You know you are a Disneyland Cast member when...

Mousecop

You can take the boy out of Disneyland, but you ca
You know you're a Disneyland Cast Member when...

- All your conversations start with "One time at Disney…"

- You never point with one finger

- You've worked with or lived with people from almost every state.

- Normal calendars confuse you because they don't start on Sunday.

- You know that "My Friday" could easily fall on a Tuesday (and it probably does)

- You can calmly say "Yes, the wait really is 30 minutes." 50 times within 5 minutes

- The term ECV makes you cringe.

- You know what Code V's, H's, and U's are.

- You speak fluent 'radio'…. 101, 104, 105, 87, 10-2, 10-4, 10-7, 10-9...and the notorious 11357...

- You know where someone can find any Disney character at any time...

- You start to read military time like its nothing, and set your computer and cell phone to it just in case.

- Even as a guest, you can't control saying "Happy Birthday!" to anyone wearing a Birthday button.

- You never wait for more than 10 minutes for any attraction...except Nemo...which is why you don't ride it.

- Anything heartwarming that happens is now a "Magical Moment"

- You can spot a hidden Mickey anywhere

- You regret not having a Fastpass every time you have to wait in a line

- You know it's a costume, not a uniform

- You can spot a Mickey antenna topper on any car that is a mile away

- You can recite preshows and even entire attraction spiels without even thinking about it

- You know what "Flashback", and "Minnie's Moonlit Madness" are.

- You use the following terms in normal conversation: ADO, ER, DCA, old admin, NOCC, pyro, Aaphasab, GC, POD, EP, WOD, and TDA...forgetting that no one outside of Disney has a clue what you're talking about.

- You know that "State College and Katella", "Harbor and Orangewood", and "Katella and Walnut" all represent a Denny's without even having to think about it.

- You start friendly conversations with complete strangers

-You know how to perfectly plan your day so that you can see Parade of Dreams, Pixar Play Parade, and Fantasmic!, while still managing to see Jedi Training Academy and Aladdin.

- Anytime you go anywhere you wonder what the story is behind the particular place

- "The Man" now becomes "The Mouse"

- You use the monorail strictly as a time saver.

- Guests butchering the real names of attractions, shows, and stores makes you want to kick something, like Autotopia, Fantasia (Fantasmic!), and The Disney Store (World of Disney)

- You live across the street from Disneyland and still leave your house an hour before your shift is supposed to start, just in case.

- Any Disney Parks commercial brings a tear to your eyes

- You know that one of the nighttime shows that is impossible to miss is the "Stroller Races down Main Street"

- You have the overwhelming urge to offer to take people's pictures

- You know how to smile and politely answer the question "Why is it raining?" (YES, we seriously get that one.)

- You think nothing of walking up to lost people and offering directions.

- You can spend a day at Disneyland without going on any rides and you still have the time of your life.

- You have seen the backside of water.

- Guests ask you for directions… when you aren't in costume

- You can speak Spanish...or at the least the Spanish part of the Matterhorn. "permanacer centados por favor."

- You know what "EPCOT" stands for. And at least two other meanings for it too.

- You've had to tell guests to stay to their right, at least once.

- You've probably quit and rehired already because you've realized that though almost any job will pay better, its just not the same...

- The term "Heat Index 2" makes you wish you called out...

- you know that getting points is not a good thing.

-You know that the Mission Tortilla Factory in DCA gives away a dozen free tortillas if you have a birthday button...so its always your birthday.

-You know how to answer the question "Do you know what time the 3 o'clock parade is?"

-Likewise, you can also answer the question: "Where, exactly, are the fireworks?"

-You know where all the dirty references are in each and every Disney movie!!

- People who visit the resort are not "customers", but "guests"...unless they are stealing.

- You know what it is like to actually "live" where you work...

- You see random children and have an urge to smile and ask "how are you today prince/princess?"

- You speak a different language that only CM's can understand... hold please, aand you're clear, heres your sign, face/fuzzy, K1, K2, K3, Courtesy, Fierce, I know, right?, Not so much, Code-D, Old school (even if you're new to the company).

- (Console attraction CM's) When you're on the cast shuttle and when someone stands up while it's in motion, you want to hit a "station-stop"!*

- You laugh at the fact that DCA uses tape and not ropes.*

- A smile comes across your face after you've told a guest exactly why you broke down and they walk away looking completely confused: "Well, train 4 backed-up in BZ4 due to a Contact Fault on Main Side and while Spur Side tried to Staged the train, our motion sensors were flagged on C-Lift and B-Lift causing us to time-out.. we do have a train that needs to be indexed so go on a few rides and try back later... thank you."

(Stolen from hasbeens.com - I love these!!)

- You know that "My Friday" could easily fall on a Tuesday (and it probably does)

- You can calmly say "Yes, the wait really is 30 minutes." 50 times within 5 minutes

- You speak fluent 'radio'…. 101, 104, 105, 87, 10-2, 10-4, 10-7, 10-9...and the notorious 11357...

- You start to read military time like its nothing, and set your computer and cell phone to it just in case.

- Even as a guest, you can't control saying "Happy Birthday!" to anyone wearing a Birthday button.

- You never wait for more than 10 minutes for any attraction...except Nemo...which is why you don't ride it.

- You can recite preshows and even entire attraction spiels without even thinking about it

- You use the following terms in normal conversation: ADO, ER, DCA, old admin, NOCC, pyro, Aaphasab, GC, POD, EP, WOD, and TDA...forgetting that no one outside of Disney has a clue what you're talking about.

- You know that "State College and Katella", "Harbor and Orangewood", and "Katella and Walnut" all represent a Denny's without even having to think about it.

-You know how to perfectly plan your day so that you can see Parade of Dreams, Pixar Play Parade, and Fantasmic!, while still managing to see Jedi Training Academy and Aladdin.

- Anytime you go anywhere you wonder what the story is behind the particular place

- Guests butchering the real names of attractions, shows, and stores makes you want to kick something, like Autotopia, Fantasia (Fantasmic!), and The Disney Store (World of Disney)

- You live across the street from Disneyland and still leave your house an hour before your shift is supposed to start, just in case.

- You know that one of the nighttime shows that is impossible to miss is the "Stroller Races down Main Street"

- You know how to smile and politely answer the question "Why is it raining?" (YES, we seriously get that one.)

- You can spend a day at Disneyland without going on any rides and you still have the time of your life.

- You can speak Spanish...or at the least the Spanish part of the Matterhorn. "permanacer centados por favor."

- You've probably quit and rehired already because you've realized that though almost any job will pay better, its just not the same...

-You know that the Mission Tortilla Factory in DCA gives away a dozen free tortillas if you have a birthday button...so its always your birthday.

-You know how to answer the question "Do you know what time the 3 o'clock parade is?"

-Likewise, you can also answer the question: "Where, exactly, are the fireworks?"

- People who visit the resort are not "customers", but "guests"...unless they are stealing.

- You see random children and have an urge to smile and ask "how are you today prince/princess?"

- You speak a different language that only CM's can understand... hold please, aand you're clear, heres your sign, face/fuzzy, K1, K2, K3, Courtesy, Fierce, I know, right?, Not so much, Code-D, Old school (even if you're new to the company).

- (Console attraction CM's) When you're on the cast shuttle and when someone stands up while it's in motion, you want to hit a "station-stop"!*

- A smile comes across your face after you've told a guest exactly why you broke down and they walk away looking completely confused: "Well, train 4 backed-up in BZ4 due to a Contact Fault on Main Side and while Spur Side tried to Staged the train, our motion sensors were flagged on C-Lift and B-Lift causing us to time-out.. we do have a train that needs to be indexed so go on a few rides and try back later... thank you."

As a parade character you don't get to hear all of these, but that was funny stuff. . .

Mark..thanks for sharing. I'll now know what to say or do, when I finally get to DL (hopefully in 2009). :goodvibes

It's scary that some of those terms still mean something to someone who worked for another theme park company (yours truly, as Disney was the creator of many procedures adapted elsewhere).

But Mark you missed the all famouse "Protein Spill" in your radio lingo section, unless sorry is that what the 11357 is :rotfl: :rotfl:

Been 7 years and I still can't point with just one finger. And I want to smile & say hello to random people who will probably think I'm crazy.

But Mark you missed the all famouse "Protein Spill" in your radio lingo section, unless sorry is that what the 11357 is :rotfl: :rotfl:

You're right! I did forget that! I remember when I was an R.O. we used to call janitorial for those guests that couldn't stand the excitement of the "Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad" whizzing them around the berm! 25 FPS was too fast, I guess ("Feet Per Second").

My last four years were in Security (and my last year in the Parking Lot - woo-hoo!!), so I busted my share of dopers and 16-year old kids who thought they could drink a case of Bud and then go into the park. I probably saved a bunch from alcohol poisoning. Of course, all the Bud (-weiser, not the other 'bud') that was confiscated mysteriously ended up at Choir Practice on Wednesday nights (payday at DL in those days) at that abandoned movie theater across the street from Harbor House, next to the Howard Johnson's. Usually the Anaheim guys would also show up, and Alice-1 would spotlight us on a flyover from time to time.

I even recall when we used to collect aluminum cans and toss 'em in the Scooter to take to the recycling center and use the money to pay for the end-of-summer party. One of the Security supervisors put out the word that anyone caught with aluminum cans in the Scooter would get days off. I don't recall it stopped anyone. In those days, the person who was last off-shift in the 'lot had to take all the cans in a plastic bag and take them home, and then hand them off when the person who was doing the recycling was next on-duty. I had a brand-new car, and took the cans home and back overnight. My trunk smelled like beer for the next year!

"11357" is the California Health & Safety code section for "Marijuana." "11350" was 'dangerous drugs' as I recall, usually PCP in those days. Most police codes are based on the penal code sections they refer to, at least in California, and before 9/11. The trend now is to use 'plain text' English to avoid interoperability problems with other agencies that don't use the same codes your agency does. "5150" was a 'mental case' (and the name of the Security Canoe Race team in 1979). "904" was a fire; "921" illegal entry. The '87' referred to above is likely an abbreviation of "10-87", which means "report to..." (in other words, "10-87 Tomorrowland Skyway for expectorators"). Often, it came out "87 Tomorrowland Skyway ...". It's different than "10-19", which was "report to the office" (usually to walk some guest from Security to the Main Gate to see that they left for the day). Most of what the Main Street, or Hub-2, Security position does, in the evening, are 10-19's.

Ahhh - - memories!

Mark

Great list, especially since a lot of them also work for WDW (I work in the parks).

I hope in a little over 4 years I will be able to tell these stories too. :wizard:

Why or why did we have 2 kids? We could be on our way in a year and a half?!:confused3 ;)

That was a fun read!:goodvibes
My husband and I always sit in the last seat of the tram so we can talk to the "All Clear" guy or gal. We like to ask "what is the Goofy-ist (little play on words) thing you've heard today?":laughing:
As a guest, I like to take the time to enjoy the cast members, their stories and tips for better enjoyment.:thumbsup2
A lot of guests just turn their minds off and wander aimlessly through the parks, hitting the attractions as fast as they can.:confused3 I find these people as grumpy, rude, unhappy and most likely not enjoying the parks. A Disney fan knows how to get the most out of each park, getting more bang for the buck. I have shared stories with Disney fans and non-believers alike, and the NB's just don't get it. They don't understand the "magic" pixiedust: of Disney and most likely never will.
My favorite saying from Cast members... "Please do not run for the tram, there is another one right behind..." (maybe not the exact words). And ya still see parents dragging kids or pushing strollers in a 50 yard mad dash to catch the tram.:rotfl2:

I had to laugh at the not pointing with one finger referrence. DS was a Disneyland CM a few years ago. He called me after his first day to tell me that the "Disney multi-finger point" came to him naturally as soon as he put on his costume. Three years since he left there, he still uses the "Disney point".

you know who this is, and what he's most famous for:

maynardgenie.jpg

:thumbsup2 :worship: :love:

:rotfl: oh my goodness that list was awesome! That stuff is so true especially knowing all the denny's, using the two finger point outside of work and the constant urge to tell people happy birthday even when Im in the park as a guest. Using the Disney language when Im around my non cast member friends, that happens so often! My mom works there too so the best thing is when we talk to each other around the rest of our family with the disney lingo and they just stand there so confused:laughing: Oh man there are just so many great truths on that list! Saying the ride spiels is like riding a bike and "permanecer sentados por favor" is like the most well known line in the whole park!:laughing:And yes the urge of helping people with the directions, easily starting conversations with strangers and taking pictures for people is so true. Its something that you just cant control once you work at Disney. I used to be so shy when I first worked there and now Im a bit less and you just become more considerate in everyday life. And yes it might be hard to believe but I know its true for me and for other cast members that I could spend a whole day there with my friends and family and not go on a single ride and that place is still amazing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter