yikes! I need arthiscopic knee surgery!

Blessed_wth_Triplets

DIS Veteran
Well it turns out after a sledding accident in Dec. I need to have surgery to repair a torn meniscus. I am so worried about recovery and our upcoming trip! We are leaving in 6 months and I just want to be 100% and really enjoy this trip as it will be our last for a few years at least. Has anyone had this done and can you tell me how long your recovery was?

I'm debating whether to wait until after our trip in Sept...doc said it's really up to me and my pain level..I just don't want to get to WDW and be miserable...I don't know if increased walking would make it worse. Thanks for any advice!

Have it done. It will be about 4-5 mos., some people are really quick but, before you are back to normalish. Do the physical therapy it is the only way to fully recover. I had my left knee done. Any other questions just ask.

Been there, done that, have the t-shirt!:)

I was only off of work for a month, and it was only that long because I work retail, and am on my feet all day. I could put weight on my leg right after surgery, with the help of a crutch. The pain was mimimal. Actually, my little laser surgery for bad veins was more painful. Go figure. I still do limp a little, but only if I am extremely tired. And yeah, that does happen at Disney, but it is not anything that keeps me from enjoying the parks.

If you can have the surgery done in the next month or so, go for it. You knee will feel much better afterwards.

I've had this kind of surgery (not for torn muscle though) They kind of had to clean my joints up. Damaged tissue, rather than muscle (though isn't muscle tissue, I have no idea, I just nod at the Doctor like I have a clue what he is talking about!!) I was back at work (with crutches) within about 6 weeks.

Obviously everyone is different, might take longer for you to recover as the damage might be more severe. The pain wasn't too bad. It did kind of nag for awhile, but I would think in my circumstance I would have been fine within the 6 months time frame. I had to have a fair bit of physiotherapy afterwards, and I just know my sadistic therapist would say that the walking at WDW would be a great exercise, just don't over do it.

My favorite thing about having this surgery was that one day I was waiting for the bus, crutches and all. This guy, who must have been in his mid-eighties jumped off the bus to help me on, then did the same when I wanted to get off at my stop. Seriously, this guy was not desperately nimble himself, but his manners were top class!!

I also had my left knee done, for the exact same problem. I was putting weight on it the next day, but had several months of PT. It is all about pacing yourself and understanding when your body says you have had enough. What feels bad on Tuesday will be worse on Wednesday. Listen to your body,and you should be fine!

I'm sure it all depends on how severe your tear is & how extensive your surgery. A friend from church just had her's repaired 3 weeks ago, and she's already working out on a stationary bike. Her doctor has told her she'll be able to go skiing in a couple of weeks.

I had my knee scoped, took me 6 - 8 weeks and I was at 90%. Didnt do too much PT. Did a lot of bike riding, that was most of the PT anyway. 6 months should be fine

I had the Arthroscopic surgery and also had a Bi-lateral release at the same time. I had that done in December. I was walking on it the day of the surgery with crutches, i was down to just a cane for support about a week later.

Phyiscal Torture i mean Physical Therapy was very important. I went for about 8 weeks. Its now March and I am just able to kneel on it lightly but i am walking better then I did before the surgery.

I would say get it done asap and make sure you do everything they recommend and rehab as much as you can at PT and at home!

If you need any info or support PM me I'd be glad to answer anything you need to know!

I must be strange, because I actually enjoyed the physical therapy. :upsidedow Lots of bike riding and weight training. Plus standing on one leg a lot. The only thing I didn't enjoy was the electrodes that they hooked up to my knee. That was a little bit wierd, to say the least!

Had my 'older' knee cleaned out in September. When we traveled to Disney in December reserved an electric cart for that trip. Probably could have walked the parks but did not want to push it. Went again in February and kept up with the younger kids without a problem. Agree with other posters, everyone is different. My orthopod told me to expect a knee replacement in about 3 years.

Well it turns out after a sledding accident in Dec. I need to have surgery to repair a torn meniscus. I am so worried about recovery and our upcoming trip! We are leaving in 6 months and I just want to be 100% and really enjoy this trip as it will be our last for a few years at least. Has anyone had this done and can you tell me how long your recovery was?

I'm debating whether to wait until after our trip in Sept...doc said it's really up to me and my pain level..I just don't want to get to WDW and be miserable...I don't know if increased walking would make it worse. Thanks for any advice!

I had my surgery tweo days befor Thanksgiving and went on a cruise/land trip to disney three weeks later. Not a good choice I used a wheelchair most of the time. Now it is 3 1/2 month post op and I am doing fine. You will be in alot better shape having it than putting it off and letting the knee get worse.

I had arthroscopic knee surgery 9/13 and was in WDW on 9/21. Now mind you I am in the teens trying to hold this knee together and I had torn my meniscus, had a two inch spike of bone removed, had 5-6 inches of scr tissue that had adhered and fused to bone, in addition to a few other things done. My arthros are usually pretty painful and involve a lot of work. I used a wheelchair, walked some with crutches, and had a blast! The worst for me is always the physical torture, lol. I thought I was the only person that called it that!:goodvibes

DO NOT delay your surgery until after your WDW trip. I tore the meniscus in my right knee in August, 2006 but macho me (aka insane me) didn't even go to a doctor until January, 2007, and I was in agony by that time. Had surgery in late January, 2007. The leg & knee inflamation from walking on it for those 5+ months was excrutiating & was much worse than the pain from the surgery. Have the surgery asap and you'll be fine by September.

DH was on crutches at DL three weeks after ACL surgery, he did fine. Didn't even feel the need for an ECV or wheelchair.

don't know anything about knee surgery, but remember that even if your not at 100%, Disney is great in a wheel chair. Least thats what my grandfather told us when he went with us. He normally walks with a full leg brace (has since he was in his early 20s), so wheelchair is the only way he can do disney. As long as you can move from the wheelchair onto the ride your all set, a lot of times with priority riding. And if your feeling better in the mornings or something, start out walking and then go get one later if the need arises. Hope this might help.

As far at physical therapy time, it's going to depend on your doctor. I've had my knee scoped once (pretty much the same thing you are having done) - I had less than 3 weeks of PT and then moved to FL to do my CP. I had some pain, but I was fine. My doctor didn't even want me using crutches (which I did). On the otherhand, I know a girl who had the exact same surgery, was in a brace and not allowed to put weight on it for weeks. Then she can put like 40% weight on it or something like that and the doctor told her she won't be fully recovered for 6 months. It just depends on the doctor.

I've had two other major knee operations - ACL reconstruction. That recovery is A LOT longer and harder than a scope. There's a lovely brace that comes with it-you come out of surgery with it on, and you get to wear it for MONTHS to protect your knee (in my case my cadavor graft that is used to reconstruct the ACL). Sadly, I have a torn ACL in my right knee (the other two times were my left knee) right now, but I'm waiting until after my vacations to have it done.

When I had my ACL reconstructed last time, I had it done March 14 and I was walking just fine in about 8 weeks. I went to WDW with little pain in August.

Don't worry, you'll be fine. If you need to, you can always rent a wheelchair and ice it at night.

Good luck and have a great trip! :)

My Captain just returned to work after 2 week following surgery on a torn maniskus. He is on full firefighter duties. I think it largely depends on the size and location of the tear. But I am sure you will be well healed in 6 months no matter how bad it is.

I had what doctors said was a very bad tear. I got the surgery done at the end of April in 2005, went to WDW end of June in 2005. I was fine. The only thing I could not do, was put DD4 on my shoulders while squatting down, and try standing up with her extra weight. My knee was not strong enough. I had no pain all trip. It was a 9 day trip. I was 35 at the time and healed VERY quickly.

Just get it done now, and you will be fine.

Thanks! This is all very encouraging. I'm trying to get in with the surgeon next week and hoping his surgery schedule is not too far out. The doctor I saw yesterday said by looking at my MRI films my tear was pretty bad...they called in medial meniscus tear...but as long as I 'm good by Sept. I'll be a happy camper! I'm actually walking pretty well now and some may not notice I was even injured...it's just that I'm pretty much always aware of the dull, achey pain...praying for a good report! Thanks Dis friends!:) :thumbsup2

I'll echo the sentiment of most previous posters! Have the surgery! I just had my knee scoped a few weeks ago. I had some cartilage flapping around that was smoothed out and microfracture surgery (the doc creates little fractures to promote blood flow). Our trip is scheduled for May and I'm expecting no problems at all. Go for it! Why tolerate the pain for any longer than you have to? The sooner the surgery is done, the sooner you can begin rehab. The days of bed rest have long gone bye-bye, you'll be up and about (albeit slowly and on crutches) immediately.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter