW. We rode it last summer!

I see your niece is 16. We're going for one day as part of a much longer trip. I understand that WOC is great but my kids will be 9 and 13 at the time and neither tall for their age.

Would it be worthwhile to book one of the dining options to gain access? What I have read is that it is standing only. I'm concerned the kids will not be able to see what's going on. (Not that the wife and I are tall either.)

We got a fastpass which guarantees you a place to stand. After that it's like Fantasmic, the earlier you return the better your view, how early depends on crowd levels. This weekend we got pastpasses for the first show in the blue section and then returned about 10 minutes before it started. I would recommend earlier, especially for people under 5'. The viewing area isn't flat ground, it's terraced so that helps. We didn't do the dining package, because we were short on time and there are set menus which didn't appeal to us.

This thread from the Disneyland boards has all the details http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2542717

I saw a documentary that showed that there is very high crime and extreme poverty around DL. Is this found to be true by those who visit? I was told that if I visited, that staying onsite would probably be the best option. I was also told that there is rampent bedbugs in the areas around Disneyland and to be very carefull. Not trying to spead mistruths if this is, just trying to garner info about when to visit:thumbsup2

I think that depends on how you define "around" DL. I have friends who live in the area (another reason I'd love to get out there!) and none of them describe the immediate vicinity of DLR as dicey in the least. In fact, most of the DL locals I know have their own favorite off-site/Good Neighbor resorts and tell me that the "benefits" of being on site at DLR aren't make-or-break the way they are at WDW.

Colleen, several years in a row we took summer vacations out west. Drove from Missouri across the Rockies, through the desert southwest and some of the most amazing scenery on Earth. At the end of the trip...... we ended up at DL. The weather in June was still gorgeous, especially compared with Florida. Most days we needed a jacket in the morning. Only 1 day in June did we ever hit "hot" weather. It hit 102 that day. Then by evening...... we needed jackets. But without the humidity, it's normally quite lovely (not 102 though!)

The only reason we keep going back to WDW is the value resort/free dining combo. We can stay a lot longer for the money with that deal. I like being immersed in the Disney feel and staying on-site, but there are no Disney value resorts in CA.

That's the sort of thing I'm thinking would be fun. My oldest is 14 and would appreciate combining our Disney fix with some "cooler" experiences, and we've been wanting to take the kids out west for a long time. I doubt we'd have the time to drive cross country - getting DH to agree to close up shop for a 2 week trip is a major victory, I don't think I could push it much longer - but in brainstorming about it we both like the idea of flying into LAX to spend a few days touring DLR and the other SoCal highlights, then renting a car to drive up the coast, seeing the sights and visiting family in Grant's Pass before flying home from Portland or Seattle.

The relatively low airfares from Detroit to Orlando combined with free dining have kept us coming back to WDW over many other destinations for the last few years, but with my son only a year and a half away from high school our days of traveling during free dining are numbered. We're going to have about a 4 week window next summer for vacation, between mid-July when baseball ends and mid-August when football begins, and that's just a bad time for WDW - hot, sticky, crowded, and expensive. After poking around on Weather Underground's trip planner it seems like it would be a good time for a couple weeks on the west coast, though.

I completely agree the Indiana Jones ride is worth the trip alone. I don't care for Dinosaur, but Indy is probably my favorite ride at any of the Disney parks.

I totally agree! Indy is my favourite ride from any park anywhere! I could ride it over and over and over. Sure wish it was in WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter