• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Yet another WDW vet takes on DL

ckb_nc

DIS Veteran
Background: Born and raised in the South, been going to WDW since I was 9 or 10. DVC member and been to WDW too many times to count. I am 28 and know I have crossed the threshold of MK at least 50 times in my life. My oldest two daughters are certifiable Disney nuts. Two years for my oldest we took a last second very magical trip to celebrate high school graduation to WDW for 24 hours of Disney - was able to do the Mine Train the very first day it was officially opened.

Fast forward two years, middle daughter's turn and I up the ante - lets hot the west coast. Same plan - 3 days in the parks staying onsite. I had been to DL for one day 15 years ago and never DCA. Everyone else in the party included my long lost red headed nephew had never been.

Some observations:

• As DVC members, stayed in a 2 bedroom villa (4518) in GCH - loved the this hotel and it totally made the trip. The ability to walk into either park was so convenient. DCA felt like are own little park. GCH has the right blend of WL and GF to me. I really like this resort way too much for it to be that far away.
  • The closeness between parks (heard about it but has to be experienced) has us popping between parks at will. Finish riding California Screaming with a lunch reservation at Blue Bayou - no problem. Hopping parks at WDW is a planned chore. I have done 4 parks in 1 day and it took some luck and planning.
  • The weather was amazing - not dealing with the Florida heat and humidity was great. At point on Sunday the feel temperature in Orlando was 97 and 70 in Anaheim. Sweatshirts in late May??
  • DCA was pleasant surprise - feels like the best of the other three parks of WDW. WE loved Californai Screamin (but its no RnR).
  • Grizzy Freezing - our nickname - was fun. We rode three times in a row Friday afternoon in our bathing suits and then were able to jump in the hot tub at the GCH pool. That was truly fun,
  • Got to see the new Frozen show opening day and then again Sunday. Very good show but it was a huge time commitment. Think 2 plus hours to see the show. Its good but my wife and I kind like the Sing A Long more. The show just seemed to drag a bit.
  • Resort feel - Sorry but DLR lacks the WDW resort feel. Arriving Thursday night after a long flight, we just kind were there. We are so use to seeing the Welcome sign at WDW. DLR tries so hard but it is not a fair fight. GCH could be transplanted tomorrow to WDW and fit right in but even that struggles to feel super resorty.
  • Ride comparison time:
    • Loved HyperSpace - and super jealous. WDW Space is faster but so much harder to ride.
    • Big Thunder - call it a push at best but we liked WDW more. Its a long story but the slick bottoms of the seats at WDW allow me and my daughters to squish each other which is way too fun
    • Splash - wow what a absolute travesty at DL. Rode it twice to make sure my opinion was skewed
    • Indy Jones - remembered liking it better - had technical difficulties right before we got on. Still tons better than Dinosaur which I actively avoid.
    • Pirates - yeah not close - DL
    • It was nice that Toy Story Mania was not some super wait but it is the same
    • I was kind of underwhelmed by Radiator Springs Racers - I was expecting something more. Kind of missed Test Track
    • But Cars Land is the closest to HP World - and weirdly kind of hope it remains unique to DCA as it fits so well
    • Tower of Terror - sorry west coast but come see the real one sometime :)
    • Mr Toad - I totally forgotten what a strange story it was. He goes to hell in the end?
    • Pinocchio - really won't miss it
    • Soarin - there were no Smells both times which made us all mad.
    • The Pixar Parade and Paint the Night are amazing. I liked World of Color too but notnearly as much as the two parades.
  • Food time:
    • Blue Bayou - awesome place and good food. BOG is the closest thing to this at ML but that is not really fair.
    • Love the diversity of the food.
    • Can we get some churros at WDW - I know they are there but we loved them
    • We have been a character breakfast family in the past. Did the one at PCH - food was good but it was so underwhelming. The size of the restaurant and the setting felt so well unmagical. Nothing against the food - but the entire thing fely like I was eating at a dressed up Golden Corral. My wife suggested we are possibly over this experience and she may well be right. But the character breakfast at say Ohanas looking on to the lagoon with the Castle in the background, getting family style food is really been a family favorite.
    • We ate dinner the last night Wine Country at DCA. Great setting. The service was well lackluster and the food - although good Italian was on the small size.
    • I would say DLR has better food in the parks given the size of the parks compared to WDW but the sheer diversity of WDW might win out. For example, we almost never eat at AK. Just our family.
    • I do wish we had the mickey beignets at WDW
  • Downtown Disney - I know Disney Springs is still elvolving but Downtown Disney at DLR was a very pleasant surprise. We really liked it and how it worked.
  • Cast Members
    • This is the strangest one. Why - I never encounter a single CM who was rude or not pleasant. But there was never the same magical feel. Not sure why - they were super helpful especially with my middle daughter being in a wheel chair. But it was plain.
Overall park experience - DL was crowded and at times hard to get around. The narrowness with pushing a wheel chair was overwhelming at times. It felt more crowded than it was because of the narrowness. In MK, there is a couple of places in the park that are traffic jam places. At DL, there were many. Like I said, I love DCA and would trade it for HS (minus RnR and ToT) in 30 seconds.

We did early entry each day and that was a help. Weirdly on Friday, it took forever to enter DCA via GCH and by the time the park opened we had only done one ride. Oh well.

DLR has such a local vibe. So much more than WDW has. WDW is a destination more than DLR in some respects. Also, not sure if ti was just me but Spanish was the dominant language especially at DL on Sunday. not that you don't here foreign languages at WDW but there was point I was wondering if maybe I was in South America

My summary - I think every true hard core WDW vet needs to visit DL, if only to see where Walt walked and at least to me, see the place that you have seen on TV (and Soarin). I will likely be back some time down the road. It was a bucket list item for sure. Like so many said, having grown going to WDW, it is home . MK in Florida is where my heart is at. I respect DL and the legacy. We had a ton of fun with some amazing memories.

Thanks to this board for some many helpful tips. Anyone heading east I am glad to share all of mine.

P.S. One really fun thing we did which is not easy at WDW - Friday night we took an Uber to In-n-Out. Totally a California experience and fun. Not that you can not eat off property at WDW but it would be a tad more expensive.

Pinocchio has never been in WDW... Did you mean Snow White's Scary Adventure? Otherwise great review!

Great review! Funny I agree with much of what you said--except RSR. I experienced Test Track first of course (before RSR) -liked it but HATE the redo they did a few years ago. Kids too-they said they don't really care about going back to Epcot.

I grew up with WDW. Love both but for park experience pick DL. Next time I go to WDW we are spending less time at the parks and more time at the resorts. They are awesome--love Animal Kingdom Lodge!

(Of course, I'm a bit biased since we go to DL every couple month (only 6 hours away) and to WDW only very 2-3 years. )

Glad you had a good time!!

• Splash - wow what a absolute travesty at DL. Rode it twice to make sure my opinion was skewed
Agree wholeheartedly. It's just...it's sad.

Tower of Terror - sorry west coast but come see the real one sometime :)
This made me laugh. So correct.
Mr Toad - I totally forgotten what a strange story it was. He goes to hell in the end?
They closed the WDW version when I was very young, so I don't remember it. We rode the DL version, and I was like, "What the heck?"o_O
Can we get some churros at WDW - I know they are there but we loved them
New Fantasyland in the Storybook Circus section. You're welcome.

Thanks for your post. It's always interesting to hear a WDW vets thoughts on DLR.
Is WDW, as a rule, not as crowded as DL? I know it see's lots of people but is it just not ever as over-occupied?
We've been to WDW three times but it's been a while and even then it was during very slow times. The way DLR is these days with the shut downs and crowds, we're thinking of returning to WDW - or skipping Disney for a few years.

FWIW, back in the 50's the whole "Hell" thing was very popular at amusement parks. It was the style to have hell incorporated into rides and attractions - even though it didn't make sense. Walt was just doing what's popular back then.

Good review, WDW is amazing because of its size, but it is fun to hop around at Disneyland. As far as cast members. they seem to make the main criteria that you will love working there, it seems to be working.

But you did catch one of the main differences, DL is much more local, more ears, more Disney bounders, they have the social clubs and the super dedicated fans who just about live there.

Thanks for your post. It's always interesting to hear a WDW vets thoughts on DLR.
Is WDW, as a rule, not as crowded as DL? I know it see's lots of people but is it just not ever as over-occupied?

Is this true? Or does it just feel more crowded because all the people visiting are in 2 (more condenced) parks vs spread out amount 4 parks? When I compare wait times of the rides, DL seems to have much shorter. At DW, the headliners can be 90 minutes or more.

PS - There is a long discussion about crowds on the other thread. Good comments.

Last edited:
Is this true? Or does it just feel more crowded because all the people visiting are in 2 (more condenced) parks vs spread out amount 4 parks? When I compare wait times of the rides, DL seems to have much shorter. At DW, the headliners can be 90 minutes or more.

PS - There is a long discussion about crowds on the other thread. Good comments.
Most DL are there with annual passes. We hardly ever go on rides. We will stop and have a drink at the Catal Bar in DTD, walk around for a couple hours and drive home.

Sorry but DLR lacks the WDW resort feel. Arriving Thursday night after a long flight, we just kind were there. We are so use to seeing the Welcome sign at WDW. DLR tries so hard but it is not a fair fight. GCH could be transplanted tomorrow to WDW and fit right in but even that struggles to feel super resorty.

DLR isn't trying to be like WDW. Most people who try to replicated WDW at DLR leave disappointed. They're not the same, they won't be the same, Disney isn't trying to make them the same.

We've been to WDW three times but it's been a while and even then it was during very slow times. The way DLR is these days with the shut downs and crowds, we're thinking of returning to WDW - or skipping Disney for a few years.

FWIW, back in the 50's the whole "Hell" thing was very popular at amusement parks. It was the style to have hell incorporated into rides and attractions - even though it didn't make sense. Walt was just doing what's popular back then.

MK at WDW is the most popular theme park in the world. It is just physically bigger. I think DL has more attractions but WDW is just plain larger with more physical space. If you compare the area in front of the castle at DL to the area at MK WDW - WDW maybe triple in size now. The queues are larger; the walk ways are in general larger (except they stuck Aladdin in the middle of Adventureland in WDW which is a nightmare). But DL is so much more walkable even with the cutoff from Frontierland to Fantasyland now. There is that picture out there that shows DL overlaid on MK - and it all makes sense.

The fun thing as an adult is you can see exactly why Walt did Florida. I read/heard the stories so many times but it makes so much sense in person. Disney is amazing at maximizing real estate and they have done a simple masterful job at DLR IMO. But Real Estate is just that -and even with all the resorts, etc. in Florida plus the massive size of AK, they still got land to burn. I did the behind the scene tours this spring and the amount of land they have still is amazing. Heck they have a nursery in WDW that is the half the size of DCA.

DLR isn't trying to be like WDW. Most people who try to replicated WDW at DLR leave disappointed. They're not the same, they won't be the same, Disney isn't trying to make them the same.

I agree 100% - comparing WDW to DL is like apples to pumpkin pie. Both are foods but very different. DLR has that local vibe that WDW will likely never ever have. I respect that. I saw someone say SLR is like any another local them park. Living in the Charlotte area, comparing Carowainds (even with the folks at Cedar Parks making massive investments in the last 4 years) to DLR is rather hilarious.

Funny thing is DCA is maybe my second favorite overall park now. it is a very fun place and so well done. I know when it opened it was not that well received but Disney has really made it a great place. Gives me hope for HS in WDW. DCA feels like what HS can become maybe?

I kinda agree with this, but kinda don't. DLR isn't trying to be WDW - cause it can't. I'm sure they'd love to pack the place (DLR) with more actual tourists, spending all those food and lodging dollars. But the cost of more land to do so makes it a no-go. As a resort, DLR is no WDW and never will be.

On the other hand, I think they've given up any attempt to make MK a DL. Cause those tourist dollars can be captured regardless. As a park, MK is no DL (and never will be.)

I kinda agree with this, but kinda don't. DLR isn't trying to be WDW - cause it can't. I'm sure they'd love to pack the place (DLR) with more actual tourists, spending all those food and lodging dollars. But the cost of more land to do so makes it a no-go. As a resort, DLR is no WDW and never will be.

On the other hand, I think they've given up any attempt to make MK a DL. Cause those tourist dollars can be captured regardless. As a park, MK is no DL (and never will be.)
I think DLR knows that they'll never compete with the surrounding area. That's why they bought the land in FL in the first place. It will be interesting to see what they do next with several hotel options going up close by when previously it was mostly motels. They may up the themeing, but then they create a further price separation between themselves and the offsite hotels. They've completely done away with any attempt at a dining plan, they know they're not going to compete with the food options in the area.

Funny thing is DCA is maybe my second favorite overall park now. it is a very fun place and so well done. I know when it opened it was not that well received but Disney has really made it a great place. Gives me hope for HS in WDW. DCA feels like what HS can become maybe?
DCA has definitely downplayed the "Hollywood" theme since it opened. It's funny, because in a way that area had the most potential, especially since much of Hollywood as depicted in the parks is gone. A Brown Derby-like restaurant in that area would be great. Instead we got a boring food court (since closed) and the ABC Soap restaurant. I'd much rather see an old Hollywood style place than WCT. I can eat at CA/Italian places all over the state. There are no more Brown Derbys. I do think they've imprved on the boardwalk feel around the lagoon. Sure, they have a crazy mouse, swing, a ferris wheel, a carousel and some midway games, but they've added a lot of Disney elements and TSMM is a great addition comparied to Maliboomer. And Screamin is just a great coaster, Disney or in any other park. I do think that the food situation in the area can be improved, though.

Last edited:

Interesting points. I think DLR is trying to be like WDW in the resort sense which is why it built DCA, GCH and DTD. That was not an appeal to locals. It was an appeal to tourists. But they are not trying to be like WDW by replicating all the offerings WDW has. They do not have the space of course. But they also do not have the interest from the guests because of the locals vs. tourist ratio being different. They also have a different competitive landscape in SoCal vs. Orlando area.

An example we could look at is dining reservations. WDW does them 180 days in advance. DLR could do that too (and be more like WDW) but it makes no sense at DLR. So if DLR chooses to not be like WDW in this area, it is not because of space reasons. It is not because of a lack of dining options at DLR. It is not because they are too lazy or dumb. It is purely because the guest demographics are different and it does not make sense.

Another example: fireworks. MK offers nightly fireworks more often because they are not constrained by city guidelines. DL is constrained. That is kind of a space issue in that since WDW is bigger there are no neighborhoods nearby to complain. But fireworks every night could otherwise be done at DL. It is not like DL is too small to offer nightly fireworks. But then when DL does do fireworks, they seem to always be better than MK's. Maybe because WDI is closer to DLR than WDW? Maybe because DL has more repeat guests who are more discriminating than WDW's one every year or two tourists?

A final example which works in DLR's favor: overlays on rides. Since DLR appeals more to flexible locals they have more latitude to do Space Mtn GG (or even the current HSM), HMH and IASWH. This also works out better at DLR because they have a higher concentration of rides and thus taking down a major ride like HM for 2 weeks every fall and 2 more weeks in January has less of an impact that at WDW parks. I do not think WDW guests would tolerate this as well. So, once again, DLR is not like WDW.

:wizard:

OP, I enjoyed your post and even-handed observations. I found myself agreeing with you almost point for point. Glad you found enough of interest you plan to come back!

The overlays are so great and I wish WDW would do some of these. I understand the rationale posted - high local in DLR versus WDW, But the overlays like HyperSpace to me make the parks more interesting.

As far as dining, the proximity of Downtown Disney to me is a huge plus to dining. Yes it is not in the parks but it offers so many options. I found DCA's dining not so great but good grief Hollywood Studios is down right horrible right now. In fact as a WDW veteran we tend to NOT to eat in parks. Light breakfast in the room with big meal off property at lunch many days. So the lack of dining is not a killer to me personally

Did you mention Disneyland Forever fireworks? Not sure if I remember reading that.
Completely agree about most ride comparison except RSR is truly amazing and blows test track out of the water.
Wish you could have seen Fantasmic! at DL and the old Aladdin stage show.
Did you get to see Mickey and the Magical Map?
My favorite thing about DL is Fantasyland. So many dark rides and the ride concentration with Casey JR and Storybook is amazing.

Resort feel - Sorry but DLR lacks the WDW resort feel. Arriving Thursday night after a long flight, we just kind were there. We are so use to seeing the Welcome sign at WDW. DLR tries so hard but it is not a fair fight. GCH could be transplanted tomorrow to WDW and fit right in but even that struggles to feel super resorty.

I hear you! This was the one thing on our honeymoon (Paradise Pier- we got married at Castaway Cay and wanted to stick with the beach theme) we just couldn't get behind at DLR. Everything else is amazing, service is still spectacular at the resorts, and we are still definitely on-site or bust kind of people, but I do admit DLRs resorts just can't match up to WDWs! There's just something about walking out of your hotel and seeing a public intersection that throws someone with WDW as their home park off I think! Still amazing hotels though- all three of them!

Did you mention Disneyland Forever fireworks? Not sure if I remember reading that.
Completely agree about most ride comparison except RSR is truly amazing and blows test track out of the water.
Wish you could have seen Fantasmic! at DL and the old Aladdin stage show.
Did you get to see Mickey and the Magical Map?
My favorite thing about DL is Fantasyland. So many dark rides and the ride concentration with Casey JR and Storybook is amazing.
I found myself agreeing with OP on this as well. RSR has underwhelmed me. But I would take the original Test Track over the new one or RSR. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter