• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Yet another tip question

123SA

DIS Veteran
We have free dining for Sept. I am trying to estimate the amount of money I'll need for tips -- almost all of my meals are set price buffets. Party of 5. The 18% that disney calculates -- is that based on pre-tax figures?

So for Chef Mickey breakfast I have 2 adults at $23, 2 kids at $13 for a total of $72.00 -- do I multiply that by 18% or do I add on the tax (at what rate?) and then compute the tip?

Thanks for your help.

It is totally up to you how much you tip.
Since there are only 5 in your party then you will not be automatically charged 18%, this only happens if your party is 6 or more.
I personally think that pre-tax is just fine, I don't think tipping on a mandatory government fee is necessary, but again tip as you like :)

If you want to tip 18% here is the math:
18% of $72 is $12.96 (I will be rounding this to $13
tax on $72 is $4.68
Total to pay is $72+$13+$4.68=$89.68 total due with the 18% tip (since you are not a group of 6 or more you are not required to do the 18%...anywhere from 15% to 20% is considered normal.)

If I was paying cash I wouls call it $90 even,
On a cc I would do a strait $13 tip (So I don't have to try to figure out how much tip to add to $76.68 to make it come out to exactly $90)

clear as mud? I hope it helped a little.
:) Sheli

ps tax is 6.5%

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter