Yet Another Lawsuit: MagicBands are "infringing"

doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
Here's another one for Jack:

http://deadline.com/2015/04/disney-infringement-lawsuit-magic-brand-1201415188/

I haven't tracked down the patents yet, but it seems to be that there isn't anything novel about adapting RFID to track human beings, as said in the article. And I find it hard to believe that

...claim that no such radio frequency-based system worked “while near human beings” until they brought their product out.

I dunno...if I stash a CD in my jacket and walk out of Buy'n'Large, they sure do seem to know it...

i don't think that is the same company. That company is in Ohio. The plaintiff claims to be in California.

Oops...you're probably right...I think I followed a wrong link when I was searching for "tracking systems"...all I can find now are articles about them starting up around 2004/2005 like

http://www.rfidjournal.com/articles/view?1408

But they don't appear to have their own web site. Oh, and articles about how their system got shut down after a test run over privacy concerns, etc. :)

All I have to say is "EZTag" ,"SunPASS" ,"TxTAG" and TxDoT and TAMU traffic monitoring system.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV.

I've not read this any further either, but it seems to me that the technology of RFID devices, both active and passive, has been around for a while. I would think the party that first developed RFID technology would have some patent claim. I just don't know how a company that developed a particular application of RFID can claim a patent on that.

Deadline.com provided the complaint and if I did it right, the complaint should be a link in this post.

I am amazed that a small "startup" company would hire a one lawyer firm to bring a patent lawsuit against Disney concerning technology that Disney has invested (so the rumor goes) about $2 billion to develop.

The complaint is noticeably sparse on exactly how MyMagic+ infringes on the patents. Paragraph 13 alleges:

Disney has installed its attendance tracking system at a number of its theme or amusement parks at Walt Disney World Resort also known as Walt Disney World also known as Disney World (“Disney World”) where the system is used, among other things, to track attendance at each park, to track attendance on a system known as “FastPass,” to monitor a record of attendees at the parks and Disney hotels, to maintain a record of those utilizing FastPass, and to maintain a record of purchases made by attendees at the parks, all utilizing elements which infringe the 705 patent.
Understand that I could read the patents and not have a clue what they mean; I could even compare Disney's patents to InCom's patents and still be clueless (that is the benefit of having two degrees in music) but the description in the complaint is problematic for three reasons.

First, it does not recognize that there is a difference between "FastPass" and "FastPass+". In the patent world, attention to detail is crucial and this is a glaring error. It is fixable but the fact that the error was made tells me volumes about the level of research done prior to fling the complaint.

Second, the above paragraph seems to say, as Jeff points out, that anyone who uses RFID technology to "track attendance" or, as Mike points out, to pay for traffic tolls, would allegedly be violating this patent.

Third, the named defendant is the "Walt Disney Company" but Disney routinely takes the position that this company is a holding company for the other Disney corporations. Walt Disney Parks and Resorts operates the parks and, so I assume, is developing MyMagic+. Again, attention to detail is everything.

Fourth, even if the correct terminology were used, I think it far too simplistic to say that MyMagic+ or FastPass+ or magic bands simply "track attendance" or "monitor a record of attendees at the parks." The article Doc linked to stated that InCom developed the technology to simplify or streamline the task of taking attendance at schools. I always get suspicious when a lawyer tries to shoe-horn factual allegations to fit his legal theory (it should work the other way around). Saying MyMagic+ is about "tracking attendance" is like saying Mozart's greatest work was Twelve Variations on "Ah vous dirai-je, Maman" (the melody used for Twinkle Twinkle, Little Star). (Don't get me wrong, I like Twelve Variations but everyone knows that Mozart's Horn Concertos are his greatest work. :stir:)

But we live in the age of sensationalistic news so this complaint will get a lot of attention.

Attachments

• disney-magic-band-infringement-complaint-2.pdf
    252.9 KB · Views: 5
Thanks for the analysis Jack. I'm going to spend some time later today reading the complaint (yes, it is attached to your post) and hope to get some good chuckles out of it.

...now about Amadeus...

Attaching below the 185 patent.

Attachments

• US7336185.pdf
    495.7 KB · Views: 2
Another money grab lawsuit. I wonder how many "I want money" cases Disney is simultaneously defending? It's got to be a full time job!

Attaching below the 779 patent.

Attachments

• US7812779.pdf
    840.3 KB · Views: 3
Another money grab lawsuit. I wonder how many "I want money" cases Disney is simultaneously defending? It's got to be a full time job!

You can't imagine. Any large company gets sued a good bit by opportunists.

I set up a google alert for any story mentioning disney and lawsuits. Needless to say, I get a good bit of emails each day.

And if you googled "disney injury" you'll see that many of the results are for personal injury lawyers who specifically target Disney.

I can't complain - horn players have appropriated the Bach Suites for Unaccompanied Cello.

That's crazy. Running an entire law practice based on suing Disney? What a sad life that must be. :mad:

You can't imagine. Any large company gets sued a good bit by opportunists.

I set up a google alert for any story mentioning disney and lawsuits. Needless to say, I get a good bit of emails each day.

And if you googled "disney injury" you'll see that many of the results are for personal injury lawyers who specifically target Disney.

What's good for the goose...

Considering Disney would have been nothing if the copyright laws they bribed through were in effect back when Snow White came out... color me uncaring.

Disney has been going wild for awhile now, turn about is fair play and maybe this will get them to take another look at what couldn't have been if today's Disney was around when Walt started drawing a mouse on a napkin.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter