You liked whaaat the most?

Hisgirl

DIS Veteran
We're taking our grandsons age 9, 7, 6 to WDW for their first visit. We'll be staying at Fort Wilderness in a cabin.

I have my own ideas of what is fun in the parks, but for those who have gone for an initial visit with similar age boys, what did they actually say they liked? In each park...?

I'm guessing it may not be the same things I'm thinking.

Once when I took my little uns, age 2 and 4, I asked my DD what her favorite ride was and she answered, "The stwoller" :blush:

I like to learn from experience but I truly appreciate when I can learn from the experience of others. :)

Our initial visits were at a younger age. However, my eldest son has had trips at 6, 7, and 9. His favorite thing at 9 was Star Tours. I think he would have spent all day doing that over and over and over had we let him! The Indiana Jones Stunt show was a favorite of his at all those ages - and of my youngest son at 3. Though my eldest enjoyed Fantasmic at 9, he rated it his absolutely top favorite at 7 when he saw it for the first time. Another favorite is Test Track, but it was not open on our last trip due to upgrading. One of his favorites was unexpected, Ellen's Energy Adventure was in his top three for the visits at 6 and 7.

Epcot was the favorite park of the four usually, with AK actually being a flop every time except the very first when he was barely 3. And then he only liked it since he was obsessed with digging in the sand. With the exception of this last trip, Epcot has always been his favorite park. He still loves Epcot, but DHS inched ahead.

He loved the Kim Possible/Agent P Missions in World Showcase of Epcot. He loves most of Epcot.
And he loves, loves the new card game that is in MK. I can't remember what it's called, but you're allowed one pack of cards per day per ticket. (It's free). Then you go on missions throughout the park. He liked both the missions and collecting the cards. He did that for the first time at 9, as it wasn't going on before that.

Another thing he loves is the Lego store at DTD. We would get there at opening, which was 10am whenever we went. They have lego car building and racing out front. We would pull him away two hours later. It's free to build and race - so easy entertainment!

Our initial visits were at a younger age. However, my eldest son has had trips at 6, 7, and 9. His favorite thing at 9 was Star Tours. I think he would have spent all day doing that over and over and over had we let him! The Indiana Jones Stunt show was a favorite of his at all those ages - and of my youngest son at 3. Though my eldest enjoyed Fantasmic at 9, he rated it his absolutely top favorite at 7 when he saw it for the first time. Another favorite is Test Track, but it was not open on our last trip due to upgrading. One of his favorites was unexpected, Ellen's Energy Adventure was in his top three for the visits at 6 and 7.

Epcot was the favorite park of the four usually, with AK actually being a flop every time except the very first when he was barely 3. And then he only liked it since he was obsessed with digging in the sand. With the exception of this last trip, Epcot has always been his favorite park. He still loves Epcot, but DHS inched ahead.

He loved the Kim Possible/Agent P Missions in World Showcase of Epcot. He loves most of Epcot.
And he loves, loves the new card game that is in MK. I can't remember what it's called, but you're allowed one pack of cards per day per ticket. (It's free). Then you go on missions throughout the park. He liked both the missions and collecting the cards. He did that for the first time at 9, as it wasn't going on before that.

Another thing he loves is the Lego store at DTD. We would get there at opening, which was 10am whenever we went. They have lego car building and racing out front. We would pull him away two hours later. It's free to build and race - so easy entertainment!

Ellen? Oh Lordy! :faint: I went in April and layed down for a nap. I was actually planning on pretending it didn't exist. :hyper:

Epcot surprises me. I could see Nemo, the Imagination, maybe even soarin, but did they actually enjoy the countries? I was almost thinking they would hate it. So you say this mission thing might save the day? Not familiar about this so I need to research!

A little surprised about AK. Would have put it over HS. Interesting!

GREAT tips! Thank you so much!!
:thumbsup2

They loved the countries! My youngest two, a 6.5 year old girl and 3.5 year old boy at that time, loved looking around the stores and getting their stamps. They also liked the entertainment and the few rides in there. The 9 year old loved looking around but he was REALLY into the missions - to the point where we had to cut him off after a few hours since the younger two were ready to move on. There's a lot of science interactive things in Future World, so he really liked that. (The younger two did as well, but it was more about pushing buttons for the youngest). We did three Epcot days on our last trip. We focused on Future World for one and World Showcase for the other. Then the next day was a mix. We were supposed to actually have 4 Epcot days, and still had plenty they wanted to do, but the eldest woke up with a stomach virus on our last morning of parks so we left a day early. We ended up with 2 MK, 3 EP and 1 DHS that trip, since we had finally learned after 3 flops in a row with AK to skip it. (We also did Sea World that trip). There are some kids that love AK though - so it's worth giving it a try if you have the time. He did want more time at DHS, but the other two kids didn't need any more time there.

Our son liked the hotel pool best of all on our first trip. He was four.

My daughter liked "the big golf ball" at Epcot best (she's 5). She wanted to go back to Epcot daily. A close second was "It's a Small World".

For my 2.5 year old her favorite was riding the busses from the resort to the parks and anything flying (Dumbo, Carpets).

On our sons first trip, he was 18 months...and his favorite thing was the Disney Bus with the balloons on the windows & the (h)otel! This till day me and hubby laugh about it...and we ask him - he is 6 now - and he still remembers the stickers on the bus!

We are set to head to Disney 13 days, and we asked him what is he excited about doing or seeing & he said the BUS:rotfl2::rotfl2:

My kids at that age really enjoyed Innoventions in Epcot and also the "affection section" at Rafiki's Planet Watch in Animal Kingdom. In the "affection section" you can pet and brush goats and sheep and also see pigs and a few other animals. It really isn't all that impressive--basically a very lame petting zoo, but it is a nice break from all the other attractions. Honestly, even at age 46 I still love to go out there and brush the goats! :thumbsup2

I think kids that age will love most of the stuff in Magic Kingdom, too, of course! Have a fun trip! :)

My dses favorite has always been The Haunted Mansion.

Well, first, the pool for all of them. The pool with the waterslide! We stayed at WL last time and their pool has a slide. Highly recommend checking it out since you will be close :) All also loved the Disney boats. We took them more than the bus. So relaxing.
After that, my DS (7) loved the interactive rides (Toy Story Mania, Speedway, Buzz Light Year) and meeting the characters. Liked the train at MK (good for a rest) and the roller coasters.
DS (5) is really into animals so we did the AK safari many times. He even liked the Jungle Cruise. The daytime parades were a hit because they could 1. See and 2. Dance and move around and not just sit and watch. DS (2) was into the balloons and cotton candy! As tiring as it can be to walk and stand all day, it didn't seem to phase the kids. They loved the activity and getting the energy out.

We just went in October with my 7 year old son and almost 3 year old daughter. My son's favourite rides were Soarin' in Epcot and the Great American Movie Ride in HS. Totally shocked me!!! He rode all the coasters several times but it was these 2 "tame" rides that he liked best. I say let them try everything. You may be surprised what they consider their favourite thing. He even enjoyed the princesses as well (even though he says it was for his little sister). He actually hugged Rapunzel and we got a picture of it!!!

His absolute favourite thing was pin trading!! I loved it as much as them and I'm going to be bringing my own pins to trade next time!!!

awww, that sounds wonderful! My not to be missed list for boys that age range. I know it's not in the parks but at those ages my kids just loved The Pirate cruise which we did on a non park day, Chef Mickey is still a must do with my kids being 14 & 15 these were # 1 & 2. Not cheap but my kids had the best times, these were my sons favorites... Oh and the T. Rex restaurant in downtown Disney is fantastic for all but especially boys who are tired of the princess stuff- my son still drags me there now rotfl

Rides,
MK:the barnstormer & going to love Buzz light year space ranger spin, big thunder mountain & jungle cruise with a dole whip ice cream treat
HS: Toy story mania, lights camera action & raiders of the lost ark show
AK: Safari, African gymnasts on street, Tarzan & tree of life
EPCOT: Acrobats in China, cherry ice in japan, Test trac & spaceship earth

At your resort, we watched horses get shoes, kids loved playing in the sand, you can take the boat over to Polynesian to watch Cinderella's fireworks while the kids play in the sand & you get to sit on swings' mine also liked playing checkers outside either the cafeteria or general store. I think there is a campfire & movie by you, I never did it when mine were little but I saw a similar setup while at Caribbean beach & was instantly sorry I missed it when mine were little- but it's on my list for grand kids when they come whenever that is.

It's a magical place for all your grandsons' magical ages, I hope you have a great time!

Oh and suggestions for growing activeboys: you start each day negotiating that they can pick a prize after dinner, oddly when I did this things went easier & cheaper since they always seemed to pick those candy sand treats. Carry belly filling snacks like crackers and Cheerios & waters for meltdowns and even a pack of UNO cards for long waits, it's very kid friendly and easy to carry, you can play or they can play on the floor waiting on line or at a table in a restaurant. Also, walmart has party favor size crayons & coloring books, you wouldn't believe how easily a coloring book and a bag of Cheerios can save the day. To this day I carry snacks for my teens when we go but now they are granola bars &bagels for bigger appetites.

Wow that was a lot. Most of all have fun and enjoy!

We took DD9 on her 1st trip when she was 3. We rode everything, saw shows, swam in the pools and ate with characters. Her favorite ride was the Monorail. We returned when she was almost 5 and the only thing she really remembered about her previous trip was the monorail.

Our last trip my boys were almost the exact same ages. Some of their favorite things were Tom Sawyer's island, they love to run around and play in the fort. We always have to drag them out of there. They also really like to shooting gallery in frontierland. Buzz light year and toy story mania - boys just love shooting games ;). They have really enjoyed taking the train to Rafiki's planet watch and exploring in there (they have petrified poop - need I say more). In epcot Club Cool is their favorite place. They rarely drink soda so they think this place is the best. They had a blast doing the Kim Possible missions (Phineas and Ferb now), this kept them entertained as we walked around world showcase for Food and wine. One other thing they loved in Epcot was the store in Japan they loved looking all the toys and especially the different candies in the back. And I am happy to say they still loved going to character meals and getting autographs.

Don't forget pressed pennies and pin trading. My then 5 year old did not pin trade but the older two loved it and is one of the things they are looking forward to on our trip next week.

My boys are 8 & 11 now but have been going at least 2xs a year since they were 5 & 8.

My youngest loved the Honey I Shrunk the Kids play area in HS and the Boneyard at AK. The first time he was at the Boneyard he went down the slide over and over laughing nonstop. :goodvibes He still likes to play there but he no longer begs to stay when it is time to go.

Buzz, Barnstormer, TSMM, Club Cool, Star Tours, the Japan store, the pool & waterparks are at the top of their lists.

Seriously, everyone, these ideas are phenomenal! I'm going to go over all of them with my daughter and all these ideas will help with the week's planning. I just made family magic tour reservations. Keep the tips coming! :)

my boys are 12 & 9 now, have done many trips but they would tell you their favs are Tom Sawyer Island (this one is probably no1!) star tours, the interactive adventure at world showcase (now agent P), the japan store, test track, the boneyard playground & honey I shrunk the kids playground (playgrounds in general!) the water slide at the hotel pool, & eating lol. I say eating as it's own thing because it really felt like an attraction in itself, they wanted to try something from each country in world showcase, plus they still ask to go to chef mickeys, & if they see some new cupcakes or treats they must be tried

I took my niece when she was four, almost five. Her top 10 things had nothing to do with a ride. I know they aren't in order (except for numbers 1 and 2):

1. Swimming in the pool
2. Playing in the parks (Winnie the Pooh, Honey I Shrunk the Kids, etc.)
3. Pin trading
4. Trick or Treating in MK (MNSSHP)
5. Being made up like Princess Ariel (BBB)
6. Having dinner with Cinderella (1900 Park Fare)
7. Having breakfast with the Princesses (Akserhaus)
8. Coloring her mask and having it stamped (countries in Epcot)
9. Being picked to be in the Lion King show (AK)
10. Meeting princess Ariel

At 11 and 6 for a first visit, my daughtes both loved:

Monsters Inc Laugh Floor (MK)
Safari (AK)
Soarin & Living with the land (Epcot)
Everything at both water parks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter