Yikes!!! POR

disneyluvrsX5

Earning My Ears
I was just doing some bedbug research before our trip in less than three weeks. We are going to POR and staying in Alligator Bayou. I JUST read a report on bedbugregistry about POR Alligator Bayou!

I know that all hotels CAN have bed bugs, but yikes. This kind of makes me want to switch hotels or something. I have a serious phobia about bedbugs! What would you do? There will be my husband and I and our three kids ages 5-10.

Don't sweat it, keep your ressie.

A hotel can have no history of bedbugs and then all of a sudden someone can check in and bring them with them. Disney is really good about treating the rooms right away when they find out there is an infestation.

IMO, this whole bedbug thing is overblown. My DH stays in hotels 4 nights/wk. and has never had a problem, EVER.

To put your mind at ease, check the room really well before bringing your luggage in.

Also, with the size of your group you would have to go to a deluxe or get 2 rooms elsewhere and there is no guarantee that any other resort will be bedbug free the day you check in.

Any resort can have bedbugs. There's no point in changing your reservation; a guest may bring them into the resort you switch to just as easily.

If you're concerned about bedbugs, the best thing to do is educate yourself on how to check your room for them. Just google "check hotel for bedbugs" and you'll find all sorts of tips on what to look for.

I stayed in the mansions at POR last August, and had no problem with bed bugs. Actually never thought aout it. You'll be fine.

Can and does happen at any hotel at any time - doesn't matter where it is. Best you can do is (as said previously) educate yourself of how to look for any signs of bedbugs and go and have a great vacation at POR! It's a beautiful resort.

I honestly wish the EPA would allow DDT to be used again.....it's the only thing that kills these suckers and controls insects....

DDT may, under the tightest of circumstances possibly lead to cancer maybe, meanwhile millions of people have died of malaria and we are seeing spread of insect bourne diseases in much greater numbers....

I feel a little better. I know they can happen anywhere. With five of us and all of our belongings and clothing, it just seems like more of a chance to get them and bring them home!

There were two reports on there about POR. It seems to be something that was around the end of March. Sometimes it makes me feel better when I educate myself about them, but other times it is worse. An adult bed bug can live for one whole year without food. One year! You just hear over and over and over how HARD they are to get rid of.

The only thing that is making me feel a little bit better is that (hopefully) since there was a very recent infestation, maybe they will check more closely. At least that's what I keep telling myself. :confused3

We just checked out of POR AB on 4/1/11. We didn't have any problems with bed bugs. I do ALWAYS check the bed first, though!

Honestly, after perusing that site, I can't see how they possibly vet those bedbug reports. Looks like anyone with a gripe or grudge can come along and post a "bug sighting." So, take that site with a rather large grain of salt...
It's just like on Amazon, I only really pay attention to the reviews with the "Amazon Verified Purchase" label, all others can potentially be faked. As with all things internet, use your own judgement. :)

Do a good thorough check of the bed and mattress as outlined on many sites before you bring your bags into the room, then if nothing's spotted, go and enjoy your vacation. Just a little precaution and you'll be fine.

I honestly wish the EPA would allow DDT to be used again.....it's the only thing that kills these suckers and controls insects....

DDT may, under the tightest of circumstances possibly lead to cancer maybe, meanwhile millions of people have died of malaria and we are seeing spread of insect bourne diseases in much greater numbers....

Actually, it wasn't a cancer risk that caused DDT to be banned in the 1970s. It was other destructive environmental effects, particularly on birds. A book "The Silent Spring" by Rachel Carson spurred the ban.

We as a nation aren't going back to DDT. It was banned in 1972 for many good reasons. Stay on the topic and off the soapbox. :)

Honestly, after perusing that site, I can't see how they possibly vet those bedbug reports. Looks like anyone with a gripe or grudge can come along and post a "bug sighting."

They don't vet the reports. I'm sure there are some actual bedbug sightings on that site, but there also mosquito bites, chigger bites, no-see-um bites, PMLE, hives and other allergic reactions, and sightings of random insects that a guest thought looked like a bedbug. Without knowing what a bedbug actually looks like.

And, I'm sure, some grudge postings as well, and posts by people who think it's funny to put up a fake report.

IMO, without any verification of the reports, it's fairly useless.

I used to work at a five star hotel and we had bed bugs there fairly frequently, even before this bed bug "out break". If the hotel fumigates properly, which I'm sure Disney does, it's fine. Tips would be to keep your suitcase zipped up at all times and off the floor and pull back the sheets on the bed completely and lift up the sheets and mattress pad to see the mattress. They actually sell clear plastic zip up bags you can get to go over your suitcase when you get to the hotel so it's completely sealed and guarded against bed bugs.

I just stayed in POR in January. I had no problems with bed-bugs. It is the terrible customer service that you should be on the look-out for!:headache::headache::headache:

IMO, without any verification of the reports, it's fairly useless.

Exactly. :thumbsup2 It's sad that many people unwittingly take it as gospel or might potentially be put off by doing something they might otherwise enjoy due to sites with unsubstantiated "reports" such as that one. Very unsavory, at least in my opinion. ;)

So long I've been "online" that I'm just old, bitter and jaded now. :surfweb::laughing: I'm skeptical of most any online reviews, reports, etc. and take many factors into consideration when doing any sort of online research, be it for retail therapy, vacations or otherwise. :)

I just stayed there in February and there were no bedbugs in the room I had in Alligator Bayou. Hopefully a report of no bedbugs will help ease some nervousness brought up by another (unverified) report of bedbugs.

It is the terrible customer service that you should be on the look-out for!

Unfortunately, because it took an hour to get checked in, I am afraid for now I'm agreeing with this one. Was at Pop Century last weekend, their check-in took 10 minutes.

I do agree that the reports are unverified, but just seeing them makes me kinda nervous. I am feeling a bit better now.

The one report of the February stay does make me feel better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter