You HAVE to try this!! EBAY your way to DISNEY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cut the boxes and turn them inside out. I buy boxes online for sending international..no time to spend looking for boxes for the items I sell all the time. If you have a Christian gift shop (or any gift shop) near you, they are a gold mine for good boxes (still have to be turned inside out, since it would take too much work to cross out everything per PO rules..I don't like to to "wrap" them, since it's too easy for the wrapping to come off) and other packing material. They call me a couple of times a week to pick up the packing stuff, and the boxes are great! Nice and heavy. Some drug stores are good, since most have a garbage just for boxes in teh back..just get permission to go dumpster diving.

I've been selling on ebay for almost six years now and I agree 100% with DMRick regarding shipping and handling. I use a fixed price for shipping everything except for oversized or overweight items, which I handle separately. The fixed price is a compromise for zone 7 break even. Break even means I eat the ebay fees and receive no return for my time, materials, or transportation. I live in the boonies and am nowhere near a FedX, UPS, or Airborne depot, and the drop boxes are too small for most packages. Thus I ship a lot with USPS and their high fees.

I DO NOT use media mail for anything but approved items, although LOTS of ebay sellers do. This only helps drive up USPS costs.
I have used Airborne for heavy items as their pick up fee is the cheapest of all of the consumer air freight shippers ($3).

I have a 5lb electronic scale that I got free from stamps.com. I also have a 50lb. postal scale that's less accurate but once you're above a few pounds all you need is accuracy to one pound anyway. I use the 5lb. scale with it's .1lb accuracy a lot for rebate submissions (just used it for the taxes...ugh).

I have found that it's usually the new ebay buyers who complain the loudest about shipping and handling charges. Those that have been around a while know enough to figure the shipping into your maximum bid, or pass altogether. Complaining will get you nowhere.

Best of luck to everyone on ebay...everybody deserves to win! The yard sale season is starting up here in the Northeast and my ebay auction listing rate is going to skyrocket.

Chris

After reading this thread I have to say I am more tempted than ever to sell stuff on e-bay. My DH has been saying we need to find a way to make money and while I think this won't bring in as much as he would like, it will definately help. I've been thinking about all the -stuff- that I don't want or need anymore - it's allot! I believe that one person's trash is another's treasure. I'm going to gather some stuff and give it a try.

Thanks for the push I needed to get rid of stuff that was just collecting dust.:D

Just be careful!

I just had a terrible experience at Ebay -- not with Ebay, but some hacker at Ebay. Somehow, someone got into my Ebay account and started selling things out of it. We have never even signed up for a sellers account -- we just buy! :) Anyway, someone was able to set up an account with them to sell (which requires financial information -- we assume they used the credit card attached to our PayPal account for that) and try to sell a laptop from the UK!!! It was going for $1,100 (I forget how many pounds that translated to) by the time I figured it out!

I would never have known until the auction was over if it hadn't been for the fact I couldn't get into my Yahoo! email account for several days. I thought it was a problem on their end -- but finally decided to send in for my password and they reset it. When I went into my account, most of my emails had been deleted. Then I went into all my other folders and found, under the Sent folder, a message sent from "me" to someone else regarding the laptop "I" had for sale. At first, I was ready to strangle my husband!!! until I looked closer at the item and realized I was now living in the UK!

Anyway, we've had to cancel credit cards, change many, many passwords and etc. just in case. It was a nightmare -- and took several days to straighten out.

It would have been much easier if Ebay had a phone number! It takes forever to email back and forth -- considering I kept thinking of more questions! Although, they were wonderful and hopefully everything is straightened out now. And I didn't even get any nasty emails from disappointed bidders, like I thought I might.

So, although we've had lots of success buying things at Ebay, I just wanted to share my story to make sure everyone keeps their eyes open regarding their accounts. Apparently, it is possible to get your account taken over quite easily. Make sure and check your account over every once in a while -- especially if you don't use it all that often!

Here is a story for some of you who may be debating the possibilities with E-bay.

I had a yard sale. Most of what was left went right to Goodwill that day, but there were some things I knew I could E-Bay. One, was a nearly-new Pampered Chef Tool Turn About, with the original box and all. I had it priced at $5 at the yard sale, and it did not go -- not even any offers! I put it on E-Bay, and now the auction is about to end at $12! All I have to do it make one trip to the PO, and I got more than double what I would have gotten from the yard sale!

I think E-bay is fun, but I myself do not have time to manage multiple auctions at one time. I do a few here and there, and I like I said, if it is a managable amount of items, I think it is a lot of fun!

This past weekend I got $10.27 - PLUS shipping & handling for 4 paperback books that I would have been lucky to get 25 cents each for in a garage sale!!

I earned over $66 this past weekend with my ending auctions and all total I wouldn't have even made $8 on this stuff if I had a garage sale instead. I don't have a very high-paying job and were it not for the fact that I need health insurance, I would stay home and "eBay" full time..

Sure wish I had done this a LOOOOOONG time ago!!

:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

Now you've got me wondering if I can sell some of the Disney infant costumes that I have!?? I bought size 18 months, and they are too little for her to use. They even still have the tags on them!! I wonder if I should give it a whirl... :confused:

Tiffany:

I've found that kids' clothes do well on ebay, definitely better than if you had a garage sale or even consignment shops. I've sold a bunch of my ds' outgrown clothes in the past and have two gro. bags full that I want to post next week. Let us know how you do!

Tiffany-
They will definately go! And one thing: Don't get discouraged if it looks like you are not getting any bids. Things really heat up in the end!

Good luck, and have fun!

OK, I jumped back in the pool.

A few years ago I had tried selling some of my DD's clothes on e-bay and was very disappointed with the amounts I received. (These were beautiful like-new clothes that actually would have brought more in a yard sale than what I got on ebay). Anyway, this time I actually did some research before I sold anything and just sold a cookbook that's been sitting on my shelf for three years for over $15.00.

Isn't it funny what people will bid on? No one has bid on my "Hassle-Free Walt Disney World Vacation" book, but someone paid >$15.00 for a cookbook!!

I just listed some videos my daughter got for Christmas (we've never opened them and have no desire to) and they are really getting some high bids. I'm excited!!

Though I don't have a lot to sell right now I am hoping to make enough to pay for all our food on our October trip. And then I'll work on making extra $$$ for our December 2004 trip.

Hey everyone--now I know that the DIS Auctions have not had many bids, but it is a great way to get started on listing items for sale. DIS Auctions does not charge any listing or selling fees, so it is free to sell your items. It's worth a shot to try them out for those of you who have never done auction selling. I have sold a few items on DIS Auctions and had some good luck. I have also bought a couple of things.

DIS Auctions

I agree with the posters here about ebay--you can buy and sell just about anything there!

Sue Ellen

Hi everyone, I am new here. I have been reading here for along time. I have found out alot of good information.

I was talking to my DH about posting on Ebay. I think that this a great idea. I just have to figure out how to post.

I say that everyone should be posting on Ebay. I am going to figure out how to do this if it kills me.

Cheri:cool:

Ah! Identity theft. Until it has happened to you it's hard to really understand the feeling of being violated. It happened to me a few years back when they used to use carbon with your credit purchases. Never caught the person and it came up on my credit for several years.

I hope you have a quick recovery.

Just another blast of reality to remind us that not everyone in the world is as honest as us DIS-er's.:(

DH and I have sold a lot of things on Ebay over the past few years. I had a Giga Pet I never used sell for $23 last week and a video I have listed this week is at $31 right now! I did not know it was out of print so it is popular:) I have sold clothing, jackets, Disney videos, etc.. DH has sold Plasticville (from train sets) that went for over $400! Who would have guessed. It was given to him by someone that did not want to move it. We have some more things to list and I am hoping they will pay for our trip to San Diego/Disneyland this August.

Well rereading this thread has now given me some more hope.

When I first read this thread, I was so gunho and thought I'd do better selling my things on Ebay than the regular tag sale way. So I bought a digital camera (been wanting one for awhile anyway). (Still trying to figure the darn camera out.) Looked high and low through the house and came up with tons of books that I've seen selling and my daughters' nicer outgrown items, took pictures and sat down and figured out how to list them. I have about seven auctions going right now and only two have gotten any bids.

I'm starting to get frustrated and I'm worried that after all the time I spent gathering the things, taking pictures and listing them, that they might not even sell!

I hope that things really do heat up at the end and I end up getting rid of the things I listed. I always have a tag sale every spring and the money goes to the Disney trips. I need to make enough to be able to pay for the hotel at US/IOA before I break the news to hubby that I've booked it!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Please keep the tips coming.

Originally posted by disneyfan551
Now you've got me wondering if I can sell some of the Disney infant costumes that I have!?? I bought size 18 months, and they are too little for her to use. They even still have the tags on them!! I wonder if I should give it a whirl... :confused:

I sold a lot of kids clothes from '99 to '01 when we moved to another town and boy are they starting to pile up! DH is threatening to take to salvation army if I don't start listing soon!

Looks like these would be good starting off items for you to list Disneyfan551. I don't know if you're a buyer too (I am) but you should have "NWT" (new with tag) in your title. Don't be intimidated if you're not a computer programmer, just start with a small group and then as you get your feet wet, you can list as your comfortable. I like to 'try' to list close sizes at the same time since I 'combine shipping' since that is a major add-on. I also try to list by season: if the stores are full of spring/summer or fall/winter and I find I'M looking to purchase a winter coat in September, then I figure that's a good indication of when to list. I usually list costumes the beginning of Sept. so that I'll maximize my traffic, but being Disney, you might do just as well anytime.

As a buyer, I hate being overcharged for shipping! If a seller charges me $4-5 shipping and I get my item thrown in a 8x10 manilla envelope with $1.50 or something like that postage, it ticks me off because I was dumb enough to assume they would send it priority &/or package it well (envelopes can get wet :rolleyes: If I have time, I always try to clarify shipping cost and how it's shipped with the seller. Any new seller or someone with no feedback should certainly be very careful to include as much detail as possible about your item and how much and how you are willing to ship.

Since most of my items are under a pound, it is easy for me to list shipping cost since the priority & first class rates are the same (no 'zones') for anything under a pound. I will ship items first class in a plastic bag inside a tyvek envelope, but depending on the starting or ending bid I will require the buyer to purchase insurance. If the item wasn't so much I option insurance. Since most of my items are under a pound and I use the free delivery confirmation, I prefer to not do insurance so I can just stick the package in my mailbox!

Sorry to be a 'welcomed guest' (?) and ramble so!

Originally posted by barbnbrian
Well rereading this thread has now given me some more hope.

When I first read this thread, I was so gunho and thought I'd do better selling my things on Ebay than the regular tag sale way. So I bought a digital camera (been wanting one for awhile anyway). (Still trying to figure the darn camera out.) Looked high and low through the house and came up with tons of books that I've seen selling and my daughters' nicer outgrown items, took pictures and sat down and figured out how to list them. I have about seven auctions going right now and only two have gotten any bids.

I'm starting to get frustrated and I'm worried that after all the time I spent gathering the things, taking pictures and listing them, that they might not even sell!

I hope that things really do heat up at the end and I end up getting rid of the things I listed. I always have a tag sale every spring and the money goes to the Disney trips. I need to make enough to be able to pay for the hotel at US/IOA before I break the news to hubby that I've booked it!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Please keep the tips coming.

----------------------

Don't fret - just be patient.. I've only been at this about three weeks now and I'm still amazed at the results.. Initially the bids came in very slow - but the last day or hours of the auctions the prices would suddenly skyrocket.. I also had a few items that received no bids at all so I immediately relisted them and guess what? They sold! And for a good price too!! Must have been that the week before the people that would be interested in those particular items just weren't around..

Today I went to the bank with a whole STACK of checks and money orders and later tonight I need to sweep the money out of my Paypal account into my eBay checking account.. The money is there to be made.. Just price your items fairly, calculate your shipping and handling fairly, contact your buyers with a friendly email immediately upon the end of an auction, package the items with care, and ship them out as soon as possible..

To coin a phrase from my granddaughter, "This is the BESTEST!!" :teeth:

:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

I just registered with Ebay today. I have been looking at auctions for about 2-3 weeks and am amazed at what some things go for.

I would like to start with some of my daughters outgrown clothes. I had a friend take digital pictures of them but I have been intimidated to list them.

I guess what scares me is the negative feedback some people leave. I also worry about the fraud some of you have mentioned. I also don't know what my next step should be. Should I try buying some things first or just list my items?

Okay, okay, I keep THINKING about selling - now it has GOT to be time to start! I wanted to mention security and FRAUD - and add that you should ALWAYS use different passwords for all of your accounts, and it is usually suggested that you combine upper case letters, lower case letters, numbers, and symbols (!@#$%) in your unique password. I, too, was a victim of fraud - and I made the serious mistake of using the same password for Paypal that I used for Yahoo. Some hacker tried to steal $1600.00 :eek: :mad: AND it took me a month to get it all straightened out.

That said, thanks for the motivation and tips on shipping - I have the priority mail boxes and I am going to start slowly with a few items of clothing that the kids have outgrown. Curious - for clothes is $5.95 for S&H too much? Any thoughts (just for ideas) - I obviously don't want to buy a scale at this point in time. I just want to add a few Disney $$$ to my bank account!!

Great thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter